PDA

View Full Version : Best supporters in mls for 2009.. Not Toronto?

profit89
11-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Check out this poll I came across on BigSoccer...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861682

Seattle attempting to take our Crown?
Go and vote guys.. make us look good !

The Pope
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
every time you vote in an internet poll a puppy gets hurt

stop hurting puppies

Parkdale
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
wait.... is Nascar making polls on big soccer now too?

personally, I hope that all the teams can step up their home support next year. It will just make the league better if people start caring about their club like we care about ours.

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
personally, I hope that all the teams can step up their home support next year. It will just make the league better if people start caring about their club like we care about ours.

QFT, but I still want us to be known as the most passionate, the loudest and the most loyal fans in the league on top of that! :canada::D:D:canada:

Parkdale
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
oh totally. We can be #1 if we work at it. Right now is NOT the time to rest on our laurels. We need to bring more to the table every season.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:36 PM
You have to think about it though. I mean, everyone is trying to be like us at the moment, Crew being a prime example. DC is doing what they've always done... but getting no attention at the same time, because they're stagnant.

We need to strive to be better every year. Accomplish more every year. Simply 'being there' isn't good enough.

profit89
11-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Seattle will be tough to beat. They are a world class organization. Already 18000 season tix sold. I'm happy they're in the league.

Damien
11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I hope further expansion teams are as decent as Seattle... besides drafting guys like Jarrod Smith in the draft :lol: ... if he's starting they wont have a lot to cheer about

Blazer
11-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I find it funny that of the messages written on the blog below the poll, there’s no mention of TFC being the hands down favourite. Too scared or proud to admit who currently dominates the MLS perhaps?

Our crown does lose lustre every time we hear a chant that we sing repeated and modified by the others though.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Sustained volume is what we lack....it's what all teams wish they had. Chanting and singing ALL game long. We also need more people singing...the louder BMO is the better.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I find it funny that of the messages written on the blog below the poll, there’s no mention of TFC being the hands down favourite. Too scared or proud to admit who currently dominates the MLS perhaps?

Our crown does lose lustre every time we hear a chant that we sing repeated and modified by the others though.

Bah, self fellation. Some of those groups have been singing 'our' songs since before we had a team.

deltox
11-27-2008, 01:58 PM
that 18,000 , is that actual sales or pre sales?

Lucky Strike
11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Doesn't bother me too much: I'll always think we're #1 in MLS.

I think the most important thing is that we'll always be remembered for raising the bar up so high in terms of fan support in MLS.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 02:02 PM
18k ticket sales means dick all if they don't bring it on game day.

eustacchio
11-27-2008, 02:02 PM
We're ahead in the poll now anyway.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Who cares, it's a fucking BigSoccer thread... it's an internet poll...

None of that shit matters unless you bring it on gameday.

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 02:06 PM
You have to think about it though. I mean, everyone is trying to be like us at the moment, Crew being a prime example. DC is doing what they've always done... but getting no attention at the same time, because they're stagnant.

We need to strive to be better every year. Accomplish more every year. Simply 'being there' isn't good enough.

And we will.

profit89
11-27-2008, 02:06 PM
that 18,000 , is that actual sales or pre sales?

Good question. I pretty sure it's actual sales, but not 100% certain.

Blazer
11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
True enough. I guess what I mean is since we became the MLS dominators of particular chants, it just doesn’t seem right to hear others sing them as well even if they have been singing it before our franchise was awarded.

eustacchio
11-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm just saying is all. You know, since that's what this thread is supposed to be about.

I never meant to hurt any puppies.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm just saying is all. You know, since that's what this thread is supposed to be about.

I never meant to hurt any puppies.

Neither did this guy. :lol:
http://thestartingfive.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/michael-vick-r_0.jpg

Ok, maybe he did... you're off the hook. :p

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 02:33 PM
We are, and in light of the league's new rules now always will be forever after, the STREAMER KINGS though - wooooo hooooooooooo!!! :D:D:D

Cashcleaner
11-27-2008, 03:00 PM
18k ticket sales means dick all if they don't bring it on game day.

QFT. Seattle has never really had a reputation for being a "rowdy" sports town. They may have a lot of soccer fans with quite a bit of knowledge of the sport, but we'll see how that is reflected on gameday.

justin
11-27-2008, 03:09 PM
we're not the best in the league, no way. DC gets that vote from me hands down. we're too spread out and lacking co-ordination because of it.

the reality is, until the day (hopefully) comes that we get a new north stand, and the group gets control of ticket distribution, we won't improve over this year or last year.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't disagree with you Justin. I would say though, that we have the best travelling support in the league.

ps. Winterpeg is back on! :lol:

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I only commented on the thread after someone suggested COLUMBUS.

DC/TFC/Chicago (although I haven't 'been' to Chicago personally)

But I am interested to see what Seattle brings to the table.

justin
11-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I don't disagree with you Justin. I would say though, that we have the best travelling support in the league.

oh no doubt. i have more fun on road trips than any home game. everyone is on the same page and we always rock the joint.

haha sucker! my trip has been postponed, but i'll still be there from the 8th-12th, then again the following week 15th-19th

but ya...away support, we rock. chicago especially. i always end up drenched in sweat from screaming so hard and jumping so much in chicago. wears me out so much i have no energy to go out after the game :lol:

kshep
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
we're not the best in the league, no way. DC gets that vote from me hands down. we're too spread out and lacking co-ordination because of it.

the reality is, until the day (hopefully) comes that we get a new north stand, and the group gets control of ticket distribution, we won't improve over this year or last year.

Without all the supporter groups uniting under one flag(not that each group would have to give up it individuality or imagery), us as supporters will never be able to obtain control of ticket distribution on a large scale.. On the other hand if all the groups where to come together at least from a purchasing standpoint it would probably be possible.

With a large group of 2500 or 3000(if not more), it would be a lot easier to go to the club and say "we'd like to buy a block of 3000 tickets in such and such sections, We know that one of the reasons for the clubs success is the atmosphere we engineer and we feel that this would further the game day experience." If all the supporter groups continue to act as stand alone outfits, it's a lot easier for the club to say no to each group in turn.

United the supporter groups would have some clout, as individual groups we have nothing.

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Bara Brava / Screaming Eagles / DC United are the best in the league.

no?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Section 8 / Barn Burners 1871 / Chicago Fire are the Best in League

No?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Midnight Riders / New England Revolution are the Best in League

No?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

Lucky Strike
11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
????

JonO
11-27-2008, 05:28 PM

no?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

Section 8 / Barn Burners 1871 / Chicago Fire are the Best in League

No?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

Midnight Riders / New England Revolution are the Best in League

No?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!

TFC supporters are the best in the league. "Best" = "excelling all others". Ergo, by definition the above quotes cannot be accurate.
QED

:p

CretanBull
11-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Seatle is going to have a good supporters group, so will Philly. That's good news for the league IMO. I hope the come out strong and try to put us to shame, and of course I hope we respond in kind!

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 05:52 PM
^^Sons of Ben have been waiting for a very long time for their team. I hope they bring it.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 05:54 PM
I think Sons of Ben will bring out a whole other side of DC and NY, personally. There are pretty good city rivalries already there and from what I've heard, SOB are already not liked very well by DC and NY. I guess it completes the trifecta.
:lol:

Keystone FC
11-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I think Sons of Ben will bring out a whole other side of DC and NY, personally. There are pretty good city rivalries already there and from what I've heard, SOB are already not liked very well by DC and NY. I guess it completes the trifecta.

You have NO IDEA how intense Philly will be for the DC, RBNY matches. After 2010 I do believe there will be some restrictions as far as traveling support just due to the fact of the reputation Philly fans have for being REALLY loud and letting the other team (and theirs) have it.
kBJEfmQA9q4
93DDeB_NawU&feature
vnQ0hS0tBzc&feature

I can only imagine but I will place bets that the SoB will be in no less than 3 fights at the opening tailgate party. I hope Philly will play DC or RBNY towards the middle of their 1st season so the tension can build. It's going to be interesting.

zeelaw
11-27-2008, 07:14 PM
time to show em up

Jack
11-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Bah...who cares?

We need to be better for our team and compete against ourselves.

Fuck all those other teams and their supporters.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
cuauhtemoc, sus ventiladores del chivo casi estan como lickers grandes de una bola como usted

FluSH
11-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Check out this poll I came across on BigSoccer...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861682

Seattle attempting to take our Crown?
Go and vote guys.. make us look good !

Unless some serious changes happen, and more people start doing SUPPORTING activities... we will win at polls and Barra Brava will win in the stands.

Jack
11-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Unless some serious changes happen, and more people start doing SUPPORTING activities... we will win at polls and Barra Brava will win in the stands.

You really think so?

Your outlook seems awfully grim.

FluSH
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
You really think so?

Your outlook seems awfully grim.

I'll like to think that I am critical =)

Jack
11-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Critical is fine as long as you're working to make it better (which I know you are doing).

J .
11-28-2008, 11:16 PM
We have done alot of good but there are problems which I do not think we alone can fix. The huge sections of people in 112,113,114 etc who are there to be in the section but not participate in the songs, chants, banner creation or flag waving are a big problem.

It was a good move for the supporters to get the corner sections added. If there are more and more groups of individuals in other sections who are willing to brave people around to stand for the full 90 and sing then I think we could get the stadium going with the dead weight mixed amongst us.

Cambridge_Red
11-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Its only going to get better this relocation process was an amazing success for supporters outside of the supporters sections to gain access to areas like the top of 110 and in 127. Just give it time guys.. Barra Brava have been around for a while and ofcourse have learned alot to become what they are.

nascarguy
11-29-2008, 12:34 AM

no?

PROVE ME WRONG BITCHES!!
yes they are the best in the 08 season . but as for next year we need to bring it we need more big banners and we need to be louder

Bars92
11-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Comparing NFL fans in Philidephia to what we now have for TFC in Toronto is a bit out to lunch i think. (missing the point)

TorCanSoc
11-29-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure who came up with the "build the supporters, before the team" model. Was it MLS or MLSE? Either way, the league has recognized that the supporters build atmosphere, atmosphere sells tickets, tickets fills stadiums, filled stadiums builds a product/brand, a good product builds profit.

Seattle (sorry I dont' know their supporters section name) and Philly's Sons of Ben are going to make those franchises strong out of the gate. Did we influence how those franchises build their supporters? Sure. Did the moving of San Jose down to Houston and their great fans infuence how TFC put their franchise together, of course it did.

In terms of in-stadium supporter organization, Seattle and Philly are going to be better. They have used our learning curve to recognize rabid fans and rabid fans with kids. I would believe they will have a standup supporter's section, a sit-down supporter's section, and a other side of the stadium family supporter's section.

Could you imagine a re-organized BMO where they put the super rowdies together, and put the more reserved season ticket holder's at the other side of the stadium.!! Well guess what, I will bet that's going to happen with Seattle and Philly. Making their in-stadium experience a bit stronger... the big stadium may not help. But I am anticipating a sell out stadium for Seattle's opener. And 40,000 when Becky rolls into town. I can see Seattle averaging 30,000 a game the first season.

A question for our FO though... why didn't anyone from Houston or D.C. tell us about this difference in fan? I'm sure they had the same issues. Having said that, when I went to Chicago to watch their game, the fans were great in a different way. Very organized with the drums, just as knowledgeable, but were all seated.

Can fandimonium be attributed to local culture is a good question too.

twistedchinaman
11-29-2008, 07:54 AM

You damn better believe it! :D

profit89
11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
In terms of in-stadium supporter organization, Seattle and Philly are going to be better. They have used our learning curve to recognize rabid fans and rabid fans with kids. I would believe they will have a standup supporter's section, a sit-down supporter's section, and a other side of the stadium family supporter's section.

That's exactly what they've done. The Families on one end (North): non-alcoholic beverages. And supporter's sections on the other end: enough alcohol 'til you drop.

http://www.seats3d.com/mls/seattle_sounders_fc/

dantdot
11-29-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863587

New poll to crash, enjoy.

james
11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Toronto has the best travelling support in MLS. DC United have the best visual support with Tifos/banners/ flags and such. Loudest singing...between DC United and Toronto its to close to call with Chicago comming in 3rd. Best ticket sales in MLS go to LA Galaxy (mostly Soccer moms tho), Toronto FC and then DC United. So between us and DC we both got some strong qualities and some we can inprove on, we are both among the best supporters in MLS tho.

Roogsy
11-29-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863587

New poll to crash, enjoy.

Voted...booya!

Keystone FC
11-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Comparing NFL fans in Philidephia to what we now have for TFC in Toronto is a bit out to lunch i think. (missing the point)

It's not really comparing the NFL Philly fans to TFC Supporters. It's the mentality and reputation that Philly fans, in general, have that will be of great interest to myself...and probably the rest of the league. I'm just wondering if that intensity that the Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies fans have will carry over into the MLS. If it does...we better be ready.

adamdz
11-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Bah...who cares?

We need to be better for our team and compete against ourselves.

Fuck all those other teams and their supporters.

I agree with you here Jack. Not once during the year did I think how we compared to another SG. I always ask myself about how happy I am currently with our support.

Canadian Blue
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
who cares if we aren't the best supporters. I would gladly be the worst supporters if the team was decent

nascarguy
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
we sould care about being the best supporter in the mls. We have no say about how the team plays on the field.

I'll say this if the tfc game were was boring as the leaf game i would have not paid athere 600$ for a 2nd season.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM

Honestly i think....TFC and Philly could also start something special...Im sure many of those SOB's are Flyer fans..and already have a nice hate on for Torontonians.....from my experiences of attending leaf playoff games in philly! It's nasty!:hump:

We'll need good numbers when we hit philly!!......

Ive had this on my mind ever since philly was awarded a team!:D

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1770/94905372lu7.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

james
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
who cares if we aren't the best supporters. I would gladly be the worst supporters if the team was decent

disagree there. As fans its are job to cheer the boys on....its the players job to win games. Since we are fans and not players we should always strive to be the best fans in the league, just like the players should always strive to be the best team on the field the league!

james
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM

and really you telling me you wouldnt mind having worse support then teams like Kansas, Colorado or Dallas.......come on they are a joke, no atmosphere. Youd have to sit and be surrounded by little kids and soccer moms!

nascarguy
12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
we have the best atmosphere in the mls. We just need to have more gaint sec size banners & flags up

we allready have the best away supporter trips in the mls

and buy the way it's just a dumb poll from bigsoccer.

Blazer
12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I’m not even offended or bent out of shape because of this poll/discussion. You only become offended if you believe in your heart of hearts that you are in fact inferior and inferior we are not when it comes to fan support. There’s nothing to qualify nor is there reason to feel less than the very best. People aren’t dumb, they know where it’s at.

End of.

FluSH
12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

alright...

Let's all CTRL ALT DEL

please