PDA

View Full Version : CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals Draw

ben_vw
12-10-2008, 04:41 PM
http://www.tfcconnected.com/2008/12/quarterfinals-draw-for-concacaf.html

Today was the quarterfinals draw for the CONCACAF Champions League. Of the eight remaining teams, only one, the Houston Dynamo, is from MLS, and two, the Montréal Impact and the Puerto Rico Islanders, are from the USL. The remaining five clubs are Atlante FC, Cruz Azul, Pumas UNAM, and Santos Laguna of Mexico, and CD Marathon of Honduras.

Here is how the draw went:

Houston Dynamo v. Atlante FC
Montréal Impact v. Santos Laguna
CD Marathon v. Puerto Rico Islanders
Pumas UNAM v. Cruz Azul

Of the four, the pairing of Pumas and Cruz Azul looks like it should be a good one. All eyes in Canada will be on the Montréal Impact as they look to continue their fairytale run.

Billy the kid
12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm predicting the cinderella run of the USL teams is about to come to a screaching halt. They haven't played in some time.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm predicting the cinderella run of the USL teams is about to come to a screaching halt. They haven't played in some time.

prob a safe bet, thats not to mention the fact that hte quality of teams have somewhat gone up (granted montreal did have a difficult group and do quite well). Im looking forward to it none the less

jloome
12-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I think Montreal will get past Santos Laguna. I know on paper that's nuts, but the Mexican teams were in season in the prelims and Montreal did OK. There's a certain sense it means a lot to them, and I'm not sure that's true with the Mexican teams.

Plus, won't Blanco be cup tied? Losing a key player always throws off the equilibrium a bit.

stugautz
12-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Any word one where the Montreal game will be played?

sidvan
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
big owe

Keystone FC
12-11-2008, 05:16 AM

I know Montreal will host the 1st match......in FEBRUARY! Poor Santos.
:canada:

Edit: From the Impact website:

The Montreal organization still does not know if it will play its quarterfinal game at the Olympic Stadium but remains optimistic.

“We are still waiting for an answer,” said Impact Executive Vice President Richard Legendre. “Everybody is looking for a solution and we see the willingness of all the people involved. The Olympic Stadium remains the only true option.”

The whole story:
http://montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1039&Focus=0

Fort York Redcoat
12-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey look where Velez would be if he had stayed in Peurto Rico...

Azerban
12-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey look where Braz would be if he had stayed in Toronto...

fixed

Technorgasm
12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
God its depresing to see the Impact still in it.

Derko
12-11-2008, 11:24 AM
God its depresing to see the Impact still in it.

TFC should be there, had we not been such a disfunctional unit in the Summer of 2008!!!

Billy the kid
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I believe there are a few players that played for montreal whose contracts ended and they have yet to sign. I think their keeper is fielding offers from MLS teams.

Beach_Red
12-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Do all the same roster restrictions and salary cap apply to CONCACAF Champions League play?

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-11-2008, 05:48 PM
TFC should be there, had we not been such a disfunctional unit in the Summer of 2008!!!

yes a game at BMO in february would be great!!:eek:

flatpicker
12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn it would be chilly having a game outside in February! Montreal or Toronto!

But talk about getting the upper hand on those teams from the south!