PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Dec. 10

denime
12-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Ibrahim gets England experience
Reds striker plays for Generation adidas

Toronto FC's teenage striking sensation Ibee Ibrahim played the full game for the Generation adidas team on the first match of their European tour in England Monday. The 17 year old was in the MLS select team that fell 1-0 to Reading's reserve team. The game was fairly even, with Generation adidas having more of the possession but failing to put the ball in the back of the Reading goal. Reading scored in the 20th minute when a pass from Eric Avila (FC Dallas) in the midfield was intercepted by a Reading midfielder and played to center forward David Mooney. His low, hard shot, tight to the post, beat goalkeeper Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake) to his right-hand side.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081209&content_id=208223&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

And some other MLS news;

Schmid decides to part ways with the Crew
Read more (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=600861&cc=5901)

Parkhurst to join Denmark's FC Nordsjaelland
Read more (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=600858&cc=5901)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

werewolf
12-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Those are pretty big losses for Columbus and NE.

Good for Ibbe getting some European experiance. Just hopefully he doesn't bolt when he turns 18.

Fort York Redcoat
12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
No biggie. Ziggy goes to Seattle for a new challenge and Parkhurst gets his shot in Europe. Hope for him and the league they get back in the Uefa Cup.

Hitcho
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Those are definitely big losses. Changing coach means more than just hiring some new guy. The new coach will want to re-shape the squad a bit, adjust the training methods and tactics and will need time to get to know his players and their strenghts etc, even if he's already got MLS experience. When the rumour surfaced abotu carver going to the barcodes there was 27 pages of panic on here, and we came last in the East. Sigi just won the Spew the MLS Cup - huge loss.

Parkhurst is also a big player for NER. Big loss to their back line. Look how we're struggling to find a top level defender. NER will find it just as hard.

Both Eastern Conf teams though, so this is good nes for TFC...

Roogsy
12-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Maybe it's the next era in MLS. Houston and New England have been dominating for years. (Not Columbus though...this was just one of those magical years for them that I doubt they will repeat.) I am looking forward to seeing the next batch of teams that will dominate, and I hope TFC will be among them.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Yep, it certainly looks like its TFCs to lose.
Time to step up and dominate TFC.

poppamidnight
12-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Personally, im more excited about Ibby getting that playing time.
Really he didnt get all that much of a chance to develop this year (albiet it was more than his previous years), partially due to injury, partially due to playing time (lets face it you dont develop coming on as a 80 minute sub)

I hope Ibbe gets more game action heading into this year, thereby developing him further so we see him more on the pitch for us next year

Hitcho
12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe it's the next era in MLS. Houston and New England have been dominating for years. (Not Columbus though...this was just one of those magical years for them that I doubt they will repeat.) I am looking forward to seeing the next batch of teams that will dominate, and I hope TFC will be among them.

Well NER certainly failed to impress for much of last season, and houston weren't that convincing dspite winning their conference. I wouldn't write columbust off for next season just yet though. The core of their squad is all there, including GBS. Sigi leaving will be a blow that they need to recover from though.

I think all the additional games the top teams have to play now is hurting them in league terms. DC were crippled by the Cl last season, and NER felt the pain too, as did Houston. I'm in the minority of TFC fans who are glad we didn;t win the VC and make it into the CL, because I genuinely think it would have killed us before we'd even begun if you look at our squad, not to mention the international problem we already have.

We're not looking set to dominate any time soon though. We're at best still laying solid foundations.

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Columbus must have used Exlax cause Schmid has gone !!

Bender
12-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Columbus must have used Exlax cause Schmid has gone !!

LOL WHAT! I donno if i'm laughing cuz it was hilarious or laughing cuz it was so stupid but either way, bravo lol