PDA

View Full Version : Wynne gone in January?

jloome
12-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Ives Galarcep has predicted today that Marvell Wynne will be off to the Eredivisie in the new year, which if correct would mean we need a new -- top level -- right back, unless Nana's ready to step in.

Personally, Wynne seemed to be hedging away from that when asked about it by media towards the end of the season, so I can see him staying for another year then going to one fo the top four leagues, thanks to his rapid strides.

Is he staying or going? And how much should we get for him if he goes? He certainly seems more ready to play immediately than Maurice Edu, in a position that is tougher to fill.

Corpand
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
If he leaves we seriously have to rethink our defence...we simply dont have quality players back there.

Nuvinho
12-04-2008, 04:17 PM
does he have enough international games to get a work visa in Europe?

CretanBull
12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Playing in Holland is a nice stepping stone to one of the top 4 leagues...he could go there in January, play the second half of the season and either re-sign there or move to a bigger league depending on how things go for him.

Shaughno
12-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I hope not, but if so expect Velez to move to his natural position of RB. Unless we sign a new RB over the offseason.

CretanBull
12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Velez would be better at RB than he is in the middle...I'd like to see Nana get some time. Gabe Gala would be good going forward down the line, but I'm not sure how good he is defensively.

Shaughno
12-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't think Nana is ready yet personally. I like what I see, but I can't see him being a week in week out defender... yet.

Velez is a natural RB, he only got jammed into the middle because Wynne had RB on lockdown.

Fiin
12-04-2008, 04:30 PM
I really hope this doesnt happen.. even at his natural spot of RB Velez is shaky... and then we'de be on the hunt for 2 compitant defenders.. something this league isnt exactly swimming in :/

Wynne game in and game out was the best player we had I think last yr.. very very steady and reliable.

Damien
12-04-2008, 04:32 PM
If we did sell him we'd have even more allocation $, not that loosing him is a good thing.

Fiin
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
If we did sell him we'd have even more allocation $, not that loosing him is a good thing.

Yah, this is prolly one of the rare times I would rather not have the $$... replacing Wynne would be hard.. even with a good chunk of change.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Dont think we will see him leave.
That being said, if we do, i like the idea of at least giving Velez a go in his natural position as well as giving Nana a go

Jack
12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Velez acquitted himself well at RB in the Carolina Cup if I recall correctly.

I was actually excited about him....

Then things went downhill when he was put in the middle.

Regardless of whether Wynne leaves or not, we still need to shore up the centre of the D.

poppamidnight
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM
IMO Nanas ready to take that spot SO LONG AS WE HAVE A SOLID ANCHOR IN THE MIDDLE....

too many times last year Nana was forced to scramble due to a lapse from one of our CB's, which i think made him look at fault some of the time (when he wasnt)
Also, lets keep in mind...
Wynne was never a good Positional DEFENDER... his speed got him through,
Nana's hands down better positionally.
I'm mainly gung-ho about it due to the fact our youth always gets held back to long and it ends up biting us in the arse

Ibby + Rosenlund werent allowed to climb the depth chart for so long, even when their play was better than the crap in front of them.
+
I'm still insisting that Hemming shouldh've got the look over at least 3 guys,
He was our best player for the final 3 weeks of our first season, and yet carver never gave him a fair shake coming into this year.

Give Nana his dues or were just gunna see all our youth walk out the door

Sidenote: IF Wynne goes in January, is that transfer $ that MLS insists on us spending within the year TACKED ON to Edu's, or do they carry it over until that 1 yr period for Edu expires?

Jack
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Well...you make some good points Poppa, but I think saying "our youth always gets held back to long and it ends up biting us in the arse" is a bit premature.

Maybe in another 5 years or something.

jloome
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Velez acquitted himself well at RB in the Carolina Cup if I recall correctly.

I was actually excited about him....

Then things went downhill when he was put in the middle.

Regardless of whether Wynne leaves or not, we still need to shore up the centre of the D.

This was my take as well, but I'm not sure he's a "natural" RB. Didn't he play centrally for seattle and puerto rico in the USL?

Either way, I don't think Velez should ever be considered for a full-time position. As unready as he may be, it seems apparent that Nana reads the game better than Velez does (or Julius James for that matter.)

Maybe that's how they'll salvage/progress (depending on your perspective) James; he's certainly athletic enough to be converted into a plaer going forward. Don't know if the technique is there, but his game reading and adjustment to the speed of the pro game was so weak this year that I can't see leaving him the middle.

Fiin
12-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Well...you make some good points Poppa, but I think saying "our youth always gets held back to long and it ends up biting us in the arse" is a bit premature.

Maybe in another 5 years or something.

A 5 yr plan mayhaps?

Jack
12-04-2008, 05:15 PM
A 5 yr plan mayhaps?
Well not that.

But to say "our youth always gets held back" after two years of existence and some pretty spotty "youth" being available seems a bit exaggerated to me.

Shakes McQueen
12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
If we sell Wynne too - that is going to be a scary amount of allocation at our disposal.

We could sign some amazing players.

- Scott

Mikey
12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I really hope this is not going to happen. If it does I think we are looking at the trend for TFC for the forseeable future. As soon as a player starts to develop TFC sells them off for cash that MLSE then sits on for the interest payments.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-04-2008, 06:10 PM
i think the point is that the youth are more or less at or close to the point where they should be playing professionally or getting time so they can develop and we havent quite seen that yet, granted it is the second year. I do think Gala, Nana and Rosenlund do need more time off the bench, honestly, as immediate subs, thats just me tho

Ossington Mental Youth
12-04-2008, 06:11 PM
MLSE cant sit on interest payments the money has to be spent on transfers/allocations/etc etc, its that or it expires, mls dictates this (one good thing about the league)

Toronto_Bhoy
12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
How much would we get for Marvell?

I like Wynne but to be honest he's a one footed defender who gets caught out of position way too often but is able to recover with his incredible speed.

A whole new game on natural grass with good players in a very skilled league.

Advice: Call Edu and ask him how his European experience is going?

jloome
12-04-2008, 07:51 PM
How much would we get for Marvell?

I like Wynne but to be honest he's a one footed defender who gets caught out of position way too often but is able to recover with his incredible speed.

A whole new game on natural grass with good players in a very skilled league.

Advice: Call Edu and ask him how his European experience is going?

That's actually why I'm hoping he stays for another year; his positional issues pretty much disappeared in the second half of the season, indicating he can improve substantially under carver. Given that his crossing is still poor, and he would doubtless like to improve his footwork, he might see the value in skipping Holland or a second-tier league if a year more here will put him in the Prem, or Italy, or Spain.

AL-MO
12-04-2008, 07:54 PM
That's actually why I'm hoping he stays for another year; his positional issues pretty much disappeared in the second half of the season, indicating he can improve substantially under carver. Given that his crossing is still poor, and he would doubtless like to improve his footwork, he might see the value in skipping Holland or a second-tier league if a year more here will put him in the Prem, or Italy, or Spain.

I like Marvell but I don't see that happening.

giambac
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
pm
Ives Galarcep has predicted today that Marvell Wynne will be off to the Eredivisie in the new year, which if correct would mean we need a new -- top level -- right back, unless Nana's ready to step in.

Personally, Wynne seemed to be hedging away from that when asked about it by media towards the end of the season, so I can see him staying for another year then going to one fo the top four leagues, thanks to his rapid strides.

Is he staying or going? And how much should we get for him if he goes? He certainly seems more ready to play immediately than Maurice Edu, in a position that is tougher to fill.

My sources say he is leaving on Dec31 at 11:59 pm one second before the clock strikes midnight. :noidea::drinking:

devioustrevor
12-04-2008, 09:17 PM
does he have enough international games to get a work visa in Europe?

I think Holland and Belgium have incredibly easy work regulations.

jrey
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Marvell would not cut it in the prem, la liga, serie a or the bundesliga. I could see him in the eredivisie - as a backup.

He's fast. He runs people down like nothing else. He wins important battles most of time.

He has to be fast because his position is terrible. He pushed people in the box to draw a penalty how many times last year?

If he stays, he stays - and we're better for it.

If he goes, he goes - and we're still better for it. Allocation and another stable defender who might stay here is about equal for me.

I love Marvell-ous. But I'm indifferent if he goes.

Very few players on TFC are UN-expendable. Their shoes can be filled by any competent manager - and I'll give Mo that much.

What I'd be most concerned about is moving backwards. But with a young guy wanting to go to Europe, there's not much we can do to stop him. I mean, a lot of players seem to want to play in the Finnish 2nd Division than play here.

mighty_torontofc_2008
12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
lets hope we can keep Marvell, we need a player like that, signing him to a longer deal would be great...come on MO!!

Beach_Red
12-04-2008, 11:00 PM
lets hope we can keep Marvell, we need a player like that, signing him to a longer deal would be great...come on MO!!

Does TFC actually have any say over it, though? With the contracts owned by MLS can they just sell them whenever they want?

poppamidnight
12-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Well not that.

But to say "our youth always gets held back" after two years of existence and some pretty spotty "youth" being available seems a bit exaggerated to me.

actually the way I looked at it, it's a regular occurance, hence "always"

then consider this:

If what you have on the field is doing absolutely nothing for you at the time, what harm can it be to play that youth?

There were countless examples of this:
-Andy Welsh
-Braz
-Samuel
-Velez
-Cunningham
-Ruiz
-Jarrod Smith
-Harmse
-RObert
-Dunivant

umm thats 9 in 2 years just off the top of my head.... All examples of a messed up depth chart that contributed NOTHING to on-field play

Heres a list of the players held behind these players for an extended period of time for no logical reason:
-Hemming (velez/Braz/dunivant)
-Rosenlund (Harmse)
-Ibbe (Cunningham, Ja. Smith, Ruiz)

so yes el presidente, "always" is a good term of use in this sense, but i CAN reduce it to "quite frequently" if you see examples on the contrary

James17930
12-05-2008, 12:20 AM
^ Umm, some of those guys you have listed as contributing nothing -- Harmse and Dunny, for instance -- is just plain wrong. They both became very important players for the team.

And Ibbe is still only 17 -- I don't think he should have played more than he did, and the fact that he scored two goals in that limited time shows he does have a strong future and isn't being held back.

As for Gala -- sorry, but he's way too small to be a defender (height: 5-7 weight:134). I don't care if he can dribble and has good positional sense or whatever, when you're that small, players are gonna muscle you off the ball and walk through you every time.

We saw that with Young Pyo-Lee at Spurs -- smart, reliable player who worked his ass off but couldn't win the ball to save his life. Everyone eventually realized he just wasn't cut out for such a physical leauge. I think it's the same with Gala.

onemanbarmyarmy
12-05-2008, 04:49 AM
He's fast. He runs people down like nothing else. He wins important battles most of time.

He has to be fast because his position is terrible. He pushed people in the box to draw a penalty how many times last year?

If he stays, he stays - and we're better for it.

If he goes, he goes - and we're still better for it. Allocation and another stable defender who might stay here is about equal for me.

I love Marvell-ous. But I'm indifferent if he goes.

Very few players on TFC are UN-expendable. Their shoes can be filled by any competent manager - and I'll give Mo that much.

I see what you mean but for me it's the devil you know vs. the devil you don't. Marvel is making pretty big improvements and i think position can be taught speed can't. Neither can that element of attacking that Marvell brings. You can't say that we will be able to get a good defender if he leaves.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Gotta agree with JLoome, Wynne made leaps and bounds in the second half of the year and would prob excel and really find himself technically with one more year in the MLS.
At this point hes about half way there, hes got the speed but not the technique/skill.
Its too soon for him to leave. Dont think he'd do well in any of the top tier leagues at this point by any means

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Gotta agree with JLoome, Wynne made leaps and bounds in the second half of the year and would prob excel and really find himself technically with one more year in the MLS.
At this point hes about half way there, hes got the speed but not the technique/skill.
Its too soon for him to leave. Dont think he'd do well in any of the top tier leagues at this point by any means

Looks familiar. Edu.

If he stays, great. If he goes, just get a ridculous amount for another US National please.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, Edu could have used another season or two but im guessing the pull of europe was too strong, the US football federation (or whatever their called) prob wanted him over there for training/playing and the money was great. Dunno if itll be the same for Wynne

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, Edu could have used another season or two but im guessing the pull of europe was too strong, the US football federation (or whatever their called) prob wanted him over there for training/playing and the money was great. Dunno if itll be the same for Wynne

I doubt Rangers were looking at Edu's current play and looking more at what National team he played for. I see Wynne at Ajax or PSV if he goes. Not that he's there yet performance wise but neither was Edu.

onemanbarmyarmy
12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
He'll sit on the bench at best for a while in Holland, germany, scotland etc. at best. More than likely join the reserves. They aren't looking at his hustle-back-to-defend-bad-positioning style of D and saying "Wow we could use some of that here!" Those teams are thinking lets get a hold of him before the f'n yanks ruin him.

Hitcho
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
pm

My sources say he is leaving on Dec31 at 11:59 pm one second before the clock strikes midnight. :noidea::drinking:

Giambac's bells of doom chime loud (again). THE END IS NIGH!!!!

Canadian Blue
12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Wynne will get torn apart in europe.....he has speed yes, but his tackling and positioning are diabolical to say the least.

scooter
12-05-2008, 08:43 PM
marvel aint going nowhere he is good for at least one more year he told me at shoeless he loves playing in toronto and tfc is his dream come true

mlsintoronto
12-05-2008, 09:20 PM
marvel aint going nowhere he is good for at least one more year he told me at shoeless he loves playing in toronto and tfc is his dream come true

whew! Thats a relief!

VPjr
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM

that's the equivalent of management giving the coach a "vote of confidence".

he's a goner for sure now

profit89
12-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Good for him and good for this league. The credibility of the league grows with each transfer to a top euro league.

Central/South American leagues will eventually become feeder leagues to mls. Then mls to europe.

Big Bruva
12-06-2008, 05:53 AM
I doubt Rangers were looking at Edu's current play and looking more at what National team he played for. I see Wynne at Ajax or PSV if he goes. Not that he's there yet performance wise but neither was Edu.

If he plans on going to a club like Ajax he has a LONG way to go before he can even think of being at the technical level of nearly every player at the club. Ajax are known for having one of the best if not th best youth system and bringing through players making sure their technical ability is at a high level.

Marv will do well athletically if he went to europe but his technical ability will get exposed way more than it does in the MLS, hope he does well whenever he leaves though.

Hitcho
12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
whew! Thats a relief!

^^ :rofl::rofl: