PDA

View Full Version : Nuno Gomes declines offer

dantdot
12-06-2008, 01:23 AM
No, this isn't a repeat. Someone at Big Soccer just posted this article, TFC supposedly offered him twice the money he makes at Benfica but he declined.

Google English Translation:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.correiomanha.pt/noticia.aspx%3Fcontentid%3DFE584C7B-1991-4FD1-ACBD-E34BE4F6EF7F%26channelid%3D00000213-0000-0000-0000-000000000213&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DNuno%2BGomes%2Brecusa%2BCanad%25C3%25 A1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Portuguese Article:
http://www.correiodamanha.pt/noticia.aspx?contentid=FE584C7B-1991-4FD1-ACBD-E34BE4F6EF7F&channelid=00000213-0000-0000-0000-000000000213
(http://www.correiodamanha.pt/noticia.aspx?contentid=FE584C7B-1991-4FD1-ACBD-E34BE4F6EF7F&channelid=00000213-0000-0000-0000-000000000213)

David
12-06-2008, 05:02 AM
You can't blame him for not wanting to come. Just shows how bad our league is looked at by the rest of the world.

rocker
12-06-2008, 09:57 AM
says Mojo offered him double what he's getting now.. and yet money didn't matter.

kodiakTFC
12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I am happy.

1. We dont get a player I dont like and is old
2. TFC is offering big bucks

Canary Canuck
12-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Did he play when Benfica was here last year?

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
What is he getting now?

I want to see how much we were actually offering. That could help us determine who else could be possible targets maybe....haha!!!

arbogast
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
What is he getting now?

I want to see how much we were actually offering. That could help us determine who else could be possible targets maybe....haha!!!

the translated article said 50k (euro) per month at benfica. 100 k per month from us would be approx 1.2 mil/year. not a bad haul eh?

flatpicker
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Fuck Gomes...

Mo! Go get Rickie Lambert from Bristol Rovers!!!!!

Nuvinho
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
the translated article said 50k (euro) per month at benfica. 100 k per month from us would be approx 1.2 mil/year. not a bad haul eh?

Thanks!!

I think money around $1M to $1.5M could net us a nice DP.....not a superstar DP, but good enough for MLS standards.

CretanBull
12-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I am happy.

1. We dont get a player I dont like and is old
2. TFC is offering big bucks

He would have been the youngest DP in the league...if you're expecting someone younger, prepare for disappointment.

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Not upset about this at all. Can we stop offering this guy a contract now? He turned us down twice. He obviously doesn't want to come to the MLS.

rocker
12-06-2008, 01:46 PM
that's called negotiations, isn't it? ;)

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
that's called negotiations, isn't it? ;)

I guess. I think he's kind of a waste of time at this point. I really don't want us to be in a position where we get players mid season because Mo goes off and chases ghosts.

tfc
12-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks!!

I think money around $1M to $1.5M could net us a nice DP.....not a superstar DP, but good enough for MLS standards.

By the way, thats $1 - $1.5M EURO. Significantly more than 1-1.5M Dollars. THats pretty huge money, too bad it didn't work out! Nice to see he's putting some offers out there though

GabrielHurl
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
it's a $1.9million a year offer

Roogsy
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
IF this is true...move on. We want people who will want to be here.

DigzTFC!
12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
$1.9 Million....at least were able to spend. But I don't like this idea of paying an extreme premium. I know it will be part of attracting a player to play on turf, but more than twice the salary. I just don't know

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I guess. I think he's kind of a waste of time at this point. I really don't want us to be in a position where we get players mid season because Mo goes off and chases ghosts.

gotta agree with this, we got fucked with that shit Dickov situation, too much time spent on that man and i dont wanna see the same with Gomes

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-06-2008, 02:59 PM
says Mojo offered him double what he's getting now.. and yet money didn't matter.

atleaste this show's TFC are willing to spend some serious coin...

poppamidnight
12-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't know if it's true, but
have any of you considered that mo might have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on his plate?

...maybe make it "seem" like mo's doing something, when in actuallity he might not be.

you know, the old "buy yourself time" trick

or the 'make it seem like your working' trick...
keeping up appearances for the big guys keeps the $ rolling in!

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2008, 04:08 PM
no, because his job is on the line and it wouldnt be to his advantage to not be looking for a dp, other players etc, what benefit to anyone would it before him to not be looking etc?

Beach_Red
12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Don't know if it's true, but
have any of you considered that mo might have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on his plate?

...maybe make it "seem" like mo's doing something, when in actuallity he might not be.

you know, the old "buy yourself time" trick

or the 'make it seem like your working' trick...
keeping up appearances for the big guys keeps the $ rolling in!

I doubt it, it sounds easier to just do the work, all we're talking about is making up a list of guys who will be out of contract, calling agents and offering a little more than we think anyone else will offer.

Of course, the agents will go back and forth as much as they can, trying to keep other teams in the mix and upping the price. We saw it play out in public with Dikov, but it happens behind the scenes every day.

Have you considered that very few guys are sincere about coming to Toronto unless we wildly over-pay them?

MG42
12-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I think it is very hard to get players who have no connection with North America, let alone Toronto, to come and play...I mean to pass on double your salary is very telling...

We need someone here who understands the role they will play not only in Toronto, but for Canadian soccer in general...and I think that person can only be a top level Canadian.

druid
12-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... 20,000 pounds or 23,000 euro a week.

Monetarily that should put us almost on par with offers from 2nd tier European nations. Of course we can't offer UEFA Champions League or a realistic chance of silverware.

Beach_Red
12-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Hmmm... 20,000 pounds or 23,000 euro a week.

Monetarily that should put us almost on par with offers from 2nd tier European nations. Of course we can't offer UEFA Champions League or a realistic chance of silverware.

And haven't we already had trouble convincing some wives to make the move?

Really, we'll have to admit there'll be a premium - whatever a guy can earn in Europe plus 25% - something like that.

Where would that put us?

poppamidnight
12-07-2008, 12:15 PM
well if mo was actually involved in negotiations he wouldhve known that there was no chance of him coming - maybe this offer technically shoudlhve been the first (and only) offer we gave...

if mo was that clueless about him not wanting to come to MLS, then it leads me to believe he was never really involved,
that it was mainly played out through media.

Heck, come to think of it, did mo ever have talks with Nuno's agent?

By the sounds of it Mo just called an answering machine...

Call 1: "hey there Marko Piccioli, this is mo Johnson from Toronto FC.... you know that leauge Beckham plays in... Anyways, I was just wondering if he'd like to come over and play. We'll top the Benfica contract. Thanks, Call me soon!"

Call 2: "Hey Marko, it's Mo - again - listen I havent heard back from you in a few months now. Just wondering where we stand? I'm now prepared to DOUBLE what benifica offers..thans.... BE SURE to call me soon!"

Pachuco
12-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Keep trying Mo. I'm glad we are atleat putting that kind of money on the table.

rocker
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
well if mo was actually involved in negotiations he wouldhve known that there was no chance of him coming - maybe this offer technically shoudlhve been the first (and only) offer we gave...

if mo was that clueless about him not wanting to come to MLS, then it leads me to believe he was never really involved,
that it was mainly played out through media.

Heck, come to think of it, did mo ever have talks with Nuno's agent?

By the sounds of it Mo just called an answering machine...

Call 1: "hey there Marko Piccioli, this is mo Johnson from Toronto FC.... you know that leauge Beckham plays in... Anyways, I was just wondering if he'd like to come over and play. We'll top the Benfica contract. Thanks, Call me soon!"

Call 2: "Hey Marko, it's Mo - again - listen I havent heard back from you in a few months now. Just wondering where we stand? I'm now prepared to DOUBLE what benifica offers..thans.... BE SURE to call me soon!"

it's funny how you are speculating about negotiations when you have no idea what Mo has done and how negotiations have gone.

if i had such little information at my disposal about this stuff, i sure wouldn't be as confident as you, confident enough to be sarcastic towards Mo.

you are extrapolating sooooo much from soooo little information.

Pachuco
12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
IF this is true...move on. We want people who will want to be here.

Honestly, some of you just don't get it. What freeking player in the world who is good enough to play in Europe actually WANTS to come play in Toronto? Name me a single DP money player that has said, "I can't wait to go play in Toronto". Give me a break, when Toronto gets a DP, it will be because money talked, not cause his life long dream was to play for Toronto. So fuck the moving on, Mo, keep working your ass off offering money to good players until one of them bites.

tfc
12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Honestly, some of you just don't get it. What freeking player in the world who is good enough to play in Europe actually WANTS to come play in Toronto? Name me a single DP money player that has said, "I can't wait to go play in Toronto". Give me a break, when Toronto gets a DP, it will be because money talked, not cause his life long dream was to play for Toronto. So fuck the moving on, Mo, keep working your ass off offering money to good players until one of them bites.

UGHHHHHH comments like this make me want to puke. Canada is one of the best country's in the WORLD to live in, you don't think people realize that when they are offered a high paying job here?

Sure we have a young club in a young league, but the Canadian lifestyle (especially when your making $2MM a year) would be 10x better than Europe. Go ask Dichio and Robbo (who have taken pay cuts to live here) if you don't believe me.

jloome
12-07-2008, 02:26 PM
it's funny how you are speculating about negotiations when you have no idea what Mo has done and how negotiations have gone.

if i had such little information at my disposal about this stuff, i sure wouldn't be as confident as you, confident enough to be sarcastic towards Mo.

And not particularly sensibly. Mo Johnston is still a well-known figure in European football. His playing days were mostly in the 90's for chrissake. If it's like most businesses, he'll establish contacts through people, not directly to people. And people know the deal that Beckham got and every agent in Europe will have already checked out the possibilities with respect to MLS.

So it's kind of a horseshit scenario; havign said that, the contention that Mo might not be very bright or have much of a plan is not something I'd either argue with or endorse; maybe after season three. If he fails miserably this offseason to make the team a contender (which a team in this league that is THIS stable should be. Look at COlumbus's progression) then the questions come out.

Hell, I don't even care if he signs a DP. I just want

1) A regular goalscorer who creates
2) A huge motherfucker at centre half who can dominate and dictate the backline
3) One more dangerous winger.

The rest is gravy.

jloome
12-07-2008, 02:29 PM
UGHHHHHH comments like this make me want to puke. Canada is one of the best country's in the WORLD to live in, you don't think people realize that when they are offered a high paying job here?

Sure we have a young club in a young league, but the Canadian lifestyle (especially when your making $2MM a year) would be 10x better than Europe. Go ask Dichio and Robbo (who have taken pay cuts to live here) if you don't believe me.

Dude, when you make $1.9 million per year, EVERY country is the best country in the world to live in. And having spent eight years living in Angola, when it was rated the second worst country on Earth to live in, I can tell you that's true. In fact I knew a lot of ex-pats who made a lot less than that, but lived like millionaires because of the relative economics.

Canada's reputation is as a safe, nice, politically stable, moderate place to live. But when you can live anywhere, and play anywhere, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I love being Canadian, and I love many of our values and cultures, but if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't live here 12 months on. I've lived too many other places to thinks that's sensible.

Pachuco
12-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Hope you're done puking in time to see my response. Dichio and Robbo do not make 1.9mil a year. They also aren't good enough for top flight in Europe. If they were, they would not be here.

My point my friend, in case you missed it, was that we need to throw money at Nuno Gomez type players if we want them to come here. All of them would see coming here as a career limiting move. So you are dreaming if you think you are going to bring someone from the top league in Portugal simply on the basis that Canada is a good place to live. You have to throw money at these players until they can't refuse it. What this means is that we will more then likely over pay for a DP.

An to say that Canada's lifestyle is 10x better than Europe is a joke and ignorant.

billyfly
12-08-2008, 12:28 AM

I have to agree with the others. Born and raised in Canada and love my country but the lifestyle in Europe (lets use Southern Europe since we are talking about Gomes) is totally comparible if not better than here at 1.(something) million. My parents are there now sitting on the coast sipping Sagres (Portuguese beer) and Vinho while its + 15 C.

We are not talking about players who are potential DPs that are coming from some war torn poor regions of the world.

C.Ronaldo
12-08-2008, 11:45 AM
having respect from media and fans is a big issue.

Pro Athletes can live without being followed and treated like meat here.

poppamidnight
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM

how so? I just put a funny possible scenario forth....

Listen, getting shot down twice reflects bad on us as a franchise,

our 'shot-down' happened in the media and just makes us seem hokey-pokey

it's like a little kid who can't comprehend than a stove-top is hot, even when he just touched it

People just cringe at watching/hearing about it