PDA

View Full Version : Schelotto Vows Return to Argentina

Oldtimer
11-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Guillermo Barros Schelotto was named Major League Soccer's Most Valuable Player for both the 2008 season and the MLS Cup final, but the Argentine midfielder believes his future lies back in the country of his birth.

"I will return to either Boca or Gimnasia as either a player or a coach," Schelotto said. His comments were reported in El Dia, the Argentine news site.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/11/30/988874/schelotto-vows-return-to-argentina

I guess it's more like "pay me a DP salary, or I'm going back home."

JDG
11-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Let the diving c*nt go.

David_Oliveira
11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
diving c*nt or not, He was one of the major reasons Columbus won the double this year.

BuSaPuNk
11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
^ He might have been a major reason that the Crew won the cup but who cares. CRE.....W what an excuse for a fucking crew!! That diving cunt, we don't need that shit in the leauge

TFC HSV
11-30-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2008/11/30/988874/schelotto-vows-return-to-argentina

It'd be great if he left. Cant stand him for reasons stated by other posters.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Back to being insignificant Columbus.
GOd i hope he returns (regardless of how great he is and the attention he brough) simply because they will be garbage again
Hope Sigi goes to Seattle too

Shakes McQueen
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM
^ He might have been a major reason that the Crew won the cup but who cares. CRE.....W what an excuse for a fucking crew!! That diving cunt, we don't need that shit in the leauge

I don't think running MLS' truly talented players out of the league for diving, is really the answer.

As much as I despise diving, lots of top players do it - including guys like C. Ronaldo.

Make the officials better, and institute harsher penalties for floppers. But don't run good talent out of town, because of one disgusting, but sadly common, part of their game.

- Scott

Hitcho
11-30-2008, 11:40 PM
^ "floppers" - haha! Brilliant... :rofl:

Keyman
11-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Anyone who wants GBS gone, is insane. He's one of this league's only true "star" players. He may be a diver, but he's a damn good footballer. It would be a shame to lose him.

Dunc
12-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Anyone who wants GBS gone, is insane. He's one of this league's only true "star" players. He may be a diver, but he's a damn good footballer. It would be a shame to lose him.

Or maybe they want to watch good honest fair play and not the shameful display that prick GBS puts on every week. I would rather watch less talented players that didn't put a stain on the game.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-01-2008, 12:32 AM
or maybe i dont want to see columbus do anything or win at all.
fuck those cunts.
yes hes brilliant and added alot to the league and that team but i fucking hate columbus

JDG
12-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Diving is not prevalent in our game, but it will be soon enough thanks to him & others like him.
In the MLS Cup Final, there were three of them flopping to the ground at the slightest provocation. It was disgusting.
I'm not about to say these guys don't have talent - just that the price of bringing that talent to MLS is too high if it means that we adopt a style of play where diving is part of the game.

Cashcleaner
12-01-2008, 01:08 AM
^ That's a really good, point. I didn't watch the MLS Cup, but I know that there is a trend developing with regards to diving in the league and I don't think its something people are going to accept if it continues.

VPjr
12-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Diving is not prevalent in our game, but it will be soon enough thanks to him & others like him.
In the MLS Cup Final, there were three of them flopping to the ground at the slightest provocation. It was disgusting.
I'm not about to say these guys don't have talent - just that the price of bringing that talent to MLS is too high if it means that we adopt a style of play where diving is part of the game.

Diving most definitely IS prevelant in the sport. Hell, I even saw Wayne Rooney resort to a blatant dive not too long ago (god forbid an englishman dives). He seemed a bit embarrased by it but it didn't stop him from giving it a shot to try to help his side.

Going down easily is part of the sport and has been for many, many years (even decades). Furthermore, it always will be. you can't eradicate it, not even with fines for dives that get picked up on replay after the match. If a player thinks he can win an advantage for his team by going down at the slightest provocation, he will do it. If the dive results in a free kick (or even a PK) that results in a goal, his team will rejoice, the opposition will be pissed....:noidea: The one at fault is the ref and his assistants. If FIFA was really concerned about this so called plague call diving, they would do the logical thing and add another official to the field of play to add an extra set of eyes. As the speed of the sport evolves, I really don't believe the refs have been able to keep up, which allows simulation to thrive.

Going back to the merits of GBS, MLS needs TALENTED players...desperately. GBS is a talented player. The league is full of guys who can't hold his jock from a talent standpoint. I'd rather my team have 11 players like GBS because that means, in this league, my team would win almost every week.

to repeat....diving IS a part of soccer, like it or not. it happens every week in every league in every country. I'd suggest some of us climb off that very high horse and come to grips with that reality.

Shakes McQueen
12-01-2008, 02:17 AM

The answer is simple: Punish divers! Make blatant dives an instant red, if the official catches it.

Furthermore, institute an NHL-like system, where even if the officials on the pitch miss the call, the head office can still punish players after the fact for especially blatant, embarrassing dives. Make them sit out the next match, like they do for accumulation.

Diving would be so simple to eradicate, if the leagues would have the guts to institute the changes necessary.

The only reason players dive, is because they can get away with it. Take away the incentive, and you get rid of the diving.

- Scott

VPjr
12-01-2008, 02:58 AM
The answer is simple: Punish divers! Make blatant dives an instant red, if the official catches it.

Furthermore, institute an NHL-like system, where even if the officials on the pitch miss the call, the head office can still punish players after the fact for especially blatant, embarrassing dives. Make them sit out the next match, like they do for accumulation.

Diving would be so simple to eradicate, if the leagues would have the guts to institute the changes necessary.

The only reason players dive, is because they can get away with it. Take away the incentive, and you get rid of the diving.

- Scott

but you assume the powers that be actually want to eradicate it.

they say they do. FIFA has the following rule: "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsporting_behaviour)" which is misconduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misconduct_(football)) punishable by a yellow card. you do see the occasional yellow card but it's not common.

I honestly believe that simulation, if used sparingly, is a legitimate tool used by skilled players to gain advantage over more physically imposing players. I think overly physical football is a bigger scourge than diving will ever be. The ruling bodies seem to agree with me too because they have done a far better job of trying to rid soccer of dangerous play, mostly because it is a real impediment to beautiful football. Diving, while somewhat annoying, is not as serious a problem as two footed tackles from behind. FIFA and its affiliates clearly see dangerous play as a more pressing concern.

To me, the simple solution to getting rid of the majority of dives is adding a 2nd on field official. Refs would be better positioned to make the tough calls if they aren't always trailing the game. Adding a 2nd on field official might upset purists but those same purists seem prety heated about diving too.

twistedchinaman
12-01-2008, 03:18 AM

I think the most appropriate thing to say is,

"A enemigo que huye, puente de plata."

Shakes McQueen
12-01-2008, 03:22 AM
but you assume the powers that be actually want to eradicate it.

they say they do. FIFA has the following rule: "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsporting_behaviour)" which is misconduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misconduct_(football)) punishable by a yellow card. you do see the occasional yellow card but it's not common.

I honestly believe that simulation, if used sparingly, is a legitimate tool used by skilled players to gain advantage over more physically imposing players. I think overly physical football is a bigger scourge than diving will ever be. The ruling bodies seem to agree with me too because they have done a far better job of trying to rid soccer of dangerous play, mostly because it is a real impediment to beautiful football. Diving, while somewhat annoying, is not as serious a problem as two footed tackles from behind. FIFA and its affiliates clearly see dangerous play as a more pressing concern.

To me, the simple solution to getting rid of the majority of dives is adding a 2nd on field official. Refs would be better positioned to make the tough calls if they aren't always trailing the game. Adding a 2nd on field official might upset purists but those same purists seem prety heated about diving too.

How can faking an injury, or faking a foul, ever be considered a legitimate part of a sport?

Diving is precisely why many non-football fans consider the sport a joke. Ask any non-football fan about the sport, and the first images it conjures up, is of grown men flopping around on grass.

Overly physical play should be carded too, and mostly is. But simulation is a far worse blight on the credibility of the sport itself. It should be greeted with ZERO tolerance, which means a straight red.

All it would take is a few red cards, and you would see every footballer in Europe reconsider their actions, next time they consider falling to the ground, and flopping around.

I've never been able to understand why some people consider diving a legitimate tactic. To me, there is nothing more embarrassing than watching a grown man roll around on the ground, acting like he's been shot, to try and get a call.

Play the game, not the referees.

- Scott

Wooster_TFC
12-01-2008, 08:48 AM
How can faking an injury, or faking a foul, ever be considered a legitimate part of a sport?

Diving is precisely why many non-football fans consider the sport a joke. Ask any non-football fan about the sport, and the first images it conjures up, is of grown men flopping around on grass.

Overly physical play should be carded too, and mostly is. But simulation is a far worse blight on the credibility of the sport itself. It should be greeted with ZERO tolerance, which means a straight red.

All it would take is a few red cards, and you would see every footballer in Europe reconsider their actions, next time they consider falling to the ground, and flopping around.

I've never been able to understand why some people consider diving a legitimate tactic. To me, there is nothing more embarrassing than watching a grown man roll around on the ground, acting like he's been shot, to try and get a call.

- Scott

While I agree, it's still very difficult for the ref to determine intent of a player when they go down. I think the yellow is still enough, but they need to call it more often. Straight reds won't work because you'll get a player who fell, but the ref think dove, and suddenly you are a man down. That might happen once in a game, but twice, not so much.

Perhaps they also need to come up with a way to review plays, and hand out suspensions (or just tack on to the yellow card total) in order to curb diving. All they would need to do is say that every play in the game will be reviewed, and anything that is determined to be simulation will tack an extra yellow card to the players yellow card count. That way, it doesn't effect the run of the game (although what would happen if the guy did get the call for a PK or something, then it's ruled to be simulation), but still accomplishes the goal.

Huginho
12-01-2008, 09:06 AM
diving SOB or not his skill is quite amazing and makes the league more entertaining. wouldn't be good to see him go cause the league needs players like him minus the diving.

Shaughno
12-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Anyone who wants to see him out of the league, can I ask why?

I mean aside from the diving aspect obviously, but that's something the ref's need to deal with.

He's a pure talent, someone that helps raise the profile and skill level of the league. Why would you want him to leave? Do you want Blanco, Beckham, Angel all to leave as well? I'm sure they've all cheated more than once since they've been in the league, even if it's not comparable to GBS in how much.

Did you see his fucking strike in the MLS Cup Final? The turn and shoot that hit the cross bar? When was the last time you saw Cunningham, or Donovan, or anyone else produce that amount of skill out of nothing?

I really only care about TFC, but I'd like to see the competition in the league keep rising and 'ousting' the best players is hardly a way to raise the level of competition.

ACSertL
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Anyone who wants to see him out of the league, can I ask why?

I mean aside from the diving aspect obviously, but that's something the ref's need to deal with.

He's a pure talent, someone that helps raise the profile and skill level of the league. Why would you want him to leave? Do you want Blanco, Beckham, Angel all to leave as well? I'm sure they've all cheated more than once since they've been in the league, even if it's not comparable to GBS in how much.

Did you see his fucking strike in the MLS Cup Final? The turn and shoot that hit the cross bar? When was the last time you saw Cunningham, or Donovan, or anyone else produce that amount of skill out of nothing?

I really only care about TFC, but I'd like to see the competition in the league keep rising and 'ousting' the best players is hardly a way to raise the level of competition.

Will Johnson's goal of the year :)

But I agree with you on the Schelotto front. As much as that guy's antics get on my nerves, a class player like GBS staying in MLS helps the league's credibility.

Pigfynn
12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
People often want players that are a threat to their team to leave, it's normal.
Nobody likes Ronaldo, Totti, Ballack either except fans of their teams.

VPjr
12-01-2008, 09:45 AM

- Scott

Faking a foul is most certainly part of the sport (as it is in hockey, where it happens in every game)...it also happens in Basketball all the time (exagerated flops happen every game). Its called gamesmanship and I personally have no issue with it. In every sport, playing the referee is part of the sport. In every sport, you see coaches and players "working the ref" to gain an advantage. it's normal. it's never going away.

I'm no fan of excessive rolling around to play up an injury, especially when its clearly about wasting time but, again, if my team wins a match as a result of a well orchastrated bit of time wasting, I'll look the other way. It's the 3 points that matter to me most.

As for the opinions of the non-soccer types, I couldn't give a flying f--k. If they are obsessed about diving, so be it. I had a nice argument with those types of guys at last year's Chile-Argentina game at the U20's which featured tons of diving by Argentina. These guys in front of me were going on and on about how bad it was and, while i actually agreed on that day that Argentina went overboard, I kept reminding them that all that mattered was that they won the game and those antics helped seal the deal. It's not Argentina's fault that perhaps the worst referee in the history of soccer fell for their antics each and every time.

Where I will agree with you is that if the referee's would put their foot down early in a match and hand out a couple of quick yellow's, the antics tend to diminish. I don't agree that straight red's are the way to go (especially since the rules of the game only permit a yellow) but if the ref goes to the pocket quickly enough, there will be fewer phantom tackles (as an old coach of mine used to say when refering to dives).

Stugatzo
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Douche-lotto....C U Next Tuesday!

Technorgasm
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
If you think having BGS leave this league will benefit anyone,. . .

. . . your crazy.

CREW beat us, and got a double for gods sake. He is a star.
If MLS cant keep him here, what hope does TFC have of retaining any star talent like him?

. . .crazy.

Roogsy
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
^ Whether we like him or not...what he did in Columbus shows the effect a real talent can have on the league. And him leaving would only expose the league's inability to retain it's talent. That can never be a good thing.

Cashcleaner
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Diving most definitely IS prevalent in the sport. Hell, I even saw Wayne Rooney resort to a blatant dive not too long ago (god forbid an Englishman dives). He seemed a bit embarrassed by it but it didn't stop him from giving it a shot to try to help his side.

He meant its not as prevalent in MLS as it is elsewhere (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc.) Which is true.

Pigfynn
12-01-2008, 11:14 AM
You know what? players play a few seasons in a league and leave for another one all the time. Just because he's going to leave for Argentina doesn't mean it's because MLS is bad and can't hang on to talent. Players are fickle and come and go as they please.

He'll be replaced by another great talent....a trend that is growing guys, if you wanna look at some team rosters for MLS in like 1999-2000 you'll see things are improving talent-wise every season.

Shaughno
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
He meant its not as prevalent in MLS as it is elsewhere (EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc.) Which is true.

I'm not so sure. I saw quite a bit of diving in almost every game I watched, including our own team. Maybe not as much as some of the other leagues, but it's hardly enough of a difference to validate the statement IMO.

Cashcleaner
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
^ Really? I don't know about that. Maybe its because I haven't seen a lot of other leagues play in a while. Has the trend been increasing or decreasing the last few years?

Nodoubtguy
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
[/URL][URL]http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081202&content_id=207414&vkey=pr_coc&fext=.jsp&team=t102 (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/12/schelotto-returning-to-crew-in-2009.html)

Looks like he's gonna be the Crew DP for 2009....

gtaguy
12-02-2008, 07:37 PM
no matter what anyone says i will say it first... The mls has put schelotto back on the soccer map... Much to our dismay of wanting such a wanker to stay in the league eventually he will head back to argentina.
In all the papers i have read in spanish he has really given the MLS alot of legitimacy and has stated to alot of latin american players that to play in the MLS is not some joke or easy as might have been thought...
We lose one good player but were going to get inundated with many many more becuase of whats he's said...
The table is changing where before we were a joke in the soccer world, now we are the darling of soccer worldwide.from management to salary caps,to contracting. (not that i agree with alot that comes from the mls but its true. mls has built this league from shite.
Lets capitalize on this chance to bring in more talent from abroad... From young prospects that want to make it big in europe to those that are finishing great careers abroad with gasoline still in the tank..
Where money can be made for the mls is a good thing becuase we all win . seeing young up and comers to those that are still a ligitimate for in any league even if thier days of glory are gone... Eventually the tables will change but until any mls team that can fill thier stadiums to capacity and hold 60 thousand plus spectators it won't happen.. don't kill me guys for saying it but in world soccer thier definetely is a pecking order like it or not...

Vindaloo
12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Diving Argies....you would think they could get new tricks. They can have the lot of them I say.

loconet
03-28-2011, 03:20 PM
He doesn't seem happy to be back :hump:

/v/tj6u0PxpfnA

edit:

rough translation (translating colorful insults is near impossible lol):
Guillermo (to the cameraman): Hey, eh eh eh .. get off!
Guillermo: Hey, you son of a bitch [this version would be literally translated to "The whore that gave birth to you!]
Guillermo: Hey!
Announcers: What's going on? What's going on? [emphasizing that Guillermo is being a child]
Guillermo: What are you doing you son of a bitch [literally translated to: What are you doing. The bitching pussy of your mother]
Cameraman: What is wrong with you dumb-ass?
Guillermo (to the ref): eh! eh! eh! He's insulting me! [puteando translates literally to "bitching/whoring me" but it's slang for insulting]
Guillermo: I can't play!

Nodoubtguy
03-28-2011, 03:28 PM
"Me esta puteando".....:smilielol5:

Gazza
03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
google translate must be off