PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona fights for American tax exemption

TOBOR !
11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
... what it says on the tin.

If you read the article, you kind of get the impression that the Miami bid is already in, but yet also suspect that failure to reach some kind of deal with the US Feds may kibosh the deal outright (at least for the foreseeable future).

A tax exemption deal could become the next task on Spanish FC Barcelona’s to-do list. The club previously announced plans to establish a sister club in the Major League Soccer (MLS) in Miami, an endeavour that could bring in EUR 2 million annually.

However, Joan Olivé, General Director for FC Barcelona, is currently trying to secure a tax deal in the United States. If an agreement was not in place, club earnings would be subject to American tax deductions.

Although Olivé’s attempts have yet to find success, he remains confident that pursuing such an arrangement will produce benefits for the MLS, American football, and Barcelona’s new sister club, as reported in Goal.com. The newest team will be based in Miami, Florida, along with two football academies that will share the philosophy put forth by FC Barcelona.

In addition to its strong Hispanic population, Miami also boasts the University of Florida stadium, set to host the newest team’s home games. June 2008 marked the first time FC Barcelona offered a soccer camp in the United States, tailored to both girls and boys between the ages of 6 and 17. As part of the program, FC Barcelona coaches conducted training sessions and diplomas were awarded at the end of each week.

found here (http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/6417-barcelona_fights_for_american_tax_exemption.html)

TOBOR !
11-30-2008, 10:25 PM
BTW - lots of interesting stuff on this site if you're not familiar with it.

EUFootball.biz (http://www.eufootball.biz/)

Shakes McQueen
11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
As a Barcelona fan, I hope they don't get in, in the next round of MLS expansion clubs.

Far too many deserving cities (Portland, Vancouver, to name two) that already have established fanbases, stadium plans, and so on.

If Miami gets a club, it will be purely on the Barca brand-recognition. That isn't a prudent, or fair way to do this.

- Scott

flatpicker
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
^ I'm not sure business minds care about what is fair.

The question is... Will this decision be profitable and raise the profile of MLS?

Oblio2
11-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Why should they get a tax break?

Shakes McQueen
11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
^ I'm not sure business minds care about what is fair.

The question is... Will this decision be profitable and raise the profile of MLS?

I mentioned it wasn't prudent either. Snubbing more vibrant football markets, simply because a major football brand decides they want a team in Miami, isn't smart business.

Plus, unless the team is called "FC Barcelona Miami", and wears the famous Barca colours - your average, casual MLS follower won't even know Barca is involved with the club. So the brand name is pretty useless to those who aren't already fans.

- Scott

flatpicker
12-01-2008, 12:06 AM
^ very true...

I have no reason to believe, or doubt, that a partnership with Barcelona is good for MLS.
I just know that whatever decisions they make will be driven by business rather than fairness.

VPjr
12-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Miami is a lock....the writing is on the wall with permanent marker.

I could see the team being called FCB Miami

Keystone FC
12-01-2008, 05:37 AM
My question is if Chivas has a tax exemption for putting a club in LA. If they do then that sets a president that could be used to get the exemption.

brad
12-01-2008, 09:32 AM
If Miami get in (which they will), I'm curious about the prospects for player loans. In theory, they should be able to circumvent the rules.

Anyone know more about MLS and loans deals? I know that they need to have an option to buy - that's no problem, Miami doesn't exercise it.

What about salary cap - could they ship a quality player or two over here on loan for 50k/year, with Barca picking up the rest?

Wonder if we'll see up and coming Spanish stars over here for a season or two, as well as the odd squad player that needs some match fitness.

tfcmanu
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
MLS would like expansion from WEST & EAST, West being Portland or Vancouver and in the East Miami Or Ottawa I think it will be VAN CITY & MIAMI.

Miami then put together an ownership group headed by city resident Marcelo Claure, a Bolivian who owns the Brightstar Communications, a multibillion-dollar company that is one of the largest Hispanic-owned businesses in the United States, as well as the FC Bolivar soccer team. He in turn announced his partner in the venture would be FC Barcelona. A deal had been struck to use Florida International University's stadium for two years while a soccer-specific stadium was under construction.

Many around the league new consider Miami to be a done deal for one of the 2011 expansion slots. The combination of Claure's billions and Barcelona's soccer expertise would add immeasurably to the league.

http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2008/nov30 (http://www.soccertimes.com/wagman/2008/nov30)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
i guess my biggest issues are a) the fact they arent even trying to get an SSS which suggests an uncertainty and b) Miami has poor history.
I know the league will ignore b) but it seems incredible hypocritical and backwards to ignore a)

James17930
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I had thought that Garber said the league wasn't interested in the UoF stadium and wanted a new SSS on the Rose Bowl site . . .?

Or maybe that would just be too expensive.

And FC Barcelona Miami? That would be the worst name ever, no?

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
I had thought that Garber said the league wasn't interested in the UoF stadium and wanted a new SSS on the Rose Bowl site . . .?

Or maybe that would just be too expensive.

And FC Barcelona Miami? That would be the worst name ever, no?

I think you must mean FIU stadium and Orange Bowl.