PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU think???

ua-kozak_TFC
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Don;t mean to be a shit stirrer. but just wanted to have a feel for the consensus of the people...

MrHawk
12-09-2008, 10:07 AM
I had to beat them to death with their own shoes.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2008, 10:15 AM
not entirely sure what you mean 'be a failure'?
be a failure as a franchise?
Be a failure as a team?

Ill be upset if we dont make the playoffs and possibly call for someones head depending on how not making the playoffs was accomplished

DOMIN8R
12-09-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't unserstand the question.

Carts
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Yes it will...

Not making the playoffs any season is a failure...

Sure, some years your chances are better than others, but every player goes out there to win enough games to give them a chance at making a cinderella run in the playoffs...

Once in the playoffs, anything can happen. Not making them / therefor not giving yourself the chance to make that cinderella run, is a failure...

Carts...

ua-kozak_TFC
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok i will refrase my question, sorry if i wasn't clear.

Do you think that not making the play-offs next year, is sign of failure of the 5 year plan, or that we are moving steady but surely, and as long we make the play off in 2011 we are on the right track?

Beach_Red
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
^ Isn't next year the last one for management's contracts? They should certainly not be renewed if we don't make the playoffs.

Unless, eight players all break their legs, but it would have to be something extreme like that.

EastYork
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Make the playoffs and if we don't we need to clean house.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-09-2008, 11:11 AM
^ Isn't next year the last one for management's contracts? They should certainly not be renewed if we don't make the playoffs.

Unless, eight players all break their legs, but it would have to be something extreme like that.

yep pretty much

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't mean to be a stirrrer but what are playoffs?

Cashcleaner
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Not making playoffs would be a failure for our seasonal goals. It should be one of our top priorities and to miss them would be a fundamental loss for us.

Of course, the failure itself doesn't have to be the end of the world, but if it becomes a consistent thing I think we would have to reevaluate the positions of management and ownership.

Beach_Red
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't mean to be a stirrrer but what are playoffs?

It's kind of like being relegated, except every team in the league runs the risk of not making the playoffs.

;)

trane
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Why are the results hidden?

Fort York Redcoat
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
It's kind of like being relegated, except every team in the league runs the risk of not making the playoffs.

;)

:D

Euro snob police is still on patrol I see. Bad boyz, bad boyz... :hand:

I think it's a bit earlier to decide on what our failed season might be. I prefer to wait to at least the preseason to hear people talking the team down.

KrazyKanadian
12-09-2008, 11:43 AM
The goal of every season is to win the championship, and to do that you need to make the playoffs. Failure to make the playoffs means failure to win the championship. It's pretty simple.

Beach_Red
12-09-2008, 12:23 PM
:D

Euro snob police is still on patrol I see. Bad boyz, bad boyz... :hand:

I think it's a bit earlier to decide on what our failed season might be. I prefer to wait to at least the preseason to hear people talking the team down.

Why do I have to be a snob, why can't I be patriotic?

It's true, though, anything can happen. No one predicted last year's results, why not be optimistic?

At least till the season starts.

AL-MO
12-09-2008, 01:04 PM
YES it would be a failure.

JDG
12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Far too subjective a question to have any meaning.

Lucky Strike
12-09-2008, 01:17 PM

+1. Will you tell us the results? How can we know what they are for sure?

ilikemusic
12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Playoffs?!?! You wanna talk about playoffs?!?!

I just hope we can win a game!

;)

colman1860
12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Playoffs?!?! You wanna talk aboue playoffs?!?!

;)

Brilliant!

sully
12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
of course 'yes', isn't the answer obvious?

AL-MO
12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Playoffs?!?! You wanna talk aboue playoffs?!?!

;)

The matching avatar makes it all the better!

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, unless they won the CCL (which I guess would technically span two MLS seasons).

Blazer
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
not entirely sure what you mean 'be a failure'?
be a failure as a franchise?
Be a failure as a team?

Ill be upset if we dont make the playoffs and possibly call for someones head depending on how not making the playoffs was accomplished

Let’s not pretend this is something it’s not. Franchise, team, city, whatever the fuck…no playoffs next season will be epic fail. Period. This is not an overly challenging league and subsequently shouldn’t be a challenging question.

Bobo
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM
The goal of every season is to win the championship, and to do that you need to make the playoffs. Failure to make the playoffs means failure to win the championship. It's pretty simple.

I don't think its that simple, ask a Detroit Lions fan if he would take just missing the playoffs.

Super
12-09-2008, 10:03 PM
If you don't succeed you fail. 3rd year, now it's time to compete.

/End of

TOBOR !
12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
if not making the playoffs means fewer season ticket renewals, then serve me up a huge helping of that !

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
No, for a third year club it would not be a disaster it took Real Salt Lake time to make the playoffs, and building TFC right should take priority over a quick trip to the playoffs.

towersofsalford
12-10-2008, 02:11 PM
No, for a third year club it would not be a disaster it took Real Salt Lake time to make the playoffs, and building TFC right should take priority over a quick trip to the playoffs.

best post in this thread

Dave67
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
In a 14 (15) team league where 8 teams make the playoffs not making the playoffs 3 years running is failure. At this point I would hardly call expecting playoffs in year 3 a 'quick trip'.

jloome
12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
best post in this thread

It took Real Salt Lake four seasons, so it's hardly instructive of what's acceptable.

Beyond which, we're in a league with caps and hardline player constraints; we operate under the same guidelines as everyone else. How long is reasonable when it comes to building a team? Perhaps that's the question.

Given the money and profit at his disposal, his own alleged knowledge of the system, full-time scouting, and an establish core of players who've already proven that, when playing their hearts out, can compete with anyone in the league, not making the playoffs next year would be a failure, principally on Mo Johnston's part, and partially on John Carver's part.

In a city where they get as much support as TFC does, that's code for "give them the toss" if they can't get it done, particularly given the number of flops we've already been exposed to.

Beach_Red
12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
It took Real Salt Lake four seasons, so it's hardly instructive of what's acceptable.

Beyond which, we're in a league with caps and hardline player constraints; we operate under the same guidelines as everyone else. How long is reasonable when it comes to building a team? Perhaps that's the question.

Given the money and profit at his disposal, his own alleged knowledge of the system, full-time scouting, and an establish core of players who've already proven that, when playing their hearts out, can compete with anyone in the league, not making the playoffs next year would be a failure, principally on Mo Johnston's part, and partially on John Carver's part.

In a city where they get as much support as TFC does, that's code for "give them the toss" if they can't get it done, particularly given the number of flops we've already been exposed to.

Well, which is it, "caps and hardline player constraints," or "money and profit at his disposal?"

Okay, I'm only kidding.

It would have been nice, though, if TFC has started from the very beginning with a coach, full-time scouting, a proper training facility etc., instead of having that stuff come on board over the first two seasons, but I understand the lack of risk taking from MLSE and the history of soccer failure in town.

If they can't even sell AHL hockey in Toronto, possible the second-best hockey league in the world, I'm not surprised they were worried about MLS being more than a fad.

But still, given the bright spots last season (and there were a few) the playoffs and the Canadian Champinship should both be realistic goals.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
they will be diplayed in seven days from when i started the thread, i thought that, it would show results more that are more valid. perhap[s i shouldn;t have left hidden for so such a long time.. o well..

Corcai
12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I guess I'm still in the fucking happy to actually have a home team phase to be overly dissappointed about our "playoffs".

I've watched the Leafs lose for the past 28 years, I think I can afford going down to BMO sitting in 112 for 1/10 the price for a while longer, given that the atmoshpere is 200 x's the ACC for many years to come.

TFC can honestly do dick all for the next ten years, and I would rather spend the time and money taking my kids to BMO, then spend one more cent on TML.

Having said that, TFC better get Henry next season.

druid
12-12-2008, 12:36 AM

We can talk about building for the future but TFC has to set reasonable and measurable performance goals for the season.

So what is your metric of success? If the playoffs isn't minimum standard what is?

ua-kozak_TFC
12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
i hear you... But you measure the team's progress by the way they play. And if you look lost on the field like they did most of the season this past year, there is no progres. And thus it's not quite "building" a strong core and a good team over the long run. It;s not like a bad team will grow into some superstars with time, you should be able to see the skill in the process. That being said I really didn;t feel there was much of a difference from the inagural year, atleast game play wise... it was like watching a junior highschool match.

Also why do we always setttle for less??? ANd look DOWN to make comparison instead of looking up??...I think fans like the ones toronto have deserved to have playoff's on the inagural year.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
We can talk about building for the future but TFC has to set reasonable and measurable performance goals for the season.

So what is your metric of success? If the playoffs isn't minimum standard what is?
Very well said my friend...

Some people react to play offs like if it was the MLS cup or some anattainable goal or something. If the Red Bulls.. being last for most of the season made the playoffs....then why can't TFC?

invictusTFC
12-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Sure, compare TFC to perhaps the team with the worst management and ownership record in the league. RSL didn't make the playoffs earlier due to their own ineptness. I think that in this league it is actually easy to turn a team around from one year to the next. There is a lot of parity. With the addition of one or two players a team like San Jose can make the playoffs in year two. Seattle already have perhaps the best goalkeeper in the league. With the right additions, they might eclipse the records of most expansion teams.
Not making the playoffs in year 3 would be disastrous for TFC. I don't think that the patience from supoorters is unlimited for this club. In order to keep the buzz around this franchise high there has to be some tangible improvemnets next season. Making the playoffs and qualifying for the CCL is imperative IMO.

Beach_Red
12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Very well said my friend...

Some people react to play offs like if it was the MLS cup or some anattainable goal or something. If the Red Bulls.. being last for most of the season made the playoffs....then why can't TFC?

Some people? Well, how about the results to this poll? Did anyone actually say not making the playoffs wouuld be acceptable?

The team looked lost for half of last season. They started poorly, but got it together and were looking good till July, then they picked it up again towards the end of the season.

If they play the whole season as well as they did the best parts of last season, that will be a success.

Which was the team's best game? Maybe a whole season like the very best game is a bit much, every team has an off game, but we should expect 20-25 games at that level.

trane
12-12-2008, 01:15 PM
^ Real Salt Lake that is the model we should follow. That is what I always, wanted, a club of the quality of RSL in Toronto. I know it may be too much to ask, but one can dream.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I haven;t been a big fan of mo or a believer of his abilities to make trades. but with the aquisition of Dero i gotta say... he;s starting to change my mind. For the first time since the start of this club i have something good to say about Mo. I hope Mo keeps this up and proves my previous idea of him were wrong, and get us a DP stricker and perhaps a pair of good defenders.
keep it up mo keep it up...

Wagner
12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
what's the point of a poll if the results are hidden??

flatpicker
12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
^ so we can't laugh at you

Troll
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
When I first read the subject I thought to myself, 'Man, this thread can't get any dumber'.

But then I opened it and noticed the poll results are hidden.