PDA

View Full Version : MLS Waiver draft

Mark in Ottawa
11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081126&content_id=206969&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Seattle Sounders FC have another opportunity to add to their roster this afternoon in the waiver draft. All MLS teams were required to submit their waiver lists by 2:30 p.m. ET and the draft takes place at 4 p.m. ET. Players selected in the Waiver Draft will be made public after the draft has concluded.

So who does TFC have on the waiver wire?

H Bomb
11-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Paul....Who we got on the Waiver list? Ruiz? Freeman?

Nodoubtguy
11-26-2008, 03:11 PM
also, can we pick someone up during this??

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Prob Ruiz unless someone wants him.
We dont have to participate if we dont want, i dont htink.
But i would imagine fringe players like Melo or something would be on there to accomodate the 24 player no Developmental player thing

BuSaPuNk
Is the wavier list the remaining unprotected players from the expansion draft??

Mark in Ottawa
Sorry for my ignorance but how does this waiver draft work?
is it a pick one drop one kinda deal?

A submit lists then go round and round picking and dropping till no team makes a selection?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
nah i think its players that can be waived (ie contracts etc) dont think JoSmith/ricketts etc are up for grabs or anything

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
It's players you don't intend to keep, or cannot keep due to roster restrictions etc.

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:19 PM
It's like the Superdraft but of players that are currently unwanted by their clubs: a garage sale of sorts. Teams can exchange their junk and without the waiver draft, these players might have left MLs altogether. The waiver draft is a way to keep MLS players in MLS.

BuSaPuNk
11-26-2008, 03:21 PM
A little talk around the garage sale:
MLS Team: "How much for Ruiz?"
Mo: "God I'll give you $10,000 if you take him!!"

Stryker
players that are currently unwanted by their clubs: a garage sale of sorts

Ruiz fits this bill to a tee.

edit - Oh sorry I thought you said garbage.

Mark in Ottawa
It's players you don't intend to keep
Like Ruiz for example?

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Like Ruiz for example?

Exactly.

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Ruiz fits this bill to a tee.

edit - Oh sorry I thought you said garbage.

Well...you DO find garbage at a garage sale...

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
this could be one awesome week for the club.

it's amazing what happens when Mo drinks coffee instead of beer.

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 03:27 PM
this could be one awesome week for the club.

it's amazing what happens when Mo drinks coffee instead of beer.

Or when people stop harping on him for a second and realize, he's damn good at what he does... as long as it doesn't involve him being behind the bench. ;)

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Or when people stop harping on him for a second and realize, he's damn good at what he does... as long as it doesn't involve him being behind the bench. ;)

Mo knows the league, its players, and how things work.

Was Mo there when Parke was drafted?? Maybe Mo can convince him to stay in MLS.

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:31 PM

That's quotable! I really hope people remember this phrase during the dead of winter while we're waiting on signing news (not to imply that there will be a drought).

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 03:33 PM
as long as it doesn't involve him being behind the bench.

OR interacting with the players, fans or even members of his own staff.

Please keep the man locked up somewhere and release him when it's trader time.

Nodoubtguy
11-26-2008, 03:37 PM
OR interacting with the players, fans or even members of his own staff.

Please keep the man locked up somewhere and release him when it's trader time.

should we add a 2nd cage on top of the west stands.

TFC OZZ
11-26-2008, 03:39 PM

If we had lost Johann Smith in the expansion draft, I think there would be a different attitude towards Mo at the moment; as far as I'm concerned we're very fortunate he wasn't taken.

With regards to the Waiver draft, I'm assuming it'll be Freeman and Ruiz being given up on our side.

Hopefully we can grab a good player who's out of favor at his current club in the waiver draft.

Nodoubtguy
11-26-2008, 03:40 PM
didn't Freeman go to IK Start??

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
If we had lost Johann Smith in the expansion draft, I think there would be a different attitude towards Mo at the moment; as far as I'm concerned we're very fortunate he wasn't taken.

With regards to the Waiver draft, I'm assuming it'll be Freeman and Ruiz being given up on our side.

Hopefully we can grab a good player who's out of favor at his current club in the waiver draft.

I want Terry Cooke: a goal and 12 assists this past season with a crappy Colorado team! I don't know if he on the waiver list though... It's just wishful thinking.

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 03:41 PM

He is gone, but his contract with MLS is only up at the end of the year, so he is still part of TFC til then.

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 03:44 PM
IF (keyword is IF) Mo was able to get Parke from Seattle, how much you think it will take to keep him in MLS??

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM

Yes, but his contract doesn't kick in until 1 January. Which means he's still technically a TFC player which is why he was left unprotected and will likely be on the waiver list.

jloome
11-26-2008, 03:47 PM
That's quotable! I really hope people remember this phrase during the dead of winter while we're waiting on signing news (not to imply that there will be a drought).

And I hope that you and Shaugno remember it when we're in training and still don't have a competitive roster.

Sorry, but after two losing seasons and a roster full of players that weren't actually here for half the season, the jury is still very much out on Mojo.

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 03:50 PM
And I hope that you and Shaugno remember it when we're in training and still don't have a competitive roster.

Sorry, but after two losing seasons and a roster full of players that weren't actually here for half the season, the jury is still very much out on Mojo.

Oh I'd be very glad to acknowledge that Mo is no good if/when it comes to that. In fact, I almost did last off-season until Robert, Guevara and Ricketts were signed. Robert didn't pan out in the end but at first (before the laziness set in and other teams figured he has no right leg), we was very good.

Trouble is how do you define a competitive roster...

Oldtimer
11-26-2008, 03:51 PM

I doubt it's just being 'lucky," I feel sure that Mo could read reasonably well what they would want. It's one of his strengths, which he has used in the past to "rob" teams blind. :)

Beach_Red
11-26-2008, 03:56 PM

Until this league lines up with the rest of the soccer world what happens when we're 'in training' isn't all that important. Sure, the jury is out on Mo, but so far he understand the MLS and its weird rules and transfer windows - a lot of guys here won't be happy if we finish in 6th place and sneak into the playoffs, but then we could make a good run and end up in the championship game, that's the way this league works.

There's no point trying to manage for a league with a different structure. Setting a roster while the rest of the teams are still adding and improving well into the summer isn't a very good idea.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Lets hope our roster is full or almost full for when the training camp opens. then try and add the 1 or 2 missing pieces.

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Only one pickup it seems.........Petke by NYRB

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/petke-set-to-return-to-new-york.html#more

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have a list of players from all teams that were on waivers?

DOMIN8R
11-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I've only seen who NY Energy Drink waived. SI says "The Red Bulls also announced that they waived defender Gabriel Cichero, midfielder Gordon Kljestan and forward Sainey Touray."

Lucky Strike
11-28-2008, 11:49 AM
We still don't know who TFC waived (if anyone)?

Nuvinho
11-28-2008, 11:57 AM
only a few teams seemed to have waived players. I saw some more players who may have been waived on MLSR.

Oldtimer
11-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Looks like TFC is keeping the roster.

That doesn't necessarily mean Ruiz, whose contract has expired.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
thats also barring some trades that have been mentioned

Damien
11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
^ Oss, post some trades on here bro :D

Lucky Strike
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
only a few teams seemed to have waived players. I saw some more players who may have been waived on MLSR.

Yeah same here. Nothing that TFC would really be interested in. But you HAVE to figure some players will be waived at some point.

rocker
11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
the funny thing is, Ives said he heard Jarrod was gonna be released after the expansion draft. that whole situation still makes me laugh.

Steve
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
the funny thing is, Ives said he heard Jarrod was gonna be released after the expansion draft. that whole situation still makes me laugh.

Where? I heard Ives mention it in passing, but never as something that was going to happen. If it does though, they obviously picked the wrong Smith. Maybe that was Mo's strategy? Throw two J. Smiths at them and hope they get confused.

NF-FC
11-28-2008, 01:20 PM
^ if that is what actually happened then Seattle's scouts committed epic fail

Oldtimer
11-28-2008, 01:45 PM
^ if that is what actually happened then Seattle's scouts committed epic fail

Ives comment:

Jarrod Smith (Toronto FC)- There was absolutely no bigger mistake in the expansion draft than taking Smith. Why? Well, for one he was the wrong Smith to take from Toronto (Johann Smith was the right one). Secondly, sources tell me TFC had every intention of waiving Jarrod Smith anyway so Seattle essentially wasted one of its 10 picks on a player it could have claimed off waivers a few hours later. Third, after taking Jaqua did Seattle really need another big forward, particularly one who proved largely ineffective in Toronto?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/a-closer-look-at-the-mls-expansion-draft.html#more

Yep. It's an EPIC FAIL!

Damien
11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Wait til he shows up to camp and the staff looks around for a black guy with the last name Smith :D