PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Tyrone Marshall to Seattle?

Damien
12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Just thought i'd give us a rumor to discuss today...

Crew head coach Sigi Schmid officially left the club yesterday (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/12/10/crew121008.ART_ART_12-10-08_C1_GQC6GMD.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=Schmid%27s+tenure+with+Crew+ends). Ives Galarcep says it's inevitable Schmid will end up in Seattle any time now (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/crew-officially-says-goodbye-to-sigi-next-stop-seattle.html#more). This is no doubt a kick in the Paul Jewells for Crew fans, but I'd much rather lose Sigi than Guillermo Barros Schelotto if I had to pick between the two. As Kristian Jack mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Schmid is an keen admirer (http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2008/11/26/3299.aspx) of Toronto FC defender Tyrone Marshall and could try and make a move for the Jamaican.

Oldtimer
12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Means nothing, he can't force him to come to Seattle. He'd have to offer something of value to TFC (and deal with Trader Mo).

T.Reis
12-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Tyrone is one of those guys you don't see how much of an impact he has until he's gone. We need someone for him to play with at the back, not trade him and then be in need of 2 starting CB's

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah, its been floating around for a bit, Marshall and Sigi go back to when Sigi coached LA. Sounds fine to me, interesting to see what we'd get, hes not exactly in his prime, he'd be ok coupled with someone who could captain a back line

Hitcho
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
What could they give us though? Their first overall draft pick I suppose, but we need an expoerienced CB more than we do first overall pick. Ja Smith isn't worth Marshall, so no chance of him coming back and we have Jo Smith anyway.

I'd take their first overall pick and some allocation money I suppose, but only if MoJo has got TWO decent CBs lined up to come and join us (and by that I mean all but sugned, not potential candidates).

Yohan
12-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Trade Marshall now while he's got some value left. Marshall is getting a bit too old and starting to lose pace which he never really had much of.

If we must, I can live with Jimmy B in LCB position plus new CB. Though Jimmy B doesn't have the greatest of defensive awareness

Roogsy
12-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I agree that Jimmy should stay on the left. He can move up and provide offensive help and at the same time do his thing on D. I agree he isn't the best defender, but he isn't bad either.

Strikers
12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
In the expansion draft thread I mentioned that the only reason Seattle picked Ja Smith instead of the other Smith was because Mojo had a side deal that would send Marshall to Seattle for Jeff Parke.

Yohan
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
In the expansion draft thread I mentioned that the only reason Seattle picked Ja Smith instead of the other Smith was because Mojo had a side deal that would send Marshall to Seattle for Jeff Parke.
source?

Hitcho
12-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Interesting. I could live with that - parke is much younger and has a decent MLS reputation (although I didn't really focus on him much last season). We'd still need a top CB to play alongside him though.

Hitcho
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
source?

Clearly that can only be MoJo or an equivalent insider st Seattle!

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Marshall and Wynne were our best defenders and would not like to see either of them go.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Could deal with the Parke thing, like Hitcho said tho we would need a top CB to play along side of him

Nuvinho
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Don't forget also that Mo may really want 1 or 2 players in the superdraft, and could move the 4th and 13th pick with Marshall for Parke and the 1st overall.

Seattle could be interested in stockpiling younger players. Its all speculation, but that's all we can do during these dog days of the offseason.

RedRum
12-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Marshall has done alright for us, however he is prone to getting caught out of position. Coupled with the fact that the ref's always seem to judge him harshly on debatable calls, it's just as well he moves on.

Troll
12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
If we get rid of Marshall, I bet we'll see an 84% decrease in straight red cards and PK's called against us.

jloome
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Could deal with the Parke thing, like Hitcho said tho we would need a top CB to play along side of him

Parke's not expected to re-sign with the league; he's expected to go to Europe. Trading Marshall effectively for his rights would be a foolish gamble when we already have a weak backline.

That's particularly true when you consider Marshall is our strongest defender but isn't strong enough to, uh, marshall the backline.

I'm sure Schmidt does like him; he's dependable and when he was at LA was an all-star. He's older and the conventional wisdom would be you trade a depreciating asset; but you still need a replacement, and we don't have it yet.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Prob with trading for Parke is that Parkes contract is gone so theres no certainty that he will stay in the MLS let alone with TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
I see that we are thinking alone the same line.

Technorgasm
12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Sigi is Qeen of the Harpies.

MArshall is a Key in our defence. we need him.

Im not saying he is absolutely irreplaceable.

but if we are to spend on Fwds, then we need the back to remain solid.
he is a key component of that.

Velez? is he still here?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Thats without a doubt one of the biggest probs in this upcoming season is whether there will be any defenders of starting quality worth trading for (as well as whether the team trading for them will reasonable)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
also im curious to see how downgraded other teams defenses are this season with the loss of solid defenders.

Damien
12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
If we get rid of Marshall, I bet we'll see an 84% decrease in straight red cards and PK's called against us.

you mean Velez :rolleyes:

GabrielHurl
12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
also im curious to see how downgraded other teams defenses are this season with the loss of solid defenders.

Well New England are definitely screwed with Parkhurst in Europe now

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Well New England are definitely screwed with Parkhurst in Europe now

Marshalls leaving Columbus, that argies leaving Dallas etc etc.
Houston still has theirs, Chicago has a plethora as well anyone else think of a team with solid defense?

jloome
12-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Marshalls leaving Columbus, that argies leaving Dallas etc etc.
Houston still has theirs, Chicago has a plethora as well anyone else think of a team with solid defense?

We should trade for Lider Marmol from Chicago; he's not getting time there and has been regarded as a major prospect for several years now. CJ Brown is also a good veteran centre back from Chi Town who would be an improvement over what we've got, and at 33 they may want to move him, given that they have both Soumare and Conde (although they're both heavily rumoured to be leaving, too.)

That team is defence and winger-heavy. I wonder if all the McBride nonsense might get in the way of a deal, though.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
i suspect Marmol will be seeing more time with the leaving of Conde and Soumare, which is unfortunate as he'd be a great signing. Also think that that whole Mapp for James thing might go through. Then again, if we are looking at Keon Daniel, perhaps the mapp trade is less likely.

jloome
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
i suspect Marmol will be seeing more time with the leaving of Conde and Soumare, which is unfortunate as he'd be a great signing. Also think that that whole Mapp for James thing might go through. Then again, if we are looking at Keon Daniel, perhaps the mapp trade is less likely.

Mo's got a big plus in moving for Daniel, in that he has the obvious Rangers connection and it's generally easier to get a work permit in the Scottish league than the English. Given that proposed moves to Man U and West Ham have already fallen through for the kid based on work permit, you gotta think Mo is selling him on "I'm best to further your career."

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 04:39 PM
That would be amazing.
Dude would be great to have even for just a season.

Bobo
12-13-2008, 09:22 AM

If Marshall should leave without seeing a new CB come in (which Mo won't do) then we could be seeing a Velez-Harmse backline...

poppamidnight
12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Would seattle give up their 1st rounder next year for him?

Move him for a pick, and fill his spot with a d from this years draft (is Yohance Marshal central d?)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-13-2008, 01:18 PM
fill a sorely needed cb spot with a player that has no MLS experience?
no thanks, too dodgy.
If we rid of him we gotta bring in some topshelf vets

ChrisLav
12-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Marshall's got to leave, else DeRo may not get #14

Roogsy
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Who cares about whether DeRo gets his 14? I am sure they will work it out as professionals.

What should matter is whether Marshall is a fit. For now, he is a solid CB on a team that is missing pieces in the back. For the moment, I don't want to see him go unless we have another plan in place.

Brooker
12-14-2008, 12:05 AM
if we get rid of Ty, we're screwed. sure the guy does fuck up from time to time.... but not nearly as much as he saves our ass. then again with Marshall the only time his name comes up is if he makes a mistake. never gets much recognition.

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Marshall's got to leave, else DeRo may not get #14

DeRo can get another number....thats Marshalls number and he should keep it...Unless DeRo wants to purchase it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-14-2008, 12:09 AM
if we get rid of Ty, we're screwed. sure the guy does fuck up from time to time.... but not nearly as much as he saves our ass. then again with Marshall the only time his name comes up is if he makes a mistake. never gets much recognition.

exactly, we need him back there, there was one defender who didn;t screw up on occassion this year. Marshall must stay on the team.

Shakes McQueen
12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't want prospects starting on our backline next year, so unless a club can offer someone of equal or greater value defensively, or Mo has some Europeans/South Americans/Africans lined up to be signed, I say Marshall stays.

He isn't great, but at least he is a known quantity to us, and has been playing in our system for a while now.

However, if the opportunity for someone better opens up - drop him like it's hot.

- Scott

BuSaPuNk
12-14-2008, 02:53 PM
DeRo can get another number....thats Marshalls number and he should keep it...Unless DeRo wants to purchase it.

He'll probably end up getting his number. It will be like every other sport, new guys comes to a team wants his number....they buy the guy dinner or some shit. Could always be like the NFL or NBA guys buying there numbers with Rolls Royces and Jags and shit...

Hitcho
12-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Only way I could see Tyrone being traded is if MoJo has got a top level CB up his sleeve and wants to free up some cap space. That way, Tyrone would go, the new CB would come in and we'd have Velez/Harmse for the second CB spot with draft picks 1, 2 and 4 to secure another good young CB to replace Julius James following the De Ro trade.

Add in a DP striker, and MoJo's winter magic will be complete...