PDA

View Full Version : MLS Rumours: Bosko Balaban to TFC?

VPjr
12-06-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/incoming-boko-balaban-to-toronto-fc.html

MLS Rumours (you know them...the most credible source for news in MLS land) is reporting that veteran Croatian striker is in deep negotiations with a "mystery" MLS club.

They are speculating its TFC....I sure as hell hope this story is true

Balaban is, in my opinion, the Croatian version of JP Angel.

Here's his wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo%C5%A1ko_Balaban

BTW, the same story links Marvell Wynne moving to Gronigen or Torino (that's two wildly different possible qualities of league...I can't see Marvell in Serie A quite yet)

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 02:16 PM
This is one rumor that I'm excited about. I hope he's negotiating with us. I think he could be a real star in this league

Broadview
12-06-2008, 02:20 PM
According to wiki he still appears with the Croatian Nats.

Can anyone confirm this?

flatpicker
12-06-2008, 02:26 PM
From Wiki: "Balaban has been a regular squad member of the Croatian national team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia_national_football_team) since 2000, but in recent years he rarely appears in the starting line-up and plays mostly as a second-half substitute."

A good player that isn't gonna make regular appearances with the national team.
I like that...

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Sounds like they picked it up from our rumors thread above.
Sounds about right for wynne (more specifically Gronigen), i also agree with regards to him not being quite Serie A material however Torino isnt exactly a top club, so its not entirely unrealistic (although i dont think hes quite that talented yet)

Pigfynn
12-06-2008, 02:48 PM
This IS the type of guy we need IMO

check his strike rate and at a high level he has been consistant.

If he wants to come, bring him, bring him now!

MrHawk
12-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Balaban is off the NT now with the emergence of

Da Silva
Olic
Petric

And the future of
Kalinic
Mandzukic
Tadic
Tomasov

the list goes on and on.

joga
12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
MLS Rumours (you know them...the most credible source for news in MLS land) is reporting that veteran Croatian striker is in deep negotiations with a "mystery" MLS club.

you know what i don't understand... why do sooooo many people put down MLS rumours and still check it - and post on it - so regularly. if you think their all BS then don't read it, is what i say.

BTW, the same story links Marvell Wynne moving to Gronigen or Torino (that's two wildly different possible qualities of league...I can't see Marvell in Serie A quite yet)

as much as the next guy, i don't wanna see wynne go - our only bright spot on D, and thats not saying much. i gotta say, going to torino kinda makes sense to me. he fits the mold of most serie a right full-backs.. tons of speed and no feet. every team in serie a has a wynne-type player (maybe with a little more skill and experience).

going to a bottom of the table serie a team that is fighting to stay up and a potential serie b team next term, torino is where wynne would fit in nicely IMO.

side note - i have been following serie a 20 years or so and love the league. IMO the best brand of footy in the world.

as for Bosko Balaban; is he a potential DP? b/c if thats the case... PLEASE don't do it mo. PLEASE for the love of pete find us a real DP.

MrHawk
12-06-2008, 03:13 PM
When Balaban, Srna and Olic were busted for breaking curfew, that pretty much sealed Balaban's fate.

Petric was basically his replacement.

He'll survive in this league, and if he can regain his form from Brugge, he'll easily be the top scorer in this league. That's IF he regains his form.

Strikers
12-06-2008, 03:17 PM
If we are able to get him that would be great.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
as for Bosko Balaban; is he a potential DP? b/c if thats the case... PLEASE don't do it mo. PLEASE for the love of pete find us a real DP.

Who do you consider a real dp?

poppamidnight
12-06-2008, 03:53 PM
DP or not DP, this guy strike rate makes you give him that $....

Personally, i'd prefer a BIGGER name (like much of you) even though i know the name means sh** all (mr becks)

If you nab his with the DP slot, i really think there still needs to be another DP (trade for the one on the market)

I really like the sounds of this guy:
-avalible when international match's roll around
-awesome strike rate
-still young
-Seemingly healthy
-fan favourite/non-locker room cancer

flatpicker
12-06-2008, 03:56 PM
"Name means sh**"

you got that right...

I don't want anyone brought in here for their name!

I want someone that can play!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
id take a schelotto over a becks any day

joga
12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Who do you consider a real dp?

i have no-one in mind.. although i don't think a guy who had a great strike rate in Belgian or Croatia (no offense to those leagues, none at all) is worthy of DP spot/money in MLS. yes, MLS is a lesser league than most in the footy world... although i believe we can attract better players who have proven themselves in better leagues with the kinda money MLSE has to offer.

.. and another thing, i don't think a striker is our biggest concern. we're soft on D and shoring up our mid-field is a bigger priority IMO. if we can get Balaban at TFC for Dichio-type money, i would welcome that.

Ossington Mental Youth, who do you consider a real DP?

BuSaPuNk
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Balaban would be a great pick up for us. DP or non DP. He has an amazing strikerate, and would tear this leauge to shreads!!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
HAHAHA
fair enough.
Thats a good question, not entirely sure who i consider to be a good dp. I guess id have to see a list of whos available and who would be interested. I do agree that we are soft on D but i think just as badly we need a juan pablo angel type of striker up front. Dunno if we really need anyone in midfield at this point, perhaps another winger couldnt hurt. I wouldnt be upset with a CB dp but we both know that isnt likely. Dont think Balaban would necessarily be a poor choice for a DP.

I do agree that he has played in lesser leagues than some of the DP players but that being said hes relatively young, hes still more or less a candidate for his national team, had a decent strike record in higher leagues. I wouldnt be upset if we signed him. I do think, granted im not as knowledgeable about him as some, that hed still do quite well, well enough to warrant a dp slot, in this league

Captain Croatia
12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Balaban would be able to do it all in this league. Strong, fast, if he can get in better form he would strike a goal game.

Yohan
12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Balaban would be able to do it all in this league. Strong, fast, if he can get in better form he would strike a goal game.
He'd be a hit with all the Serb TFC fans! :p

Brooker
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Bosko Balaban....

i won't comment much on the guy cuz i don't really know him.... but what a great name. :D

TFC OZZ
12-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm gonna be honest, this is the first rumored DP in a long time that actually has gotten me excited. This is exactly the kind of player that I would like so see, although I am still a firm believer in trying to obtain Kenny Cooper as our DP, I think this guy would fit the bill -from my opinion at least- for our DP.

CretanBull
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
id take a schelotto over a becks any day

Schelotto = will help you win more games

Beckham = doubles the value of your franchise

We like one thing, the investors like the other ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Schelotto = will help you win more games

Beckham = doubles the value of your franchise

We like one thing, the investors like the other ;)

absolutely but im talking with regards to how well the team does, as opposed to what MLSE will pick (which i suspect will be somewhere between the two or surprisingly a dp thats a lesser name but effective)

Wagner
12-06-2008, 06:45 PM
lyEFiaUQYGE

TOBOR !
12-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Balaban is, in my opinion, the Croatian version of JP Angel.

So we sign him, get to the MLS Cups final only to see him get badly outplayed by his opposite number as he alternates between frowning, sulking, and trying on his best "it's-not-my-fault-it's-this-load-of-twats-around-me-that-can't-do-anything-right" expression.

Maybe there's a better comparison.

MG42
12-06-2008, 07:34 PM
lyEFiaUQYGE

haha, well played :)

Cashcleaner
12-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Nor sure how this guy necessitates a DP slot. I'm not blown away by his creds though he was a bit of a mainstay with the Croatian national team - not too shabby in its own right.

I'll have to give this prospect a big "M'eh" because I'm just not feeling it, but on the other hand his numbers are too bad either.

CretanBull
12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
The Croatian league is a decent one, he'd be good for 15-20 goals here for sure. If we can get him at without using our DP slot (even use allocation money) he'd be a steal. I think that MLSE will want more marketing appeal from use of the DP slot.

Cashcleaner
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
^ Thats what I'm thinking as well, Bull. Oh for real the Croatian League is legit and his time spent on the national team says quite a bit as well. Looks like a good fit, but perhaps we could pick him up without resorting to using the DP allocation.

Beach_Red
12-06-2008, 09:07 PM
The Croatian league is a decent one, he'd be good for 15-20 goals here for sure. If we can get him at without using our DP slot (even use allocation money) he'd be a steal. I think that MLSE will want more marketing appeal from use of the DP slot.

The only thing holding this team back right now from a big marketing breakthrough is winning. Look at how popular the Blue Jays were when they were winning and look how many empty seats there are when they aren't in contention.

The hardcore fans are onboard - how many MORE people do they need on the waiting list? - but a winning season and a playoff run is the only thing that will break the team out big.

I expect even MLSE knows this.

CretanBull
12-06-2008, 09:58 PM
The only thing holding this team back right now from a big marketing breakthrough is winning. Look at how popular the Blue Jays were when they were winning and look how many empty seats there are when they aren't in contention.

The hardcore fans are onboard - how many MORE people do they need on the waiting list? - but a winning season and a playoff run is the only thing that will break the team out big.

I expect even MLSE knows this.

It's not about selling tickets to games (they're sold out already), but about merchandizing. Balaban won't have people lining up to buy jerserys like someone like Del Piero would (so much so they'd recoup his salary in extra merch sales).

Beach_Red
12-06-2008, 10:21 PM
It's not about selling tickets to games (they're sold out already), but about merchandizing. Balaban won't have people lining up to buy jerserys like someone like Del Piero would (so much so they'd recoup his salary in extra merch sales).

Yes, someone like Del Piero will sell merchandise to people, but I think many more people will be buying team merchandise if they're a winning team in the playoffs than will be buying stuff with Del Piero's name on it for a last place team.

There are a lot of people like me in this market - to be honest, I don't know the difference between Del Piero and Balaban, I don't follow European soccer and niether one means anything to me. Just like there were lots of people who knew almost no baseball players when the Jays joined MLB.

But Toronto, like most places, is a bandwagon town. People love a winner more than anything. You see it with NHL expansion teams, very little sales past diehard hockey fans and then Carolina is in the finals and their merchandise is everywhere. we see it here with the raptors.

After Beckham, there may not be much difference in merchandise sales between one million dollar soccer player and another 100 shirts? 1000? How much does the team get for each one sold? But there's a big difference between a winning team and a losing team - that's on the news all the time, that's on every sports highlight show.

Last year when I wore my TFC jacket people asked me, "They score a goal yet?" Because that was the story on TV. If they were in the playoffs that would be the story on TV and that would get them a market share past people who are already soccer fans.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I think this would be a great move for TFC. Balaban has a great scoring record and he’s still playing an scoring at a relatively high level. I’m a little curious about a couple of things:

1.Why would he want to come to the MLS? He’s still with a good team in Europe that’s a regular in European cup competition.

2.Will he be a DP? What kind of money is he currently on at Dinamo?

SLBuu
12-06-2008, 11:25 PM
sometimes reading this board infuriates me! I just dont know whats going on in people's heads.

Just another reason to stick to the Off Topic Section.

Jeez!

TorCanSoc
12-06-2008, 11:27 PM
So we sign him, get to the MLS Cups final only to see him get badly outplayed by his opposite number as he alternates between frowning, sulking, and trying on his best "it's-not-my-fault-it's-this-load-of-twats-around-me-that-can't-do-anything-right" expression.

Maybe there's a better comparison.
??? JPA is like that? I thought he was professional. I like his quality in the final third, smooth and flowing, makes everyone around him look better. He helped put Altidore on Villa Real (is it?).

Forgot.... I've never heard of this Bosko Balaban. The only post I liked so far was about his name. It is a cool name. It kind of sounds like it would be a Croation James Bond name.

"Its Balaban. Bosko Balaban."

Football wise, Croations are always strong. Marketing wise (which I don't care about either) I'm not sure its a fit.

Beach_Red
12-06-2008, 11:28 PM
sometimes reading this board infuriates me! I just dont know whats going on in people's heads.

Jeez!

I don't know, have you been in off topic lately ;).

SLBuu
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
meh, i usually stick to a couple of threads. Usually the light hearted ones.... :p

GeorgeB
12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
several players(Balaban included) look to be on the outs in DINAMO come the january transfer window due to poor results in europe/HNL.winter break is coming up soon in the HNL and when the season resumes i dont expect Bosko back in DINAMO.

Cashcleaner
12-07-2008, 02:29 AM

Jeez!

Ummmm, what is being said in this thread that offends you?

VPjr
12-07-2008, 09:54 AM
but perhaps we could pick him up without resorting to using the DP allocation.

No....you can't....

guys like this are not coming to play on plastic grass for 300K per year when they get more than that at home.

He's definitely worth the kind of money paid to Claudio Lopez.

He would automatically be one of the 5 best players in the league, as long as he is committed to his fitness.

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:01 AM
several players(Balaban included) look to be on the outs in DINAMO come the january transfer window due to poor results in europe/HNL.winter break is coming up soon in the HNL and when the season resumes i dont expect Bosko back in DINAMO.

Balaban has no interest in Europe like the other guys do (Mikic, Drpic (for some f'ing reason, Hrgovic)

Speaking of that, he just made it 1-0 :P

Pigfynn
12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
who did? in what match?....sorry, but who? seriously

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I think this would be a great move for TFC. Balaban has a great scoring record and he’s still playing an scoring at a relatively high level. I’m a little curious about a couple of things:

1.Why would he want to come to the MLS? He’s still with a good team in Europe that’s a regular in European cup competition.

The quality in Croatia is very weak, so any goal scoring stats are inflated. You are better off to look at Balaban's goals for Dinamo when playing in Europe

This type of stuff usually gets kept under the radar, but I imagine 500,000 Euros/year

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
who did? in what match?....sorry, but who? seriously

Balaban just scored for Dinamo, off an easy play.

Pigfynn
12-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Balaban just scored for Dinamo, off an easy play.

Goals are goals though and he is really piling them up. Isn't that 16 in 29 appearences?

We need goals. we need Balaban...or someone like him lol

Ossington Mental Youth
12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
anyone got a stream for the game?
i wanna see this dude in action

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:33 AM
There is no actual stream to the game as it's on a Croatian program called "Volim Nogomet", and they just show highlights of the non-major derby games.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-07-2008, 10:34 AM
ah werd, thats unfortunate, im curious to see a bit of croation footie as well as this dude

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Goals are goals though and he is really piling them up. Isn't that 16 in 29 appearences?

We need goals. we need Balaban...or someone like him lol

http://www.sportnet.hr/Klub.aspx?ID=2&igracID=545

7 in actual competition, it doesn't include his goals against Gaj Mace in their 1st round Croatia Cup action

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:37 AM
ah werd, thats unfortunate, im curious to see a bit of croation footie as well as this dude

You're not missing much, but if you want I'll send you a link to Sibenik vs Hajduk Split later on today.

These are easily the 2 best teams in HNL right now (By performance, not by numbers)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-07-2008, 10:40 AM
cool, thatd be dope, thanks

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:45 AM
To give you an example of how poor it is in Croatia.

Under 1,000 people showed up for today's game. (758 to be exact and maybe 300 of them are BBB)

TFC_Toon
12-07-2008, 10:45 AM
This IS the type of guy we need IMO

check his strike rate and at a high level he has been consistant.

If he wants to come, bring him, bring him now!

Exactly my thought when looking at his wiki, his strikerate to appearances since 2004 is about right at a goal every two matches, he could make an impact in this league for sure.

GeorgeB
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
this guy can definately score in mls . in lower european leagues like belgium or croatia he puts the ball in the net with a great strike rate,but when european games come around and against better quality defenders he isnt as hot.but for mls(we all know the qualty of mls defenders) if he gets good service i think he can hit 15-20 goals easy.

Captain Croatia
12-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Im already thinking of chants for Bosko even though they will most likely be useless in the end, haha.

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
He's only got 8 this year for Dinamo (after today), Mandzukic is leading Dinamo with 11.

My main question, will he even bother to learn English :P. We all know how well Croatians take to learning English in Canada.

I can just picture the language now

Commentator: So Bosko, how is your TFC experience so far?
Bosko: Is okay. Moj prijatelj are back doma, and the fans are good.
Commentator: What about quality? How are you adjusting to the league?
Bosko: Kvality nije that great, but nema fans who throw baklja at us.
Commentator: Why the rushing in your speech?
Bosko: I'm Croatian, not Russian u modderfucker.

rocker
12-07-2008, 01:48 PM
has guevara learned english yet? haha
the few interviews I see with him are always in spanish.

CretanBull
12-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, someone like Del Piero will sell merchandise to people, but I think many more people will be buying team merchandise if they're a winning team in the playoffs than will be buying stuff with Del Piero's name on it for a last place team.

There are a lot of people like me in this market - to be honest, I don't know the difference between Del Piero and Balaban, I don't follow European soccer and niether one means anything to me. Just like there were lots of people who knew almost no baseball players when the Jays joined MLB.

But Toronto, like most places, is a bandwagon town. People love a winner more than anything. You see it with NHL expansion teams, very little sales past diehard hockey fans and then Carolina is in the finals and their merchandise is everywhere. we see it here with the raptors.

After Beckham, there may not be much difference in merchandise sales between one million dollar soccer player and another 100 shirts? 1000? How much does the team get for each one sold? But there's a big difference between a winning team and a losing team - that's on the news all the time, that's on every sports highlight show.

Last year when I wore my TFC jacket people asked me, "They score a goal yet?" Because that was the story on TV. If they were in the playoffs that would be the story on TV and that would get them a market share past people who are already soccer fans.

It's not like the choice is a lesser known player who can help the team win games vs. a better known player who only has marketing value. A guy like Del Piero would do both - and I think that what teams want from the use of the DP slot.

jloome
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
No....you can't....

guys like this are not coming to play on plastic grass for 300K per year when they get more than that at home.

He's definitely worth the kind of money paid to Claudio Lopez.

He would automatically be one of the 5 best players in the league, as long as he is committed to his fitness.

Uh, if his league is drawing 1,000 per game, you could EASILY get him for non DP Money. 500,000 euros is something like $12,000 a week. That's fucking lower prem money dude. It's not atypical for second and third-tier european leagues to pay 1,000-4,000 euros -- and well less in some cases.

So More likely he's make somewhere south of DP Money right now, to play in a league where -- because he's a national icon -- he enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. Teams drawing only 1,000 per game don't usually pay that kind of money to ANYONE. Hell there, there are Blue Square teams that draw 1,000 per game.

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Average attendance in Prva HNL is about 3,500 per game.

Teams like Hajduk/Dinamo inflate numbers due to a large supporters group/derby matches/large following outside of Croatia.

Juanito
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
A talented goal scorer is a talented goal scorer. Croatia may not be rich, but they have produced quality footballers. If he speaks English is a secondary concern. If the man can help us win games, and by the sounds of it, if he can help us deliver 20 goals, we definitely have a better chance of making the playoffs.

It doesn't hurt to see what he wants, how healthy he is, and whether he wants to come to Toronto. Mo has a real hard-on with the English lads, but if they don't want to come here, there's nothing we can do about it.

The best marketing is a winning team. Names can only draw so much, winning keeps the supporters happy and raises the profile of the team in general. Again, if he can help us to win, give the man a tryout and see what he can do.

rocker
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
i know jack squat about this guy. But his pedigree seems good, and he's only 30.
The younger the age, the more the cost, and the greater difficultly in getting the player.

Ya, we'd all love a 26-year-old hotshot as our DP (a "name" who still has years left) but that's unlikely. The kind of guys we can get who are that young won't be hotshots.. they will be guys who have had problems overseas, aren't wanted (at least not at their price) and probably aren't playing for their national teams.
Another option is guys who were awesome in the old days but who are 34-36. They've "been there, done that" and probably aren't making what they used to.

The third, in between option, is a guy like Balaban. I'll take it.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Aaaaah cooommee on!! Please don't tell me this guy is coming!?! I would much rather have someone else!!

Brooker
12-07-2008, 05:18 PM
people say "oh no, not him." but don't really have any other guy in mind that we could realisticly sign instead.

:noidea:

Brooker
12-07-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/images/bigsoccer/statusicon/post_old.gif Today, 05:38 PM #12 (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16444511&postcount=12) Hrvat (http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/member.php?u=58378)
BigSoccer Member

Club: Dinamo Zagreb; CroNT

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Boško Balaban To MLS?
He has 400 -500 k euros per year. Take him. Please.

just found that on bigsoccer. does he really make that much?

Captain Croatia
12-07-2008, 06:18 PM
He's only got 8 this year for Dinamo (after today), Mandzukic is leading Dinamo with 11.

My main question, will he even bother to learn English :P. We all know how well Croatians take to learning English in Canada.

I can just picture the language now

Commentator: So Bosko, how is your TFC experience so far?
Bosko: Is okay. Moj prijatelj are back doma, and the fans are good.
Commentator: What about quality? How are you adjusting to the league?
Bosko: Kvality nije that great, but nema fans who throw baklja at us.
Commentator: Why the rushing in your speech?
Bosko: I'm Croatian, not Russian u modderfucker.

:lol::hurray:Hahaha

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
just found that on bigsoccer. does he really make that much?

Yup, that's about how much I figured he was getting. In his final year, Luka Modric was offered 2M euro's a year. I don't believe any player in Croatian history made that much.

They did it, so he could help them win the league/cup.

Pigfynn
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Ok, so if it's 400,000 to 500,000 Euros

that's $506,000 to $633,000 american dollars.

So...pay him the league max before becoming a DP. Which is what? $350,000

and cover the other $150,000 to $200,000 with allocation money.

This is assuming he'd come for the same money, if not he'd have to be a DP.

either way, I'm ok with it.

Beach_Red
12-07-2008, 07:43 PM

It's really unlikely anyone would come for the same money.

Besides, what matters is how much he'd be offered for next season. Then, you have to offer more. But not too much more....

I_AM_CANADIAN
12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
His form in the Swiss league year before last was nothing short of fantastic, and I think he'd do well in MLS. I'd like to see him come here.

Stryker
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Heh... interesting blurb last week about the man in question.

Lionel Messi might be sensational in a 60-second highlights package of Barcelona thrashing Basel 5-0, but even Bosko Balaban looked good on video. Other times Messi disappears from games.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/early-doors/article/87612/

Torcida
12-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Balaban is shit guys.

MrHawk
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
English media don't like Balaban for his poor performance for Villa (was sold way too early)

jloome
12-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Ok, so if it's 400,000 to 500,000 Euros

that's $506,000 to $633,000 american dollars.

So...pay him the league max before becoming a DP. Which is what? $350,000

and cover the other $150,000 to $200,000 with allocation money.

Good point. And we have lots of allocation dough, so they may be planning something like this for both the upfront and rearguard players, which might be why Anselmi was hedging his bets in his last public statements with respect to a DP.

San Jose's doing it with Huckerby, Columbus did it this season with Schellotto.

jloome
12-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Here's some nifty youtube video, for what that's worth. The talent is evident and extreme, but the overlayed manager's comments make it sound like he's a pampered primadonna. Probably not the best mix in MLS, even though talent wise, you gotta say for the relatively short time he was at Brugges, that's a good highlight reel.

Is 15-20 goals worth the other potential headaches?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7x7eAYVxiA

Suljazz
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
ive followed balaban from time to time as his career has in my opinion has been pretty quiet with a few major highlights that made people stand up and recognize. His strike rate at Brugge brought him lots of attention, as did a few years back where he and two other croats from brugge helped croatia qualify for the world cup. My opinion is he's a very autonomous player, at times difficult to coach and very confident with his own talents... if he could get back to the quality he showed at Brugge, i would say pick him up... but DP money I would say stay away, not worth the risk, definately not the future Juan Pablo Angel of Toronto.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM
ive followed balaban from time to time as his career has in my opinion has been pretty quiet with a few major highlights that made people stand up and recognize. His strike rate at Brugge brought him lots of attention, as did a few years back where he and two other croats from brugge helped croatia qualify for the world cup. My opinion is he's a very autonomous player, at times difficult to coach and very confident with his own talents... if he could get back to the quality he showed at Brugge, i would say pick him up... but DP money I would say stay away, not worth the risk, definately not the future Juan Pablo Angel of Toronto.

Fully Agree, this guy is worthless! He's worth maybe 175,000 per year thats it! His top form was not that good and its long gone now!!

VPjr
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Uh, if his league is drawing 1,000 per game, you could EASILY get him for non DP Money. 500,000 euros is something like $12,000 a week. That's fucking lower prem money dude. It's not atypical for second and third-tier european leagues to pay 1,000-4,000 euros -- and well less in some cases.

So More likely he's make somewhere south of DP Money right now, to play in a league where -- because he's a national icon -- he enjoys being a big fish in a small pond. Teams drawing only 1,000 per game don't usually pay that kind of money to ANYONE. Hell there, there are Blue Square teams that draw 1,000 per game.

In Europe, attendance has little relationship with the wages clubs can pay. Obviously, clubs that draw huge crowds can get very rich but you don't need massive crowds to pay the kind of money that we are being told Balaban is currently making.

Juventus is one of the richest clubs in the world but they were consistently playing in front of relatively small crowds at Stadio Delle Alpe.

There are alot of other revenue sources that can bridge the revenue gap for successful teams (on the field) when they don't draw a huge crowd

if he's making even 400,000 EURO (or approx 10,000 per week), that's still over $500K USD. These guys don't leave the comforts of home to come to a new country and a less than stellar league for less money than they are making right now.

That being said, you might be right that they don't have to use a DP spot for a guy like this. They might be able to pay Laurent Robert money up front ($330K) and then shovel 200-300K in allocation money to get the deal done.

jloome
12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
In Europe, attendance has little relationship with the wages clubs can pay. Obviously, clubs that draw huge crowds can get very rich but you don't need massive crowds to pay the kind of money that we are being told Balaban is currently making.

Juventus is one of the richest clubs in the world but they were consistently playing in front of relatively small crowds at Stadio Delle Alpe.

There are alot of other revenue sources that can bridge the revenue gap for successful teams (on the field) when they don't draw a huge crowd

if he's making even 400,000 EURO (or approx 10,000 per week), that's still over $500K USD. These guys don't leave the comforts of home to come to a new country and a less than stellar league for less money than they are making right now.

That being said, you might be right that they don't have to use a DP spot for a guy like this. They might be able to pay Laurent Robert money up front ($330K) and then shovel 200-300K in allocation money to get the deal done.

Yeah, that's true. Could be a crazy billionaire owner, too.

The allocation thing works for us big-time, with well over a million available.

Boschmeister
12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Balaban is shit guys.

I agree that he is not worth big time DP money but saying he is shit is a little harsh.

I know its hard for to you like a rival Dinamo guy! :D

Watching him play in the Cro league for the last little while I think he would be a better fit than a lot of the other deadbeats that have been involved in the rumour mill not to mention some of the degenerates that have disgraced the TFC colours on the pitch.

rocker
12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
is he better than Jeff Cuntingham? ;)

SLBuu
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
does allocation money go back to the original team after the season ends? or does it just stya with the team that has it?

MrHawk
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I agree that he is not worth big time DP money but saying he is shit is a little harsh.

I know its hard for to you like a rival Dinamo guy! :D

Watching him play in the Cro league for the last little while I think he would be a better fit than a lot of the other deadbeats that have been involved in the rumour mill not to mention some of the degenerates that have disgraced the TFC colours on the pitch.

Leave the Hajdukovac alone..............he's just jealous cause we'll win the league and the cup again this year :)