PDA

View Full Version : Kids at BMO?

Pookie
12-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I was reading in another thread about how a supporter felt down because he had a family sitting next to him for the upcoming season. I gather this limited the things he wanted to say.

As a father and fan, who has brought my 7 year old and 4 year old to the game, I can say that many fans don't feel the same limitations in what they yell.

I still haven't found the right definition to explain to my little girl what a "f-ing douchebag" is. This was the new name for the Ref which a leather lunged fellow felt was appropriate to yell out repeatly though the last home game of the season. Despite having a group of kids right in front of him. We were a few rows down from that.

At hockey games, when this sort of thing is going on around me I will say something. Essentially, wondering what kind of idiot thinks it's ok to swear repeatedly in front of kids. I find it useless to do this at BMO as whole sections are chanting things like "F' the CSA" or "..... I can't hear a f'ing thing."

That said, I'm not complaining or asking for a zero tolerance policy. I know it going in. I use it as an opportunity to highlight to my kids that I don't want them to act that way and for them to have more respect for themselves and those around them.

When I have my kids with me, I won't ask you to sit down during games. I won't ask you to be quiet or take down your flag. That's fun stuff. Go nuts. I'll be waving mine right next to you.

But wouldn't it be nice if some people realized that buying a ticket and beer didn't necessarily mean that you have to be an arse? Particularly the few that think throwing stuff onto the pitch is a great idea.

TFC need youth to go to games. They need them to embrace the club and translate soccer's high participation rates into a sustainable following.

A little mutual respect would go a long ways towards making that happen.

billyfly
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Oh I see this thread going the way of supporters section vs everyone else. Let it begin!

Cambridge_Red
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Throwing shit = Bad

Being loud and offensive = supporters section

Fiin
12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Yep, I agree Cambridge. Tossing stuff, always bad. If this guys in a SS with his kids.. sorry but you know what yer in for.

Pookie
12-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Oh I see this thread going the way of supporters section vs everyone else. Let it begin!

Hopefully, it won't.

I was in 108 for incident above.

I was also in 221 when a beer was tossed from somewhere around the 10th row against Columbus. I don't know where it landed.

For the game vs Vancouver we were in 121 (with a group of kids from the U7 team I coached) and the guy 2 rows down chucked a corn husk.

Even 227, the supposed new "Family Zone" has had a beer tossed from it, narrowly missing the first row of 127.

The supporters sections do have their share of organized chanting profanity but clearly, I'm not sure that is a place for kids. It could be as clean as ever but clearly standing up through the entire game wouldn't allow a kid to see. They'd be bored of staring at someone's backside for 2 hours...

blackandwhite
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
TFC needs support first and foremost. If you wanna entertain your kids with soccer take them to a park.

AL-MO
12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Calling TFC City Boy.....

Fiin
12-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Hopefully, it won't.

I was in 108 for incident above.

I was also in 221 when a beer was tossed from somewhere around the 10th row against Columbus. I don't know where it landed.

For the game vs Vancouver we were in 121 (with a group of kids from the U7 team I coached) and the guy 2 rows down chucked a corn husk.

Even 227, the supposed new "Family Zone" has had a beer tossed from it, narrowly missing the first row of 127.

The supporters sections do have their share of organized chanting profanity but clearly, I'm not sure that is a place for kids. It could be as clean as ever but clearly standing up through the entire game wouldn't allow a kid to see. They'd be bored of staring at someone's backside for 2 hours...

I was in 127 that day.. we couldnt see hwo tossed it sadly :( Outside a supporters section, he probably has a legit gripe... inside 1, no way. The thing is, unfortunatly sound travels too.. and if we want what we have, instead of ACC on a Leaf night, its something really people gotta put up with.

Its like putting up with the cold to go skiiing.

Pookie
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
TFC needs support first and foremost. If you wanna entertain your kids with soccer take them to a park.

... and when you get older and stop going to games who is going to pick up the flag?

Ignorant comment really. The kids are there. Attitudes like that are essentially saying "F' them, I can act any way I want"

What equals support in your mind and does it have to involving throwing things and swearing in front of kids?

Fiin
12-01-2008, 01:20 PM
... and when you get older and stop going to games who is going to pick up the flag?

Ignorant comment really. The kids are there. Attitudes like that are essentially saying "F' them, I can act any way I want"

What equals support in your mind and does it have to involving throwing things and swearing in front of kids?

This arguments just been done too many times, so have at'r.. but by the time the kids pick up the flag, trust me, they'll know what a douchebag is :P

blackandwhite
12-01-2008, 01:21 PM
another newbie.

Pookie
12-01-2008, 01:23 PM
This arguments just been done too many times, so have at'r.. but by the time the kids pick up the flag, trust me, they'll know what a douchebag is :P

:) Probably. I'll have to come up with a definition before next season.

So long as she doesn't call her teacher that, I think it will be ok.

billyfly
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Pookie - I told ya.

Barbarez
12-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I was reading in another thread about how a supporter felt down because he had a family sitting next to him for the upcoming season. I gather this limited the things he wanted to say.

As a father and fan, who has brought my 7 year old and 4 year old to the game, I can say that many fans don't feel the same limitations in what they yell.

I still haven't found the right definition to explain to my little girl what a "f-ing douchebag" is. This was the new name for the Ref which a leather lunged fellow felt was appropriate to yell out repeatly though the last home game of the season. Despite having a group of kids right in front of him. We were a few rows down from that.

At hockey games, when this sort of thing is going on around me I will say something. Essentially, wondering what kind of idiot thinks it's ok to swear repeatedly in front of kids. I find it useless to do this at BMO as whole sections are chanting things like "F' the CSA" or "..... I can't hear a f'ing thing."

That said, I'm not complaining or asking for a zero tolerance policy. I know it going in. I use it as an opportunity to highlight to my kids that I don't want them to act that way and for them to have more respect for themselves and those around them.

When I have my kids with me, I won't ask you to sit down during games. I won't ask you to be quiet or take down your flag. That's fun stuff. Go nuts. I'll be waving mine right next to you.

But wouldn't it be nice if some people realized that buying a ticket and beer didn't necessarily mean that you have to be an arse? Particularly the few that think throwing stuff onto the pitch is a great idea.

TFC need youth to go to games. They need them to embrace the club and translate soccer's high participation rates into a sustainable following.

A little mutual respect would go a long ways towards making that happen.

You're a douchebag

blackandwhite
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
You're a douchebag

You forgot "fucking"

Shaughno
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Man, this has been discussed ad naseum over the past two years. No matter what sport you attend, you're always going to get foul language. You may think it's people being douchebags, but that's professional sports fans. They're loud, rowdy and typically don't give a fuck about anything else going on around them.

Try going to an NFL game and telling someone to politely 'shut up'. I'm sure it will go over fantastically.

It's good that you have an understanding about when you bring your kids, they'll hear foul language, but complaining here sure isn't going to fix it. There are maybe 1000 people active on this board, maybe half have tickets. That leaves about 19,600 other people, most likely including the people you are talking about.

Pookie
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Pookie - I told ya.

Yep.

I guess I can restate that the bulk of the incidents at BMO that I witnessed last year were in NON-SUPPORTER Sections (108, 221, 227, etc).

I could probably restate that 5 or 10 more times but I expect that might not create a lick of difference will it?

Mrs. Workie
I still haven't found the right definition to explain to my little girl what a "f-ing douchebag" is.

Easy

Fucking douchebag = Landon Donovan. No more explanation needed. When they're older, they'll figure it out.

flatpicker
In the Supporter Section, all bets are off... as long as garbage is not being thrown.

In the family section, people should not be using abusive language or doing anything to interfere with people watching the game.
I actually think people should receive warnings and then get tossed out for the remainder of the game for bad behavior in a family section.
The section is there for a reason.

Hopefully the FO will get better at accommodating people who want to be in a specific area.
There needs to be a good number of single ticket sales available in the family section so people have options.
(I'm not saying this isn't already the case since I have no idea one way or the other)

Shaughno
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
:) Probably. I'll have to come up with a definition before next season.

So long as she doesn't call her teacher that, I think it will be ok.

See and that's where the parenting aspect comes in. You'll never be able to fully control what your kids hear. Controlling what comes out of their mouth is more what you should be worried about and it sounds like you have it under control.

deeznutz
12-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry but BW hit the nail on the head.....You can hear the fans in the EPL chanting "Your support,your support,YOUR SUPPORT IS FUCKING SHIT!" and I can say it is sung by the whole stand...Their is Rogers center with the nose bleeds all to you if you want it..But I am sick and tired of this shit each and every week about hearing us cuss.......Did you not know this was going to happen in an event like this?? And please do not say "No" or "Not the section I was going to be in" or "But it's not a supporter section so what gives!" If you love the game or know anything about the game then you should know that people will swear and chant what they want,when they want and whenever they want! Cheers,

Mrs. Workie
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
See and that's where the parenting aspect comes in. You'll never be able to fully control what your kids hear. Controlling what comes out of their mouth is more what you should be worried about and it sounds like you have it under control.

Exactly.

Worldproof your child, don't try to childproof the world.

Stencils
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately for the 'family section' it's right above the NEE boys and girls isn't it? It needs to be moved.

Mrs. Workie
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry but BW hit the nail on the head.....You can hear the fans in the EPL chanting "Your support,your support,YOUR SUPPORT IS FUCKING SHIT!" and I can say it is sung by the whole stand...Their is Rogers center with the nose bleeds all to you if you want it..But I am sick and tired of this shit each and every week about hearing us cuss.......Did you not know this was going to happen in an event like this?? And please do not say "No" or "Not the section I was going to be in" or "But it's not a supporter section so what gives!" If you love the game or know anything about the game then you should know that people will swear and chant what they want,when they want and whenever they want! Cheers,

Fuck Chicago
Fuck Fuck Chicago!

Jack
12-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Alright everyone...I know the boards have been slow lately, but don't take out your frustration on Pookie.

He was polite and respectful. Give him the reasons and move on instead of insulting him.

Pookie, it's going to happen at a sporting event. That's the way it is.