PDA

View Full Version : Dichio: More than one more year?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-30-2008, 05:33 AM
I love the man. Hes done wonders for the team. He changes the game when he comes on the field.

When he comes on the field.

Dude was injured a whole lot of games last year. Its obvious that hes not getting younger and as a result injuries are likely to increase.

Is he worth signing to play (and i stress to play) past this up coming season?
Is he worth the money for another year after this up coming season?

Personally id like to see him finish this year and sign on as a coach, but honestly i think his playing days are numbered.

Cashcleaner
11-30-2008, 09:38 AM
^ I think everyone can accept the fact that he's not playing at the same level he did years ago, but I totally agree that he can still contribute in some way to the team. I'd like to see him consider a coaching job as well, or something along those lines.

Lucky Strike
11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Playing past the 2009 season? As it stands now, I don't think so, as much as I'd want that to be true. Is it possible for TFC to sign Dichio to a two year contract in which the first year he's contracted as a player while the second as a coach?

JDG
11-30-2008, 10:04 AM
His comments have always indicated that a future in Toronto is part of his plans. Coaching at some level is highly likely. He's laying the groundwork for life after playing. His soccer school is taking off.
We can use in effectively for another year for sure. His form next year will be the deciding factor.

jloome
11-30-2008, 07:48 PM
If -- as we did with Tim Regan, briefly -- you're allowed to sign game-by-game contracts in MLS, they should simply sign him as full-time coach, then offer him a game-by-game on top of it. Good incentive, he moves into the coaching ranks, stays wit the team, and is also available to play as needed.

J .
12-01-2008, 12:16 AM
He has one year left as a sub for us and getting more into coaching. Definitely not starting day to day, but still a very usable asset for us.

Roogsy
12-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I said last year I want him off the bench. The energy he'd give the team is unmeasurable. And off the bench...I think we can squeeze one, maybe two years from him. Then as a coach in the TFC system.

Cashcleaner
12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Ya know what I'm thinking? Dichio could be the kinda guy to talk one-on-one with potential players and help convince them to make a move to Toronto. The city has always seen so many great player turn their backs on us because we're not as glamorous or cosmopolitan as New York, LA, or Chicago. Perhaps he could change some perceptions?

Cambridge_Red
12-01-2008, 12:25 AM
He definately be a great ambassador for the team. /\

Mikey
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
In a recent TV interview Mo talked of Dichio staying on at TFC after his playing days, possibly with a role in the academy.