PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Wednesday , Dec. 03

denime
12-03-2008, 06:58 AM
First three fixtures released
Reds will open 2009 at K.C. Wizards

Toronto FC will open the 2009 MLS season with an away game at Kansas City Wizards on Saturday March 21 at 8:30 p.m. followed by a trip to Columbus Crew on March 28 at 4:00 p.m. The 2009 home opener is against the newest team in the league Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday, April 4. Toronto FC will be looking to win at Kansas City for the first time. The Reds were beaten 2-0 in 2008, and played at Kansas twice in the inaugural season in 2007. They lost 3-0 in the first game at Arrowhead Stadium and then tied 1-1 later in the season with a goal from Danny Dichio.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081202&content_id=207418&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Toronto FC open '09 in Kansas City

NEW YORK -- Major League Soccer's 14th season begins with "First Kick," the weekend of March 19-22, 2009, when 14 teams kickoff the 2009 MLS regular season. Highlights of First Kick include the inaugural game for 2009 expansion team Seattle Sounders FC. Seattle, the League's 15th team hosts the New York Red Bulls, MLS Cup 2008 finalists, on Thursday, March 19..

The home opener for each MLS club is included below. Games could be added to Weeks 2 and 3 at a later date. Major League Soccer's complete 2009 schedule, including local and national broadcast details, will be announced by early February 2009.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/12/02/tfc_schedule_2009/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

scooter
12-03-2008, 07:58 AM
mornin---sounds good bring it on

CoachGT
12-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks denime! So it looks like I might just have to visit KC a little earlier than I had planned......

TFC 420
12-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Shit! The Sunshine Girl has harrier arms than me! lol

deltox
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Ownership group for Major League Soccer in Vancouver reconsiders franchise fee

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1023715

VANCOUVER - Should we pay or should we go?
That's the question facing the Vancouver Whitecaps and five other ownership groups bidding for two Major League Soccer franchises as a global recession forces them to reconsider the $40-million US franchise fee.

keem-o-sabi
12-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Today's Daily Hottie Snapshot (http://coedmagazine.com/daily/44431/)

rocker
12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
the headline on the Vancouver article is misleading.
they aren't reconsidering the fee itself, the way montreal did. Neither are they getting cold feet about it, as the writer implies in the article.
they are saying that if the city doesn't do the expansion of BC Place, they can't commit to the fee. that makes perfect sense since they wouldn't have a proper stadium to play in otherwise!

Quote:
He said his group still expects to pay a $40-million fee if it is selected to join the league.

Oldtimer
12-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Now here's an article to stir up controversy:

Toronto Sports Teams Safe in Richard Peddie's Hands

For most of us, the closest we get to being the President of a basketball team is by taking part in our various fantasy pools. We like the pretend feeling it gives us that we are getting to have a go in the big chair for a change and that we are the ones actually calling the shots.
For Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) President and CEO Richard Peddie, there’s no fantasy in his job overseeing four professional sports franchises.

Young men in their early 20’s are often not thinking too deeply into their careers at that stage of their life. While many are more concerned about where and when the next party is happening, Peddie knew even way back then what he wanted to do with his life.

He wrote in a personal journal that he, “wanted to be President of a basketball team,” stated Peddie from his plush new offices overlooking Lake Ontario at the Air Canada Center, and in 1996 that dream came true.

A self-confessed basketball fan, Peddie says that, “the other three teams are a bonus,” referring to the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Marlies and now MLSE’s newest baby, Major League Soccer’s (MLS) Toronto FC.

Not that he takes any of them less seriously than the others.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/87761-toronto-sports-teams-safe-in-richard-peddies-hands

A 3 page article!!! :eek:

Technorgasm
12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
WOw.

who else is just OVER THE MOON.

that we are already talkin about TFC Fixtures?!

killer.

Can;t wait to see what we brew up for KC?

Columbus game one 08. . . . x10

arbogast
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Ownership group for Major League Soccer in Vancouver reconsiders franchise fee

http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1023715

VANCOUVER - Should we pay or should we go?
That's the question facing the Vancouver Whitecaps and five other ownership groups bidding for two Major League Soccer franchises as a global recession forces them to reconsider the $40-million US franchise fee.

The insight in to the Miami bid in this article is interesting too: Apparently they are demanding that at if selected, they be allowed to begin play in 2010 instead of 2011.

Redcoe15
12-03-2008, 11:13 AM
The insight in to the Miami bid in this article is interesting too: Apparently they are demanding that at if selected, they be allowed to begin play in 2010 instead of 2011.
And you can bet Garber will bend over backwards to help out a business partner. What a joke it will be to allow this failed market back into the league over more deserving soccer markets.

bee dubya
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
WOw.

who else is just OVER THE MOON.

that we are already talkin about TFC Fixtures?!

killer.

Can;t wait to see what we brew up for KC?

Columbus game one 08. . . . x10

There aren't enough seats in KC's stadium for us to bring 25K fans down there. Besides, with the travel distance and the state of the economy, I expect that the crowd will be much smaller for KC than it was for Columbus last year.

arbogast
12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
And you can bet Garber will bend over backwards to help out a business partner. What a joke it will be to allow this failed market back into the league over more deserving soccer markets.

I can't agree more.
and the biggest travesty is that the league will allow Miami to ground share with a college football team

C.Ronaldo
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
i'll drive to KC.

or better yet, charter a flight, in down economic times. it will cost less

Yohan
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
i'll drive to KC.

or better yet, charter a flight, in down economic times. it will cost less

wouldnt that be something. RPB chartered flight to KC. (and full service bar incl) :p

bones
12-03-2008, 03:54 PM
wouldnt that be something. RPB chartered flight to KC. (and full service bar incl) :p

Workin' on it ;)

Bones...

Beach_Red
12-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I can't agree more.
and the biggest travesty is that the league will allow Miami to ground share with a college football team

Is that because it's football or college?

Marc"2L"
12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
KC's out for me. 3rd year has finally turned me into a A-typical broke student.