PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Sharks to Invest in San Jose Earthquakes...

Carts
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
The San Jose Sharks of the NHL are set to purchase a 10 to 15 percent stake in the Earthquakes of Major League Soccer.

Quakes owner Lewis Wolff confirmed the pending deal to Sports Business Journal. It is expected to be worth between $2 and $3 million.

"It's a done deal," Wolff said. "It will help us as we continue to grow."

Full article here - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/12/02/sharks.quakes/index.html?eref=sircrc (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/12/02/sharks.quakes/index.html?eref=sircrc)

Carts...

flatpicker
12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
always good to see more investment in the league.

olegunnar
12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
For all the complaining we do about salary caps and league owned contracts we do, and I think those complaints have merits, we have to admit they do help make the league a stable and profitable investment.

flatpicker
12-02-2008, 01:43 PM
^ "stable and profitable"... alright, good... now raise the cap another million!

Beach_Red
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
^ "stable and profitable"... alright, good... now raise the cap another million!

A million a year for the next three years!

Seriously, though, I think we'll see more of this. The NHL has maxed out (another article in te Toronto Star today, there was one in the Globe a few days ago) and soccer is on the rise.

Soon enough we'll be complaining how the big salaries the players get is ruining the sport :D.

C.Ronaldo
12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
soccer and hockey are perfect complementing sports

they are played exactly at opposite times and are nothing alike, but both have passionate fans who aren't the NORM in North America

Its perfect for cross marketing/promoting

flatpicker
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Soon enough we'll be complaining how the big salaries the players get is ruining the sport :D.

as long as we maintain a realistic salary cap then we should be fine.

But I think the cap should be high enough that some teams spend the limit while others spend a little less.

There needs to be a little wiggle room so that the league can create a couple showcase teams (that actually win)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a pro sports league that doesn't use the success and prestige of a few teams to market it's product.

rocker
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
geez, san jose is going cheap on their stadium... 40-60million? 15000 seats only?

Beach_Red
12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
There needs to be a little wiggle room so that the league can create a couple showcase teams (that actually win)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a pro sports league that doesn't use the success and prestige of a few teams to market it's product.

I guess that's the NHL problem, no prestige teams that win ;).

jloome
12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
geez, san jose is going cheap on their stadium... 40-60million? 15000 seats only?

Seems realistic. The league will likely never above the teens in average attendance, based on other leagues around the world. So setting the standard at 15,000 is more likely to produce stadiumns that look full and ticket demand, which makes it a marketable "hot commodity."

I guess it depends how much revenue they're getting from luxury boxes etc.

gtaguy
12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
great to see that both my favorite sports are seeing the light in wanting to support each other.. Im quite certain that over the next few years not only hockey teams but big management firms will want to vest some money where the hunger for sport is!!!.. right now its soccer.....
Anyone remember some years back when sundin was still a leaf and just before game time alot of the european players were always kicking soccer balls around to keep thier muscles warm...
I even remember don the racist cherry mentioning it saying how even when the players are professionals never lose thier passion for the beautiful game. (soccer )....

CoachGT
12-03-2008, 08:03 AM
When we were down there, some of the Earthquakes guys said that the Sharks are the big ticket in San Jose. They have a solid following and the arena really rocks during games. Not the same way that a TFC game rocks, but it is pretty impressive anyway.

kodiakTFC
12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

BMO Field cost $62.5 million CDN, so that is pretty much what San Jose is spending.