PDA

View Full Version : Why I like MLS

J .
12-03-2008, 01:36 AM
It is a working mans league. Mostly made of guys with good working effort. Guys like Robert suck who just come to collect some cash and not try. Those who have great skills are paid well, but not the excesses with a few notable exceptions such as the overrated Posham

I like that you have to try in this league. You will likely not get perfect service or if you do it is once in a while. The quality is not as shit as people make out, just the production value of television, marketing and more is much less. Depth is an issue which will be resolved with better academies and in house training.

Sure we could have a league filled with players making millions, but we would be getting Morge (read ACC) ticket prices.

While all the Europhiles will flame on crap quality etc. I like it, its is good entertainment, good pricing, supporters are a blast and the best ticket in town.

I hope MLSE doesn't start gouging or they will ruin it, but right now I am happy with MLS and every year I am getting more and more into knowing more about the other teams and wanting to follow MLS news and not just TFC.

Cashcleaner
12-03-2008, 02:21 AM
It's....getting better. The problem is that not enough is done to encourage players to stay here and play in MLS. Once guys are developed to a high level, they get picked up by the European clubs and we'll only see them again towards their retirement.

I'd love to see top-quality players learn and develop here, and then STAY HERE.

Fort York Redcoat
12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
It is a working mans league. Mostly made of guys with good working effort. Guys like Robert suck who just come to collect some cash and not try. Those who have great skills are paid well, but not the excesses with a few notable exceptions such as the overrated Posham

I like that you have to try in this league. You will likely not get perfect service or if you do it is once in a while. The quality is not as shit as people make out, just the production value of television, marketing and more is much less. Depth is an issue which will be resolved with better academies and in house training.

Sure we could have a league filled with players making millions, but we would be getting Morge (read ACC) ticket prices.

While all the Europhiles will flame on crap quality etc. I like it, its is good entertainment, good pricing, supporters are a blast and the best ticket in town.

I hope MLSE doesn't start gouging or they will ruin it, but right now I am happy with MLS and every year I am getting more and more into knowing more about the other teams and wanting to follow MLS news and not just TFC.

I echo your sentiments J but plenty of Europhiles watch leagues that must deal with the poaching of players from bigger European leagues. I think we can deal with it too.

Parkdale
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I like the league because one day, my team is going to win the cup.

Technorgasm
12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Its great to have some good vibes being spread around.

We should also appreciate the Rivalries, however young are developing.

It adds a lot to the flavour of the league, and to our overall enjoyment.

plus.. . . HELLO ROADTRIPS!!!

profit89
12-03-2008, 08:30 PM
The European Leagues, which I have followed my entire life, are becoming overly repetitive. Same teams all the time in CL. Rich get richer.

MLS. Yeah the quality is not that great. But at least everyone has a decent shot at the title. Worst to first is not impossible.

Keyman
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Where's the fun in watching quality when results are predetermined?

The continual dominance of high revenue clubs throughout Europe puts me to sleep, and has left me very uninterested in domestic leagues across the continent. I like Major League Soccer, and will continue to support it as a league. The result of perpetual support will hopefully be that the league reaches the enormous potential it has. There is ample room for improvement, people just need to support it through thick and thin.

TorCanSoc
12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
For me, MLS succes means national team success. Look at the U.S. I just dream of three Canadian teams for sure, and really dream five or six Canadian teams in the league. Our Natioanl team will make it to the world cup. We'll get demolished, but the road trip lads, think of the road trips !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james
12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I like MLS how all teams have a chance to win. As said in other leagues it can get borring seeing the same top 2 or 3 clubs winning year after year.

However MLS has alot of things to inprove on. The talent needs to get better, id actually like to see MLS teams be strong contenders for Champions League. The format MLS uses for the regular season to a single table and fix the regular season schedule. Some teams need new stadiums, its shit seeing NFL gridlines and baseball on the soccer field. Many teams need more fans. And many teams in MLS need to change the way the league is marketed, soccer moms aint working, and having cheap advertisements durring the game like Joe's Pizza at the 20th minute on some american TV coverage just makes the league look really amature. Also i really wish some teams got new names and crests...Kansas City Wizards, what a JOKE! why dont they just call them Kansas City "Blues" or somethin with a cool crest thats more respectable, not some kiddie team name and crest.

James17930
12-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Gotta agree -- the salary cap and draft structure, which is now becoming almost a prerequisite for success in N. American sports, ensures a continual turn-around in teams that can compete year to year.

It's definitely a better set-up than the UEFA leagues, whom I think need to find a salary-cap structure that works for them if they want to stay afloat. Plus, I think they would find the excitement in the leagues over there would increase dramatically with that type of arrangement.

Sure MLS has its worts, but it's pretty damn good overall, and is only getting better.

I can't wait until 2012 when we're at 18 teams, all with at least a year under their belts -- I predict that's going to be MLS's best year ever.

James Oliphant
12-05-2008, 01:16 AM
I like MLS because I now have a reason to be emotionally invested in a team.

Azerban
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I like MLS because I read a thread in another forum I frequent, and they were going on about experiencing meeting their clubs players. It was always "holy shit I saw this guy in line at the supermarket" and "once I was driving my car and I swear I saw this guy walking down the street!" and I stepped back and felt amazed that we have a sports league where the players actually interact with the fans now and again.

That'll quickly disappear once they start making money but one day we will look back on these years and sigh a content sigh.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2008, 01:45 AM
The European Leagues, which I have followed my entire life, are becoming overly repetitive. Same teams all the time in CL. Rich get richer.

MLS. Yeah the quality is not that great. But at least everyone has a decent shot at the title. Worst to first is not impossible.

Thats a really good point. Parity. That's what its all about. MLS is a league where having the most highly paid players does not guarantee a championship. Rather; good team dynamics, management, and overall talent from all players on the roster is what makes the difference between a winning side and a losing side.

Keystone FC
12-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Thats a really good point. Parity. That's what its all about. MLS is a league where having the most highly paid players does not guarantee a championship. Rather; good team dynamics, management, and overall talent from all players on the roster is what makes the difference between a winning side and a losing side.

Agreed (man I agree with you alot). Look at this past year. sCrew won the SS and the MLS Cup while the previous 3 years they didn't even make the playoffs. RSL was in the Western Conf. Championship and again they were no where near the playoffs last year. And only the MLS can have a Eastern club in the Western final. I mean come on, what Euro league can top that.
The possibilities are endless.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
^ Yeah, and thats not to bash the Euro leagues, but certainly something is wrong with a system when you have only one, two, or three teams winning their respective league titles for the past 20 odd years. Take the SPL for example. The last time a team other than Ranger or Celtic won the league was Aberdeen back in 1985.

While I don't believe success should be punished, I do think you need to have some sort of level playing field.

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2008, 08:43 AM
^ Yeah, and thats not to bash the Euro leagues, but certainly something is wrong with a system when you have only one, two, or three teams winning their respective league titles for the past 20 odd years. Take the SPL for example. The last time a team other than Ranger or Celtic won the league was Aberdeen back in 1985.

While I don't believe success should be punished, I do think you need to have some sort of level playing field.

Different priorities man. In Europe there is more than the league to compete for. Here? Not yet. There is a direct correlation of parity and strength of regional competition.

You and I may know that our young Champions league is more important but the players and teams and league don't treat it as such yet.
I'm enjoying watching our baby league develop but the parity and difference in structure is what holds it back. The structure will be changed gradually but should change.

Cashcleaner
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
^ We don't have multiple leagues? There's SuperLiga, CONCACAF Champions League, US Open Cup/Voyageurs Cup, Pan-Pacific Cup...

I agree that we still have a way to go, though. Personally, I like the draft and think it should be opened up to CIS prospects as well as NCAA, and I believe in having a cap -just not as ridiculously low as it is now.

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
^ We don't have multiple leagues? There's SuperLiga, CONCACAF Champions League, US Open Cup/Voyageurs Cup, Pan-Pacific Cup...

I agree that we still have a way to go, though. Personally, I like the draft and think it should be opened up to CIS prospects as well as NCAA, and I believe in having a cap -just not as ridiculously low as it is now.

Yes and once the league ups the salaries and expands the rosters the other tournaments will get the focus they deserve.

The draft should be open but these kids are too old by the time they're out of college.

Shakes McQueen
12-05-2008, 09:16 AM
MLS will one day be a great league, because of parity. It may currently lead to a lot of frustration because of the small cap, and spending restraints - but we will come to appreciate it.

While European football is a lot better in quality - it isn't nearly as competitive, as far as domestic leagues go.

I like MLS, because I love that they gave me a local team to get emotionally invested in, and support. While I'm a fervent follower of Barcelona and Arsenal - it doesn't compare with having a local team to cheer on.

When Barca or Arsenal fail, I'm disappointed. When Toronto FC fails, I get legitimately upset about the results.

And when that first MLS Cup is ours - oh man.

I'd love to have a crystal ball, to look 50 years down the road at MLS, and what it will look like. I'm glad I'm still young enough, that I've got most of a lifetime to follow my team. :)

- Scott

Azerban
12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
When Barca or Arsenal fail, I'm disappointed. When Toronto FC fails, I get legitimately upset about the results.

Oh my god, this. When Bayern lose, it ruins my day. When Toronto loses, it ruins my week.

H Bomb
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
^^ yeah but you're European teams never fucking lose!!

It's easy to not get too upset knowing that they probably wont lose for another 5-6 weeks

Shakes McQueen
12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
^^ yeah but you're European teams never fucking lose!!

It's easy to not get too upset knowing that they probably wont lose for another 5-6 weeks

You clearly haven't watched Arsenal much this season. :D

- Scott

H Bomb
12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
^^ What was that...zero losses 3-4 years ago? Most teams could go decades on that...I'm just getting frustrated with the Jays and they won back to back 15 years ago

...and while this is all in fun...You thinking Arsenal are having a bad year kinda proves my point