PDA

View Full Version : What Does Our Lineup/Formation Look Like Now?

ensco
12-12-2008, 04:49 PM
OK I know we still have tons of cap space, the draft is coming up, and we have the DP slot to spend....but this looks very good right now!

Dichio-Barrett
DeRo-Robinson-Guevara-Ricketts
Dunivant-Marshall-Brennan-Wynne

Ibbe and Jo Smith are first subs up front.

Velez (assuming he stays) and Harmse are first off the bench at the back.

If Marvell is sold, we will need to spend real dough on the back line.

Could Ricketts be gone as part of this, I wonder? His $200K salary may look heavy if we sign a DP.

Shakes McQueen
12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I hope they used allocation cash for DeRo's salary - I'd like to see him and Ricketts on the field together.

I'll need to see DeRo's actual salary, and how it's being paid to him, before I can say anything about moving players out.

- Scott

deschamp86
12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
----------------Dichio--------- Barrett
De Rosario-----Guevara-------Robinson------Ricketts
Brennan---------Marshall--------Harmse--------Wynne
-------------------------Sutton

Jack
12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm sure they'll use some allocation for DeRo.

(Amazing how the boards are hopping again!)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Fucking amazing.
Id definitely say hes on the wing.
Hes been not bad the last few years, not producing as much but i know coming home will light a spark!!

MG42
3-5-2!

zeelaw
Dicho-Barret
DeRo-Guevera-Ricketts
Robbo
Brennan-Marshall-Harmse-Wynne

Beach_Red
12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
It almost looks like someone had a plan.....

Nuvinho
12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I won't comment on the formation, because I have a feeling more things are to come.

stretchthetruth
12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
I won't comment on the formation, because I have a feeling more things are to come.

same here... this is a huge development!!!

Jack
12-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Agreed. This is one tick off of his shopping list. (A huge one, but still just one)

Big Bruva
12-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing DeRo in some kinda Stevie G-free role so he is free to create and score etc.

Hoping Amado stays, Robbo staying just became a bigger deal now DeRo is here coz Robbo can just sit and allow the likes of DeRo, Amado, Riko, Smith etc to run wild

They get a good DP striker, 2 quality centre backs and a 3rd that is at least decent, keep Marv and use the picks wisely, they are lol

kodiakTFC
12-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I am really excited about our lineup now, i think he was the final piece we needed. The top priority now is a CB i think.

Damien
12-12-2008, 05:53 PM
----------------DP Striker--------- Barrett

Canadian Blue
12-12-2008, 05:55 PM
[-----------DP Striker(Dichio)--------- Barrett-------------
De Rosario-------------Guevara-------------Ricketts
-----------------------Robinson-----------------
Brennan---------Marshall--------New CB--------Wynne
----------------------Sutton[/quote]

Hopefully one or two other solid additions will be made. I would love to have 2 new CBs and a solid back up for Sutton. Also having someone that can challenge Wynne for his place in the team would serve as good ammunition to help Wynne raise his game to the next level.

Damien
12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Wynne's probably gone at the next transfer, but hopefully mo can fix up that mess.

bhoybobby
12-12-2008, 06:02 PM
DP striker & or sweeper, we're a play-off team. De-Ro by himself's not enough. Nice pick-up tho

AL-MO
12-12-2008, 06:04 PM
3-5-2!

No three at the back!

giambac
12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
OK I know we still have tons of cap space, the draft is coming up, and we have the DP slot to spend....but this looks very good right now!

Dichio-Barrett

Could Ricketts be gone as part of this, I wonder? His $200K salary may look heavy if we sign a DP.

Now we are talking FINALLY.

This I must agree is an awesome deal. I'll taka DeRo over all the other palyers combined which Mo has brought over the past 2 seasons from the minor leagues in the Champions and Scottish League. This goes to show that there is talent out there right in our own backyard. This is a great pickup and I just hope this is the turning point where Mo fianlly changes his focus on where he is scouting talent.

Good pickup and we gave up basically nothing. Now get a quality striker and half decent back and hope Carver knows how to use them.

Good job Mo!

tlear
12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
4-5-1

Wynn -- DP -- Marshall -- Brennan
-------- Robbo ------------
Rickets -- Guevara -- Jo Smith
--------------- De Ro ---------
-------- Barret/Dichio ----------

Pachuco
12-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Now we are talking FINALLY.

This I must agree is an awesome deal. I'll taka DeRo over all the other palyers combined which Mo has brought over the past 2 seasons from the minor leagues in the Champions and Scottish League. This goes to show that there is talent out there right in our own backyard. This is a great pickup and I just hope this is the turning point where Mo fianlly changes his focus on where he is scouting talent.

Good pickup and we gave up basically nothing. Now get a quality striker and half decent back and hope Carver knows how to use them.

Good job Mo!

Giambac? is that you? :D

Roogsy
12-12-2008, 07:51 PM

I think my head may explode from the excitement at viewing this formation.

Not so sure about Harmse though...I'd like to see a solid defender in there, shoot..with DeRo up front...I'd spend the DP slot on a CB!

Playoffs here we come! BMO Field is going to be ROCKING!

Big Bruva
12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
4-5-1

This is the line up i like as of now coz it will most likely be changing.

DeRo has a free role

Stryker
12-12-2008, 08:17 PM
DeRo didn't come here to play wing. He doesn't like playing the wing and his value depreciates significantly. He came to play as an attacking mid. Someone who can take on defenders through the middle and get the ball to the strikers. Guevara is great don't get me wrong... my favorite player until this signing, but DeRo can do it better and if they play together than look out.

I still say that unless they sign a top notch CB they're gonna go to a 3-4-1-2 formation. Guevara will still play an offensive role and Robinson will be dedicated to defensive play.

-----------Barrett--------Dichio------------
-------------------DeRo-------------------
Smith-----Robinson-----Guevara-----Ricketts
-------Brennen----Marshall----Wynne------

gmacpheetfc
12-12-2008, 08:24 PM
No Pro team plays with 3 at the back unlikely formation

Stryker
12-12-2008, 08:28 PM
No Pro team plays with 3 at the back unlikely formation

Your absolutely right. Unless injuries or a lack of depth/skill at CB (ie TFC) call for it.

Stryker
12-12-2008, 08:34 PM
4-5-1

Thats a great formation. Which two players will be wearing the same jersey and how long before the ref catches on? :tongue:

jloome
12-12-2008, 08:37 PM
He can play him either behind a single striker or centrally in a 4-3-3 between Robbo and Guevara (who was better later in the year, when Carver made him stay back more and he provided more defensively.

Or he could play what they used to call inside-left or inside-right: a forward who drifts to the wideside of the box (a position he tends to favour anyway).

Both of those are achievable without playing him fully wide, which isn't his best spot.

They might be inclined to go with an attacking 5-2-3:

--------------Sutton--------------
------Velez(new CB) Harmse-- Marshall-------
Wynne---------------------------Brennan
----------Robbo------Guevara----------------
-----Ricketts-------------DeRosario----------
----------------Barrett----------------------

This also works because Barrett and Jo SMith can play either behind the striker or alone upfront, and it accomodates Danny D as a true target forward, holding up the ball. It's a narrow-field formation, because Wynne and Brennan have to mark up more, but with a flat-back three, you also have some room to get caught up.

Offensively, Barrett becomes your near-post guy, Ricketts or DeRo become your far post guy, Guevara and the other wide forward are the two trailers/set up players, with Robbon staying back to support the back three the vast majority of the time.

Or they could play a straight 4-4-1-1, with DeRo just behind Barrett. They have similar skills -- quick first touch, good passers, thunderous shots, and Barrett will do nothign but learn from DeRo.

One other big plus: If you consider that Anselmi's comments about not necessarily getting a DP were made when they probably already knew this deal was done, it could mean we're about to have a couple more signings; they'd have had to have know who else was likely coming in to have determined that they weren't going to require the DP spot to get it done.

Exciting stuff.

jloome
12-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Your absolutely right. Unless injuries or a lack of depth/skill at CB (ie TFC) call for it.

Except New England. And any other team that plays a 5-3-2, which isn't an uncommon formation.

(it's just semantics, dude. THe two wide players he has on there would normally be considered fullbacks, so it's actually five across the back. What throws it off here is that he has offensive players in that role. Just swap in Wynne and Brennan, and voila, it's a more normal formation.)

Stryker
12-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Whats with all these 12 player formations? Did Fifa change the rules this year? LOL.

jloome
12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Whats with all these 12 player formations? Did Fifa change the rules this year? LOL.

Mine only has 11, big guy. The one in brackets is whom I'd like to see replacing Velez, as in Velez(or a new CB, please god a new cb).

gmacpheetfc
12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
What about adding another Canadian International at the back Paulie??? Stalteri anyone know his current wage and situation with teh fulham loan and if he'd fit in?

jloome
12-12-2008, 08:58 PM
He's back at Tottenham and playing in the reserves. Based on Premiership norms and the german league, he's probably making between $12,000 and $20,000 a week, as they brought him in to start. (and he did for awhile.)

So if we had to pay the max (lots of players have taken cuts to move , however), he'd definitely be on DP or max plus allocation, at between $600,000 and $1 million a season.

Stryker
Mine only has 11, big guy. The one in brackets is whom I'd like to see replacing Velez, as in Velez(or a new CB, please god a new cb).

No I release that, I was refering to a couple others. God willing though that we find a new CB to replace Velez and he can sub. He's junk IMO.

gmacpheetfc
i fucked up hahah

Cas87
12-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Dicho-Barret
DeRo-Guevera-Ricketts
Robbo
Brennan-Marshall-Harmse-Wynne

I think this is the most likely since Robbo in a defending midfielder position was quite affective

Dub Narcotic
12-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Dichio-Barrett

I don't think there is any way Ricketts stays. He's not worth $200k. If he wanted to stay around for $100k, I would say yes, but De Ro does everything he does better.

jloome
12-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't think there is any way Ricketts stays. He's not worth $200k. If he wanted to stay around for $100k, I would say yes, but De Ro does everything he does better.

Wow. That's a horrible overstatement. DeRO had seven goals last year from midfield, but Ricketts had four, so it's not that far different. And DERo only had two assists. Yes, on the whole I think he's a more complete player (because for all his ball skills, RR seems very safe as a player) but DeRo isn't all it will take to make us a winning team; and he hates playing wide, whereas Ricketts is a superb crosser with both feet.

Stryker
12-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow. That's a horrible overstatement. DeRO had seven goals last year from midfield, but Ricketts had four, so it's not that far different. And DERo only had two assists. Yes, on the whole I think he's a more complete player (because for all his ball skills, RR seems very safe as a player) but DeRo isn't all it will take to make us a winning team; and he hates playing wide, whereas Ricketts is a superb crosser with both feet.
Agree with everything you said.

themodelcitizen
12-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Sutton/Edwards

Wynne/Harmse - Velez/Attakora - Marshall/Brennan - Dunivant/Gala

Robinson - Melo/Rosenlund

Ricketts/Ibrahim - Guevara/Gaudet - DeRosario/Smith

Dichio/Barrett/Ruiz

Stryker
12-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Ruiz won't have any part of team on opening day.

Redpunkfiddle
12-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Sutton/Edwards

Wynne/Harmse - Velez/Attakora - Marshall/Brennan - Dunivant/Gala

Robinson - Melo/Rosenlund

Ricketts/Ibrahim - Guevara/Gaudet - DeRosario/Smith

Dichio/Barrett/Ruiz

Haahahahhah hoh hooo hahah hhoo Ruiz.

Hahao.

torfchamilton
12-12-2008, 09:45 PM
When is Ruiz getting released?

MUFC_Niagara
12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
When is Ruiz getting released?

Soon hopefully...great to have DeRo here....Jack's sig line came true!!!

Stryker
12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Im trying to remember... didn't Robo play on the back line.. and play really well there?
If so maybe thats the plan. It'd allow them to keep a 4-4-2.
Trying to wrap my head around what formation makes the most since with Dero in and playing his natural position of offensive mid.
Obviously a lone striker isn't the answer... we saw how that faired and I don't think Barrett is up to it. Not to mention the harm it'd do to Ibbe's progress and Danny would practicaly never play.

Captain Croatia
12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
---------------Sutton--------------
-Wynne--Harmse---Marshall--Brennen-
-------------Robbocop---------------
--Rickkets---Guevara----DeRo!--------
-------Barrett------Ibby/Dichio------

or...

---------------Sutton--------------
-Wynne--Marshall---Brennen--Nana-
--------Robbocop------Harmse--------
--Rickkets---Guevara----DeRo!--------
----------------Barrett------------

Nuvinho
12-12-2008, 10:22 PM
didn't want to comment yet on the formation, because I have a feeling more things will happen.......but they could play the christmas tree formation, but that means either Dichio or Barett are on the bench, or even both if we get a DP.

I give in, here is my formation:

======================Sutton====================== =

Wynne=========New CB=======Trade for CB=========Brennan

======================Robbo======================= =

Ricketts========================================Sm ith

=============Guevara============DeRo============== =

=======================DP???======================

tlear
12-13-2008, 02:47 AM
No I release that, I was refering to a couple others. God willing though that we find a new CB to replace Velez and he can sub. He's junk IMO.

Mine had Dichio/Barret, meaning we would use one or the other. We would have Dichio, Barret, Ibby + draft picked striker and I think use DP on a defender. If we use DP at all. We could get 2 200k defenders instead..

James Oliphant
12-13-2008, 02:57 AM
I am really excited about our lineup now, i think he was the final piece we needed.

Really? Because the way I see it, we still need two centre-halves, a right fullback (anyone who thinks Wynne might be here next year is fooling themselves), a winger and a proper striker.

This was anything but the final piece...this was the first of many moves needed to get TFC into serious contention.

As for my guess at formation next year, I'm guessing it'll be something along the lines of a 3-5-1-1 with De Ro in a sort of free CF role, just ahead of Amado, just behind Dichio/Barrett.

-------------Sutton------------
??? -----------???------Brennan
-----Harmse------Robinson-----
Ricketts------------------Smith
------------Guevara-----------
-------------De Ro------------
---------Dichio/Barrett---------

Of course, that formation is heavily dependent on us filling GAPING holes in the central defence. Dunivant may be able to fill in at RCB, but I see problems with that. He's better in a wide position from what I've seen. Perhaps he moves to RCM in place of Harmse. That still leaves us with two very big holes to fill in the centre-halves.

And as you can tell, I'm assuming Marshall is done here too. Been hearing rumours of late.

Crocodile Silver
12-13-2008, 03:18 AM
One up front (Barrett)

Dero sitting in behind him. 4 across midfield, 4 at the back

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 03:24 AM

IF we need to free up some cap space (and we've still got about $1 million in allocation money after the DeRo deal so we probably won't) then I think it will be Guevara who's on his way out. DeRo will do what Guevara has done, but he'll do it better and more consistantly. If Wynne leaves in January, we'll end up with another $300-$400 in allocation money more than enough to replace Wynne and have some left over to improve elsewhere.

By the looks of things, we've got enough cap space/allocation to sign a DP striker and two quality ($250k type) center-backs. If Chad Marshall doesn't stick with his German club, we should give him the money that Columbus can't.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 05:12 AM
kinda think we will see a variation on 4-4-2 (a very loose variation, 4-1-3-2)
Granted DeRo doesnt necessarily play the wing straight out but has a tendency to move out that way and work on the space available as well as head in deep without hesitation. Guevara will still retain his attacking mid position but will play deeper back. Ricketts will still be an out and out winger switching back and forth when needed on either sides (which will be rarely as De Ro can cover his own). Arguably Barrett will play behind the other striker (while still shooting but not necessarily being the target man). Really the only mission now at this point is signing 2 solid CBs (at least) and that target man striker (rumors suggest Bosko Balaban)

--------------Sutton---------------
Wynne -----CB----CB----Brennan----

-------------Robbo-----------------
------------Guevara---------------
----Ricketts----------DeRo---------
---------Barrett----DP----------

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 05:14 AM
God i love semantics when it comes to formations (its rare that sematics are appreciated with regards to anything)

giambac
12-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Giambac? is that you? :D

It's me.:)

I'll give credit where credit is due:hump:

Mo mad a great deal. I didn't see this coming so fast. I thought we had a cjhance at DEro but probaly in 2010. So it was a surprise.

I just hope this is one piece of the puzzle and that he isn't done yet. We still need a quality striker (DP level) and a half decent back.

We are solid at midfield.

ensco
12-13-2008, 08:43 AM
I woke up this morning wondering about Sutton. Mo was willing to lose him in the expansion draft, don't forget. Getting DeRo means Sutton could more easily be moved for a US (or international) keeper.

I also think Ricketts really could be moving on. Too much style overlap with Guevara and DeRo. (I suppose it could be Guevara who goes instead.) What is needed to complement these guys is a "jugador vertical", who can work the quick through ball, as opposed to Ricketts, who either goes one-on-one (his strength) but otherwise mostly squares the ball. Guevara spent too much time last year too far back in the "jugador vertical" role, he should be receiving those passes, not making them.

I also think Dichio, if he stays healthy, could have a huge year with these guys, given his finesse on the ball. I'm less convinced we need a DP striker.

The backline is where I'd spend the dough.

Eli_Cash
12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
I woke up this morning wondering about Sutton. Mo was willing to lose him in the expansion draft, don't forget. Getting DeRo means Sutton could more easily be moved for a US (or international) keeper.

Sutton is staying. He was put on the list based on numbers. The number of dollar signs Sutton makes. Now, why would Seattle pick up another highly priced goalkeeper when they have Kasey Keller. It would have been stupid for Seattle to do that.

ensco
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Sutton is staying. He was put on the list based on numbers. The number of dollar signs Sutton makes. Now, why would Seattle pick up another highly priced goalkeeper when they have Kasey Keller. It would have been stupid for Seattle to do that.

No. TFC took a risk that Seattle would take Sutton to trade him. The fact this didn't happen probably confirms my view of TFC's opinion of Greg, and the market for him.

I don't want to re-hash the "Sutton" thing, but I think it's a general consensus here that the guy has had some great moments but is inconsistent, and has not really lived up to his billing, given he was a 4 time USL all-star and was a CMNT regular before he got here.

The GK position is very weak in MLS generally.

Broadview
12-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Now, why would Seattle pick up another highly priced goalkeeper when they have Kasey Keller. It would have been stupid for Seattle to do that.

I was worried they'd pull a "Mo Johnston" and nab him as trade-back bait. I still chuckle over the Jarrod Smith deal.

So far in this off season, everything's comin' up Millhouse!

Danbwoy
12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I feel like De Ro will bring out the best in Ricketts, assuming he's still around.. he's another big personality for Ricketts to play off of, with major skills, and I think Ricketts will thrive having another guy like that to be creative and cocky in midfield.

Dub Narcotic
12-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Ricketts was mediocre at best for most of the games last year. He was an ever-present during the horrible losing streak and had maybe one good game down that stretch. I agree that he has the skills to be an impact player, but apart from a few games, he most emphatically wasn't. MLS is all about dollar/unit of performance, and Ricketts gets way too much for what he brought last year.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Dont forget Ricketts hadnt played regular football in how long? played with an ever changing roster and was adapting to the team/city. I wouldnt write him off yet. Give him one more full season with a solid squad and then an educated judgement can be made

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 01:27 PM
The GK position is very weak in MLS generally.

I don't think so at all. If anything, the MLS has a reputation for good GKs. Brad Friedel, Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann and Brad Guzan all came through the MLS before going to play in the Premiership. Kasey Keller just returned from Europe with about 15 years of experience. Both of the CMNT keepers play in the MLS. There are some quality young keepers coming up in the league too...Caleb Patterson-Sewell (who's in NY Shite Bulls system) played for youth teams in Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool.

I think it's the terrible D in the MLS that make the keepers look bad ;)

CretanBull
12-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Dont forget Ricketts hadnt played regular football in how long? played with an ever changing roster and was adapting to the team/city. I wouldnt write him off yet. Give him one more full season with a solid squad and then an educated judgement can be made

I agree. Skill wise, he's a top end MLS talent. If he can focus on his consistancy, he'll be an All-Star.

Broadview
12-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Soooo...who gets to take the free kicks now?

ManUtd4ever
12-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Soooo...who gets to take the free kicks now?

I'd like to see it rotated between DeRo and Guevara...what a great predicament! :D

raj100
12-13-2008, 02:50 PM

remember that his 4 goals came in 2 games ( he scored 2 against colorado and 2 against chicago ) so he was not consistant at all

Stryker
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Ya know.. I think this could work really well.

4-3-3

---Barrett----Dichio----Ricketts--
----Robinson--DeRo--Guevara----
Brennen--Marshal--Velez--Wynne

I think this plays to everybodys strengths really well.
With this formation we won't have any true wings but Jimmy and Marvell will push forward if given the chance and Robinson and Guevara will drop back to cover for them. We'll always have 4 in the back, an amazing mid and three forwards.
Positives:
Ibby can be a straight swap for any of the forwards.
Ricketts gets to do his thing beating defenders from the outside
Barrett plays well from the left.
Danny gets his target man positon.
Brennen and Wynne get to save gas and only push forward when the opprotunities present themselves.
Harmse can be swapped for Guevara or Robo. If swapped for DeRo, move Guevara to center.

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a gut feeling, based on Mo's strinog hints and comments over the last couple of months, that we will trade Marshall to Seattle for their first round overall draft pick (with some makeweights in there somewhere in terms of cash and lower draft picks). We'll then pick up a top CB from outside MLS in January, along with a Designated Poacher. Mo will then use to draft picks 1, 2 and 4 to stock up on GA talent as cover and depth, and pick 13 to secure OBW. Our line up will then look like this next season:

==========Sutton=================

Wynne New CB Velez/Harmse Brennan/Duni

==========Robbo==================

===Ricketts=Guevara=De Rosario========

=====Poacher=====Dichio/Barrett======

Of course there are options and variations too, for example a flat 4-4-2 with Brennan/Duni on the left to add more defensive steel to midfield or even a 4-5-1 with one of our strikers playing a lone role. For 2010, Danny will probably retire and OBW can step up with the DP and Barrett, plus Ibbe of course.

What I like about this, is that a decent CB leading the line with Robbo just sitting in front fo the defence will add a lot more stability to the back line, whereas going forward we'll have three creative, attacking midfield players roaming around and a poacher to bag goals from inside the box either feeding off of Dichio or having Barrett sitting behind him to add to the creative force from midfield.

Of course, there are a lot of "ifs" in this scenario, but it's what Mo has been hinting at with his references to "doing a deal with Seatlle" for thier first overall pick and bringing in a DP...

tfcmanu
12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
As it looks like today.... "My Opinion"

==========Sutton=================

Wynne======Marshall======Brennan====Duni

============Robbo==================

===Ricketts===Guevara=De Rosario========

========Ruiz(not for long)=====Barrett====

woolly
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I would drop Robbo into the CB slot.

---------------------Sutton-----------------------------

Wynne--------Robbo-----------Marshall-----------Brennan

Ricketts-------Guevera---------De Ro-------------Jo. Smith

------------Barrett/Ibby--------Dichio/DP

I could get excited about that line-up!

tfc
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
There is no way you will see Robbo as a CB, not his position and there is no way Jo Smith is worth replacing him. Jo Smith will play as a sub winger or striker, maybe replacing Ricketts, Barrett, or Dichio.

Lucky Strike
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
4-4-2 diamond with passing focused (but not exclusively) through the middle. Guevara and Ricketts can stretch wide as necessary.

-----------Dichio - Barrett----------
-------------DeRosario-------------
---------Guevara - Ricketts---------
--------------Robinson-------------
Brennan - Harmse - Marshall - Wynne

On another note, I'm excited about Hitcho's intuition if it turns out to be correct.

...that we will trade Marshall to Seattle for their first round overall draft pick (with some makeweights in there somewhere in terms of cash and lower draft picks). We'll then pick up a top CB from outside MLS in January, along with a Designated Poacher. Mo will then use to draft picks 1, 2 and 4 to stock up on GA talent as cover and depth, and pick 13 to secure OBW.

Talent that GAs have aside, I think they're a great idea to stretch your salary cap since they don't count towards it.

spark
12-16-2008, 02:15 PM
remember that his 4 goals came in 2 games ( he scored 2 against colorado and 2 against chicago ) so he was not consistant at all

??? Considering he's a midfielder I think there's more to consistency than goal output.

Stugatzo
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
----Sutton-----

Wynne---Marshall or Velez---NEW CB----Brennan

Guevera---Robbo---Ricketts

-----Dero----

Barrett---NEW DP STRIKER

On the bench...Edwards, Harmse, Duni, Jo Smith, Ibby, Dichio

Lucky Strike
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
----Sutton-----

Wynne---Marshall or Velez---NEW CB----Brennan

Guevera---Robbo---Ricketts

-----Dero----

Barrett---NEW DP STRIKER

On the bench...Edwards, Harmse, Duni, Jo Smith, Ibby, Dichio

Yes that's good but...the title of the thread is : what does you formation/lineup look like NOW?

Stugatzo
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes that's good but...the title of the thread is : what does you formation/lineup look like NOW?
Which is irrelevant as the players we have NOW will not all be here when the season starts.
:rolleyes:

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 04:22 PM

fair point, but we've only signed one player so it's not like the team sheet can be radically different! It's also fair to say that more players will be acquired based on statements from MoJo and the club. So posting on how De Ro might fit into a predicted line up based on that seems reasonable enough, despite the thread title, no?

GingerNinja
12-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Why is everyone leaving Duni on the bench?

Hitcho
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Why is everyone leaving Duni on the bench?

Because unfortunately for TD, his position is probably now taken by either Capt Jim or De Ro, depending on where you put him. Can't see Brennan leaving or playing at CB again, so TD will have to make do with a place on the bench I reckon, unless we play 4-5-1 with Brennan LM and TD at LB.

Bobo
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Maybe its been mentioned already but what about a tree formation?

With the players we have NOW.

Sutton
Wynne--Marshall--Velez--Dunivant
--Ricketts--Robinson--Brennan--
-----Guevara-----DeRo-----
--------Barrett-------

Stryker
12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe its been mentioned already but what about a tree formation?

With the players we have NOW.

Sutton
Wynne--Marshall--Velez--Dunivant
--Ricketts--Robinson--Brennan--
-----Guevara-----DeRo-----

--------Barrett-------

The biggest problem I have with the tree is that I don't think Barrett can pot enough by himself. Even with Guevara and DeRo feeding him. The other problem that arises from the lone striker is that while Danny D can sub where is Ibby gonna get his playing time? He'll never develop if we play a lone striker. Besides, I think they're pushing Chad to play full games for a reason.
Nahhh.. they won't go with a lone striker again.

Lucky Strike
12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Which is irrelevant as the players we have NOW will not all be here when the season starts.
:rolleyes:

I don't doubt that's true, but we can't know for sure. Don't get me wrong, I wan't TFC to have new and better players but the truth is, there's no way we can predict the future.

jloome
12-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Uh, he's a winger on a team nearly devoid of finishers, while DeRo plays as an attacking midfielder and only scored three more goals all season. I think you missed the point.

Hugh Jazz
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
For people hoping Ibby gets lots of playing time next season I don't think it'll happen with the way things are shaping up.

Possible striker depth for next season:
1. DP striker
2. Barret
3. Dichio
4. One of our first rounders could likely be a striker
5. Ibby

At least he's still really young.

The Oz
12-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Ok, I know it's a bit of a bitch move to state this but, I just have this overall feeling that something is going to go really wrong. First Seattle only takes JARROD Smith in the expansion draft, and now we get DeRo for basically nothing? Who else is getting that "it's a little to good to be true" feeling. I don't know hy I'm saying this just, after a two years of getting the short stick I'm bracing for something bad to happen lol.

DoubleUp
12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
with dero now we dont need a DP that my friends is greed, tfc needs stability now and team building, with the core team and kids staying and playing atleast for another season for before people disappear.

BuSaPuNk
12-17-2008, 05:06 PM
For people hoping Ibby gets lots of playing time next season I don't think it'll happen with the way things are shaping up.

Possible striker depth for next season:
1. DP striker
2. Barret
3. Dichio
4. One of our first rounders could likely be a striker
5. Ibby

At least he's still really young.

That is completely fine with me....hope he can learn a few things on his tour of Europe with the Gen Adidas club....let him learn from DD and Barrett and well for that matter DeRo as well....the more knowledge he has about the game and the MLS he will be a formittable striker one day...

jloome
12-17-2008, 08:44 PM
That is completely fine with me....hope he can learn a few things on his tour of Europe with the Gen Adidas club....let him learn from DD and Barrett and well for that matter DeRo as well....the more knowledge he has about the game and the MLS he will be a formittable striker one day...

He's very, very young with lots and lots of potential. Slow is definitely the key there.

swan
12-18-2008, 01:27 AM
DP CB is what we need most

Yohan
12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
DP CB is what we need most
It seems to be harder finding a quality CB than a striker

Brooker
12-18-2008, 04:51 AM
DP striker or bust? :noidea:

IMHO i'd say yes. cuz i think MO has something up his sleeve to give a little help to our defensive troubles.