PDA

View Full Version : DP: Nuno Gomes?

Lucky Strike
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Kristian Jack hears that he may be THE GUY. Cites no sources but I find it hard to believe he would yank us around for nothing.

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2008/12/01/3639.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

P.S. New thread because this is potentially huge news.

parrott114
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2008/12/01/3639.aspx

Lucky Strike
12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
P.S. No comments that he's a Portuguese so he dives or whatever. This is potentially the biggest news of our team. Keep it civil!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
i could defintly live with having that diving foooooker on this team... :)!!!

He's Quality!!

PLay DERO right behind him..and i think we are onto something! :)

MLS CUP! ? ;)

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I could swear I read somewhere that Mo went after him before but he wasnt interested.

BuSaPuNk
12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
This would be amazing!! Gomes is one of the best players to come out of portugal. If this is true it would be HUGE!!! come on Mo getter done!!

Fiin
Nuno Gomez would be a great DP..

Lucky Strike
I could swear I read somewhere that Mo went after him before but he wasnt interested.

I did too but that was some time during last off-season: things can definitely change in that time.

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
glasd I'm not the only one. He'd be a solid addition. Since we cant comment on him being portugese I'll shut up now :)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM

i remember that too but i seem to remember he said no.
Fuck it tho
Id love to have Gomes here, itd be huge

CretanBull
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
He'd solve our scoring problem....

Damien
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Would be nice if he'd come, I doubt he would though.

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
how old is gomes anyways

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I did too but that was some time during last off-season: things can definitely change in that time.

I think the original talks came down to $$$$.......Mabey TFC have changed there mind..and have unlocked the vault!!

he still has alot in the tank!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
how old is gomes anyways

32!!

flatpicker
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
would we not lose this guy to international play though?

I would rather someone who is good but no good enough for their country.

But I'll take what I can get....

VPjr
12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
I won't get excited about this rumour until I see pen to paper.

Gomes is not my fav. Portugese NT player but its my opinion that goal scoring will become less of an issue for TFC than it has been the 1st two seasons. I'm not sure if he'll fill the net like a Juan Pablo Angel but with proper service, he'll get pretty damn close.

My only issue with Gomes is how many times i've seen him blow great scoring chances. however, the quality of GK and quality of defenders he'll face in MLS is far lower than when i've seen him miss glorious opportunities for the Portugese NT.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-01-2008, 05:34 PM

But I'll take what I can get......

Portugal should be eliminated from wc2010 very soon.....:D

VPjr
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM

But I'll take what I can get....

naw....his NT career is pretty much done.

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:35 PM
32!!

thats awesome always thought he was older. That just makes him that much more appealing for us

Lucky Strike
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I think the original talks came down to $$$$.......Mabey TFC have changed there mind..and have unlocked the vault!!

he still has alot in the tank!

Yes that's true! I forgot about why he didn't come. Wasn't he offered max non-DP salary or something? I'm not certain but that seems to ring a bell.

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes that's true! I forgot about why he didn't come. Wasn't he offered max non-DP salary or something? I'm not certain but that seems to ring a bell.

I dont remember that part of it. Mo wanted to bring him in but gomes apparently turned it down. Anyone know how he feels about playing on turf?

Keyman
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Paul is reading the thread, I wonder what that means....

As for Nuno Gomes becoming our DP, I'm not sold on it.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Paul is reading the thread, I wonder what that means....

As for Nuno Gomes becoming our DP, I'm not sold on it.

How come?

Laurignano
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
To be honest I am not going to get excited over this until it actually happends.

King Tut
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Yes! You're definitely right.

However, I'll only believe it when I see the press conference to unveil Gomes alongside the TFC "Gomes" jersey...

Keyman
12-01-2008, 05:59 PM
How come?
By "sold on it" I meant I'm not really going to believe anything until it happens. Although, the Score has been a very reliable source for rumours and news pertaining to TFC.

Would I be happy with the addition of Nuno Gomes? I'm really not too sure, because I don't want to simply base my opinion on statistics. I don't watch Portuguese club football at all, and I've only seen him play a couple of times over the years (most at the international level). I really wouldn't know what to say if it did indeed occur.

Pigfynn
12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuno_Gomes

Lucky Strike
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
By "sold on it" I meant I'm not really going to believe anything until it happens. Although, the Score has been a very reliable source for rumours and news pertaining to TFC.

Would I be happy with the addition of Nuno Gomes? I'm really not too sure, because I don't want to simply base my opinion on statistics. I don't watch Portuguese club football at all, and I've only seen him play a couple of times over the years (most at the international level). I really wouldn't know what to say if it did indeed occur.

FWIW, he's a 1 in 3 scorer this year and 1 in 3.44 in the last two years. But these stats don't take into account whether or not he starts or comes off the bench. Either way, it counts as an appearance.

Obviously, we'd be better off calculating his strike rate per 90 minutes as opposed to per appearance. I'm looking into finding some stats for that (I happen to like stats :D).

Pigfynn
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
He has averaged a goal every 3 games or so during this second stint with Benfica...what would you guys figure that translates to over here?

....one in two games or better probably.

OK.....I am in.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM

HAHAHA fair enough, for me its a matter of his reputation as a high quality player. Without a doubt im not gonna allow his recent stats claim what he could do in this league as look what happened to Angel....

Which brings me to

Gomes is not my fav. Portugese NT player but its my opinion that goal scoring will become less of an issue for TFC than it has been the 1st two seasons. I'm not sure if he'll fill the net like a Juan Pablo Angel but with proper service, he'll get pretty damn close..

I think hed be close or better, look at the mediocre (and im serious here) service dude has been getting from NJ, really outside of Van Den Berg, there isnt a whole lot of talent/service on that team, not that we are super dominant but i think if Ricketts finds consistent form (which could be argued but would most likely occur with a preseason amongst a solid roster), along with Guevara and even another winger, there should be sufficiant service. I wouldnt be surprised to see him score at least 15-17.

Nodoubtguy
12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
maybe he will be showing off the new kit this Thursday....lol

CretanBull
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
My only issue with Gomes is how many times i've seen him blow great scoring chances. however, the quality of GK and quality of defenders he'll face in MLS is far lower than when i've seen him miss glorious opportunities for the Portugese NT.

Blow chances against top rated defenses...league wide, defenders in the MLS are shit.

Keyman
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I just think it's nearly impossible to prognosticate how a player is going to perform in this league. You really don't know until you see him in your teams kit, on the field. Some "talented" players come to this league and fail miserably, some don't. However, if you look at his strike rate compared to JPA's, it is very similar, which does bode well for him.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
totally, helps that hes also playing (granted irregularly) at a top level and has also played at the highest level nationally

Pigfynn
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I would check the rising expectations guys...we've been down this road oh, so many times before.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
HAHAHAHA
ill be amazed if we get a DP, let alone one that could kill shit.
realism is a big part of supporting this team (at least for me)

Yohan
12-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Does Nuno Gomes meet King Tut's expectation as a world class DP? :p

Well, if he does sign, at least all the Porkchops in T.O be a bit more happy. lols

Jeff s
12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Err what? How often do most of you guys watch this guy?

Dont join tfc please. we dont need another Cunningham. Gomes is a tap in miss king. If we want a striker that is quiet throughout most of the game, lose possession 95% of the time and blow all the easiest chances provided, go ahead.

Heck benfica fans dont even want him there ( the intelligent ones, not ones that watch benfica once every 3 months or the girls who just like gomes for his looks, not skill)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Are you a porto fan?
I for the record watch Bundesliga, just cant stand old country bias

MG42
12-01-2008, 06:42 PM
He has averaged a goal every 3 games or so during this second stint with Benfica...what would you guys figure that translates to over here?

....one in two games or better probably.

OK.....I am in.

FWIW, he's a 1 in 3 scorer this year and 1 in 3.44 in the last two years.

Someone mentioned JPA as a comparison, he averaged 1 goal every 3.89 games in 2001-2007 with Aston villa....he has averaged 1 goal every 1.42 games with NY from 2007 on....as for NT dutie he has 1 goal every 3.67 games

Jeff s
12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Yes Im a Porto fan.
If your concerned about me being bias against benfica, dont. Im able to admit which player is good or not, no matter what team they play for.

Gomes is simply finished. Since returning back from Italy, hes been getting worse and worse.

TheRenter
12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i would rather have a portuguese striker like pauleta as our DP but i know that won't happen as he is officially retired as a player and is now set to work w/in an office position w/ psg, however, i like the idea of Gomes as our DP as he would do well here for us...i for one, along w/ my brothers, would really, really like to see him here next season

forca TFC

also, Gomes is still playing for his NT as he captained them in one of the last rounds of wc qualifying....so chances are that we would lose him to intn'l duy

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Im more than certain he'd do fine here and that dude is far from finished, dont think MLSE would waste their money on him otherwise

Section 117
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
He would need service. Who would give him that service??
Wynne hewho can't hit a cross if life depended on it?
Ricketts? Gueverra?

The DP has to be a playmaker not a finisher look at what Scholetto did for Columbus amd in my opinion DeRo and Gomes are not the answer

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Dude, we'd have to get rid of Guevara to get a playmaker. Then who would finish his plays? Barrett? Dichio? Especially when they are injured/called up?

Biggest prob was that we didnt have anyone to finish em, we had plenty of chances, just never got put in the net

DigzTFC!
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, what if that deal for Mapp (trading James) happens....I think he can cross. Speculation based on speculation I know, but Mo wants another winger

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Even carver says he wants a striker/finisher

CretanBull
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Someone mentioned JPA as a comparison, he averaged 1 goal every 3.89 games in 2001-2007 with Aston villa....he has averaged 1 goal every 1.42 games with NY from 2007 on....as for NT dutie he has 1 goal every 3.67 games

That supports what I said about MLS defenses. Against Premiership D, he struggles to score. Against NT defenses he struggles to score. Against MLS defenses he lights it up.

I'm not Gomes #1 fan, but he'd do well in this league and I'd welcome him to Toronto.

Jeff s
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Im more than certain he'd do fine here and that dude is far from finished, dont think MLSE would waste their money on him otherwise
Not trying to sound like an ass, but really how often do you watch this guy?

Most people who do watch him on a regular basis would not be seeing what your saying right now.

MLSE wont waste money? lol ya okay.

Plus, the team would have to pay Benfica for him no? His name still advertise for benfica ( to the girls atleast ) It will never happen, and just be thankful that the transfer never took place.

You think just because JPA succeed, means Gomes will too? What about Denilson or Robert??? These are just names guys. Btw Gomes plays a much different style to JPA. JPA actually MOVES and knows how to dribble pass a player, Gomes is more like a statue who trips on his own feet when he gets the ball.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Admittedly not alot but all the same you cannot compare Cunningham to Gomes on any level.
Also i dont think MLSE would grab him to try to a) appeal to girls or b) to the portuguese community as support in those two communities isnt nearly as important as winning consistently.
Carver wants an effective striker, Mo cant risk pulling one in at big bucks that will flop as his contract is up at the end of the year

I just take most comments with a grain of salt, and im not trying to be insulting here, because of the old country biases that exists on this board, more often then not people overlook perfectly capable players because they play for a team they hate and not what they can contribute to the team in Canada.

Dudes still showing up on the National team at WC qualifiers for a top team in Europe, at 32, youre not crap when you do that.

TFC OZZ
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure what to think of this. Obviously until more evidence is made available I won't get excited or anything...

While I think this move has potential to be good, I'm also a little skeptical about it. From what I've been told be friends, he's not the most talented player that there is, and is losing his touch... :(

Hopefully if we do sign him, he proves me wrong.

jloome
12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
My understanding is that he doesn't play striker any more, he's a hole player now, and not hugely regarded anymore.

Plus, as a striker, he's a poacher. He doesn't create his own goals, but does finish when others create them -- same kind of player as Morientes, but without the aerial ability and not as good a finisher.

Either way, the more I think about it, the less I want either. Claudio Lopez anyone? We ideally need a striker who can create from nothing, who can beat defences with dribbling and speed, then bury the thing. While a good poacher would've finished a lot of goals last year that Cunty and Barrett both blew, they still wouldn't be a dominating force unless provided the ammunition.

Given his four or five assists last year and inability to thread a decent through-ball (most of our chances came from long balls firstly and crosses secondly) I'm not sure Guevara is going to partner well with a poacher.

We'd be better off paying though the nose for a clinical playmaking south American like Washington or Kleber than someone who needs service. And given both the importance of this purchase and the fact that MLSE has ample time and money to get it right, there are much better DP possibilities out there than Nuno Gomes.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I dunno, i know dude has a great track record and Ive got faith in Mo that this is the right choice IF he is a prospective DP

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
also i think to be discouraged id have to take a look at who the other prospects are

H Bomb
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Remember Angel was a bust at Villa. This league will bring out the best in guys who are slightly under the top level leagues. I don't like Gomes but i'm sure he'd be a very competent player

Yohan
12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
also i think to be discouraged id have to take a look at who the other prospects are
I'd like to wait and see who else is available too.

jloome
12-01-2008, 07:49 PM
THe guy is a single-digit scorer over the last decade. He had an exceptional 2005-06 campaign, which skews the numbers. But these kind of stats have "poacher' written all over them.

I'm sorry, but great strikers score in the double-digits regardless of the level they're playing at. When you combine it with his record plummeting to a goal every five games during his two years at Fiorentina, this is not a guy you can expect to score in bunches, even at MLS level. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 10 for us, which is an improvement. But if we're spending DP money on a top player, I want someone who might lead the league in scoring. Nuno Gomes is not that guy.

2002-2003 27 9 0 0 – 5 5 32 14
2003-04 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Liga_2003-04) 21 7 2 0 – 4 5 27 12
2004-05 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Liga_2004-05) 23 7 5 2 – 6 3 34 12
2005-06 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Liga_2005-06) 29 15 2 1 – 8 0 39 16
2006-07 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Liga_2006-07) 24 6 3 3 – 4 4 31 13
2007-08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Liga_2007-08) 25 7

H Bomb
12-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Barrett scored, what, 9 goals this year in the league? Nuno Gomes is better than Chad Barrett....and I like Chad Barrett

Fiin
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I am mind boggled here... so people are all giddy over possibly getting Kenny Cooper as a DP.. but think we should pass on Nuno Gomes... seriously... even at his age.. Gomes is twice the player Cooper could hope to be..

Its not Cooper either.. I do think hes a solid player (just not DP) but lets get things in perspective here..

OneLoveOneEric
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I am mind boggled here... so people are all giddy over possibly getting Kenny Cooper as a DP.. but think we should pass on Nuno Gomes... seriously... even at his age.. Gomes is twice the player Cooper could hope to be..

Its not Cooper either.. I do think hes a solid player (just not DP) but lets get things in perspective here..

Finally a voice of reason.

BuSaPuNk
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Either way either he's too old or washed up and a poacher, or the guy is too young and not experienced enough or shown enough for a DP contract. You have to take a risk at any point. Just have to make a calculated risk. Gomes is a goal scorer....plain and simple. He needs service just as any good striker needs. We are not going to be getting someone who can do everything on there own at what everyone wants (ie young, compitient on the pitch, pure world class talent) not going to happen. We need someone to put the ball in the back of the net....I don't care if it was Gomes, Rooney, or player to be named later. We need a striker plain and simple.

DigzTFC!
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree I "want" a better DP like an Henry...but we still have that nagging issue of playing on turf and not being a major american city. I think we will get "B" list DPs until the TFC & MLS brand are more widely recognized. But that said, we can get B level guys to come in for less than DP salaries.

Kluivert is a free agent, 500K might be enticing to him....Diego Tristan is playing for West Ham reserves....plenty of known name players who need clubs.

Not sold on Gomes, but its a good starting point as far as DPs go

Fiin
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree I "want" a better DP like an Henry...but we still have that nagging issue of playing on turf and not being a major american city. I think we will get "B" list DPs until the TFC & MLS brand are more widely recognized. But that said, we can get B level guys to come in for less than DP salaries.

Kluivert is a free agent, 500K might be enticing to him....Diego Tristan is playing for West Ham reserves....plenty of known name players who need clubs.

Tristan isnt DP quality imo, but Kluivert is hinging on it.. hes still a good player with a reconised name...

Jeff s
12-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Admittedly not alot but all the same you cannot compare Cunningham to Gomes on any level.
Also i dont think MLSE would grab him to try to a) appeal to girls or b) to the portuguese community as support in those two communities isnt nearly as important as winning consistently.
Carver wants an effective striker, Mo cant risk pulling one in at big bucks that will flop as his contract is up at the end of the year

I just take most comments with a grain of salt, and im not trying to be insulting here, because of the old country biases that exists on this board, more often then not people overlook perfectly capable players because they play for a team they hate and not what they can contribute to the team in Canada.

Dudes still showing up on the National team at WC qualifiers for a top team in Europe, at 32, youre not crap when you do that.

Just because they show interest, doesn't mean there gonna be right. Look how Robert turned out (another Benfica flop, and another player who I said will flop here too)

Like I said, I dont go by which team he plays for, I could care less. Im just stating facts. I have a brother whos a Benfica fan and even he cant stand him if that helps.

Hes playing for Portugal, but err have you seen the Portuguese strikers? Portugal literally doesn't have one decent striker. All of them struggle, if at all hit 10 goals a season (btw Gomes only got double digit goals once in the last 4 seasons, key striker eh?) Portugal are so desperate that there thinking of again converting a Brazilian striker thats currently playing for Sporting, simply cause we have no other option.

Gomes style of play doesn't help aswell. He really is a poacher. He gets subbed off practically every game cause you never notice him on the field, and when you do notice him, its not for good reasons trust me. This guy never opens himself up for runs or space, he just stands in the middle and hope something happens. And this if for Benfica may I add, hes not gonna get the same support at TFC, so i really can't imagine how bad hes gonna be here.

King Tut
12-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Does Nuno Gomes meet King Tut's expectation as a world class DP? :p

Yeah he's up there..:p
Not a Crespo or a Rivaldo, but he'd be the best striker in this league EASILY! :)

jloome
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Where on Earth is YOUR perspective? Regardless of what you think of MLS, it is generally regard as being equivalent to the lower end of the Coca Cola Championship, and Kenny Cooper is a 15-goal-plus per season scorer.

Nuno Gomes has spent nearly his entire career in the Portugese league, a league as imbalanced by a handful of top teams and as generally proficient as the Scottish Premier League and has only reached that target ONCE.

Cardiff City just offered $3.5M for Cooper and were rejected because it's too low a valuation. Do you really think anyone in their right mind would offer that for Gomes, a guy at the end of his career?

I hate to break it to people, but in soccer, age DOES matter for some positions. Wingers and strikers slow down and become less productive in their 30s. Sure, there are exceptions. But to compare a kid who's being courted by Bundesliga teams for major millions with a potentially past it, forward lying roleplayer and then assume the latter is better based on pedigree doesn't make any sense.

So there's no statistical validity to what you're saying and in common -sense terms, not much either. If the assumption is that because he plays for a world-famous team or a better-ranked nation that he must automatically be better, that's just ridiculous.

jloome
12-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Either way either he's too old or washed up and a poacher, or the guy is too young and not experienced enough or shown enough for a DP contract. You have to take a risk at any point. Just have to make a calculated risk. Gomes is a goal scorer....plain and simple. He needs service just as any good striker needs. We are not going to be getting someone who can do everything on there own at what everyone wants (ie young, compitient on the pitch, pure world class talent) not going to happen. We need someone to put the ball in the back of the net....I don't care if it was Gomes, Rooney, or player to be named later. We need a striker plain and simple.

That's part of the issue here: Gomes isn't a big goal scorer. He's only had one double-digit season in his entire career and typically averages seven or eight goals per season. While that may compliment Barrett nicely (particularly because he's also a good setup man), it isn't going to solve our goalscoring woes.

BuSaPuNk
12-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Even if him and Barrett played together that would be great to me. We don't need someone who is going to score all the goals. We need a team guy. A guy that can come in here and score 10-15 goals and help out his striking partner bag another 10-15. Goal scoring over all is not really a major problem with this team. It's not relying on one guy to do it.

Nuvinho
12-01-2008, 08:22 PM
I am waiting to see what Shaughno has to say.....he said he has some rumours with sources, which he'll post in the next few days.

dupont
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
please be true! for some reason i already just started assuming we wont be getting a DP for next season. i hope i am wrong!
(damn these rumours... im setting myself up for disappointment)

Moe911
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuno_Gomes#Career

hmmmm i wonder who did that? :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I wouldn’t be disappointed if the DP turned out to be Gomes, but personally I’d like the team to go in for a stronger more physical player, more of a power forward type. Admittedly, Gomes isn’t super prolific, but just imagine what 8 more goals would have meant to TFC in 2008.

flatpicker
12-01-2008, 08:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuno_Gomes#Career

hmmmm i wonder who did that? :D

hahahaaa.... ok... stop messing with WIKI
don't you know it's the most dependable source of information on the web!!??

Fiin
12-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Where on Earth is YOUR perspective? Regardless of what you think of MLS, it is generally regard as being equivalent to the lower end of the Coca Cola Championship, and Kenny Cooper is a 15-goal-plus per season scorer.

Nuno Gomes has spent nearly his entire career in the Portugese league, a league as imbalanced by a handful of top teams and as generally proficient as the Scottish Premier League and has only reached that target ONCE.

Cardiff City just offered $3.5M for Cooper and were rejected because it's too low a valuation. Do you really think anyone in their right mind would offer that for Gomes, a guy at the end of his career?

I hate to break it to people, but in soccer, age DOES matter for some positions. Wingers and strikers slow down and become less productive in their 30s. Sure, there are exceptions. But to compare a kid who's being courted by Bundesliga teams for major millions with a potentially past it, forward lying roleplayer and then assume the latter is better based on pedigree doesn't make any sense.

So there's no statistical validity to what you're saying and in common -sense terms, not much either. If the assumption is that because he plays for a world-famous team or a better-ranked nation that he must automatically be better, that's just ridiculous.

Naw, my heads just not MLS asses cause our teams in the league. MLS values their players way way to incredibly high. The last number that was being courted that MLS was looking for Landy was 15-20 million.. seriously.. so even saying that Cooper is 3/4 the player Landycakes is.. hes a 10-15 million dollar transfer? I got a nice peice of land in Florida..

WE value our league around bottom of Coca Cola.. honestly, I dont think its even that high.. I would say top end League 1.
Sheffield Utd is about to come into some large money.. think the target on their list is 10 million to Kenny Cooper?

Behrami signed at West Ham for 5 million quid.. so in abouts 10 million.. you honestly think Cooper is as good or better then Behrami?

Or you can be like Landy cakes.. the leagues best striker.. we seen how well the Bundesliga went for him. Only reason hes even getting this tryout now is he is tight with the coach, and at best he will probably get a weak contract, play on the reserves most of the time unless someones injured.. and be back in 3 yrs.

5 million is what was paid for Mo Edu.. so your going to tell me Mo Edu is a better player then Nuno Gomes? Cause if you asked me which I would take..

Again, I am not attacking Cooper, I do think hes a good player, but hes not on the same level as Nuno Gomes.

And from everything I have seen MLS wanted to do either deal (Rosenburgh at 3 million or Cardiff at 4) but the Hunts turned it down.. so they think their guy is undervalued but 2 teams and the MLS seemed to think it was a fair transfer...

And lastly for the night, I will "hate to break it to you" .. the guy who won league MVP.. Scheletto.. is a 35 year old.. 3 yrs N.Gs senior.. so that kinda knocks the age argument out..

Benficachop20
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
k guys let me tell u about Gomes. He's a 6-7 goals a season player for Benfica. He likes to miss a lot of easy chances. His first touch can be frustrating, he's a pretty decent passer of the ball, i'll give him that. For a striker he hardly shoots, no jokes, he would go through quite a few games where he would be in good positions but won't shoot except try to look for an impossible pass, and even then he doesn't really have that hard of a shot, sometimes it just seems like he's passing it to the goalkeeper lol. Frustrating for me to watch him for Benfica, do i want to put up with him more with TFC?

His contract doesn't end this season, so unless MLSE are willing to pay 3-4 million for him first then i don't think this will happen.

Captain Croatia
12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I hope the rumours are true, but i dont see why he would want to come here?

Would be awesome for TFC, i dont mind some diving either if it goes our way.

Hitcho
12-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Regardless of past pedigree or future potential, how well a player will do as a DP for TFC comes down to attitude. Robert/Ruiz stank because they didn't give a shit. Gomes and anyone else will too if their heart is not in it. So if we get a DP, I hope Mo/JC have a big eye on attitude as well as talent/potential.

Nuvinho
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I hope the rumours are true, but i dont see why he would want to come here?

Would be awesome for TFC, i dont mind some diving either if it goes our way.

With the refs we have in MLS, it won't be diving. GBS loves the refs in the league, so will Gomes.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Just because they show interest, doesn't mean there gonna be right. Look how Robert turned out (another Benfica flop, and another player who I said will flop here too)

Like I said, I dont go by which team he plays for, I could care less. Im just stating facts. I have a brother whos a Benfica fan and even he cant stand him if that helps.

Hes playing for Portugal, but err have you seen the Portuguese strikers? Portugal literally doesn't have one decent striker. All of them struggle, if at all hit 10 goals a season (btw Gomes only got double digit goals once in the last 4 seasons, key striker eh?) Portugal are so desperate that there thinking of again converting a Brazilian striker thats currently playing for Sporting, simply cause we have no other option.

Gomes style of play doesn't help aswell. He really is a poacher. He gets subbed off practically every game cause you never notice him on the field, and when you do notice him, its not for good reasons trust me. This guy never opens himself up for runs or space, he just stands in the middle and hope something happens. And this if for Benfica may I add, hes not gonna get the same support at TFC, so i really can't imagine how bad hes gonna be here.

im not saying that MLSE/the MLS is perfect as far as player choice is concerned, i just believe that Mo/MLSE is pretty serious about who they pick and wouldnt grab just anyone (ie Denilson) just to satiate the demand, because its more than a demand, its a need.

Take a look at JPAs stats, really not that impressive while he was at Villa, worse, in fact than Gomes

I do agree he wont have the support that Benfica has.
Im just not ready to write the dude off yet

LucaGol
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
I have absolutely no problem with Nuno Gomes as DP for a few reasons:

1. Prolific goal poacher, but still has decent ability with the football

2. Only 32

3. Not as big an ego as other DPs in the league

One thing to remember, Nuno Gomes is not a force unto himself ... he needs service like any pure poacher.

We need to find another creative player to compliment Amado Guevara to meet these needs, otherwise signing Gomes will be a waste of dollars.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Regardless of past pedigree or future potential, how well a player will do as a DP for TFC comes down to attitude. Robert/Ruiz stank because they didn't give a shit. Gomes and anyone else will too if their heart is not in it. So if we get a DP, I hope Mo/JC have a big eye on attitude as well as talent/potential.

thats pretty much the jist of it, i believe that Mo/Carver will make the right choice and wont just sign anybody,

DigzTFC!
12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Tristan isnt DP quality imo, but Kluivert is hinging on it.. hes still a good player with a reconised name...

I think in a round about way you got my point. They aren't DP quality and we wouldn't have to pay DP type money. We have $1 Million in allocation. 500K is not really DP money in our situation. Although, I did not express that clearly

Fiin
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I think in a round about way you got my point. They aren't DP quality and we wouldn't have to pay DP type money. We have $1 Million in allocation. 500K is not really DP money in our situation. Although, I did not express that clearly

Yep, I totally agree with you there. I think Kluivert might still look for DP money though. Tristan I imagine would be happy to just play and get outta West Ham.

arbogast
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Finally a voice of reason.

Voice of reason? how about this:

He's only scored 9 or more league goals ONCE in the last 5 years in a League that is not even considered a top 5 league in Europe.

NO THANKS.

Fiin
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Voice of reason? how about this:

He's only scored 9 or more league goals ONCE in the last 5 years in a League that is not even considered a top 5 league in Europe.

NO THANKS.

How about this:

Dichio has scored 11 goals in 2 yrs in a league that doesnt even come close to the Portugese league. Yet we revere him..

YOUR WELCOME.

JDG
12-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I gave up my tickets for Benfica because I didn't want my cash going into the pockets of any of the players the Portugeuse NT that played in the last World Cup.
This is going to prove to be quite the dilema if he's signed :D

profit89
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
DeRo and Gomes up front.. MLS Cup 2009 here we come !

J .
12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Fiin, Dichio is a legend not because he is a prolific goal scorer, but because he scored the first goal in our history and brought the fans our first hero.

Cooper and Landycakes have initial values placed on them because of their age, NT status and potential upside. Dempsey playing in Fulham? I could see Cooper on a similar team in a few years.

Gomes is on the downswing. He could get 10 in MLS. Sign him up for 2 years until Ibbe is ready I suppose.

Roogsy
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah...I'm not buying the whole Dichio reference.

First...Dichio's job isn't to score as much as it is to hold the ball up and create opportunities! How many times are we going to have to talk about the same point?

Also...how many games has Dichio taken to score those 11 goals?

And what is our record without him?

And what effect does he have on the pitch?

THAT is why Dichio is a legend.

flatpicker
12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
the way I look at it is...
Everything people have discussed in this thread is already known to Carver and Johnston.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those two know more about the game and its players than any of us.
If they sign a player, it's because they think it's a good idea.
So I'm not concerned... but I won't hide my frustration if a player stinks on the pitch...

...because that's when are opinions matter most.

Hitcho
12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Dichio is a legend because:

1. first goal
2. first red card
3. THAT last minute goal at the of the first season

He became legend after our first season, but not because of being a prolific goal scorer. Dichio's TFC magic runs far, far deeper than that.

ccopela
12-01-2008, 11:53 PM

1. first goal
2. first red card

He became legend after our first season, but not because of being a prolific goal scorer. Dichio's TFC magic runs far, far deeper than that.

He is also the leading scorer in our brief history.

Bobo
12-02-2008, 12:07 AM

Not sold on Gomes, but its a good starting point as far as DPs go

Got to add Cristiano Lucarelli to the list, playing in Serie B with Parma. He's class and probably more useful than Nuno Gomes at this point, who has been terrible for Benfica over the last two or three seasons. Definitely would be an upgrade still though.

SLBuu
12-02-2008, 12:15 AM
JPA actually MOVES and knows how to dribble pass a player, Gomes is more like a statue who trips on his own feet when he gets the ball.

WOW!

How has he ever scored a goal? Your analysis is so complete and thorough, i cant even believe they would consider signing this player after such a profound and obviously true statement.

SLBuu
12-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Here is what you can expect from Gomes. These are his goals from THIS year. Unfortunately for some, no, he does not trip over himself.

3 goals to his tally this year.

Gomes makes it 1-1 against Rio Ave (http://videos.sapo.pt/9o1FsC5zdFapUGVSmVCv)

Gomes makes it 1-0 against P. Ferreira (http://videos.sapo.pt/08nUKDDL0GfS7G9VC50j)

Gomes makes it 2-0 against Napoli, Uefa Cup (http://videos.sapo.pt/hMMgNNGzEnYupnn71FNy)

I personally think Gomes will be good for the quick one touch shots that I believe we are missing. At so many times during the past season have we been lacking that one touch ability from any of our forwards. Nuno Gomes will be that guy. A prolific goal scorer he is not but can he put the ball in the back of the net here? Only if he gives a shit! like we've seen with others on our team.

billyfly
12-02-2008, 12:58 AM
The only goal I remember Gomes scoring was to make it 3-2 Portugal after England was up 2-0 early in the 1st half of that game in Euro 98.

My other memories are of him missing glorious opportunities like that time at WC 2002 against South Korea.

Shakes McQueen
12-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I'd welcome him if he comes. I'm also not holding my breath.

- Scott

Fiin
12-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Yeah...I'm not buying the whole Dichio reference.

First...Dichio's job isn't to score as much as it is to hold the ball up and create opportunities! How many times are we going to have to talk about the same point?

Also...how many games has Dichio taken to score those 11 goals?

And what is our record without him?

And what effect does he have on the pitch?

THAT is why Dichio is a legend.

First off, I am not trying to sell the Dichio reference... its a mild comparison. I know why hes a legend, I dont need a history lesson, I have been to every game too.

Danny does alot the same thing Gomes does regularly. You dont think Gomes would have done the same in his shoes in 2 years?

As for your goals to games.. DD with TFC: 1 in 4... N.G with Benfica: 1 in 3, in a vastly better league.

Record without him: N/A, same as our record without Nuno Gomes.

Effect on pitch: Alot the same I imagine N.G would have. Different style but prolbably alot the same effect.

This isnt a front to Danny, dont get all yer britches ina knot. Its was a point that Goals/Games ratio for sake of signing a DP isnt the best thing to look at because you dont need to be a 1:1 to be an effective force.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 02:18 AM

1. first goal
2. first red card

Yah.. I was there as well :)

Fiin
12-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Fiin, Dichio is a legend not because he is a prolific goal scorer, but because he scored the first goal in our history and brought the fans our first hero.

Cooper and Landycakes have initial values placed on them because of their age, NT status and potential upside. Dempsey playing in Fulham? I could see Cooper on a similar team in a few years.

Gomes is on the downswing. He could get 10 in MLS. Sign him up for 2 years until Ibbe is ready I suppose.

See: reply to Roogsy lol.

And heres the thing.. Cooper had a value placed on him, it was 3.5 million.. not more like people are saying.. when MLS, and the 2 teams say its 3.5, and just Hunt disagrees.. its 3.5.

I dunno is N.G is worth 10 either personally, but hes worth more then either of the 2 mentioned IMO.

I can see Cooper on a team like Fulham, maybe even a Boro, in a few years too. You think Fulham would turn down Gomes tomorrow though? I dont know why people think I am saying different, I have been crystal clear but will say it again, I think hes a good player. Hes just not as good and chances are wont be as agood as Nuno Gomes.

I agree, sign him for 2 yrs, probably the good years hes got left in him and go from there, in 2 yrs someone alot better will probably be available, and alot could change on the way MLS sogns players, incl the CBA.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 02:27 AM
WOW!

How has he ever scored a goal? Your analysis is so complete and thorough, i cant even believe they would consider signing this player after such a profound and obviously true statement.

No kidding eh.. avging 1 goals in 3 games for Benfica and 1 in 2.5 or less for Portugal. what a POS statue!

Jeff s
12-02-2008, 03:18 AM
please stop bringing up stats, they dont tell the whole story. Are you taking up stats from 2003? come on man, a lot of things changed. It still doesn't hide the fact this guy has only hit double digits once since returning Benfica, and this guy is playing with/ or has played with players like Simao, Reyes, Aimar etc. Thats all around support behind you. And you cant score 10? ya sounds like a catch. Please dont make me bring up him missing more tap ins than goals goals again. Its seriously that bad.

Heck his misses were so bad, there were 5 min compilations planted all over youtube at one point, dedicating his all his easy misses. (they've all been removed due to copyrights I believe)

If tfc wants a striker, get one that, like mentioned earlier, is able to create chances for himself. One that moves, thats actually noticeable in the field and can actually finish. If the striker is not a clinical finisher, his activity around the field will more than likely set up goals at least. Not if you stand between 2 CB's all game.

jloome
12-02-2008, 03:47 AM
How about this:

Dichio has scored 11 goals in 2 yrs in a league that doesnt even come close to the Portugese league. Yet we revere him..

YOUR WELCOME.

Dude, both this and your Schellotto case are strawman arguments; they deflect from, instead of addressing, the point at hand. I argued that age, with some exceptions, does matter to forwards and you point out Schellotto is 35....except that he's a seven-goal midfielder whose value was as a setup man. So it's irrelevant.

The Dichio point is just as invalid. Danny Dichio was a target forward in England; the guy hardly ever even had a shot on net. And the CCC is EASILY the match of the Portugese league, even if it isn't the match of Portugal's top few teams. Plus, what does 'revering' Dichio have to do with whether Nuno Gomes would be a good stiker for us? If we revered Dichio for the NUMBER of goals he scores, we wouldn't be dying for a DP .... who can score goals.

As to whether MLS transfers are inflated, they frequently are. But so are transfers in EVERY professional sport. Again, what does that have to do with Cardiff (by your own admission MLS is league one, so Cardiff is higher than MLS) offering $3.5 million for Cooper (and Eintracht apparently considering upping the ante to $8 million), money they would never offer Nuno Gomes?

Dude, I don't hate Nuno Gomes. There's just nothing statistical or logically valid in the argument that he's "way better" or "twice the player", or such nonsense.

Benficachop20
12-02-2008, 04:01 AM
btw i have read nothing in portuguese papers about this and like i said i doubt MLSE will pay 3-4 million for him, for mls mainly go for players that are free.

Cashcleaner
12-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Not the sort of signing rumour that would blow me away if true. Good player but getting up there in years and when you combine that with an artificial turf - it's not so great.

Someone younger with a good five years left in him, please.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 08:25 AM
please stop bringing up stats, they dont tell the whole story. Are you taking up stats from 2003? come on man, a lot of things changed. It still doesn't hide the fact this guy has only hit double digits once since returning Benfica, and this guy is playing with/ or has played with players like Simao, Reyes, Aimar etc. Thats all around support behind you. And you cant score 10? ya sounds like a catch. Please dont make me bring up him missing more tap ins than goals goals again. Its seriously that bad.

Heck his misses were so bad, there were 5 min compilations planted all over youtube at one point, dedicating his all his easy misses. (they've all been removed due to copyrights I believe)

If tfc wants a striker, get one that, like mentioned earlier, is able to create chances for himself. One that moves, thats actually noticeable in the field and can actually finish. If the striker is not a clinical finisher, his activity around the field will more than likely set up goals at least. Not if you stand between 2 CB's all game.

1. So...stop bringing up stats because they don't support your point? :D Stats do play a factor (the question is how much) and if anything, looking at the goals to games (which actually means goals to appearances) ratio always undervalues a player.

That's because it assumes the player in question always plays the full90 minutes and we know that's not always true: he can subbed off in the 60th minute or come on in the last 10 and it counts as an appearance nonetheless.

The stats of goals to appearances is flawed, but only because it undervalues a player. What we need to do is find some stats on the # of minutes he played and calculate the ratio from that.

2. So you're saying that we should believe you on his alledged terrible misses, but the evidence has been somehow lost? Very convenient! :rolleyes:

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Not the sort of signing rumour that would blow me away if true. Good player but getting up there in years and when you combine that with an artificial turf - it's not so great.

Ideally yes (I would prefer that as well), but we need someone to score goals NOW.

There are some whose standards are way too high: sometimes you get the impression that no other than the absolute best player in the world would do. I'm not saying that's necessarily what you're arguing here, just that we shouldn't be overly selective: it's difficult enough as it is attracting good talent to MLS.

Shaughno
12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
How about older? I'd much rather prefer Larsson over Gomes. ;)

Everton are lining up a shock move for 37-year-old striker Henrik Larsson, who is a free agent after ending the Swedish season at Helsingborg. (Various)

arbogast
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
How about this:

YOUR WELCOME.

Exactly he has a similar strike rate and comes a hell of a lot cheaper than Gomes. Thanks: You just proved my point and stregnthend my argument.

cuecas_red
12-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I watch Benfica last night and Gomes did not play, could have Benfica rested him b/c of negotiations :eek:....

Pigfynn
12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
You know, I was hoping for a creative striker of any kind. Someone who could create more of their own chances.

Gomes would be good, but I'm from the camp of: get a guy from any league who WILL score 15+ goals a year. I don't need former Champions League this or National Team star that.

Some one like Kevin Phillips or JPA would be more than fine.

rocker
12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
1) Dichio scored in 21% of his games before TFC at a lower level than Gomes.

2) Gomes scored in 44% of his games at a higher level than Dichio

3) Dichio scored in 27.5% of his games in MLS (11 goals), for an increase of 6.5%

4) If we assume at minimum that Gomes will score at his typical rate + 6.5% more goals in MLS (Dichio's rate), then we would have had 20 goals in 40 games, 9 more goals than Dichio produced.

Now, that's taking Dichio's rate of increase. Gomes played at a higher level than Dichio, so he should find it a bit easier in MLS...
so you could be looking at maybe 22-23 goals over 40 games?
That's double Dichio's production, and at just over double Dichio's price against the cap.. Dich makes about 170K, DP would make 415K.

That's not quite "Juan Pablo Angel territory" but if we had those goals we'd be in the playoffs and maybe in the MLS Cup final.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
1) Dichio scored in 21% of his games before TFC at a lower level than Gomes.

2) Gomes scored in 44% of his games at a higher level than Dichio

3) Dichio scored in 27.5% of his games in MLS (11 goals), for an increase of 6.5%

4) If we assume at minimum that Gomes will score at his typical rate + 6.5% more goals in MLS (Dichio's rate), then we would have had 20 goals in 40 games, 9 more goals than Dichio produced.

Now, that's taking Dichio's rate of increase. Gomes played at a higher level than Dichio, so he should find it a bit easier in MLS...
so you could be looking at maybe 22-23 goals over 40 games?
That's double Dichio's production, and at just over double Dichio's price against the cap.. Dich makes about 170K, DP would make 415K.

That's not quite "Juan Pablo Angel territory" but if we had those goals we'd be in the playoffs and maybe in the MLS Cup final.

Interesting analysis! But might it not be a bit more accurate to focus, say, on Gomes's and Dichio's (before joining TFC for Dichio) last three years? I still think he'd be a good player but what might those numbers say?

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Exactly he has a similar strike rate and comes a hell of a lot cheaper than Gomes. Thanks: You just proved my point and stregnthend my argument.

I think you missed the point about the MLS being piss poor. Fuck it though arguing on this message board is redundant.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Cash he's 32! You don't think a world class player can play in this league until 37??? I disagree with you.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Dude, both this and your Schellotto case are strawman arguments; they deflect from, instead of addressing, the point at hand. I argued that age, with some exceptions, does matter to forwards and you point out Schellotto is 35....except that he's a seven-goal midfielder whose value was as a setup man. So it's irrelevant.

The Dichio point is just as invalid. Danny Dichio was a target forward in England; the guy hardly ever even had a shot on net. And the CCC is EASILY the match of the Portugese league, even if it isn't the match of Portugal's top few teams. Plus, what does 'revering' Dichio have to do with whether Nuno Gomes would be a good stiker for us? If we revered Dichio for the NUMBER of goals he scores, we wouldn't be dying for a DP .... who can score goals.

As to whether MLS transfers are inflated, they frequently are. But so are transfers in EVERY professional sport. Again, what does that have to do with Cardiff (by your own admission MLS is league one, so Cardiff is higher than MLS) offering $3.5 million for Cooper (and Eintracht apparently considering upping the ante to $8 million), money they would never offer Nuno Gomes?

Dude, I don't hate Nuno Gomes. There's just nothing statistical or logically valid in the argument that he's "way better" or "twice the player", or such nonsense.

LOL I'm sorry pal my team Wolves is in CCC but I can honestly say you're talking through your ass if you think its as good as the Portuguese Liga. I would like to see evidence that its easily a match.

Hitcho
12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Not to turn this into a Larsson thread (already been done), but just as an example I;d take him over Gomes because Henrik is a player that you know would bust a gut to do well for whoever he isgns for. he's just that professional and dedicated. Gomes I don't believe would turn up with anywhere near the same kind of attitude. He'd pull a Robert most likely and spend the whole game throwing his arms in the air and complaining about "shit service" etc. We don;t need that. We need someone who will graft and toil and use their skill and experience to further the team cause, especially from a DP. If the DP is going to be a striker, then the product of that toil needs to be goals.

Bottom line is I cannot see Gomes coming here for various reasons, but even if he does I don' think he'd have the right approach and would therefore probably fail.

Derko
12-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Agreed, let's hope there is something to this!!

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM

Uhhhm, sure? So, in my indoor soccer league, I have a strike rate of 1 in 3.. and I would be cheaper then Gomes, so they should sign me for 1.5 million.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
LOL I'm sorry pal my team Wolves is in CCC but I can honestly say you're talking through your ass if you think its as good as the Portuguese Liga. I would like to see evidence that its easily a match.

Dude, obviously its on par.. didnt you know that Coca Cola has a slot in EUFA and Champions League next yr? :rolleyes:

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Ok, so APPARENTLY considering offerering it.. and how do you know they wouldnt offer it to Nuno Gomes given the chance? I dont really care what you think of Nuno Gomes to be honest man, I dont hate Cooper by any means either, hes a beast in the MLS.

If you seriously think that Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Preston are matches for Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, you have a vastly different view then me.

How is Schelleto a straw argument? I did bring age up, you did. And GBS is 3 yrs his elder, and won top honours over this super power Cooper who is 11 yrs his junior.

But to even compare the 2 is non sense.. 1 doesnt even start for the USA.. the other starts/started regualrly for a very good European side. (Portugal)

Shaughno
12-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Uhhhm, sure? So, in my indoor soccer league, I have a strike rate of 1 in 3.. and I would be cheaper then Gomes, so they should sign me for 1.5 million.

I have a strike rate of 10 goals, 4 assists in 8 games in the past 2 weeks. I'd sign for a humble $1m. ;)

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM

I bring up stats cause of how they were bombed at me until we seen that pretty much NG were better in every way. Have the cake and eat it too. And sadly, stats do tell stories, people with weak arguments just revert to saying dont bring them up when they cant prove otherwise.

And this isnt about getting a striker who can do this and that, this whole thing was about Gomes vs Cooper.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a strike rate of 10 goals, 4 assists in 8 games in the past 2 weeks. I'd sign for a humble $1m. ;)

I'll sign for 500k so I am not a DP. You for 1 million. We could have 1 helluva team next yr mate!

Fiin
12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
How about older? I'd much rather prefer Larsson over Gomes. ;)

I would love Larsson, es quality. But by standards in here, hes probably no Kenny Cooper.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 11:40 AM
lmfao.

Shaughno
12-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I would love Larsson, es quality. But by standards in here, hes probably no Kenny Cooper.

Oh course not. He's 37, that means he's too old to play...

arbogast
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM

NO you missed my point. My point is, if they want a guy that can net 6-9 goals /year they can get a serviceable MLS striker to that w/out having to pay big $$ to a guy like Gomes with the same strike rate. Then they can spend the money saved on a quality CB.

Jack
12-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Funny how easy it is to attribute the opinions of a few people to the whole forum.

I think Gomes would score some goals here but he's not exactly been prolific.

I think he'd be good, but I don't think he's a slam dunk, no-brainer for DP. I'd rather look around a bit more but keep him as one of the options.

Fiin
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
NO you missed my point. My point is, if they want a guy that can net 6-9 goals /year they can get a serviceable MLS striker to that w/out having to pay big $$ to a guy like Gomes with the same strike rate. Then they can spend the money saved on a quality CB.

Yah, I missed it then... cause I didnt see anything about saving on a striker for a CB in there.

This was more about Cooper vs Gomes for a DP. I would take a high quality CB over a striker right now too for DP.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Ok now you're making sense. A quality CB is definately needed.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Funny how easy it is to attribute the opinions of a few people to the whole forum.

I think Gomes would score some goals here but he's not exactly been prolific.

I think he'd be good, but I don't think he's a slam dunk, no-brainer for DP. I'd rather look around a bit more but keep him as one of the options.

Huckerby wasn't exactly prolific in England but managed to score 6 in 14 last season. I agree though we need to have a good look, its a big decision.

T.Reis
12-02-2008, 12:31 PM
CB as a DP would suck IMO.

This league is pretty quick, and a veteran CB who has lost a step and is demanding big wages could be a mistake.

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 12:35 PM
/\ It wouldn't have to be a veteran..

Strikers
12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
If we did sign Nuno Gomes, I think it would be great. He still can play at a high level in Europe and would be beneficial for Toronto. Just like some of the other players that were being discussed in the threads. I would take Del Piero or Gomes as our DP. Like I said they are both still playing at a high level and would be welcome here.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-02-2008, 12:55 PM
a CB DP would be amazing but is also never going to happen

King Tut
12-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Nobody comes anywhere near Kenny Gol. Kenny Cooper is the greatest player the world has ever seen. :D

Jack
12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Nobody comes anywhere near Kenny Gol. Kenny Cooper is the greatest player the world has ever seen. :D

Pele is not worthy to carry his jockstrap.

TFCREDNWHITE
12-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Kenny Cooper has shit turds that are more skillfull than Nuno Gomes ! :-)

King Tut
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree. Even Maradona is not worthy of being his coffee boy!

Kenny Cooper is the god of football.

Who's down to form a "Church of Kenny Cooper" soon? We just need to look for a place, lay down the foundation and hire some Kenny Cooper believers to run the place....:)

jloome
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok, so APPARENTLY considering offerering it.. and how do you know they wouldnt offer it to Nuno Gomes given the chance? I dont really care what you think of Nuno Gomes to be honest man, I dont hate Cooper by any means either, hes a beast in the MLS.

If you seriously think that Wolverhampton, Birmingham and Preston are matches for Porto, Benfica and Sporting Lisbon, you have a vastly different view then me.

How is Schelleto a straw argument? I did bring age up, you did. And GBS is 3 yrs his elder, and won top honours over this super power Cooper who is 11 yrs his junior.

But to even compare the 2 is non sense.. 1 doesnt even start for the USA.. the other starts/started regualrly for a very good European side. (Portugal)

1) "if you seriously think...." No, but I don't think most of the teams in the Scottish premiership can beat Celtic or Rangers. In other word, it's a specious comparison to say that having three overwhelmingly stronger teams makes your whole league better. In fact, if anything, it makes it easier on the guys playing for the good team.

2) Yes, but you didn't bring up his position or his goal production. He's a midfielder, not a striker, so it's a strawman argument. He's a setup man, not apure goal scorer (he had seven), so it's a strawman argument. His age has nothing to do with my point, which you're simply evading again.

3) Again, try addressing the point: if Nuno Gomes is so much more beneficial a player than Cooper, why aren't clubs lining up with millions to sign him?

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
1) "if you seriously think...." No, but I don't think most of the teams in the Scottish premiership can beat Celtic or Rangers. In other word, it's a specious comparison to say that having three overwhelmingly stronger teams makes your whole league better. In fact, if anything, it makes it easier on the guys playing for the good team.

2) Yes, but you didn't bring up his position or his goal production. He's a midfielder, not a striker, so it's a strawman argument. He's a setup man, not apure goal scorer (he had seven), so it's a strawman argument. His age has nothing to do with my point, which you're simply evading again.

3) Again, try addressing the point: if Nuno Gomes is so much more beneficial a player than Cooper, why aren't clubs lining up with millions to sign him?

Here's the real strawman

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/darryl_strawberry.jpg

Fiin
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Since my little ones a on a tear I am on ltd time atm, but I will answer #3 quickly. Because past fleeting rumours about us, there is nothing saying at
all that hes want/is going anywhere.

And 2 teams isnt really "clubs lining up for him". 2 wouldnt even get a new regester opened at Home Depot. :P

Cambridge_Red
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
JLoome

I thought you were comparing the Portuguese Liga... when did the SPL come into this?? Two VERY different leagues in terms of skill.

jloome
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
JLoome

I thought you were comparing the Portuguese Liga... when did the SPL come into this?? Two VERY different leagues in terms of skill.

Actually, two very similar leagues. Portugal is stronger, but only marginally, because both teams suffer from the same problem -- the gap between the top three or four teams in portugal (and the top two in Scotland) and the rest of the field is ENORMOUS.

As a reuslt, the best of the portugese and scottish leagues (which I did mention in my earlier post) may well fit into the middle or bottom of the prem. But the vast majority of teams in both leagues are no better -- and in most cases are worse -- than teams in the Championship, which is a much more balanced league.

So while it's an apples-oranges comparison, you can't definitively say the Portugese league as a whole is better than the CCC, because most of its teams probably couldn't compete in the CCC, even though its top handful would probably win it.

The whole portugal versus CCC argument is somewhat moot when it comes to Gomes versus Cooper anyway, because it's trumped by the fact that a Bundelisga team -- a league better than both portugal and the CCC -- is rumoured to be poneying up $8 million for Cooper. If someone can find me the suggestion that Gomes might still be valued in that region, I'll be rather surprised.

Again, I haven't seen a counter to the core argument: If both guys are going to score 15 goals in this league, why not take the younger one, who has both staying power and sell-on value?

Toronto_Bhoy
12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got two words for Mo!

Henrik Larsson!!!

Make it happen Mo! Bring the King of Kings to TO!

King Tut
12-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Henrik Larsson!!!

That would be awesome too. What about Jean-Claude Darcheville as a second choice?

Troll
12-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Actually, two very similar leagues. Portugal is stronger, but only marginally, because both teams suffer from the same problem -- the gap between the top three or four teams in portugal (and the top two in Scotland) and the rest of the field is ENORMOUS.

As a reuslt, the best of the portugese and scottish leagues (which I did mention in my earlier post) may well fit into the middle or bottom of the prem. But the vast majority of teams in both leagues are no better -- and in most cases are worse -- than teams in the Championship, which is a much more balanced league.

So while it's an apples-oranges comparison, you can't definitively say the Portugese league as a whole is better than the CCC, because most of its teams probably couldn't compete in the CCC, even though its top handful would probably win it.

I find this funny. It is clear you know nothing about the Portuguese league.

Troll
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Henrik Larsson!!!

This one makes me laugh too. He left Manchester-fucking-United, because he wanted to go back home to Sweden.... and you guys think he'll come to Canada? Why?

Jack
12-02-2008, 05:11 PM
This one makes me laugh too. He left Manchester-fucking-United, because he wanted to go back home to Sweden.... and you guys think he'll come to Canada? Why?
Because he's actually stated recently he'd like to try a new challenge.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4578756,00.html

Pigfynn
12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
After reading that I would be after him like crazy!

37 or not I don't care, the guy is pure class (ya, I said it!) and a great natural striker.

Mo do it....do it now!

OneLoveOneEric
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
^^^Rumors say Everton are going to make a play for Henke.
I can't imagine he'd turn them down for TFC.

Shaughno
12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
^^^Rumors say Everton are going to make a play for Henke.
I can't imagine he'd turn them down for TFC.

I never thought Becks would actually leave Real to come here either... ;)

OneLoveOneEric
12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
True!!

Pigfynn
12-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Even if it's one season it would be great. It would also send a message to others on the fence about coming here.

"TFC? sure, why not Henrik Larsson went there"

-future quote from Wayne Rooney

I kid, I kid.......or do I?

jloome
12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I find this funny. It is clear you know nothing about the Portuguese league.

Yeah, says every fan of the portugese league. A year ago, it was a celtic fan on here insisting that the Scottish Premiership is miles ahead of MLS.

I grew up in England and have followed football my whole life. I don't need a lesson on the fact that, occasioanlly, Boavista or Maritimo puts up a decent challenge, or Beira Mar or any other number of teams that OCCASIONALLY challenge. On that front, sure, they're ahead of Scotland (where I believe Aberdeen is the only other team to win in decades) but don't kid yourself: the money is at porto, benfica and sporting, and typically so is the talent.

Update: Oh, and I guess UEFA doesn't know what it's talking about, either, given that it ranks portugal all of two spots ahead of Scotland's league, and only six coefficient points http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficients#League_coefficient

Yeah, I'll go with the fan instead of the experts. That makes sense.

Benficachop20
12-02-2008, 06:36 PM
well like i said, Gomes is a 6-7 goals a season player for Benfica, now im not saying he wont do bad in the mls, but remember he's getting 6 goals a season despite having one of the best service in the league, while lets face it Toronto, still has a bit to go, most of those goals come against teams that usually finish near the bottom of the table. Perhaps he can do better here, but i wont get all that excited, he's been declining for years, only had one good season since his return to Benfica.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
well like i said, Gomes is a 6-7 goals a season player for Benfica, now im not saying he wont do bad in the mls, but remember he's getting 6 goals a season despite having one of the best service in the league, while lets face it Toronto, still has a bit to go, most of those goals come against teams that usually finish near the bottom of the table. Perhaps he can do better here, but i wont get all that excited, he's been declining for years, only had one good season since his return to Benfica.

But you can't only consider service, you also have to consider the quality of the defense facing the striker in question. The MLS does not have great defence, it is mostly an offensive league.

Shaughno
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I think he would do well as a more attacking mid to be honest. Don't expect him to be a prolific goal scorer, or even team leading at that (I see Barrett doing considerably better next year), but the attacking flair and mindset would be a nice benefit.

To be honest, he's good and I wouldn't mind if he's the best we can get... but I'd rather not settle for him. There are so many players around the world, but even in Europe that would come here for the right offer. I know it's easier said than done, but still there are some players that have been linked to the MLS that I think TFC should be pushing harder for, personally.

Benficachop20
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
But you can't only consider service, you also have to consider the quality of the defense facing the striker in question. The MLS does not have great defence, it is mostly an offensive league.

oh i know, thats why i said he probably won't do bad lol.

btw Wesley >>>> Gomes. He plays for Leixoes and he may leave this january to some middle east teams but i think we could attract him and he is a much better player imo.

Marco2K
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Wesley would be awesome. My dad told me someone bought him for 500 000. Come on TFC

jloome
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd take either, but neither as DP. Wesley seems to have hit his prime after years of not producing and is pumping them in, so he might be worth DP money. Either would be a great player here, though. Given that he's a journeyman (including a period in the K-League), I wonder if he's completely out of reach yet?

SLBuu
12-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Here is what you can expect from Gomes. These are his goals from THIS year. Unfortunately for some, no, he does not trip over himself.

3 goals to his tally this year.

Gomes makes it 1-1 against Rio Ave (http://videos.sapo.pt/9o1FsC5zdFapUGVSmVCv)

Gomes makes it 1-0 against P. Ferreira (http://videos.sapo.pt/08nUKDDL0GfS7G9VC50j)

Gomes makes it 2-0 against Napoli, Uefa Cup (http://videos.sapo.pt/hMMgNNGzEnYupnn71FNy)

For some perspective, his 2007/2008 Goal Tally, 7 Goals

Week 4, Makes it 3-0 vs Naval (http://videos.sapo.pt/Rf5vvQzi2Ey7jKQHmpLN)

Week 7, Makes it 1-1 vs U. Leiria (http://videos.sapo.pt/SLZeUWbqlIZ0Mr2HZZq5)

Week 7, Makes it 2-1 vs U. Leiria (http://videos.sapo.pt/QQ5QZ00EfcrukEQ3ZtrZ)

Week 10, Makes it 5-1 vs Boavista, (PK) (http://videos.sapo.pt/F8DTnJk6KH0mck0OEkfk)

Week 10, Makes it 6-1 vs Boavista (http://videos.sapo.pt/qcAlDs7jMjL1tD1Yu4O4)

Week 14, Makes it 3-0 vs E. Amadora (http://videos.sapo.pt/ttZBN3NLC7bBTjs3m7rb)

Week 30, Makes it 3-0 vs Setubal (http://videos.sapo.pt/GFJVR89dHBQNRZlZwqES)

I can go through some vids and post weekly highlights if people are interested in seeing them.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2008, 10:29 PM
For some perspective, his 2007/2008 Goal Tally, 7 Goals

Week 4, Makes it 3-0 vs Naval (http://videos.sapo.pt/Rf5vvQzi2Ey7jKQHmpLN)

Week 7, Makes it 1-1 vs U. Leiria (http://videos.sapo.pt/SLZeUWbqlIZ0Mr2HZZq5)

Week 7, Makes it 2-1 vs U. Leiria (http://videos.sapo.pt/QQ5QZ00EfcrukEQ3ZtrZ)

Week 10, Makes it 5-1 vs Boavista, (PK) (http://videos.sapo.pt/F8DTnJk6KH0mck0OEkfk)

Week 10, Makes it 6-1 vs Boavista (http://videos.sapo.pt/qcAlDs7jMjL1tD1Yu4O4)

Week 14, Makes it 3-0 vs E. Amadora (http://videos.sapo.pt/ttZBN3NLC7bBTjs3m7rb)

Week 30, Makes it 3-0 vs Setubal (http://videos.sapo.pt/GFJVR89dHBQNRZlZwqES)

I can go through some vids and post weekly highlights if people are interested in seeing them.

There's a nice combination of poacher , PK, headers and talent goals in there.

Troll
12-03-2008, 03:05 AM
I grew up in England and have followed football my whole life. I don't need a lesson on the fact that, occasioanlly, Boavista or Maritimo puts up a decent challenge, or Beira Mar or any other number of teams that OCCASIONALLY challenge. On that front, sure, they're ahead of Scotland (where I believe Aberdeen is the only other team to win in decades) but don't kid yourself: the money is at porto, benfica and sporting, and typically so is the talent.

Beira Mar occaissionally challenges? Since when? And don't kid yourself, there's plenty of talent across the league, where do you think the big three poach their players from? Sure some are home grown... but certainly not a large percentage.

Take this goal this past weekend vs. Benfica in extra time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KrQAvWJYvI

tfcmanu
12-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Look what I found...Looks like TFC Offered Nuno Gomes a contract in the summer & he turned the contract down, I thought I read this somewhere her it is.

Nuno Gomes and Hakan Sukur

I saw Larry Millson had a story on globesports.com that had Nuno Gomes turning down an offer from TFC. His name was floated around at the start of last season, but I hadn’t heard anything about him until now. I’m just glad Mo Johnston was trying to acquire him, because he would have been a good addition, and it shows the club is thinking big with this striker business.

There’s also talk of Hakan Sukur being linked with the club on the usector.ca and redpatchboys.ca forums. We’ll look into that and see if we can find out anything for you on that front.

http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.a...8/07/index.html (http://www.thescore.ca/blogs/footy/index.asp?name=footy/2008/07/index.html)

Still, it is troubling to see how many thirtysomethings TFC is chasing at the moment. The club has been linked to Nuno Gomes, Huckerby, former Premier League forward Paul Dickov and there's even beenv rumours that 2002 World Cup star winner Hakan Sukur could get a

http://blog.canoe.ca/thefull90/2008/07/14/ (http://blog.canoe.ca/thefull90/2008/07/14/)

Gomes rejects offer to join Toronto FCTFC attempted to sign Benfica striker Nuno Gomes 07/12/08

http://torontoseeker.com/item-2519818.htm (http://torontoseeker.com/item-2519818.htm)

Toronto FC's search for goal scoring went to Portugal as the Major League Soccer club made an attempt to sign Benfica striker Nuno Gomes.

But both sides of the negotiation that has taken place over the past month say there will be no deal.

Gomes, 32, scored seven goals in 25 league games for Benfica this past season and scored two more in 10 games in other competitions for the club.

One source said that Gomes rejected Toronto's offer on Saturday

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ory/Technology/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080712.wspt-tfc12/BNStory/Technology/)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2008, 01:13 PM
yep, apparently it was for under DP money or something.
dunno if itll make a difference now

Cambridge_Red
12-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah I remember that... It was when they were after Hucks, Dickov etc. They weren't putting enough money on the table.

Zeke_Jones
12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd be thrilled to see a name like Nuno Gomes come to TFC, id be thrilled to see anybody other than Ruiz or another J Smith come to TFC.

Marco2K
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry guys but nuno gomes is not coming to toronto.

My dad just told me that Benfica is offering him a long term position with the club. they did the same with RUI COSTA.
For some reason Gomes is a Idol back in portugal.

Another Dead rumour!

Lucky Strike
12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry guys but nuno gomes is not coming to toronto.

My dad just told me that Benfica is offering him a long term position with the club. they did the same with RUI COSTA.
For some reason Gomes is a Idol back in portugal.

Another Dead rumour!

And my friend's father knows a cousin twice removed, put back once, and removed another three times who tells me that Nuno Gomes will play for free. Another rumour resurrected!

Just kidding buddy! :D

Marco2K
12-03-2008, 06:30 PM
And my friend's father knows a cousin twice removed, put back once, and removed another three times who tells me that Nuno Gomes will play for free. Another rumour resurrected!

Just kidding buddy! :D

HA HA HA ASS!

My dad is a huge benfica fan and watches RTP and reads benfica shit all day.

It is said he is being offered a job for after his playing days.

Now you can tell your dads brothers cousins friend to suck it!!!!:eek:

DigzTFC!
12-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Interesting to note the agency TFC was dealing with originally for the first negotiations with Nuno Gomes:

http://www.cdssoccer.com/mission.html

In one of the pictures the President (Carlos De Sousa a one man show really) is posing with Joao Pinto and a few other Portuguese players.

I tried to see which other players he represented but its a members only access. Does anyone have access to this site? or can get access? We might have found Barry Maclean part deux.