PDA

View Full Version : Who do you support?

Damien
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Just a poll to see where everyone stands on TFC/MLS/Canadian soccer...

And I do know it's the offseason here / inseason Europe, but I'm interested to know who you support/follow more:

TFC
<or>
Europe / Other World Soccer

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Manchester United first and foremost.

Stouffville_RPB
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Both. People can't be expected to drop teams they've been following for years as soon as they lay eyes on TFC.

I follow both.

Damien
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
lol the 2 of you responded, but there's only 1 polled for "Euro / Other World Soccer "

Ageroo
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I love TFC and support...so I chose that option....but I am a longtime follower of the CMNT.....even though the CSA is a pile of dogshit, I still support the National program!

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2008, 12:23 PM
TFC. It wasn't the first club but it's the one I call home.

Oblio2
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
My first, one true love...is Tottenham.

As a side note, I was watching Spurs a few weeks back and my wife was like "Why do you like Spurs so much?"
My response (which, in hindsight wasn't the best) was....
"Look, Ive loved Spurs longer than you!"

Needless to say, I wasn't interupted for the rest of the game...or the weekend! :)

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
I love TFC and support...so I chose that option....but I am a longtime follower of the CMNT.....even though the CSA is a pile of dogshit, I still support the National program!

whoah that should be a given Ags! But good for you for bringing Canada into this!:canada:

BuSaPuNk
11-27-2008, 12:25 PM
^ +1 feel the same....TFC first and foremost....Man U after..

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
1. Toronto FC
2. Celtic FC
3. Liverpool
4. Watford FC
5 HSV Hamburg
6 Canada
7 Anyone playing Rangers or Man Utd
for a couple of hrs anyways.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
I follow BOTH. When TFC is in season, i am absolutely glued to all things TFC...But right now, Europe is in season, so i follow the Prem, La Liga and UEFA Cup and Champions League...

When you think about it, its pretty awesome because i have a football fix ALL YEAR ROUND!!!

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I have clubs that I 'follow' overseas but TFC first and foremost.

The other club:
-Sporting

And a distant third:
-Liverpool

BuSaPuNk
11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
1. TFC
2. Manchester United
3. Newcastle United
4. Celtic
5. Bayern Munich

Stouffville_RPB
11-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I follow BOTH. When TFC is in season, i am absolutely glued to all things TFC...But right now, Europe is in season, so i follow the Prem, La Liga and UEFA Cup and Champions League...

When you think about it, its pretty awesome because i have a football fix ALL YEAR ROUND!!!

It's the greatest thing about MLS.

As a side note, I was watching Spurs a few weeks back and my wife was like "Why do you like Spurs so much?"

Needless to say, I wasn't interupted for the rest of the game...or the weekend! :)

That is classic! Thanks for making me laugh.:D

Stencils
11-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I've followed Birmingham City longer, but I support Toronto FC stronger.

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
To those who have 2 clubs from one league. How? And while I'm at it-

Country before club
TFC

...and then I follow
Man United

Lucky Strike
11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
1st. TFC
2nd. OM
Distant 3rd: Barnsley

...in other words, as my signature implies.

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 12:40 PM
To those who have 2 clubs from one league. How? And while I'm at it-

Country before club
TFC

...and then I follow
Man United

I would like to know that too.

profit89
11-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Both.

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 12:43 PM
lol the 2 of you responded, but there's only 1 polled for "Euro / Other World Soccer "

Its funny because I voted that way :lol:

Bayern Munchen has been in my blood since birth so they are automatically #1, with TFC a very close 2nd. Nottingham Forest, who I decided on my own and not through any family history takes the bronze.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it's hard to claim to feel more connected to a club thousands of miles away. I understand that some have supported those teams a lot longer (like me with Preston) but I struggle to understand how it can be the same as the love for your home club TFC.
An argument can be made with relation to time spent supporting I suppose, but I find it difficult to believe one feels closer to a club, ground, fellow supporters that live across an ocean. Just my 2 cents.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Both but my interest in TFC is greater than Bremen because i can go to a game every saturday and i never have issues with media coverage. God knows i love Bremen. One of my bestfriends and I had discussed this (hes also supported his team since he was young, at least a decade and a half and was raised in a 'football' house hold) and he more or less feels the same way. Its nice, after all these years to be able to go to a game and be an instant part of whatevers on the field. You cant get that through listening to german radio at 9 am on a saturday morning.

Its best described as

Bremen - First Love
TFC - Wife for life

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Pigfynn brings up another great point.

SLBuu
11-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I support TFC....

But i've been a fan of Benfica for years and years

the first time i've seen Benfica play was against TFC. I was cheering on BOTH teams from 112. I wore both Benfica and TFC gear that day.

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I think it's hard to claim to feel more connected to a club thousands of miles away. I understand that some have supported those teams a lot longer (like me with Preston) but I struggle to understand how it can be the same as the love for your home club TFC.
An argument can be made with relation to time spent supporting I suppose, but I find it difficult to believe one feels closer to a club, ground, fellow supporters that live across an ocean. Just my 2 cents.

This is a good point. I think that the discussions I can have with Bayern supporters on this side of the Atlantic (mainly with my father) really keep my passion for that club alive not to mention the TV coverage so I can actually see the team play. I will say this though...I am always excited to go down to BMO to watch TFC play and hate missing watching away games on TV let alone not being able to stand in person in 114.

Oldtimer
11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I follow both my Euro club and TFC, but I'm more obsessive about TFC.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
^^114 represent!

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 12:59 PM
^^114 represent!

:)...for reference I sit to GuelphGuy's immediate right

ilikemusic
11-27-2008, 01:01 PM
TFC.

I have no true allegiances to any European clubs.

However I pay way more attention to the Euro leagues than I do to TFC & MLS. This is still a patchwork league with alot of maturing to do.

AL-MO
Although I am hardly in 114, that is the section I have my tickets.

Pigfynn
Holy shit! I know you! well, to see you anyway....yo.

AC that is...

AL-MO
TFC.

I have no true allegiances to any European clubs.

However I pay way more attention to the Euro leagues than I do to TFC & MLS. This is still a patchwork league with alot of maturing to do.

Any particular team/club?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
My kidsll be raised with both.
In my dreams they play for TFC academy, play for TFC then get transferred to Bremen for a couple of years and retire at TFC.
I would be happy to if they just stayed and played at TFC for their whole career.
Good thing im being realistic about this, HA

Yohan
11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
In order of my fondness
1. TFC
2. West Ham
3. South Korea
4. Canada (would be above SK if CSA wasnt so shite)
The rest is distant in level of fondness
5. Fiorentina
6. Valencia
7. Blackburn
8. Anyone playing against Man U scum or Chelski scum

jabbronies
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I support:
1. TFC
2. Manchester United

I follow:
3. Newcastle United
4. St Ettiene

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Holy shit! I know you! well, to see you anyway....yo.

AC that is...

I'm the one normally in the Zetterberg hat...the giant with the beard is my brother, he's on here sometimes. You're up in the last row if I'm not mistaken.

jabbronies
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
As for leagues...i don't really care about the MLS. Actually I don't care at all aside from TFC.

I do care about EPL though. I follow as much as I can when I can.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 01:09 PM
when it comes to leagues, ill watch just about anything tho my primary focus is on EPL and Bundesliga (granted its hard watching teams you hate/dont care about in the same league as the team you support)

ilikemusic
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Any particular team/club?

Im a half assed supporter of Celtic (chosen simply because I am Irish Catholic, despite not being relgious and finding any form of sectarian violence and agreession to be absolutely retarded) but the SPL is so boring that its hard to get very passionate.

I watch the Premiership without a real rooting interest. I just look for the big games, regardless of who is involved.

Aside from Celtic, my allegiances run as deep as who is playing Ireland's best player, so this season, im a Liverpool fan. ;)

But TFC is the only club in the world that I feel any true allegiances to. Everything else is just entertainment.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm the one normally in the Zetterberg hat...the giant with the beard is my brother, he's on here sometimes. You're up in the last row if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, last row...often swearing loudly lol. Leo (guelphguy) is a friend and sometimes team mate of mine.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM

For me, it has to do with straight up how I feel about the teams.

United, pretty much anytime I think about footy, they are at the forefront. I love the club, the history, everything. It's become a MAJOR part of my life and continues to be, even since TFC has come around. I enjoy myself much more watching United games at the pub, than I do watching TFC games.

For me, the biggest part about TFC is the live football. I support the team, and will as long as we have a team but to me, United has fueled my love for football for so long I can't see TFC ever meaning more to me.

Basically it comes down to, a win for TFC doesn't make me feel as great as a win for United.

Oldtimer
11-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Although I am hardly in 114, that is the section I have my tickets.

True dat.

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes, last row...often swearing loudly lol. Leo (guelphguy) is a friend and sometimes team mate of mine.

You're only doing what a true supporter would be doing :D.

Leo is the reason I am on these boards...he told me to sign up, but warned me that it would take over my life. Now I don't know if he's some sorta fortune teller...:lol:

I guess I'll see you in the spring for sure!

jabbronies
11-27-2008, 01:18 PM

United, pretty much anytime I think about footy, they are at the forefront. I love the club, the history, everything. It's become a MAJOR part of my life and continues to be, even since TFC has come around. I enjoy myself much more watching United games at the pub, than I do watching TFC games.

For me, the biggest part about TFC is the live football. I support the team, and will as long as we have a team but to me, United has fueled my love for football for so long I can't see TFC ever meaning more to me.

Basically it comes down to, a win for TFC doesn't make me feel as great as a win for United.

I'm with you on everything here except for that last line...that's why I can't say that United is #1 for me.

Detroit_TFC
11-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I watch a couple of EPL games on tv each week and read the Guardian football section regularly. I like trying to predict the scores in EPL on iknowthescore.com. So I'd say I follow EPL and other English football divisions fairly close.

However, I've spent thousands of dollars and focused hundreds of hours on TFC. I can't say that I have the emotional connection to any other team like I have with TFC. So both materially and emotionally there's really no comparison.

KrazyKanadian
11-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I live and die by TFC. Happy as hell with the wins, and super grouchy with the losses.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:22 PM

That's cool Jay.

What I'm saying is that when TFC wins and your standing in 112 having just screamed yourself hoarse as compared to when you're sitting in front of your PC at 10 in the morning watching a Man U win....again. It is hard to imagine you feel that that Man U victory is "yours" the way that the TFC victory would feel...no?

I mean, you are apart of the TFC win and so you are connected rather than a distant spectator.

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Agree with this entirely, but the basic fact is pretty much everyone on here was probably a fan of another club in some way before TFC existed, otherwise they wouldn't have bought tickets!

Plenty of people follow from afar though, all around the world. I think Pigfynn's point is valid, save for those people who used to be on the terraces for years at another club and then moved abroad and are now in the stands at TFC as their new home club. But anyone who supports, eg, Man Utd, Liverpool etc but has never been to old trafford or anfield and now has a season ticket at BMO Field - I just cannot see how you can that other club first, because it's based on nothing tnagible, no matter how long you've followed the team.

Agreed that national teams for your home country can stand side by side with club allegiance though, wherever you're from originally.

Eastend
11-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I can't choose 1 over the other at this point. I choose TFC and United the same.

1 is my first ever home club while the other is inherited but still very much loved.

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm not making a snarky point here, but as a basic question Shaughno (and all the others who have professed a similar allegiance), have you ever been to old trafford on a regular basis?

If not, what's the connection? Because to me, picking a winning team from abroad and following them for years and years just cannot compare to being at the stadium of your home club, being part of the crowd, etc. I guess the difference is getting a kick out of watching a team win and play well rather than being there to support the team and feeling part of the whole experience?

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
For the record I am not saying that Shaughno is a sit in front of the TV only Man U supporter. I know he's been to Old Trafford many times and don't at all doubt his passion....just trying to get to the heart of the issue.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
That's cool Jay.

What I'm saying is that when TFC wins and your standing in 112 having just screamed yourself hoarse as compared to when you're sitting in front of your PC at 10 in the morning watching a Man U win....again. It is hard to imagine you feel that that Man U victory is "yours" the way that the TFC victory would feel...no?

I mean, you are apart of the TFC win and so you are connected rather than a distant spectator.

To be honest, I watch most of the matches at Main Event which is the United Supporters Club of Canada home pub. I enjoy the atmosphere there more than most TFC games. Watching United win the CL there was by far one of the best footy related moments in my life, along with getting to see my favourite player's testimonial match at Old Trafford.

So in short, yes those United victories do feel as great or better than the TFC ones. Now, the only TFC victory that really got me THAT excited was when we were in Montreal.

trane
11-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I support TFC first because for better of for worse this is my city, but almost despite myself because I dislike so much about what is going on in the MLS.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:32 PM
For the record I am not saying that Shaughno is a sit in front of the TV only Man U supporter. I know he's been to Old Trafford many times and don't at all doubt his passion....just trying to get to the heart of the issue.

:p I think for me, it's best described as...

First season of TFC was amazing. That 'nostalgia' wore off where every game was fanstastic and enjoyable despite the result. Now it's more in tune with how I feel about United. The wins are great, the losses hurt, but even still I feel it's not quite as close to my heart as it is with United.

Oh and also, I don't live in Toronto. So I don't consider Toronto 'my city' like many others do.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:34 PM
:p I think for me, it's best described as...

First season of TFC was amazing. That 'nostalgia' wore off where every game was fanstastic and enjoyable despite the result. Now it's more in tune with how I feel about United. The wins are great, the losses hurt, but even still I feel it's not quite as close to my heart as it is with United.

Oh and also, I don't live in Toronto. So I don't consider Toronto 'my city' like many others do.

Maybe winning the league or the cup will help with that !

What a day it will be:drinking:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CretanBull
11-27-2008, 01:36 PM
My favourite clubs are TFC and Leeds United. I can't pick between them really. I've been following Leeds since birth, although before the days of the internet 'following' an overseas team was a pretty distant idea. TFC is much closer to home, it's more personal. If they ever played each other, I'd hope for a draw but be happy for either team that won (as long as it wasn't a thrashing, then I'd feel bad for the loser).

Until Leeds get back into the Premiership I usually root for whatever team that threatens to break into the top 4. Last year it was Everton, this year it's Villa (I also like the fact that they have a lot of English players on their team). My support for these teams is pretty weak to be honest, but it gives me someone to pull for on the weekends.

One of my closest friends is from Munich, and I often go over to his father's house to watch footy. They're both Bayern fans so I've adopted them as my German club (although I don't forgive them for Paris '75!).

After reading a history of the Spanish Civil War, I became a Barcelona fan. They weren't affraid to stand up to Franco and many of their supporters - and team President - paid for it with their lives. I hate Real Madrid for the opposite reason (they supported Franco).

In Italy, I kinda like Roma because of a childhood friend that I had but I support Inter because I hate AC Milan (again, my reasons are based on history and politics).

UltraFootyKWC
11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I am a TFC supporter first and foremost.

Ever since they started showing the Premier League games on TV here in Canada, I have supported Liverpool. Not because of any English heritage, just because I liked watching them play, and because they are a team rich with history and success (and because they weren't United :lol:). I am still a fanatical Liverpool supporter, and watch every game that I can, but it's not the same as TFC.

With TFC I feel like I am part of that history, as young as it may be. Being able to get seasons seats right from the team's inception, I feel, like Pigfynn said, that I am part of everything that happens on the pitch, win or lose. And since I am actually from here, I feel a deeper connection to TFC than I do with Liverpool.

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't know, for me...I've waited a very long time for the chance to be a season seat holder for a football club. To have pre match pints, sing songs, have a pie or a chip butty at a ground that felt like mine.

The league is shite, the football is pretty shite too, but I love this club.

It feels like it's mine, which is all I ever wanted.

(single tear runs down face)

lol

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm not making a snarky point here, but as a basic question Shaughno (and all the others who have professed a similar allegiance), have you ever been to old trafford on a regular basis?

If not, what's the connection? Because to me, picking a winning team from abroad and following them for years and years just cannot compare to being at the stadium of your home club, being part of the crowd, etc. I guess the difference is getting a kick out of watching a team win and play well rather than being there to support the team and feeling part of the whole experience?

I've never been to the Allianz or the Olympiastadion in Munich, but that has more to do with fund allocation than anything else (crap I'm talking like an MLS'er now!! :)). I think for me the love for Bayern comes from my father, its a way the two of us can connect. I am at my folks place almost every Saturday morning whenever Gol TV has Bayern playing to sit with him and watch. I call him up after all the games we aren't together for and talk at length about the good and the bad, about who needs to stay, how much we want Van Bommel gone, or for Toni to stay on his feet! I can never have that kind of connection with him with TFC because as much as he watches he really can't get that much into it. So I guess my reasons are more personal than just football related.

It was a good question to ask Hitcho.

Flashman
11-27-2008, 01:45 PM
1. TFC Supporter (first and foremost)

2. Arsenal fan
3. Heart of Midlothian fan

Some interest in: Barcelona, St. Ettiene, Fiorentina

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:47 PM

I've never lived there so if you mean like weeks in a row then, no. That said, I've been to OT a bunch of times and spent too much money in the process.

I didn't just 'pick a winning team'. I was brought up supporting United. My family has always been United supporters (aside from one exiled member ;) ) so I had no choice in the matter.

When I first started actually watching United with intent (meaning when I understood the game), they were a mid table team. I remember Arsenal won the league with Liverpool coming second and we finished somewhere near the middle much like the following year. It wasn't until a few years later that United came as runners up and then the next year English Champions that they actually started becoming dominant again.

So basically, when I started knowing what was going on... United was a mid table team and Liverpool/Arsenal were the cream of the crop. It wasn't until Ferguson got his shit together (after almost being fired) that we started winning.

Roogsy
11-27-2008, 01:47 PM
TFC.

The two Barcelonas come after TFC.

Then a whole bunch of other teams I like to follow.

But TFC is the only one that makes me happy or sad.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know, for me...I've waited a very long time for the chance to be a season seat holder for a football club. To have pre match pints, sing songs, have a pie or a chip butty at a ground that felt like mine.

The league is shite, the football is pretty shite too, but I love this club.

It feels like it's mine, which is all I ever wanted.

(single tear runs down face)

lol

As have I. We've had this discussion before as well. :p I've always dreamed of being a season ticket holder for United... but I doubt I'll ever get that chance. So for me, this is as close as it gets to supporting United in person on a regular basis.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 01:51 PM
As a sidenote. I will never hate a team more than I hate Liverpool. :lol:

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I've never been to the Allianz or the Olympiastadion in Munich, but that has more to do with fund allocation than anything else (crap I'm talking like an MLS'er now!! :)). I think for me the love for Bayern comes from my father, its a way the two of us can connect. I am at my folks place almost every Saturday morning whenever Gol TV has Bayern playing to sit with him and watch. I call him up after all the games we aren't together for and talk at length about the good and the bad, about who needs to stay, how much we want Van Bommel gone, or for Toni to stay on his feet! I can never have that kind of connection with him with TFC because as much as he watches he really can't get that much into it. So I guess my reasons are more personal than just football related.

It was a good question to ask Hitcho.

It was a good answer! ;)

It's interesting in a place like Canada which even now, in 2008, has only got one "top flight" club in the country, but has got so many first, second, third or whatever generation football fans from countries around the world in it. Probably a unique scenario in fact.

In England (my home land) if you live near London and support Liverpool or Man Utd (for example) then you get castigated as being a "plastic fan" and told to support your local club (absent a good reason like living in Liverpool for 30 years and then moving south of course). But here, the same logic just cannot apply, because until two years ago there was no "local option" for most people, absent smaller, non-professional leagues etc.

BTW - that's fucking awesome that you can have that connection with your old man ACSertL, fantastic to hear.

TFC07
11-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Toronto FC no doubt! :canada:

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
It was a good answer! ;)

It's interesting in a place like Canada which even now, in 2008, has only got one "top flight" club in the country, but has got so many first, second, third or whatever generation football fans from countries around the world in it. Probably a unique scenario in fact.

In England (my home land) if you live near London and support Liverpool or Man Utd (for example) then you get castigated as being a "plastic fan" and told to support your local club (absent a good reason like living in Liverpool for 30 years and then moving south of course). But here, the same logic just cannot apply, because until two years ago there was no "local option" for most people, absent smaller, non-professional leagues etc.

BTW - that's fucking awesome that you can have that connection with your old man ACSertL, fantastic to hear.

Oh believe me, I've tried to get him to talk TFC with me...it lasts for about 5 minutes :lol:

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I've never lived there so if you mean like weeks in a row then, no. That said, I've been to OT a bunch of times and spent too much money in the process.

I didn't just 'pick a winning team'. I was brought up supporting United. My family has always been United supporters (aside from one exiled member ;) ) so I had no choice in the matter.

When I first started actually watching United with intent (meaning when I understood the game), they were a mid table team. I remember Arsenal won the league with Liverpool coming second and we finished somewhere near the middle much like the following year. It wasn't until a few years later that United came as runners up and then the next year English Champions that they actually started becoming dominant again.

So basically, when I started knowing what was going on... United was a mid table team and Liverpool/Arsenal were the cream of the crop. It wasn't until Ferguson got his shit together (after almost being fired) that we started winning.

Thanks, that question can get prickly but I appreciate your answer and honesty and it wasn't meant to be a finger point - honest! Like I just said in a post to ASCertL above, it's a unique situation here in that Canada didn't have a league of its own so football fans of whatever generation basically had to turn to a foreign based team to follow. Now that TFC is here, hopefully kids growing up in the area will have their own local team to follow (and other Canadian cities as MLS expands over time) and that will all change.

One thing though - the man utd v lfc rivalry is a local derby thing. I can understand from your answer how you've grown to follow man utd, but you live thousands of miles away, so how can you have grown to hate another team from that distance? See them as rivals yes (which would then include arsenal, chelsea etc as well) but to hate them based on a connection you've never really had? Bit extreme, no? (Again, not pointing fingers, just curious as to why!)

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks, that question can get prickly but I appreciate your answer and honesty and it wasn't meant to be a finger point - honest! Like I just said in a post to ASCertL above, it's a unique situation here in that Canada didn't have a league of its own so football fans of whatever generation basically had to turn to a foreign based team to follow. Now that TFC is here, hopefully kids growing up in the area will have their own local team to follow (and other Canadian cities as MLS expands over time) and that will all change.

One thing though - the man utd v lfc rivalry is a local derby thing. I can understand from your answer how you've grown to follow man utd, but you live thousands of miles away, so how can you have grown to hate another team from that distance? See them as rivals yes (which would then include arsenal, chelsea etc as well) but to hate them based on a connection you've never really had? Bit extreme, no? (Again, not pointing fingers, just curious as to why!)

I've been to Anfield. I've been singled out walking the streets of Liverpool, trust me, there is enough reason. ;)

ACSertL
11-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I don't hold any ill will against any of Bayern's rivals (yes even 1860) or any other Bundesliga team really. Its probably chalked up to geographic location and not actually going to live Bayern games to experience the opposition's fans. That part I get with supporting TFC...and that's why it is a difficult decision for me to say Bayern first and TFC second.

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been to Anfield. I've been singled out walking the streets of Liverpool, trust me, there is enough reason. ;)

Were you wearing a man utd shirt though? because that's like walking into the lion's den and then getting upset that they tried to maul you. They would have thought you were a local rival based on your shirt, so had something behind the badgering. And anyone in Manchester (or parts of it) in an LFC shirt would have go the same in return.

Anfield, IMHO, is one of the best stadiums to go to in the world. The place just drips with history and emotion. Not been to old trafford so cannot comment, but i've been told by neutrals from away games that it's not as good an experience. Of course, BMO Field after Dichio scored knocks them both out of the park! :D:D:D

Sab0tage
11-27-2008, 02:45 PM
1. TFC
2. Reading
3. Gillingham (More follow then anything)

Cashcleaner
11-27-2008, 02:52 PM
#1 - Toronto FC
#2 - Hibernian FC
#3 - Manchester United FC
#4 - UOIT Ridgebacks

I'll still watch matches between teams I don't follow from the EPL and SPL, especially Rangers and Celtic, but TFC gets the most of my attention.

CretanBull
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
1. TFC
2. Reading
3. Gillingham (More follow then anything)

Glutton for punishment, eh? ;)

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I support:

Brit Chat Trafford Park Rangers

Shaughno Sounders FC

Nobodybeatsthewhiz Wanderers

and

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT United FC

Boschmeister
11-27-2008, 03:04 PM
After reading a history of the Spanish Civil War, I became a Barcelona fan. They weren't affraid to stand up to Franco and many of their supporters - and team President - paid for it with their lives. I hate Real Madrid for the opposite reason (they supported Franco).

In Italy, I kinda like Roma because of a childhood friend that I had but I support Inter because I hate AC Milan (again, my reasons are based on history and politics).

Interesting that you support Barcelona over Real since they were seen as Anti-Franco but you support Inter over AC Milan "based on history and politics" - What are you referring to with respect to AC Milan's history and politics??

Toronto Ruffrider
11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
As painful as it sounds, the CMNT is still my team of choice. TFC comes a close second, but I've been cheering for Canada for about 12 years.

egoodwin
11-27-2008, 03:28 PM
obviously i follow TFC

I have tried to follow EPL and all but, it's not as much of a concern as TFC

afterall TFC was what brought me to this sport

Super
11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
1. CMNT (Country before club)
2. Toronto FC (it's my home after all, and at least I can go to the games)
3. Denmark national team (my old home)
4. Aalborg BK (Danish club)
5. EPL, period

I understand people who may rate their old teams (European or otherwise) higher than TFC, but at the end of the day TFC is the only team we can actually support in person. That ranks quite high for me. It's hard to feel truly connected (for me at least) when you can only watch the games on TV.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I support:

Brit Chat Trafford Park Rangers

Shaughno Sounders FC

Nobodybeatsthewhiz Wanderers

and

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT United FC

funny, i support

giles burmese jailbirds AFC

Captain Croatia
11-27-2008, 03:42 PM
1. Toronto FC
2. Hajduk Split
3. Arsenal FC
4. Hamburg

The Kingpin
11-27-2008, 03:42 PM
1. TFC
2. Manchester United
3. Newcastle United
4. Celtic
5. Bayern Munich

:eek: That is all.

joel
11-27-2008, 03:45 PM

ditto!

trane
11-27-2008, 03:46 PM
1. TFC ( as I had said this is my city)
2. AC Milan ( it is the city were part of my hear will always be)
3. Everton FC ( saw one game on TV vs. Tottenham at Goodison and fell in love with the team)

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2008, 03:54 PM
TFC.

The two Barcelonas come after TFC.

Then a whole bunch of other teams I like to follow.

But TFC is the only one that makes me happy or sad.

Two teams in one city? Wha? I mean how?

billyfly
11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
TFC is the team I call home. Isn't that why the team has been successful fan wise- because "we" were looking for something to call our own?

I mean obviously I grew up in a Sporting Clube de Portugal house and with the recent increase of availability to EPL on TV I follow it (MUFC) but really I'd rather go to live action footy with a team with TORONTO written on the shirt then watching a game from a place I've never been to.

Fort York Redcoat
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
As painful as it sounds, the CMNT is still my team of choice. TFC comes a close second, but I've been cheering for Canada for about 12 years.

Lead on Ruffy, lead on!

:canada::canada::canada:

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 04:07 PM
funny, i support

giles burmese jailbirds AFC

I LOVE TORONTO FC!!!

and

Deportivo Randles Universidad Del Equador. .

OH!.. and a little club in the North West of England, Mersey. . that wear red.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM

barcelona FC of barcelona, spain

&

barcelona FC of guayaquil, ecuador

right, roogsy?

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I LOVE TORONTO FC!!!

and

Moore's Old Boys FC of Phuket

trane
11-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I LOVE TORONTO FC!!!

and

Are you telling me that Everton is not the only football club in Mersey?

billyfly
11-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to add that Pigfynn's post is close to what I am saying as well.

Also as ACsertl says's, SCP for me is a great way to connect to my Dad.

I can't partake in the LFC vs MUFC thing b/c I don't share that hate and I'd be lying to myself and others if I faked it.

My thing is TFC.

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I LOVE TORONTO FC!!!

and

Mersey is not a place, it's a river! The area around it is called Merseyside. :rolleyes:

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 04:24 PM
TFC is the team I call home. Isn't that why the team has been successful fan wise- because "we" were looking for something to call our own?

I mean obviously I grew up in a Sporting Clube de Portugal house and with the recent increase of availability to EPL on TV I follow it (MUFC) but really I'd rather go to live action footy with a team with TORONTO written on the shirt then watching a game from a place I've never been to.

I follow them for the same reason, my dad is a Sporting supporter.

trane
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Interesting that you support Barcelona over Real since they were seen as Anti-Franco but you support Inter over AC Milan "based on history and politics" - What are you referring to with respect to AC Milan's history and politics??

Why Milan over Inter, I am just interested. Milan was traditionaly the team of the people of Milano, Inter being having more rightwing upper class support. I am interested as to who to someone who is not Milanese perceives the two teams.

trane
11-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Mersey is not a place, it's a river! The area around it is called Merseyside. :rolleyes:

Well most tofees would like to see LFC in the river.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Well most tofees would like to see LFC in the river.

and vice versa. but shite floats so Everton would be safe.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 04:45 PM
and vice versa. but shite floats so Everton would be safe.

That's sad, because both of ya would be floating with the current. It's like two peas in a pod, but two pieces of shit floating down stream. ;) :lol:

trane
11-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I was going to retort, but then this would be moved to the international section. ;)

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Too late. :lol:

BC101
11-27-2008, 04:54 PM
if I told the truth here people would be blown away. But iam not walking into what I like to call this loaded question.;)

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 04:57 PM
The truth will set you free Brit...C'mon!

tfc_4_ever
11-27-2008, 05:01 PM
LIVERPOOL before anything.

Roogsy
11-27-2008, 05:07 PM

FC Barcelona, in Barcelona Spain.

Barcelona SC in Guayaquil Ecaudor.

I am not referring to any other team in Spain but rather two teams with the same name.

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks ass-tronaught.

Signed:

RPB-ACRITR

RPB against Carlos Ruiz in Toronto Red

BC101
11-27-2008, 05:08 PM
FC Barcelona, in Barcelona Spain.

Barcelona SC in Guayaquil Ecaudor.

I am not referring to any other team in Spain but rather two teams with the same name.

I THINK they played at BMO field once???????????

Roogsy
11-27-2008, 05:08 PM
barcelona FC of barcelona, spain

&

barcelona FC of guayaquil, ecuador

right, roogsy?

Wiz has got it...you da man. :thumbsup:

Roogsy
11-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I THINK they played at BMO field once???????????

This summer. They played Millonarios of Colombia.

I missed the game as I was out of town unfortunately.

Technorgasm
11-27-2008, 05:10 PM
if I told the truth here people would be blown away. But iam not walking into what I like to call this loaded question.;)

Jason has a big Red Lark tattoo on one cheek.

and a big collage of Shankly, Paisly and Rafa on the other.

ADMIT IT YOU MANC BASTARD!

hahaha

King Tut
11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Both. People can't be expected to drop teams they've been following for years as soon as they lay eyes on TFC.

I follow both.

Exactly...Both...(That's why I didn't vote in the poll)

BC101
11-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Jason has a big Red Lark tattoo on one cheek.

and a big collage of Shankly, Paisly and Rafa on the other.

ADMIT IT YOU MANC BASTARD!

hahaha
Nah LOL i'd be happy to let you know in PM but publicly nah people wouldn't understand.

kshep
11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
TFC then Notts Forest.

NF-FC
11-27-2008, 05:15 PM
1- Canada
2- Toronto
3- Tie: Liverpool/Borussia Monchengladbach/Germany
6- Any Champions League under dog (Shaktar, Rosenborg, Steaua, ect)

CretanBull
11-27-2008, 05:30 PM

Why Milan over Inter, I am just interested. Milan was traditionaly the team of the people of Milano, Inter being having more rightwing upper class support. I am interested as to who to someone who is not Milanese perceives the two teams.

I know all about the historical associations that each club have, but a lot of things changed under Berlusconi. At the club level, AC turned its back on and distanced itself from its liberal associations and courted a more right leaning fan base.

At the same time (early 2000 - around the time when I started to pay attention to Italian footy) there was a group of dejected AC fans who formed a group with the intention of infiltrating Inter's fan base (why they didn't fight for their own club and chose to support their historic rivals was never made clear to me). These fans hooked up with a leftist cultural group called Comuna Baires who had connections in Inter. Comuna Baires made contact with left leaning Inter players (especially foreign players) and invited them to political lectures, debates, speeches etc. the new Inter fans used these poltical meetings to grow their fan base. it became an underground political/social/footy organization. There's a documentary from 2001 or so called "Comuna Baires" and it's also covered in a book that I read last year called "Calcio: A History of Italian Football".

Wanting to support these guys and their efforts and not being a fan of Berlusconi, I chose Inter as my Italian team. That doesn't mean I support the nonsense that often comes from the supporters section at Inter games...I support the people who are trying to undermind them :)

zeelaw
11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Tuff question. I wish there was an option for both.
I wont respond but TFC and Liverpool

Hitcho
11-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks ass-tronaught.

Signed:

RPB-ACRITR

RPB against Carlos Ruiz in Toronto Red

Hey, you're the one claiming to be such a big fan, no need to throw names at me for pointing out a simple fact buddy! :D

It's weird to hear Canadians throwing dirt at each other about two English teams though. Especially when they're all members of the same fan forum over here! I know it's seemingly only in jest, but WTF?! :noidea:

Soods
11-27-2008, 06:47 PM
1) Glasgow Rangers
2) TFC
3) Arsenal
4) Anderlecht
5) Aalborg (at least this week....used to be Artmedia Petrzalka) :) :)

e-karam
11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
1. Canada
2.TFC
3.Arsenal

Other teams that i follow
France-whoever can compete with Lyon
Germany-Bremen
Italy-No one realy I just like seeing AC Milan, Inter and Juve do poorly
Scotland-whoever can compete against Rangers and Celtic, since no one can i choose celtic.
Holland-AZ
There's more just don't feel like listing them.

jloome
11-27-2008, 07:30 PM

I don't have a home club. I live in Edmonton. TFC is thousands of miles away, but I've never missed a single minute of a single game; I'd assume there are regular posters here who can't say the same. So that's how someone can love a club that isn't their "home" club -- when the options are severly limited.

I'd also note that I was raised to support Liverpool, but haven't' lived in England since childhood, so they're number two now to TFC.

If a club of size and scope moved into Edmonton? I'd be torn, I suppose. If it was an MLS team, I'd have to keep supporting TFC. They're my team. I spend half my damn day on this board for a reason!

Bloor West FC
11-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Truly TFC. I am still learning some rules, but if it were not for TFC I would still be a part time footy viewer. Look at me now, its the off season and I check this site every day!

Phil
11-27-2008, 07:51 PM
TFC for me. Still have my aliegences in England but overall I support TFC first and foremost.

SilverSamurai
11-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Canadian Mens squad (Club before country)
TFC

and off in a distant land of interest
Mexico team (El Tri) because we'll they're Hispanic and part of North America and Chivas since they have Bimbo on their kit. lol

But I love TFC :)

Erkan16
11-27-2008, 08:28 PM
1. Galatasaray
2. TFC

Wagner
11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
1) TFC
2) CMNT
3) DFB
4) Gunners
5) Bayern
6) St. Pauli

Pigfynn
11-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't have a home club. I live in Edmonton. TFC is thousands of miles away, but I've never missed a single minute of a single game; I'd assume there are regular posters here who can't say the same. So that's how someone can love a club that isn't their "home" club -- when the options are severly limited.

I'd also note that I was raised to support Liverpool, but haven't' lived in England since childhood, so they're number two now to TFC.

If a club of size and scope moved into Edmonton? I'd be torn, I suppose. If it was an MLS team, I'd have to keep supporting TFC. They're my team. I spend half my damn day on this board for a reason!

Well in your case it still makes sense, Edmonton may be thousands of miles away from Toronto but, Toronto is much closer than Liverpool. I'm also not saying that you have to live close to a club to love it. I was only trying to point out that if you go to the matches and interact with fellow supporters, weekly by singing songs, painting banners etc. It's hard to imagine one could do all these things and still feel stronger attachment to a club they can only read about.

The fact that there are TFC supporters like you who live very far away from Toronto is wonderful and I respect that.

jloome
11-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Well in your case it still makes sense, Edmonton may be thousands of miles away from Toronto but, Toronto is much closer than Liverpool. I'm also not saying that you have to live close to a club to love it. I was only trying to point out that if you go to the matches and interact with fellow supporters, weekly by singing songs, painting banners etc. It's hard to imagine one could do all these things and still feel stronger attachment to a club they can only read about.

The fact that there are TFC supporters like you who live very far away from Toronto is wonderful and I respect that.

Maybe the reason is that the same vibe you're talking about here was just as attractive and alluring when they were kids overseas, and it's like a drug: once you're hooked, you're hooked. I'm kinda that way about Liverpool, and will -- could -- never support another team in the prem. Sometimes wish I could, as my family's originally from Teddington, which would make me a Fulham or Tottenham fan. But it would be soooo wrong.

Beach_Red
11-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I was losing interest in sports in general when TFC came to town, so it's the only team for me. I grew up in Canada and really knew nothing about soccer (ha, I've always called it soccer). I grew up in Montreal so when I moved to Toronto I couldn't follow the Leafs or the Blue Jays but I really like the idea of a home team.

And then, soccer is the best game to watch. I can't really understand why it hasn't been bigger in North America but I really think that a few more stadiums like BMO with more people seeing it live and it will be.

I think Edmonton could support an MLS team, actually, and would love to see it someday.

CretanBull
11-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I grew up in Montreal so when I moved to Toronto I couldn't follow the Leafs or the Blue Jays but I really like the idea of a home team.

Me too...I'm a half-assed Raptors fan, but basketball doesn't really inspire an intense connection IMO. I couldn't betray the Habs or the Expos (when they left Montreal, I stopped watching baseball...never to return). TFC is my first Toronto team - after living here for 20 odd years.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Wiz has got it...you da man. :thumbsup:

i bought a barcelona SC (guayaquil) jersey when i was there ;)

Bars92
11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Linfield FC

NF-FC
11-27-2008, 10:48 PM
1. Canada
2.TFC
3.Arsenal

Other teams that i follow
Germany-Bremen
Italy-No one realy I just like seeing AC Milan, Inter and Juve do poorly
Scotland-whoever can compete against Rangers and Celtic, since no one can i choose celtic.
Holland-AZ
There's more just don't feel like listing them.

CHEERS!!! :drinking:

Nomad
11-27-2008, 11:13 PM
When Toronto FC was fist announced and started i had a hard time wrapping my head around supporting more than one club. I finally broke down in the first season and went to a game and had so much fun that i went to every single game after that in the first season. This past season i went on 6 road trips and went to all but 2 games. Now i have seasons and will be to every game thus forth. For me, the appeal really lies in the fact it is live, it is my team, the one i support in the flesh through thick and thin.

So with that i shall have to say:

1. Toronto FC
2. French National Team
3. Lyon

Pshhhh....NO-BODY!!! :dita:

Roogsy
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
i bought a barcelona SC (guayaquil) jersey when i was there ;)

I hate you

David_Oliveira
11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
The way I see it is...

yeah I've been a Sporting CP fan all my life. Up until maybe 2 years back, I didn't miss a game. Now, I miss a game here and there. I still consider myself to be a gigantic fan but deep down inside I think I am a TFC fan first and foremost. I don't go on the Sporting websites as much as I go on this one. I only miss a TFC game if I have a show to play or have a wedding or something and even when I miss a game, I'm on my smartphone on this website trying to findout the score of the game. Sporting was something I was born into. It was my dad's team and he tought me to love them. TFC was my choice and for that reason is my number 1.

RANKING OF MY TEAMS
TFC (since inception)
Sporting (since I can remember)
Man Utd (since 1999)

Shakes McQueen
11-27-2008, 11:28 PM
1. Toronto FC
2. Barca/Arsenal

- Scott

celt-nick
11-27-2008, 11:36 PM
1. Celtic - I have followed for years and have made many good friends following Celtic. For me it's not just about the football but as a proud Canadian it gives me something that makes me feel connected to where my family comes from.

2. TFC - I love having a team in Toronto and love being able to attend all the home games. For now TFC is a very close 2nd.

3. Durham RPB FC - A great bunch of guys! It's pretty cool that Tims and Huns, Liverpool and Man-U supporters (and many others) can all come together Beacause of a common love for TFC!

Strikers
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
For me it's Toronto FC, I used to follow some European Club teams and I enjoy watching
CL games. Now that we have TFC I used to practically live on these boards and still would if it weren't for my new job. I have never followed a European team as closely as I do TFC now.

COME ON YOU REDS!

colman1860
11-27-2008, 11:43 PM
1. Toronto FC
2. Celtic FC
3. Liverpool
4. Watford FC
5 HSV Hamburg
6 Canada
7 Anyone playing Rangers or Man Utd
for a couple of hrs anyways.

HSV Hamburg = Hamburger Sport Verein Hamburg.

Unless you support handball. There's a Handballer Sport Verein Hamburg.

Toronto Ruffrider
11-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Lead on Ruffy, lead on!

:canada::canada::canada:

Hey someone's gotta show the 81st-ranked team some love!:canada:

Big Bruva
11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Liverpool is my main priority lol

colman1860
11-28-2008, 12:13 AM
I've never been to the Allianz or the Olympiastadion in Munich

Don't worry, you're not really missing out. The Olympiastadion was always packed with Bayern fans, so that ruined the event.;) The Allianz Arena is full of tourists and families on a day out, which is arguably worse (see Hoeness rant last year re: bad atmosphere).

Seriously though, I have a deep affection for the Olympiastadion. It's where all my early footy memories take place. Worked there selling match programs for a couple years (first job!). Paid well, and got me a free ticket to every 1860 game. It was never the best stadium for football (the track kept fans far from the action), but it had character (beautiful roof over the Haupttribuene, Olympiaturm in the background).

I don't really like the Allianz Arena that much. As a stadium, it's a work of art. Only been to one game there (first ever, Bayern-Gladbach 3:0), but by all accounts the atmosphere is much worse there than it ever was at the Oly. It seems that Bayern have Leaf-ified their club a little (luxury suites, etc.)...this has turned off many real supporters, and brought in suits and "Arena-Touristen" who go to see and be seen instead (of course not to the same extent as at the ACC).

I should mention that I never gave the AA much of a chance - it is the reason why my club is financially fucked. The Gruenwalder Stadion is where we should be, but our former president (who is now deservedly in jail) got a little too ambitious when 1860 was in Champions League Qualifying in 2001, and went in on the deal with Bayern. Ah well...sour grapes.

colman1860
11-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I don't hold any ill will against any of Bayern's rivals (yes even 1860)

This is the saddest part of having been relegated...most Bayern fans don't hate us as much anymore, because we're not interesting enough to hate.:eek:

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:28 AM
1.Liverpool
2.England
3.TFC
4.Rushden & Diamonds
5.Rangers
6.Man City
7.Deportivo
8.Barnsley
9.Feynoord
10.West Ham
11.Houston Dynamo
12.Southampton

Ok im stopping

colman1860
11-28-2008, 12:29 AM

I believe the politics referred to are about Silvio Berlusconi, who runs AC Milan, the media, and the government.

Oh ya, he's a first rate idiot.

Dre
11-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Growing up as 1st gen Canadian followed German footbal with my parents & their friends, and summers often spent in Germany with family. Still relate to the German team with all both here & abroad (working on turning my parents & siblings to TFC). My dad is from Hamburg, & cousins are still there & supporters (Likely bring one to a game this year when he comes over - he tries to follow TFC from there & I sent him some gear). So at the moment

1. TFC & DFB (Hard to pick one I've supported with family always over the one I love & see here)
2. The Dinosaur that is HSV.
3. CMNT (Following more now, loved going to the game @ BMO, may move up the list if something can be done about the circus that is the CSA)

Lucky Strike
11-28-2008, 08:14 AM
1.Liverpool
2.England
3.TFC
4.Rushden & Diamonds
5.Rangers
6.Man City
7.Deportivo
8.Barnsley
9.Feynoord
10.West Ham
11.Houston Dynamo
12.Southampton

Ok im stopping

R&D, really? Jon Challinor still on the team?

Lucky Strike
11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
So with that i shall have to say:

1. Toronto FC
2. French National Team
3. Lyon

Pshhhh....NO-BODY!!! :dita:

I certainly hope you were a fan before 2001. Otherwise, it's just too easy being a fan of Les Gones, with them winning the league 7 years in a row and all. :rolleyes:

There's talk that Benzema might be sold, despite is 100 million Euro price tag? That's got have you guys shaking in your boots.

P.S. Marseille is coming for you my friend...

*sidetracking over*

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-28-2008, 08:22 AM
TFC first and foremost. This is my hometown team, the other team I support doesn't go out the window but in comparison they're not nearly as important, even though I've supported them all my life. I don't want to be one of those types who's always moaning about TFC not playing high profile teams in friendlies because they're interested in seeing a giant of world football beat up a weaker opponent. I mean, I wouldn't mind TFC playing Udinese because it's a rare chance to see my other team, but I'd be cheering 100% for TFC if they did.

felipe
11-28-2008, 09:31 AM
1. Nottingham Forest
2. TFC
3. Although if Ottawa does get a franchise I could easily see myself becoming a fan of them over TFC; for one thing they're closer to where I live, and 2, I would be able to get season tix. (Still kickin myself for not buying them 2 years ago, but I figured I lived 6 hours away so probably wouldn't see many games - but I ended up catching 6 matches last summer at BMO - and one at Columbus).

Damien
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I guess since I started this thread I should answer....

1) TFC
2) CMNT
3) Chelsea
4) Celtic
5) Arbroath

Parkdale
11-28-2008, 10:01 AM
the only team I actively "support" is TFC.

I root for / am a fan of / like watching Marseilles, but never having been there, I can't say I'm really a 'supporter' of theirs.

trane
11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I believe the politics referred to are about Silvio Berlusconi, who runs AC Milan, the media, and the government.

Oh ya, he's a first rate idiot.

Berlusconi took contorl of AC Milan, to get the polular support in Milano, whose working class was largely supporters of the left, ( Communist/Socialist ect).

Reddevil39
11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
1. Manchester United (30 yrs now since I was little kid)
2. TFC

trane
11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I note that many, noted their support for National teams, clearly I support the Azzurri, and the Canadian National team. But I always take that as a given.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I hate you

lol, awwwwwhhhh....there there big fell'er, love you too.

around quito though there were big pockets of liga de quito support. still though, most of ecuador are barca fans

pubboy
11-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Coventry City FC in England, and TFC in Canada.
Grew up supporting Coventry and going to games since i was 5 years old. Moved to Toronto about 10 years ago.

Redcoe15
11-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I love soccer. But I could never get myself interested in the professional clubs in Europe and elsewhere. I found the whole setup has created a dog-eat-dog mentality where only the super rich clubs had the chance to be successful year in and year out. While those in the middle and the bottom struggle just to be relevant. And when clubs do develop their own players they see them being bought out by these SRCs and then have to start all over again.

While MLS has its share of flaws, I do like the fact that teams can't outspend one another and that intelligence can be rewarded instead of using a checkbook to build your team. But I never had a reason to follow MLS until Toronto FC came on the scene. TFC is the only professional soccer club I cheer on. And all other teams in the league? Dead to me! ESPECIALLY YOU KKKOLUMBUS!!!

Cambridge_Red
11-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Wolves and TFC two different leagues which have no inclusion to each other. I wouldn't say I support either team more than the other.

Joe Kool
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Can we add an additional button to the poll for "both equally" because I don't miss games for any of my favourite teams if I can help it. I guess if you look at where I spend more money then it's obviously TFC but I would say I support all teams I cheer for equally.

SQUIRREL
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
1. TFC and Canada's National team by Far
2. C.S. Maritimo (Liga Sagres...Portuguese) and Portugal's National team (Background)
3. Dinamo Zagreb (croatian) and Croatian National team (fiancee's nationality)

rocker
11-28-2008, 12:29 PM
i was born in Toronto, grew up in the GTA.
I've never felt a connection with overseas teams. I never understood how people got so hyped up about Man U or whatever when they never even set foot in England. (if yer actually from Manchester that's a diff thing).
I like watching the EPL games and other leagues, but i'm not a supporter of those teams. I'll catch a match if I can, but I don't care if I miss it.
TFC on the other hand, is my team. It's the city of my birth... I set foot in the stadium regularly. I support that team cuz of the physical connection to it. I can't do that with only a "mediated" connection (for example supporting Man U when I've only watched them on TV).

invictusTFC
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I think I support both TFC and FC Porto equally. They play in different leagues and their schedules barely cross-over. Its easy to be crazy about both clubs. However, as a pure soccer fan its easy to see that TFC is miles behind Porto in terms of quality. It would be nice to see the day where MLS would be considered on par with some of the biggest leagues in the world but that may never happen.

ACSertL
11-28-2008, 12:51 PM
This is the saddest part of having been relegated...most Bayern fans don't hate us as much anymore, because we're not interesting enough to hate.:eek:

I guess times change. Get back up to the big league and we'll share a pint over a derby ok :)

ACSertL
11-28-2008, 12:53 PM
TFC then Notts Forest.

1. Nottingham Forest
2. TFC
3. Although if Ottawa does get a franchise I could easily see myself becoming a fan of them over TFC; for one thing they're closer to where I live, and 2, I would be able to get season tix. (Still kickin myself for not buying them 2 years ago, but I figured I lived 6 hours away so probably wouldn't see many games - but I ended up catching 6 matches last summer at BMO - and one at Columbus).

I thought I was the only one who cared about Forest on these boards...good to know I'm not alone and I expect to see you guys posting in the Championship thread :D We're not dead yet!

Technorgasm
11-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I was 9 years old (1984) when I was finally introduced to live Football by my father.
He was from Bristol, but did his college and University in Liverpool, and was an avid Liverpool fan.(it was Liverpool's hey day)

At that time we were visiting my grandparents/Aunts/Uncles in the UK every year. I played baseball, and lacross and loved it, I had no cares for Soccer. .AT ALL!

My first Match ever:
Bristol City v ??????? @ Ashton Gate, Bristol
(I think they were recently promoted from the 4th, to the 3rd division?
Meanwhile Bristol Rovers were Champions and moved up to the 2nd division - Boooo)

Second match:
Liverpool v Dinamo Bucarest @ Anfield, Liverpool
(European Semi fucking Final! - they went on to win the trophy that year - I didnt realize until more than a decade later what a huge fixture that was. . all I cared for was the noise, the crowd, the excitment of the goal, and how some dude pissed on my leg)

I was totally excited by the sport, but only loosley followed it so I could talk to my dad about his passion.
It was, and still is a special bond we share, but I was more interested in Baseball and hockey. Not until I was in highschool did I catch the footy bug FULL-ON. USA WORLD CUP 1994. (england did not even qualify, but there was football on TV like, everyday!!)

Then I saw:
(christmas - December 14, 1996) Liverpool 5 - 1 Middlesborough @ Anfield
(this was to be one of the last times I would see my Grandfather alive, I still have the program from that game)

Since then I have followed quite closely, when Collymore and ROBBIE FOWLER were making headlines at the club, and around england.

Then FRANCE WORLD CUP 1998 happened, and I have never, ever missed a game, a result a trade or any activity about LFC.

Then TFC happened, and I am just over the moon!!!
I can be a STH, and FINALLY have my own club, local club, local ground and supporters!!!

Before TFC, I was never really interested in local footy. THANK GOD FOR TFC!!

Hitcho
11-28-2008, 01:59 PM
^^ See, it's posts like this that make you realise just how important it is for MLS to take hold in Canada. I was born and raised in England (only came to live here in 2005 although I'd spent plenty of time in Toronto before that) and football was meat and drink to me. I went to Elm Park to see Reading play and used to go and watch the nearby non-league local side play as well. Just cannot imagine not having a local team to follow, because every small town has a club in the whole of England.

Now that TFC is around, hopefully everyone near enough (and some who aren't) will be able to follow their own club from a really young age. By the time my kids start school I'd hope to see kids in the playground wearing TFC gear and kicking a footie about. And if Canada gets a few more MLS sides up and running in the future, then that can happen in more cities. Throw in the local rivalry thing (well, domestic I suppose, because Vancouver aint exactly local to TFC) and it might really start a fever that catches on.

Once that happens, the number of Canadian plauers coming through in the next generation will also climb sharply. I'm telling you people, TFC is the bedrock of the game's future in Canada. :canada::canada::canada:

Shakes McQueen
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
1.Liverpool
2.England
3.TFC
4.Rushden & Diamonds
5.Rangers
6.Man City
7.Deportivo
8.Barnsley
9.Feynoord
10.West Ham
11.Houston Dynamo
12.Southampton

Ok im stopping

You support three teams (West Ham, Man City, Liverpool) in the same league? Yikes.

I suppose you could also add:

3. QPR
4. Marseille

to my list. I'm not a die-hard for either club, but I certainly follow them.

- Scott

Nomad
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
I certainly hope you were a fan before 2001. Otherwise, it's just too easy being a fan of Les Gones, with them winning the league 7 years in a row and all. :rolleyes:

P.S. Marseille is coming for you my friend...

*sidetracking over*

l'OM pshhhhh :rolleyes:

I certainly hope you are not a fan just because they are the most supported club in France. It's just too easy...

Marseille probably would have kept winning...well, if they never got caught cheating and all. :dita:

Shakes McQueen
11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
l'OM pshhhhh :rolleyes:

I certainly hope you are not a fan just because they are the most supported club in France. It's just too easy...

Marseille probably would have kept winning...well, if they never got caught cheating and all. :dita:

Ohhh, it's a throwdown! :D

- Scott

Sonny Cheeba
11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
i think most people on here support TFC as well as some other team. maybe the question should be.... which end would you be standing in if TFC played one of your other supported teams???

Roogsy
11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
^ I think that was the general purpose of the thread initially but it turned into "which jerseys do you have in your closet"...LOL!

Shakes McQueen
11-28-2008, 05:11 PM
i think most people on here support TFC as well as some other team. maybe the question should be.... which end would you be standing in if TFC played one of your other supported teams???

If it ever happened? TFC, for a couple of reasons.

1) The European clubs I follow are far better, and don't need fans behind them. Both Arsenal and Barcelona would trash the shit out of TFC.

2) It'd be nice to show Barcelona or Arsenal the level of support that Toronto FC has. It'd be almost embarrassing if either club came to our house, and there were more away fans than home ones.

I'd want a loud, passionate atmosphere.

- Scott

Red Patch CA
11-28-2008, 05:17 PM
1. TFC - needs no explanation
2. CMNT - ditto
3. Aberdeen - never seen them play but born there and gives me something to say when asked which European team I support
4. KW Crew - because they let me play with them :)

Sonny Cheeba
11-28-2008, 05:18 PM
1. TFC - needs no explanation
2. CMNT - ditto
3. Sheepshaggers - never seen them play but born there and gives me something to say when asked which European team I support
4. KW Crew - because they let me play with them :)

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

'MOAN ARBROATH!

dag
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I haven't read all six previous pages...

but I think the thread's title should be "Whom..."

J .
11-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Canada games get me to another level than TFC does yet the CSA breaks my heart.

TFC way more than the foreign clubs. But TFC has gotten me watching other Euro games for my fix.

Dunc
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Toronto's #1 for me, Everton a very close second. I supported Everton before Toronto came around, but I've never actually been anywhere other than US and Canada let alone Liverpool, just watched on TV. I haven't actually been to any pro football games other than Toronto, especially as I don't travel much outside of the province.

But still, I feel a huge connection to Everton and always will, even though the outlook right now is utter shit.

In Scotland I support Celtic. Mostly cause I really like their culture and history. I probably dislike Rangers more than I support Celtic. But really I don't have a huge connection with Celtic, it's a bit difficult to follow anything but a premiership team in Canada.

I like RC Lens and FC Sankt Pauli to do well in France and Germany but I don't follow them closely at all.

For national teams, I support Canada. Out of European countries as I don't really have a strong connection to any countries, I support Scotland and Ireland because of ancestry. I like Wales to do well also. And I treat England the same as Liverpool, I follow them closely in wanting them to fail. Liverpool and Everton have a special relationship, a much more sportsmanlike rivalry than utter hatred.

Brooker
11-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Toronto.

The be all and end all.

don't get me wrong cuz i love the CMNT not to mention Stoke but come on..... TFC is ALWAYS on my mind. every single day.

come on you fucking reds.

Big Bruva
11-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Coventry City FC in England, and TFC in Canada.
Grew up supporting Coventry and going to games since i was 5 years old. Moved to Toronto about 10 years ago.

lol Coventry scouted me when i was about 15 and we played a trial match against them, ahhh man i think what if lol

pubboy
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Very difficult question. Think it would have to be the Coventry end, as i've been supporting them for longer even if Big Bruva isnt playing for them ! (I guess they were probably in the Premier league when they scouted you BB - you'd probably get a game nowadays - watch Setanta tonight - Cov Vs Reading) :party:

TFC HSV
12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Other then TFC The other team I support is Hamburg SV

Fiin
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
TFC first and foremost.. then West Ham..

dupont
12-01-2008, 08:50 PM
TFC the most by far. After that I like Newcastle and Benfica.

Davenport
12-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Mark in Ottawa
12-02-2008, 10:26 AM

:smilielol5:

tim90
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
both

Don Julio
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
1. TFC
1A. MCFC

Yeah, and I'm a Leafs fan, too. After years of pain hopefully they've all begun their turnarounds in the last few months!

It's never really a conflict because of the offset seasons so it's tricky for me to prioritize them. I'm getting excited about the EPL season while MLS is finishing up and vice versa - the games aren't even played at the same time of day so I can watch both.

If they ever met in a friendly I'd honestly just enjoy it. If it were the Club World Cup I'd probably have to support TFC as the underdog..

gtaguy
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
i joined tfc becuase i can't be a part of the team where i grew up.
That does not take anything away from the fact that toronto is my city.
To me my choice would be T.O
If ever both of my cities old and new were to battle it out.
Toronto all the way!!!..

YOUr roots are from is one thing.!!
Where YOU are from is another.!!

Technorgasm
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM
^^ See, it's posts like this that make you realise just how important it is for MLS to take hold in Canada. I was born and raised in England (only came to live here in 2005 although I'd spent plenty of time in Toronto before that) and football was meat and drink to me. I went to Elm Park to see Reading play and used to go and watch the nearby non-league local side play as well. Just cannot imagine not having a local team to follow, because every small town has a club in the whole of England.

Now that TFC is around, hopefully everyone near enough (and some who aren't) will be able to follow their own club from a really young age. By the time my kids start school I'd hope to see kids in the playground wearing TFC gear and kicking a footie about. And if Canada gets a few more MLS sides up and running in the future, then that can happen in more cities. Throw in the local rivalry thing (well, domestic I suppose, because Vancouver aint exactly local to TFC) and it might really start a fever that catches on.

Once that happens, the number of Canadian plauers coming through in the next generation will also climb sharply. I'm telling you people, TFC is the bedrock of the game's future in Canada. :canada::canada::canada:

Great post!!

I do feel we are TOTALLY priveledged to have a team here!
Look how many cities in NA dont.
Not only that, but our ground is in the city center, excellent for Transit and visiting fans. (I have not been to a lot of MLS grounds, but they seem to like to put them in the Burbs, like WAAAaay out there. and that sucks balls.)

Considering the trouble the sport has had getting started here, this is the best itteration of pro footy that we have had, and it can only get bigger, better and better quality.

If I could make a request, can they fix the camera placement at the gorunds?
During the broadcasts its seems so clse to the players, you dont get a good view of the pitch. (and please commentatorrs, comment on WHAT is happening!! I dont give a fuck that a guy scored 8 goals in his first year at Utah)

I wonder what the Numbers wil be like after WC 2010?

I hope it explodes!!

and we will be sitting prettyas TFC STH's !!!!

MARCH 21st CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH!!!

dannyd
12-03-2008, 07:17 PM
TFC first & foremost, but DC Utd. since '98 (have STOPPED supporting now) and Crystal Palace since the 80's... but TFC is all I follow now (I only have time for one team lol...)