PDA

View Full Version : MLS commissioner likes Merritt Paulson's pitch.

tfcmanu
12-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber on Tuesday pumped up Portland's chances of landing an expansion team in 2011.
In one interview after another -- more than a dozen in all during a one-hour swing through PGE Park -- Garber called the city as a potential favorite to win one of two expansion slots MLS plans to award early next year.
The other five cities seeking a franchise are Atlanta, Miami, Ottawa, St. Louis and Vancouver, B.C.
"Portland's got a very good shot of coming into our league," Garber told The Oregonian, before adding the caveat, "if they can complete this process with the city."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/12/mls_commissioner_likes_paulson.html

Mark in Ottawa
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
"Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber Tuesday told a city task force he wants Portland to be home to one of the league’s next franchises."

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2008/12/08/daily27.html

"Paulson, son of U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, says he will cover the $40 million expansion fee imposed by the league. But he’s asking the city to fund $40 million in renovations needed for PGE Park and a new $35 million baseball stadium for the Beavers with city bonds. He proposes repaying the bonds through revenue generated by rentals and ticket fees."

ilikemusic
12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Portland is the best city left in the US. I hope they go there before anywhere else.

And I dont care what anyone says, PGE park is awesome!

TOBOR !
12-11-2008, 01:23 PM
more of the same can be read here : http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/6491-mls_commissioner_portland.html

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Portland is the best city left in the US. I hope they go there before anywhere else.

And I dont care what anyone says, PGE park is awesome!

I would put Portland in Before Miami thats for sure......Portland and Ottawa for 2011!!!

deeznutz
12-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Does it say anything about TFC LANDING a DP????

Redcoe15
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
My preferance, at this stage: Vancouver, St. Louis and Portland to battle for the two spots. Miami, Atlanta and Ottawa can go go fuck off!

Brooker
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Miami, Atlanta and Ottawa can go go fuck off!

^^so true. +1.

go portland, go!

Fort York Redcoat
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
You'd rather go to Portland than Ottawa? Just sayin' I'll go to every Ottawa away game. I don't care who deserves at team. Only if their Canadian.

And has DG pissed on any of the bids (other than Mon.)?

Cashcleaner
12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
^ I don't get it either. What's so bad about having a rival located less than 5 hours away? Last time I checked, that would be a good thing.

rocker
12-12-2008, 10:55 AM
i originally didn't like the Ottawa bid because i figured it would take away from Montreal's chances. But with Montreal gone, bring in Ottawa! Even if I don't think their market is good enough, who cares? Teams with 10000 fans a game survive in MLS thanks to the cap and revenue sharing. Ottawa would definitely get more than 10000 a game. So they'd be fine. And we'd get more soccer infrastructure in Canada, plus a good rival for us.
And we could laugh at montreal ... "HAHHAHA.. OTTAWA got in and you didn't.. suckas!"

ilikemusic
12-12-2008, 02:14 PM
I still dont believe Ottawa's bid has any real legs at all.