PDA

View Full Version : Don Foster states the obvious

TOBOR !
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
It appears that English Premier League fans are shelling out substantial amounts of money for match-day pints, according to a report issued by culture, media and sport spokesman Don Foster. Foster, a Liberal Democrat, began exploring the cost of pints across the board after it came to his attention that rugby fans were paying less. In a statement made to The Telegraph, Foster suggested that the Premier League is cashing in on fan loyalty by overcharging for pints on top of costly ticket prices.

Chelsea, known as one of the wealthiest clubs in the Premier League, was found to be guilty of the highest overpricing, asking GBP 4 per pint. Chelsea supporters spend an average of GBP 1.14 million per season, more than a quarter of which can be attributed to pint sales.

Falling slightly behind Chelsea are Arsenal, West Ham, Fulham, and Manchester City, which charge GBP 3.50 per pint, followed by Liverpool and Manchester United at GBP 3 per pint. At the other end of the spectrum are Wigan Athletic, where fans are only expected to pay GBP 2.70, making the club’s JJB Stadium the cheapest place in the Premier League to buy a pint.

The national average is GBP 2.76 per pint, with the average cost across the Premier League sitting at GBP 3.19. Based on the numbers provided, Premier League fans are being overcharged by GBP 1.7 million per year.

Newsflash - it's happening all over the world. And only GBP4 for a pint at Stamford Bridge ? At today's rates (see here (http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/converter.html)) that's $7.58. We pay more for a pint than EPL clubs charge. WTF is that then ?

Makes me wonder how much other clubs are charging around MLS. Most places probably have to give it away to get the crowds in (husbands to join soccer moms).

It's time to get angry my friends - well, not just angry - angry and active. Yeah let's do something about it ! Who's with me ? Hello ? Where'd everyone go ? Yeah, one please luv... how much is that ? $9.25 ? Thanks - keep the change...

link to article here (http://www.eufootball.biz/finance/6461-fans_overcharged_premier_league_pints.html)

Mikey
12-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Isn't there a saying about a fool and his money being soon parted?
12 bucks for a beer is idiot tax, dont pay it if it doesnt apply to you.
It's been easy for me to avoid getting gouged at BMO, I dont drink Carlsberg (To be honest I wouldn't pour it on myself if I was on fire....)
So I can get a couple in before the game, for less than the price of one at ONE at BMO.

Roogsy
12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I've paid full retail for plenty of TFC stuff. Shirts, jerseys, sweaters etc. I've added to the TFC coffers plenty. That being the case...I drew the line at the beer at BMO Field. In two seasons, I have purchased a grand total of 2 beers. Once for a neighbour in the stands whose beer I spilled when we celebrated a goal and once for a friend I was treating to a game. That's it. I will buy beers at Shoeless or elsewhere at a reasonable price before I pay $12 for a beer anywhere else.

kshep
12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
There is the obvious too, a higher cost on beer at sporting events is in theory supposed to combat over consumption. Lets face it, if beer was between $5.50 and $7.00 the amount of over consumption would be staggering. We already have way to many people who would rather get drunk on match day then support the club, all the detriment to match day support. I'd rather see an increase in prices if it means more sober supporters actually contributing on match day.

flatpicker
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
^ not a bad point

106-12
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
There is the obvious too, a higher cost on beer at sporting events is in theory supposed to combat over consumption. Lets face it, if beer was between $5.50 and $7.00 the amount of over consumption would be staggering. We already have way to many people who would rather get drunk on match day then support the club, all the detriment to match day support. I'd rather see an increase in prices if it means more sober supporters actually contributing on match day.

Agreed . never had on at BMO

David
12-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Newsflash - it's happening all over the world. And only GBP4 for a pint at Stamford Bridge ? At today's rates (see here (http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/converter.html)) that's $7.58. We pay more for a pint than EPL clubs charge. WTF is that then ?

Makes me wonder how much other clubs are charging around MLS. Most places probably have to give it away to get the crowds in (husbands to join soccer moms).

It's time to get angry my friends - well, not just angry - angry and active. Yeah let's do something about it ! Who's with me ? Hello ? Where'd everyone go ? Yeah, one please luv... how much is that ? $9.25 ? Thanks - keep the change...

link to article here (http://www.eufootball.biz/finance/6461-fans_overcharged_premier_league_pints.html)

It is time to get angry. But right after the prices go down i'd like to see them ban beer from the stands all together. There's enough people who only come to the games to get roudy, drunk, and disturb shit either at the stadium by throwing shit onto the field (including their beer) or on the go train back to their town. Actually let me rephrase that, ban it from the stands first and THEN worry about lowering about the price. There's pre drinking at a bar for the smart people who don't want to get bent over everytime they step foot into BMO.

RedRum
12-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I dont know where people get the idea that drinking beer = failing as a supporter. That's a blanket statement and I take exception to it.

rocker
12-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I enjoy the game even without a beer.
I even yell at the opposition and get crazy.... without beer! Amazing eh???
People should try it sometime.

Now, if it was a Jays game I could understand having to drink a lot to get through it ;)

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I dont know where people get the idea that drinking beer = failing as a supporter. That's a blanket statement and I take exception to it.
It's getting absolutely and completely drunk to the point where you can't sing and think throwing your 8th beer on the field might be funny that's the problem... Having a beer or two shouldn't be an issue.

That being said, I've never bought a beer at BMO, lines are way too long and it's far too expensive.

flatpicker
12-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I have bought many beers at BMO.
But considering the amount of TFC related money I have spent over the past two years, I think I may cool it a bit.
But I never drink until intoxication at games... just a couple to wet the whistle.

Oldtimer
12-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Not being a beer afficianado, I haven't had any, so the outrageous price doesn';t bother me.

However, $4.25 for a diet coke?

TorCanSoc
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Chip Butty buzz... I need one.

boomcha
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Its like anything else, there are people that can't handle their alcohol and those who act like jackasses at any opportunity. I have drank many a beer at sporting events and I've never been tempted to throw my alcohol onto the field or pick fights. It all comes down to personal restraint, don't drink yourself into a stupor and sing and jump and be a supporter.

That said I have also try to cut my consumption at BMO because it gets expensive. I go to the Gate, or a buddy's place and drink there and then maybe have 1 at the game. I think that asking for a ban is ridiculous, if you witness someone throw their beer make them known to the security personnel so that lose their season tickets and get in shit.

TOBOR !
12-07-2008, 09:23 PM
sorry - this wasn't meant to be a thread about people getting drunk beyond their own abilities to control themselves. It was merely to point out that only just now (it seems) some beaurocrat has discovered that the fan is being gouged at the stadium. And more to the point (mine) is that as much as they are overpaying in the Prem, we are paying above that here, in an MLS stadium (or should that be an MLSE stadium ?). What are the other fans charged ?

Get drunk, don't get drunk. Buy a beer, don't buy a beer.

Many of you have missed the point.

Beach_Red
12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
sorry - this wasn't meant to be a thread about people getting drunk beyond their own abilities to control themselves. It was merely to point out that only just now (it seems) some beaurocrat has discovered that the fan is being gouged at the stadium. And more to the point (mine) is that as much as they are overpaying in the Prem, we are paying above that here, in an MLS stadium (or should that be an MLSE stadium ?). What are the other fans charged ?

Get drunk, don't get drunk. Buy a beer, don't buy a beer.

Many of you have missed the point.

I still don't get your point. Who cares what people thousands of miles away are paying for their beer? If no one buys any at that price, they'll lower the it. If they're selling enough, then enough people think the price is okay.

It might be relevant to ask what beer prices are at other sporting events in Toronto (where all the other factors are the same like supplier costs, taxes and so on - which might be quite different in the UK or wherever), or other "closed" venues like the CNE where you can't just go to th ebar next door and get basically the same experience.

It is funny that some beaurocrat just noticed. There have been attempts at price controls in the past, some jurisdictions have by-laws about prices being the same in closed markets like stadiums, but people really don't seem to like the idea of regulating business in this province.

David
12-08-2008, 01:19 AM
I think that asking for a ban is ridiculous, if you witness someone throw their beer make them known to the security personnel so that lose their season tickets and get in shit.

The point is to prevent it from happening. Even the most faithful supporter can fall off the wagon once in awhile especially when under the influence. There is not place for alcohol in the stands if you really think about it, why is it needed? It's not, and it's causing more problems then anything else. More people this year were thrown out by the cops and security for just being "too drunk" at least in the cops eyes. Your at the games to support the team, not to get drunk, sure it's alot funner and probably makes the sometimes dull MLS play a little more interesting but still the antics that have been going on with drunk casuals have given the police here more suspect to believing we are all hooligans on the edge of loosing control and starting a brawl.

It's not for the supporter who has one or two at the gates. A ban would be for the assholes that pre drink at a bar, then buy too many at the game and throw them, cause shit, head down the tunnel to the GO train chanting and screaming "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" after a loss, and proceed to destroying shit while getting the rest of us thrown off the train.

Either way it's not going to happen, their making way too much money off these people to ever conisder a ban, unles the orders come from the MLS itself.

Cashcleaner
12-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Things I will buy as a TFC Supporter:

TFC Toque: Yes
TFC Jacket: Yes
TFC Jersey: Yes
TFC Drinking Cups: Yes
TFC Lapel Pins: Yes

Beer from BMO Field: No

TOBOR !
12-08-2008, 08:11 AM
The tax structure in London is surely higher than Toronto. The price for property certailnly is, and cost of gas is almost double to what is it here (now). Maybe that's the great equaliser - we overpay for beer at sporting events more than they do. Notwithstanding that some on here won't buy a BMO beer - I wonder what they charge elsewhere around the league... or is this strictly a MLSE phenomenon ?

Oldtimer
12-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Never mind beer, how about $4.75 for a coke that costs $1.25 at Loblaws? Everything is pricey at BMO Field.

However, we always have the option not to pay the outrageous prices.

Marc"2L"
12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I have bought at least one or two every game I've gone to, but after reading that, no more.