PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC signs Carl Robinson

DOMIN8R
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Toronto FC got a huge boost for next season yesterday by signing Welsh international midfielder Carl Robinson to a new two-year Major League Soccer deal.
That was the good news.
The bad news was that the Reds lost a valuable piece off their roster when Seattle Sounders picked off New Zealand international midfielder/forward Jarrod Smith in yesterday’s MLS expansion draft.
TFC’s director of soccer Mo Johnston said he was ecstatic at being able to get Robinson’s name on a new contract particularly after the 32-year-old became the object of interest by several English sides in the wake of his player of the year season in Toronto.

More here:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/11/26/7546191.html

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Glad to finally have the Robbo talks settled. :D

London
11-26-2008, 04:24 PM
i think we can recover from the loss of jarrod smith

flatpicker
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
the good news sure out-ways the bad!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Great to hear.

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 04:26 PM
wait.... who?

Boris
11-26-2008, 04:27 PM
phew...the mail man was wrong

flatpicker
TFC had left several key players unprotected — including Dichio and Ricketts — but Johnston said salary cap considerations and senior international status made them unattractive picks for the Sounders.

I didn't think Dichio was left unprotected... hmmm... well, whatever... all's well...

Keyman
Nothing but good news on Robbo. The considerable amount of allocation space we have means that any raise he has received shouldn't really have that much of an impact. Good to know we have such a solid player, and leader with us for next season.

“We want to keep the nucleus of the team together,” Johnson said. “Now it’s just a matter of adding four or five players. We know what we need; someone wide in the midfield with experience, a centre back and a couple of strikers.”

^^^
As for that, well, if Mo is true to his word then I would be very happy.

GabrielHurl
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Excellent fucking news

Stouffville_RPB
phew...the mail man was wrong

Newman!!

Captain Croatia
Good to hear, we got ourselves a quality CDM for another 2 years. Now to sign the DP's!

Cambridge_Red
11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Great news to have Robbo on board for a couple more seasons and as far as Mullet man no more missing blatant tap ins. We came out lucky, I thought Jo Smith was a gonner.

stretchthetruth
11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
thats an excellent development... Robbo is key to our success, i believe...

The Pope
11-26-2008, 04:30 PM
“We want to keep the nucleus of the team together,” Johnson said. “Now it’s just a matter of adding four or five players. We know what we need; someone wide in the midfield with experience, a centre back and a couple of strikers.”

he said the same thing last off season

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
thats an excellent development... Robbo is key to our future successes, i believe...

correction

stretchthetruth
11-26-2008, 04:32 PM
correction

geez... picky picky! :)

SLBuu
11-26-2008, 04:35 PM
pics or it didnt happen

TFCREDNWHITE
11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Excellant NEWS!! If Robbo wants me to keep his wife happy over the next year or so, i will surely volunteer!! I can at least thank robbo in that way!

Brooker
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
our rock is back. go robbo, go!

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Toronto FC got a huge boost for next season yesterday by signing Welsh international midfielder Carl Robinson to a new two-year Major League Soccer deal.
That was the good news.
The bad news was that the Reds lost a valuable piece off their roster when Seattle Sounders picked off New Zealand international midfielder/forward Jarrod Smith in yesterday’s MLS expansion draft.
TFC’s director of soccer Mo Johnston said he was ecstatic at being able to get Robinson’s name on a new contract particularly after the 32-year-old became the object of interest by several English sides in the wake of his player of the year season in Toronto.

More here:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/11/26/7546191.html

Hahaha! I started reading this and went: Oh no! Bad news! Oh you mean Jarrod Smith was lost; that's not bad news...

Jack
11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Good news.

Velvet Elvis
11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm very happy to hear Robbo's been signed for another 2 years :)

BuSaPuNk
11-26-2008, 04:50 PM
This is the best news so far this offseason. Great to hear Robbo is going to be here for a while. Good job MO!!

denime
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Good news postseason just started and we sign a player WOW.What's next DP in January and real grass in April?

Oldtimer
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Must be confusing jarrod with Johann.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I’m pleased that Jarrod Smith got picked. I didn’t feel that he had much of a future with TFC. He seemed a really likeable sort, the team’s Rudy if you will. I assume this is better for him than just getting released.

Eastend
11-26-2008, 04:59 PM
I will take the credit for Robbo staying. I have never put a player's name and number on my jersey until last week when I got the away kit and got Robinson, 33 on it.

You are all welcome.

denime
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Must be confusing jarrod with Johann.

Seattle Sounders picked off New Zealand international midfielder/forward Jarrod Smith in yesterday’s MLS expansion draft.:noidea:

Shakes McQueen
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I think it's funny how the media narrative so far has been what a "big loss" Jarrod Smith is, when a quick look around here reveals most of us to be celebrating.

Hey Seattle, we've got a bit more driftwood laying around, if you want it! Ruiz said he was looking for a lift to the airport!

- Scott

Pigfynn
11-26-2008, 05:05 PM
This is an important tidbit if he got it right:

Johnston’s focus is now on getting a pair of TFC forwards — Danny Dichio and Rohan Ricketts — re-signed for the upcoming season

jloome
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I think it's funny how the media narrative so far has been what a "big loss" Jarrod Smith is, when a quick look around here reveals most of us to be celebrating.

Hey Seattle, we've got a bit more driftwood laying around, if you want it! Ruiz said he was looking for a lift to the airport!

- Scott

Dude, the media "narrative" consists of one quote from the Sun; as someone who has written for the Sun for years, I can guarantee you they're just writing what Mo is saying, and Mo is just saying it to make a certain kiwi feel better.

If you look at Ives and Goff's blogs, the pick has everyone in the league scratching their head.

I still think it was a mistake that they'll never admit to. All else is madness.

James17930
11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
They took Ja Smith instead of Jo Smith.

Wow.

Okay. Well, best of luck to him. At least he'll be a bit closer to home.

MG42
11-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Wow I remember reading that exact same thing in offseason '07, thanks for the memories MoJo :)

trane
11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Ja Smith we can lose. I am glad that they did not take Attakora. I was suprised that he was on the unprotected list.

trane
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow I remember reading that exact same thing in offseason '07, thanks for the memories MoJo :)

Fuck. Groundhog Day? Hope it is not a season long dejavu all over again.

kelzag
11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
http://funkyheart.com/images/stories/Borat/verynice.gif

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I like Robo but how much more than 330k can they pay him and not limit our ability to add new players?

King Tut
11-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Great news to have Robbo on board for a couple more seasons and as far as Mullet man no more missing blatant tap ins. We came out lucky, I thought Jo Smith was a gonner.

+1

Not upset about mullet man at all.
Certainly glad we didn't lose Johann Smith.
and certainly over the moon with th Robbo extension...

Great day :)

Torcida
11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
The article seems to say that Carl will get a increase in salary. I don't quite understand that.. I thought Robbo was already getting the max with bonuses.

TFC_Toon
11-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Good lad Robbo! You are TFC red through and through. I am pleased as well Johann Smith did not get scooped, he's a work in progress but think he has potential. Let's get Ricketts signed as well Mo and then bring in the new blood.

Happy Day.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 06:45 PM
allocations (its how GBS isnt a DP)

pepher
11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Atta boy Carl... welcome back... uh, sort of.

Stugatzo
11-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Exo-fucking-lent!!!!!
Wolves top of the table, Robbo back...good week for Stugatz!

ensco
11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Exo-fucking-lent!!!!!
Wolves top of the table, Robbo back...good week for Stugatz!

Does the Mayor have a view on Jarrod Smith v Johann Smith?

Pachuco
11-26-2008, 07:10 PM
That is huge. Great news all around.

king dave
11-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Good news about Robbo, not so sure about losing Jarrod.
That guy ran his ass off at every game I saw him play, unlike most of his team mates.
He will do well in Seattle. Best of luck J.
By the way, does anyone know New Zealands postion in WC qualifying;).
KD

DOMIN8R
11-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Ran his ass off, yes. Technical and finishing, not so much.

Strikers
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Great to hear Robbo will be back, now I know I'll be getting 33 on the back of the
new jerseys when they come out.

king dave
11-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh, and I guess we already have enough tech/finishing punters with TFC?

New Zealand finished 5-0-1.

* New Zealand won the Oceanian Zone qualifying section and will now play-off against the side who finish fifth in Asian Zone for a place at South Africa 2010.

I know it's no 'group of death', but New Zealand has advanced. Jarrod missed 1 game with NZ, and that was the only game they lost (to Fiji).
Run Forrest, Run!!!!
KD.

RedRum
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
With any raise at all Robbo would represent what? 1 out of every 7 dollars we are allowed to spend under the cap.

I really like what Robbo gives us, but with the low salary cap in place I don't think this is a wise move.

:hide:

giambac
11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
he said the same thing last off season

If he wants to keep the nuclues of the team together, the first thing he should do is can the coach.

giambac
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
This is an important tidbit if he got it right:

Johnston’s focus is now on getting a pair of TFC forwards — Danny Dichio and Rohan Ricketts — re-signed for the upcoming season

Both Ricketts and Dichio were left unprotected. Neither was taken. That tells you everything you need to know:cool:

Wake up and smell the coffee. this team needs a major shakeup staring from the GM, Coach and all the way down to the players.

Hitcho
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Both Ricketts and Dichio were left unprotected. Neither was taken. That tells you everything you need to know:cool:

Wake up and smell the coffee. this team needs a major shakeup staring from the GM, Coach and all the way down to the players.

oh fuck off and "support" the shite bulls you depressing bastard. this thread is entitled Toronto FC signs Carl Robinson (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=278309#post278309), it's not entitled "post your whining, bitching, TFC hating, depressing crap here to try and bring everyone down in the wake of a great day".

have you ever been to a game, giambac? or do you just come on here to post misery and negativity to make yourself feel better?! :rolleyes:

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 09:21 PM

So are you saying that because Seattle didn't take Hartman, Razov, Gaven, Davino, Gallardo, Ashe, Thompson, Mathis, O'Brien.......should I keep going on.......that those players are crap???

You aren't smelling coffee, more like dirt!!!

TOBOR !
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Jarrod Smith... ha ha... the Kiwi experiment is over... verdict : FAIL - well, Boyens wasn't so bad, but still...

JDG
11-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Dichio wasn't picked because he'd likely to retire before going to Seattle, and Ricketts is paid more than they'd want to spend. It's a simple as that.
You're racial bias against the English is every bit as disgusting as the bias that you seem to think there is against Italians.

Since you like nothing about the team from top to bottom, give up, and admit that you can't support this team, and go the fuck away.

Pigfynn
11-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Seriously dude, go.

giambac
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Dichio wasn't picked because he'd likely to retire before going to Seattle, and Ricketts is paid more than they'd want to spend. It's a simple as that.
You're racial bias against the English is every bit as disgusting as the bias that you seem to think there is against Italians.

Since you like nothing about the team from top to bottom, give up, and admit that you can't support this team, and go the fuck away.

Nothing against the English.

I pointe dout a f

giambac
11-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Nothing bagainst bthe English.
I pointed out a fact.
dichio was left unprotected and wasn't taken. Is it because he is to old? is it because he is injury prone?
Ricketts was left unprotected and wasn't taken. was it because he is overpaid?

You tell me.

Daveisonfire
11-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh Carl Robinson
You are the love of my life
Carl Robinson, I'll let you shag my wife
Carl Robinson, I want to be Welsh too!!!!!!!!

:D

king dave
11-26-2008, 09:58 PM
You watch this JS come back and bite us in the ass next year.
Mark my fucking words.
Wed., Nov. 26/08.
KD.

DigzTFC!
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope he got a pay decrease. We have so many issues to address. Piling on the contracts is not a good idea. TFC was a terrible team last year and players should be looking for paycuts not raises. Dichio- 90K, Ricketts 150K, Robinson 250K.

BakaGaijin
11-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Boo.

I don't agree with spending this kind of money on a mediocre defensive mid in this salary capped league.

Big mistake.

Blazer
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Realistically, how many people do you know that have ever taken a pay cut? What makes you think these guys are any different?

Robo doesn’t deserve more money. He’s a defensive stalwart but he doesn’t see the pitch in front of him. No creativity or precision passing, he’s just defensively responsible – which is necessary, but we still need that spark plug middy.

CretanBull
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Boo.

I don't agree with spending this kind of money on a mediocre defensive mid in this salary capped league.

Big mistake.

He's the best player on our team and the best defensive mid in the league.

Hitcho
11-26-2008, 11:35 PM

QFT. We'd be a fucking shambles without Robbo in front of our CBs. Plus Robbo is a model pro to boot. He'd be the first name on my TFC team sheet every week.

Hitcho
11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Nothing bagainst bthe English.
I pointed out a fact.
dichio was left unprotected and wasn't taken. Is it because he is to old? is it because he is injury prone?
Ricketts was left unprotected and wasn't taken. was it because he is overpaid?

You tell me.

We have told you. Told you to sod off. :p

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
I am still waiting a response from Giambac on why Hartman wasn't picked? Razov? Gaven? O'brien?

Torcida
11-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Wake up and smell the coffee. this team needs a major shakeup staring from tthe GM, Coach and all the way down to the players.
Too bad Dichio was protected. You Moron.

Daveisonfire
11-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Too bad Dichio was protected. You Moron.

This is why I can't set giambac to ignore...too funny :lol:

boomcha
11-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Jarrod who? You mean the guy who even during practices didn't know where the net was? Yeah.. going to miss that guy TONNES! Almost as much as he missed the net.

He had heart for us but ultimately didn't do much at all. Next!

Cashcleaner
11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Not good news. Not great news. More like fantastic news. Carl is both dedicated and experienced. I've sorta thought of him as a bit of a linchpin between the older vets and the younger players. Two more years of a quality defencive midfielder sounds like a plan to me.

Erkan16
11-27-2008, 01:10 AM
i dont mind this signing at all.

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I didn't think Dichio was left unprotected... hmmm... well, whatever... all's well...

From what i hear DD was actually left unprotected

London
11-28-2008, 12:36 AM
^^ hey Bruva

is rohan coming back?

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I will take the credit for Robbo staying. I have never put a player's name and number on my jersey until last week when I got the away kit and got Robinson, 33 on it.

You are all welcome.

I think ill take some of that credit coz after the 2nd to last home game i dropped Robbo to his condo and told him i he didn't stay he was a f#$^ing prick lol

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:39 AM
oh fuck off and "support" the shite bulls you depressing bastard. this thread is entitled Toronto FC signs Carl Robinson (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=278309#post278309), it's not entitled "post your whining, bitching, TFC hating, depressing crap here to try and bring everyone down in the wake of a great day".

have you ever been to a game, giambac? or do you just come on here to post misery and negativity to make yourself feel better?! :rolleyes:

Co Signed

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:43 AM

Mayabe 2nd best, the best defensive mid is Joseph

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:45 AM
^^ hey Bruva

is rohan coming back?

Dunno mate, dont even know if he knows

London
11-28-2008, 12:46 AM
tell him we want him back!

Hitcho
11-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Dunno mate, dont even know if he knows

Does he WANT to come back?

Hitcho
11-28-2008, 09:21 AM
I think ill take some of that credit coz after the 2nd to last home game i dropped Robbo to his condo and told him i he didn't stay he was a f#$^ing prick lol

Well, seeing as it worked, we'll let you off. But don't ever be talking to Robbo that way again BB! ;)