PDA

View Full Version : Miami -- Sucks

James17930
12-11-2008, 10:05 PM
When Miami first submitted their bid, Garber was talking about a new SSS on the Orange Bowl site. Great, perfect.

Now, why is a university stadium to be shared with a football team suddenly okay?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/xzayvier07/mia_fiustadiumrendering.jpg

Is he lowering his standards all of a sudden, or what? Is the pitch -- which is also artificial the moment -- going to look like shit, with either lines on it or splotches of paint from where they've tried to cover up the lines?

I think it's crap.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the SSS is still part of the overall plan, but it seems to have gone from a definite part of the bid to an indefinite part. Also I think you must mean the Orange Bowl as the Rose Bowl is in So Cal.

Parkdale
12-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Remember last year when garber said that a SSS was a REQUIRED part of any expansion bid?

Either way, I'll be there,

ben_vw
12-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that San Jose's new stadium will be shared with a university.

Redcoe15
12-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Doesn't matter how bad it looks, the stadium and the bid, Miami's getting in because Garber wants it to happen with Barcelona. He's done this before. He let San Jose in even though they didn't have a stadium deal in place, and he allowed Seattle in even though they're going to play in the oversized Qwest Stadium where the NFL Seahawks play. Garber will bend his own rules if it suits his purpose.

What's galling here is that, despite the timetable for there to be two teams in 2011, FC Barcelona is demanding they be allowed to start up in 2010 or they're taking their bid off the table. Joey Saputo also made demands for his bid in Montreal and MLS told him to take a hike. But they haven't done the same with the Miami bid. If they do givein to their demands you can bet there will be howls of outrage over this decision. Especially given how MLS failed down there before and how much of a shitty sportstown Miami is.

troy1982
12-11-2008, 11:26 PM
The Miami bid will have control of most game day revenue which is why SSS are being built in the first place, so it is a SSS for all intent and purpose.

James17930
12-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I think the SSS is still part of the overall plan, but it seems to have gone from a definite part of the bid to an indefinite part. Also I think you must mean the Orange Bowl as the Rose Bowl is in So Cal.

Fixed.

Toronto Ruffrider
12-11-2008, 11:59 PM
When Miami first submitted their bid, Garber was talking about a new SSS on the Orange Bowl site. Great, perfect.

Now, why is a university stadium to be shared with a football team suddenly okay?

Is he lowering his standards all of a sudden, or what? Is the pitch -- which is also artificial the moment -- going to look like shit, with either lines on it or splotches of paint from where they've tried to cover up the lines?

I think it's crap.

Is that field even large enough for soccer? Soccer pitches are quite a bit wider than American football fields.

Edit: Here's a picture of FIU Stadium. Apart from looking strikingly similar to Crew Stadium, it does not appear to be wide enough to host soccer games. An average soccer pitch is at least 20 yards wider than a gridiron pitch, and I have a hard time picturing the Beautiful game in that venue.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/3028192500_18bb36b595.jpg

Redcoe15
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
The Miami bid will have control of most game day revenue which is why SSS are being built in the first place, so it is a SSS for all intent and purpose.
If MLS truly believes FIU Stadium is a proper SSS then we'll all know how fucked their priorities are. There are better places for them to go that they'll obviously ignore or say to them "fuck off".

Cashcleaner
12-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Remember last year when garber said that a SSS was a REQUIRED part of any expansion bid?

Either way, I'll be there,

I don't recall that. I have never heard anyone from the league mention it. People really have to shake off the myth that a soccer-specific facility is mandatory for new franchises. I've yet to see anything official to suggest they are.

Keystone FC
12-12-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't recall that. I have never heard anyone from the league mention it. People really have to shake off the myth that a soccer-specific facility is mandatory for new franchises. I've yet to see anything official to suggest they are.

I think Garber did say that a 'SSS is part of the planning' for future expansion bids and then came along Seattle with the owner of Qwest Field in hand and Garber turned a bind eye.

I do think Garber hedges his bets and makes decisions based on certain criteria that may or not apply considering certain factors.

Basically it comes down to the Benjamins...or in your case the Bensons.

werewolf
12-12-2008, 04:57 AM
We share our stadium with every Tom, Dick and Harry in the Golden Horseshoe, we really shouldn't be looking down on other teams.

Lucky Strike
12-12-2008, 08:30 AM

According to Garber, new teams must have an SSS or at least have a viable plan to construct an SSS.

james
12-12-2008, 10:19 PM

I think it's crap.

i dont mind if they share the stadium......just as long as they get those dam NFL Football type of gridlines off when there is a Soccer game!

I dont care to much if the surface is real grass or not, because to be honest i dont think it really effects the skill on the field, and even tho some people say big star names will never come play on turf is bull shit......maybe there is some players that wont, but there is many that will if you pay them enough money!

Shakes McQueen
12-12-2008, 10:25 PM
We share our stadium with every Tom, Dick and Harry in the Golden Horseshoe, we really shouldn't be looking down on other teams.

Yes, but we are the primary tenants of our house.

- Scott