PDA

View Full Version : Moving on ...

Ben Knight
11-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Bad news -- and better news:

Due to huge budget cuts at the Globe and Mail, my On Soccer blog has been shut down for the foreseeable future. The decision will be reviewed in the spring, but I'm not going to stand still and keep you all waiting.

I am starting a new, independent blog. I plan to launch in early December.

Lots of soccer, continued heat on the CSA -- and a greater opportunity to write about my other sporting loves, particularly lacrosse.

If anyone knows any possible sponsors for this, please send them along.

Onward! // Ben

P>S>>> Thank you ALL -- ALWAYS! -- for your support.

Nodoubtguy
11-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hear about the Globe and Mail blog, but great to know that your still going to be doing your thing. Your blog postings are always interesting, insightful, and passionate.....Thanks Ben!!

kshep
11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Great news Ben, we need a Canadian version of Ives... looking forward to seeing the new set up in Dec.

Cheers.

The Kingpin
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
See my post in the other thread re: Sponsors... PM Me.

Damien
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
It's good to see you live by your words, Ben... ONWARD! :)

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Onward and upward Ben, as long as it's publised somewhere, we'll read it!

kshep
11-26-2008, 04:35 PM
This is something all the various supporter groups should get behind and help sponsor Ben's new site.

The people supporting the people's writer?

After all if the mainstream media Isn't interested is providing us with meaningful coverage, maybe it's time (at least in an electronic form) that us as fans supported an independent media source instead.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Keep up the great work!
Defo look forward to your blog

billyfly
11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Globe and Mail employs Stephen Brunt. Enough said.

Oldtimer
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
This is something all the various supporter groups should get behind and help sponsor Ben's new site.

After all if the mainstream media Isn't interested is providing us with meaningful coverage, maybe it's time (at least in an electronic form) that us as fans supported an independent media source instead.

You could always have a donate button on the site, paypal supports that option. Lots of people might chip in a few bucks.

jloome
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM

This is exactly what people should do. It's working (at least, it outwardly seems to be) for Soccer by Ives. It will work, more frequently, in other areas of news coverage.

People have been so sold on the concept of the media as one of the forces of darkness (largely by the ACTUAL forces of darkness) over the last decade, that people's expectations are now extraordinarily low. Media companies have taken advantage of that by repeatedly consolidating until there's very little left to consolidate; newsrooms that, 10 years ago, had 40 reporters now have 12. And no, that's not an exagerration. That's actually how diluted the product has become.

Rather than learn from online magazines like Slate or from popular bloggers like Ives that the public will still gravitate to quality, media owners are ruining their own futures by trying instead to diversify into as many "lowest common denominators" as possible.

The net result? A guy who may be an astute writer and reporter is reduced to churning out five-line "flashes" and shooting 2 min videos for websites.

The eventual, natural market reaction to this is exactly what you're describing; as long as there are still people out there intelligent enough to know something that is well-written and crafted from something that is off the cuff garbage, it will begin to show up in other mediums, and eventually traditional media will be forced to revert back to quality -- to set themselves apart from their brethren -- or be reduced to an afterthought.

Billy, you're a dope. Brunt is one of the best sportswriters in country. 'Nuff said.

denime
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM

This is something we should do.I like the idea.

Stouffville_RPB
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I really enjoy reading (and listening when on the FAN) to Ben. He was the only reason to visit the Globe and Mail's website. I'd gladly donate to the new Ben Knight website.

LucaGol
11-26-2008, 08:03 PM
When one door closes, another opens ...

Im sure you'll have plenty of hits on your new blog. G&M shutting down your blog will end up being for the best. Im certain.

tfc
11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
wasn't that RPB live? Is that dead? Bring it back and give it to Ben!

JDG
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Ben, we'll be with you wherever you're published. You have our best interests at heart, and that's something we cannot ignore.
Get your blog set up & you'll get the traffic. I can't be of assistance, but I'm sure there will be some good opportunities for sponsorship coming up.

neuf
11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Sorry to hear that, Ben.. I will echo other's comments in saying that I look forward your articles.. That being said, I look forward to your next project.

billyfly
11-26-2008, 10:29 PM
This is exactly what people should do. It's working (at least, it outwardly seems to be) for Soccer by Ives. It will work, more frequently, in other areas of news coverage.

People have been so sold on the concept of the media as one of the forces of darkness (largely by the ACTUAL forces of darkness) over the last decade, that people's expectations are now extraordinarily low. Media companies have taken advantage of that by repeatedly consolidating until there's very little left to consolidate; newsrooms that, 10 years ago, had 40 reporters now have 12. And no, that's not an exagerration. That's actually how diluted the product has become.

Rather than learn from online magazines like Slate or from popular bloggers like Ives that the public will still gravitate to quality, media owners are ruining their own futures by trying instead to diversify into as many "lowest common denominators" as possible.

The net result? A guy who may be an astute writer and reporter is reduced to churning out five-line "flashes" and shooting 2 min videos for websites.

The eventual, natural market reaction to this is exactly what you're describing; as long as there are still people out there intelligent enough to know something that is well-written and crafted from something that is off the cuff garbage, it will begin to show up in other mediums, and eventually traditional media will be forced to revert back to quality -- to set themselves apart from their brethren -- or be reduced to an afterthought.

Billy, you're a dope. Brunt is one of the best sportswriters in country. 'Nuff said.

Ha Ha, I'm a dope am I? Well I generally don't like sportscasters or reporters (especially in the Toronto market). Although Brunt isn't the worse by far, when he and McCown get going sometimes, I change the dial. If that makes me a dope so be it.

I found Ben to be different and more of like "one of us" so I am upset that they pay Brunt, Shoalts and Blair tons o' money and cant keep Ben on the payroll.

BTW - some of the comments I've seen you make on this board don't exactly endear you to me either but I never called you a name.

CoachGT
11-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Always have looked forward to your blogs, Ben, and will continue to do so. I think this would be a great opportunity for RPB to sponsor a blog!

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Huge budget cuts... There seem to be a lot of those going around lately.

Will definitely check out the new blog...

Flipityflu
11-27-2008, 09:12 AM
sorry to hear that Ben. best of luck in the future. look forward to seeing your new independant.

if you want to get a head start, i wouldn't mind hearing your opinion of Jarrod Smith getting drafted.

scooter
11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
yes that sucks--i was just getting used to reading your insightfull blogs and even signed up for the globe and mail so i could post comments
but Ben onwards and upwards so let us know where you are and we will support you
" if you build it we will come "
your support of the fans and "tell it as it is" must be preserved at all costs
good luck and hope to hear from you soon
tks scott

Stencils
11-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Best of luck with the blog, Ben! I'm sure you won't need luck to get traffic from the canadian soccer faithful, though!

I've got my mouse hovering over the add bookmark button ready and waiting.

BuSaPuNk
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Good luck with the blog Ben! Your articles are always informative, and really resinate with the supporters.

Mark in Ottawa
11-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Best of luck with the blog, Ben! I'm sure you won't need luck to get traffic from the canadian soccer faithful, though!

I've got my mouse hovering over the add bookmark button ready and waiting.
^^^ What he said!

zeelaw
11-27-2008, 12:31 PM
No way! Keep up teh good work tho.

AL-MO
11-27-2008, 03:29 PM
wasn't that RPB live? Is that dead? Bring it back and give it to Ben!

Totally separate. And to be honest RPL wouldn't be the same without Mike Dubrick being involved somehow.

jloome
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Ha Ha, I'm a dope am I? Well I generally don't like sportscasters or reporters (especially in the Toronto market). Although Brunt isn't the worse by far, when he and McCown get going sometimes, I change the dial. If that makes me a dope so be it.

I found Ben to be different and more of like "one of us" so I am upset that they pay Brunt, Shoalts and Blair tons o' money and cant keep Ben on the payroll.

BTW - some of the comments I've seen you make on this board don't exactly endear you to me either but I never called you a name.

Yeah, I can be a prick sometimes. If it was any ol' writer I probably wouldn't have said it, but in this country, Brunt is in a league of his own: accurate, good turn of phrase, balanced, doesn't rip on soccer and is, actually, quite supportive. He shows evidence regularly of being a good reporter, not just a decent writer, and he's head-and-shoulders above mostof the current generation of sports writers in Canada.

greatwhitenorf
11-27-2008, 08:27 PM
So is Big Chin McAllister still the sports ed at the Grope and Flail? We should mass mail him our displeasure. Or better yet, swarm him when he's playing tennis and leave him wrapped in toilet paper.

Ben, good luck with your next venture, wherever and whatever. Your views are always appreciated. Stay the course, stay positive and good things will find you.

jloome
11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I can be a prick sometimes. If it was any ol' writer I probably wouldn't have said it, but in this country, Brunt is in a league of his own: accurate, good turn of phrase, balanced, doesn't rip on soccer and is, actually, quite supportive. He shows evidence regularly of being a good reporter, not just a decent writer, and he's head-and-shoulders above mostof the current generation of sports writers in Canada.

....which is my way of apologizing, billyflynn, although actually inserting the words "I'm sorry" in there somewhere might have been more effective. Sorry. I think a bit "differently" than most people.

billyfly
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
^ Apology accepted. In hindsight I could have made my point much better by using James Deacon than Stephen Brunt. You're right that he's pretty good for a profession that I don't generally like (then how do I know all their names?). I think Brunt's Hamilton Tigercat lovin' got to me.

All's good jloome.