PDA

View Full Version : Sign Dave Van den Bergh?

jloome
12-02-2008, 07:44 PM
The NY winger, one of the best wide players in the league, is out of contract. The team, according to fans on Ives's site, is trying to get him to take a pay cut, even though most seem to think he was New York's best player last season.

With all of our allocation money available and the ability to keep the cap base below $250,000 as a result, should we sign Van den Bergh? His service is excellent, he can track back (he started as a fullback) and he can even score from distance.

Is he worth the cap hit, which would be at least $200,000?

Parkdale
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
so.... the OFF SEASON RUMOURS thread wasn't the right place for this?

jloome
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
No. It's not a rumour. It's a suggestion. There's been no rumour that we've approached him or anything like it.

Parkdale
12-02-2008, 08:08 PM
okay then.

just keeping up on the housekeeping around here.

Captain Croatia
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Sign him yes, a wonderful winger, scores some too.

rocker
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
what would we have to give to NYRB? they would still hold his rights I believe. there's no free agency in MLS if you wanna move around in the league.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Itd be a really smart signing but ROckers right, we'd have to trade something for his rights.
Retarded.

Captain Croatia
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
what would we have to give to NYRB? they would still hold his rights I believe. there's no free agency in MLS if you wanna move around in the league.

If we have to trade something nevermind then, i though it went to free agency. Damn MLS rules.:noidea:

rocker
12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
ya there's only free agency if a team waives a guy.. then you can sign him.. but then there's the waiver order. there's no reason to waive the guy since the rights don't lapse for a while (is it 2 years???).

jloome
12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Perhaps a combination of draft picks? We've already established that the draft is a real crap shoot in terms of long-term productivity.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Sign Van den Bergh for 200K? Yes although it's too bad you'd have to compensate New York. He had 7 goals and 5 assists last year and would be worth it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
He’s a definite maybe. Apparently there’s some interest in him back in Holland. He’s a good player but it’s tough to say who else is out there that TFC might be looking at. Might be nice to get a younger player, who could potentially be here for a while, but this isn’t a perfect world.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Would be a good signing forsure, depending what New York wants for him. Remember, we got Ruiz for supplemental draft picks. If we could get his rights for that or a 2nd rounder or something, would be worth looking into.

Phil
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I like the idea of getting guys who know the league and its players well. It can make all the difference for coaching and other players in the room.

Roogsy
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
He's a decent player that caused all sorts of problems for TFC...I think Mo should look at him. Did he play when Mo was in NY?

J .
12-02-2008, 09:59 PM
He would be an improvement for us, seems more consistent.

Nuvinho
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Joe Cannon anyone??

Sources have confirmed to the Insider that San Jose declined the option on star goalkeeper Joe Cannon's contract, which was due to pay him around $225,000 next season. The Earthquakes would like to re-sign him at a lower figure, but because the option was not picked up by yesterday, he is free to negotiate overseas. A Norwegian club has already stepped forward and begun looking into the possibility of making an offer.

Roogsy
12-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Joe Cannon is a good keeper. He will land somewhere.

Keyman
12-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes, I bet he would perform better than anyone else we are currently looking at. If you've seen him play, he's a very dangerous player. Compensating New York would be worth it. He might not come though, he moved to America because of his wife.

jloome
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, I bet he would perform better than anyone else we are currently looking at. If you've seen him play, he's a very dangerous player. Compensating New York would be worth it. He might not come though, he moved to America because of his wife.

Lemme guess: a model?

Ives is suggesting Mikael Galindo might be trade bait at Chivas. He's another MLSer it'd be nice to see here.

BigLou
12-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Great winger, has a knack for a really strong cross and is a left footed player who can also score with his right. Would love him starting on our LW.

Shaughno
12-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Lemme guess: a model?

Ives is suggesting Mikael Galindo might be trade bait at Chivas. He's another MLSer it'd be nice to see here.

He's a decent striker but not prolific by any means. I think he played with the Sounders in the USL, so I wouldn't be surprised if Chivas tried to trade him to Seattle for someone/thing.

Oh, and I believe it's Maykel, not Mikael. :p

Ossington Mental Youth
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Had a great last season, this season not so much, mostly due to injuries hto

ensco
12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Galindo almost cretainly wouldn't come to Canada. He defected from Cuba only three years ago. You have to assume he will want to maintain US residency until he gets his US passport, which is usually 5 years.

Shaughno
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
^^ Agreed. Like I said, I think he'll be trade bait for Seattle.

Oldtimer
12-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I think this does belong with rumours. Just rename the thread to include "suggestions.":D

Hitcho
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
The sticky thread is actually called "off season trades / dp rumours", which includes all off-season trades and any dp rumours. this relates to an off-season trade, so it should be in there. otherwise, the number of "suggested" players over the off-season will go nuts. some people just cannot help posting threads about who they suggest/hope/would like to sign...

jloome
12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
The sticky thread is actually called "off season trades / dp rumours", which includes all off-season trades and any dp rumours. this relates to an off-season trade, so it should be in there. otherwise, the number of "suggested" players over the off-season will go nuts. some people just cannot help posting threads about who they suggest/hope/would like to sign...

Hitcho, it depends how you read it. If it's offseason trades and DP rumours, then yes, that makes sense.

But it reads as offseason trades/DP rumours, which thanks to the slash would make the rumour part refer to both "offseason trades" and "DP."

As for the "some people just cannot help posting threads about who they suggest/hope/would like to sign", It's a tough day here and I don't feel like arguing with people. I don't give a shit where the posting goes, whether it's under another thread or here.

Shaughno
12-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Personally, my idea was to have the rumors with sources only in the other thread. Apparently it didn't work out as it's just become a discussion thread. What would have been more beneficial would be 2 threads. One for confirmed rumours/sources and another for suggestions/discussions.

Anyway, no matter. I'd take VDB.

Hitcho
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hitcho, it depends how you read it. If it's offseason trades and DP rumours, then yes, that makes sense.

But it reads as offseason trades/DP rumours, which thanks to the slash would make the rumour part refer to both "offseason trades" and "DP."

As for the "some people just cannot help posting threads about who they suggest/hope/would like to sign", It's a tough day here and I don't feel like arguing with people. I don't give a shit where the posting goes, whether it's under another thread or here.

Hah - that wasn't aimed at you jloome, but I didn't want to list names, so sorry if it seemd like it was aimed your way.

for what it's worth, and wherever the thread goes, i think VDB would be a great signing for TFC (does anyoen not?!) but can't see it happening given the MLS rules as stated on here.

jloome
12-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Okay, so Ives is reporting today that DVB will go back to Europe if he can't get a deal with RBNY or ANOTHER MlS team. Mo has both KC and New York connections.

He's a $240,000 cap hit, but generally considered one of the best wingers in the league and an occasional Dutch international.

Thoughts?

Shakes McQueen
12-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Which winger would you get rid of, if we were to sign him? Because we can't really justify signing another one, without cutting away some of the salary we have tied into that position now.

I like Van Den Bergh, but personally, I think our more pressing needs lie elsewhere.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I would assume it means we have the position covered well enough that signing him couldnt be justified. bit surprising noone else jumped at the chance to sign him after his most recent season

ensco
12-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd take him instead of Ricketts

rocker
12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
well, then you're trading in about 7 years of age. i think ricketts could be a longer term player for TFC than Van den bergh and contribute a lot as he grows into things.

in Van den bergh's first season he didn't play as well in KC as he would with NY and was traded for draft pick. the lesson there is to give a guy, like Ricketts, more than 1 year to judge.

ensco
12-19-2008, 11:16 PM
rocker you could be right.

Ricketts, for me, anything could happen next year. He could be league MVP, or gone by May. I really have no idea what to expect.

MUFC_Niagara
12-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Sign him yes, a wonderful winger, scores some too.

Agreed. Of the little I know of this league, he did well last year.

tlear
12-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Left footed? Sounds like a good signing, but I would rather they got some 200k defenders.. that allocation space is not unlimited

Canadian Blue
12-20-2008, 07:52 PM

Give them Ricketts who for the most part is a waste of a uniform unless he actually comes to the team in shape this season.

Let the blasting begin......

Jack
12-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Give them Ricketts who for the most part is a waste of a uniform unless he actually comes to the team in shape this season.

Let the blasting begin......
I would be all for that.

As much as people love RR around here, I've always had the sneaking feeling that RR is more about RR than anything else.

I bet RR'd love to be in New York next season. ;)

Canadian Blue
12-20-2008, 08:02 PM
I would be all for that.

As much as people love RR around here, I've always had the sneaking feeling that RR is more about RR than anything else.

I bet RR'd love to be in New York next season. ;)

This is the point I was trying to make without actually saying it....thanks.

Jack
12-20-2008, 08:08 PM
This is the point I was trying to make without actually saying it....thanks.

I've never been as impressed with RR as many around here.

To each his own, I guess.

CretanBull
12-20-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm predicting a break-out year for Rohan...this season he'll have the chance to train with the club and hopefully play with a more consistant line-up. This is his make or break year, he has to prove he's worth what we're paying him, but he has to be given the right circumstances that will allow him to prove that. This is his year.

ingo
12-20-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm predicting a break-out year for Rohan...this season he'll have the chance to train with the club and hopefully play with a more consistant line-up. This is his make or break year, he has to prove he's worth what we're paying him, but he has to be given the right circumstances that will allow him to prove that. This is his year.
This is his year.

But it won't be here in Toronto.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-21-2008, 12:42 PM
well, then you're trading in about 7 years of age. i think ricketts could be a longer term player for TFC than Van den bergh and contribute a lot as he grows into things.

in Van den bergh's first season he didn't play as well in KC as he would with NY and was traded for draft pick. the lesson there is to give a guy, like Ricketts, more than 1 year to judge.

that's true... But i think you are wrong about that rickets will grow into better things... at 26 specially within soccer almost half of your career already gone... it;s not like basketball where there are 26 or 27 year old rookies and they can be good. I think if a player at 26 haven;t shown anything prommising the chances are that he never will..... that said i think it might be an off season for rickets although some may argue that it has been an OFF a couple of season (before he even came to TFC). but judging on past season alone i would dump rickets and pick up VdB.

ben_vw
12-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Maybe we should have taken him back in 2006 when he was available in the expansion draft...

Beach_Red
12-21-2008, 12:47 PM
it;s not like basketball where there are 26 or 27 year old rookies and they can be good. I think if a player at 26 haven;t shown anything prommising the chances are that he never will.....

This is interesting and I've heard it a lot - what is it, do you think, that makes soccer different? Is it the game itself? The structure of the teams and development systems?

Some NBA players do come right out of high school, but it's rare.

ua-kozak_TFC
12-21-2008, 01:02 PM
This is interesting and I've heard it a lot - what is it, do you think, that makes soccer different? Is it the game itself? The structure of the teams and development systems?

Some NBA players do come right out of high school, but it's rare.
I think in soccer being a good atleat is not enough... at the professional level... there are some things that you need to be born with... agility plays a factor, and other things such as vision, intelligence. And although all these are part of other sports, like basketaball. To play soccer you need to be a bit of a "jugler" since possession of the ball is not as easy. Plus i think the reason basketball is different because tyhe fisical aspect of the game (ie how big, and strong you are are important.) where in soccer is agility.. and agility is something that is at its best when you are young and declines as you age, while strength increases with age and peaks in the late 20th...

Beach_Red
12-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I think in soccer being a good atleat is not enough... at the professional level... there are some things that you need to be born with... agility plays a factor, and other things such as vision, intelligence. And although all these are part of other sports, like basketaball. To play soccer you need to be a bit of a "jugler" since possession of the ball is not as easy. Plus i think the reason basketball is different because tyhe fisical aspect of the game (ie how big, and strong you are are important.) where in soccer is agility.. and agility is something that is at its best when you are young and declines as you age, while strength increases with age and peaks in the late 20th...

Okay, that makes sense, thanks.

Pachuco
12-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I'll take Van Den Bergh over Ricketts any day. Not that I don't like Ricketts, but shit, having a natural left mid (one of the best left mids in the MLS) with Guevara, Dero and Robbo would be lethal.

Pigfynn
12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I would be inclined to give Ricketts this season to prove something as well. It really isn't fair to compare players who haven't had the full pre-season, plus new country adjustment time with players that have.

Let's give him atleast until June to show his stuff. My vote is for Ricketts...for now.

twistedchinaman
12-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Might be a good idea...but like Hitcho said...can the rules make it happen?

GhostPK
12-22-2008, 03:58 AM
I would be inclined to give Ricketts this season to prove something as well. It really isn't fair to compare players who haven't had the full pre-season, plus new country adjustment time with players that have.

Let's give him atleast until June to show his stuff. My vote is for Ricketts...for now.

Are you inclined to give Ruiz a chance too? After all, Ruiz never had a chance to train with the team ;) Don't answer that, Ruiz was and is a bust, glad hes gone. Ricketts has shown some light. Let's hope this season is all light.... otherwise its time to get new shoes...

twistedchinaman
12-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Are you inclined to give Ruiz a chance too? After all, Ruiz never had a chance to train with the team ;) Don't answer that, Ruiz was and is a bust, glad hes gone. Ricketts has shown some light. Let's hope this season is all light.... otherwise its time to get new shoes...

And who knows? With VDB nipping at their heels, the others could feel the heat to push their game up a notch too...