PDA

View Full Version : Possible draft targets

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I know MLSdraft.net has some great information on players who are seniors or have declared. The Generation Adidas players should come out in about a month's time. But, some possible targets of GA players that could fit the bill for TFC.

Omar Gonzalez - a CB and also a forward??

Cirovski on Gonzalez: "Omar had a great season last year which was reflected by him being named ACC Defensive Player of the Year. He is a tremendous athlete and has improved each season, which we expect to continue. I believe he will be the best center back in the country by season's end." As a Sophomore in 2007: Tough defender and particularly strong in the air ... also has the ability to jump start the offense with foot skills ... 2007 ACC Defensive Player of the Year ... NSCAA/adidas All-America Third Team selection ... All-South Atlantic honoree ... All-ACC Second Team ... ... both he and fellow center back A.J. Delagarza began every match ... led the Maryland defense that finished fourth in the ACC in goals allowed (23) and goals against average (1.01) ... added a goal and an assist on the offensive end ... used his height as he headed home a Graham Zusi cross in the NCAA third round game against Bradley (12/1) ... assisted Rodney Wallace on a goal off a corner kick against NC State (10/27).

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gonzalez_omar00.html

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
HAHAHA
i was just reading the same article and thinking the samething.

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
He is 6'5 as well.

I know Mo said he is looking at an experienced CB, but also a younger CB.

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I really think Mo should keep the draft picks and load up on GAs, rounding out the 3 development spots remaining.

Omar Gonzalez, Steve Zakuani, Corben Bone type players.

If depth is a problem, GA is one way of making our developmental roster as expensive as possible and stock with talent.

Problem is dealing with the international restrictions.

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I really think Mo should keep the draft picks and load up on GAs, rounding out the 3 development spots remaining.

Omar Gonzalez, Steve Zakuani, Corben Bone type players.

If depth is a problem, GA is one way of making our developmental roster as expensive as possible and stock with talent.

Problem is dealing with the international restrictions.

Yeah, I think Mo would love to draft 3 GA players, but the international restrictions don't allow him to do that. Basically, if we draft 3 non-Canadian GAs, our senior roster international spots become depleted.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 02:43 PM
still skeptical about NCAA players having heard what i did about the league (subbing on and off and on again, games being split into quarters or something), id rather we bring in experienced players and draft one or two but not as first team players

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
If you look at the superdraft historically, its usually just the GAs that turn out to be decent. Very few seniors do much of anything.

poppamidnight
12-06-2008, 04:07 PM
okay slightly off topic here,

but realisitically will O'Brian White slip to #13?

Everytime i see a mock draft placing "a perfect fit" for a teams needs/situation, they always go earlier

As far as Gen. Addidas I completely agree, Mo should look there...

In fact I still see alot of excess fat that can be trimmed off this roster (asides from the obvious ones that will allow some picks to come in),

I wouldn't be at all disspointed if he moves some players FOR EVEN MORE PICKS
Makes sense if he's bringing in a DP or two? no?

Dunivant? 100K?
Harmse? 70K?
Tyronne? (Seattle)

Could we bump up a latter pick to add ANOTHER 1st rndr with any of these guys?

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I think Marshall is headed to Seattle (supposedly cuz sigi was a fan or summat).
Harmses a canadian whos showed new promise in the CB role
and I do agree with Dunny leaving, hes good but we could prob find a player with same attributes at a lower rate

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 04:29 PM
I think Marshall is the best candidate to leave.

Harmse won't be going anywhere b/c he is Canadian

Dunivant, can play multiple positions, and I think because he is included in all these TFC events, he isn't going anywhere.

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I think there will be trades, no doubt. I really think Marshall been way too inconsistent to deserve a starting spot. Our entire back line makes me nervous really.