PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Friday , Dec.12

denime
12-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Season seats sold out for '09
Reds cap season sales at 16,000

Toronto FC announced Thursday that the team has sold out its season seats for the 2009 Major League Soccer season. The team has capped season sales at 16,000 for the second straight season. The team is also proud to announce that 95% of those season seats came in the form of renewals. As well, over 400 full season seats were sold to those on the team's waiting list, which translates into 200 "graduates" for the 2009 season.
"We're amazed at the support by our fans," said Toronto FC Senior Director of Business Operations Paul Beirne. "Having these "graduates" become season seat holders is exciting for us too. It's about welcoming and engaging new supporters for the upcoming season, who will now be able to experience the exciting atmosphere and not miss a minute of game day at BMO Field."

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=208698&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Gen adidas impress against West Ham
Somma strikes twice in MLS standouts' best performance of tour

In the most impressive performance of their three-game England tour, the MLS select Generation adidas team fell 3-2 to a formidable West Ham United reserve squad Thursday afternoon at Hornchurch Stadium in East London. Davide Somma (San Jose Earthquakes) bracketed an early West Ham strike with a pair of first-half goals of his own. The GA squad controlled possession for most of the game and proved to be the more aggressive attacking side, but the tough task of playing three games in four days showed, as fatigue set in late in the second half and West Ham scored the tying and winning goals in the final quarter of the match.

In the 69th minute, a failed clearance by Abdus Ibrahim (Toronto FC) resulted in a Fred Sears goal ...Read more (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081211&content_id=208739&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp)

Tough Ticket in Toronto
By Steven Goff,Washington Post blog

Despite missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year, Toronto FC has sold all 16,000 season tickets for 2009. According to the club, 95 percent of ticket holders renewed their full-season packages. TFC leaves about 4,000 seats available for partial season ticket packages and single-game sales.
Might we see the same Canadian enthusiasm if Vancouver is given an expansion team?

Some comments from his blog :

Wow, that is awesome. I will never say that any team has fans better than those in DC, but to sell 80% of seats for the whole next season by mid-December is pretty amazing.
More good news more TFC. Their fans deserve some stadium improvements for their loyalty. How about an actual facade, more roofing and natural grass?
Vancouver has always been a better soocer town than Toronto.:nono: I live in Toronto and I am surprised by the success and the biggest reason for it is that MLSE has advertised the team and MLSE has strong pull in the media.Read more (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2008/12/tough_ticket_in_toronto.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

justin
12-12-2008, 08:14 AM
hey guys, expand will ya? i want seasons. thanks.

Redcoe15
12-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Mmmmmm, now that's a nice, tight body on that Sunshine girl! :yum:

jabbronies
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Vancouver has always been a better soocer town than Toronto.:nono: I live in Toronto and I am surprised by the success and the biggest reason for it is that MLSE has advertised the team and MLSE has strong pull in the media.

???? The media doesn't like TFC

Joe Kool
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Vancouver has always been a better soocer town than Toronto.:nono: I live in Toronto and I am surprised by the success and the biggest reason for it is that MLSE has advertised the team and MLSE has strong pull in the media.

Anybody living in Toronto should know that I would think. TFC gets little press and any they get is usually fairly small in comparison to the other sports. This guy is way off to assume our ticket sales is somehow based on a strong pull in the media even if we did have it. There are lots of football fans from every culture here plain and simple.

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Anybody living in Toronto should know that I would think. TFC gets little press and any they get is usually fairly small in comparison to the other sports. This guy is way off to assume our ticket sales is somehow based on a strong pull in the media even if we did have it. There are lots of football fans from every culture here plain and simple.

He probably saw one of the Carlsberg Jimmy B's in the beer store 2yrs ago and decided all of Toronto is red now.

Beach_Red
12-12-2008, 10:21 AM
A lot of people have lived in Toronto for a long time and not noticed how much it has changed. "Vancouver has always been a better soccer town," might have been true twenty-five years ago (though even then it woul dhave been a tough call) but those days are gone.

keem-o-sabi
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Today's daily hottie (http://coedmagazine.com/daily/46149/)

greatwhitenorf
12-12-2008, 03:56 PM

That's not accurate.

In their initial sales of season tickets, TFC hit the 14,000 mark having only put up a billboard near the Gardiner and done some grass roots connecting with local soccer clubs. Any serious advertising and promo came later.

And if you were to talk with any of the top sports editors in this city, you'd find very few of them as fans of MLSE. In fact, there's a probably a tendency to strive for the negative angle when referring to them. Being the junior club in this city, TFC are likely viewed as a soft target.

That's due to change very soon.