PDA

View Full Version : Expansion draft

Pages : 1 [2]

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
i see Dunny as the american Poz, great off the bench but never a starter

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Not all picks are going to work out. But should there be some question as to why Robert started strong and gave up? I know we all hate Cunningham but he did better once he left. Ruiz never even bothered, why not?

Is any of this coaching?

defended Cunny right to to a few games before he was shipped out,his last couple of games here his work ethic was shite and played like shite
so im glad hes gone. Robert was a good attempt but just didnt work out,
he never looked comfortable on the plastic grass though. Ruiz?? wont be missed next season.

Nuvinho
11-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Ives take on the expansion draft

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/a-closer-look-at-the-mls-expansion-draft.html

Jarrod Smith (Toronto FC)- There was absolutely no bigger mistake in the expansion draft than taking Smith. Why? Well, for one he was the wrong Smith to take from Toronto (Johann Smith was the right one). Secondly, sources tell me TFC had every intention of waiving Jarrod Smith anyway so Seattle essentially wasted one of its 10 picks on a player it could have claimed off waivers a few hours later. Third, after taking Jaqua did Seattle really need another big forward, particularly one who proved largely ineffective in Toronto?

rocker
11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
OK, so Ives confirms the idea that Seattle are dummies as opposed to my suggestion that maybe Mo had some deal worked out with Seattle. TFC were gonna waive Jarrod and then Seattle takes him?? hahah.

Lucky Strike
11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
^Many people are still scratching their heads raw on this one...

Yohan
11-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm seriously wondering if seattle head office made a mistake in names or they got confused

Beach_Red
11-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm seriously wondering if seattle head office made a mistake in names or they got confused

It has happened before. In 1988 the Calgary Flames drafted a dead guy:

1988 Draft
Round # 7
147 Calgary Stefan Nilsson HV71 Jonkoping (SEL)
Born Feb 19 1968
He passed away in a motor vehicle accident 3 months prior to the draft.
Calgary didn't have a full time scout in Sweden/ Finland
at that time. They didn't know until after the draft that this had happened. Several teams who did have european scouts at that time new full well what they had done.
This is the kid whom the flames wanted:
Picked by Vancouver same draft year.

1988 Draft
Round # 12
233 Vancouver Stefan Nilsson C Troja (Sweden)
Center Born Dec 9 1968
Calgary disputed Vancouvers pick but it was overturned by the NHL becuase the Flames should have utilized proper methods of finding the right information. They made an assumption and drafted the wrong player same name, right kid wrong team.

jloome
11-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I suspect Seattle knew who they were getting. I don't think Jarrod Smith, as generally useless to us as he has been, is a bad player. He's laughably nowhere neare Jo Smith's POTENTIAL as a winger.

But Jarrod Smith was a target forward coming out of school; he only actually got a chance to play that position for us a couple of times, and scored on a header. One of the few times he played straight-up as a forward in preseason, he also scored on a header.

His runs were largely effective, he held the ball up well. He doesn't look abundantly skilled, but he may turn out to be a key role player type, or a monstrous scorer of headers. Given that that was Mo's stock in trade (despite his height) you'd think he'd have noticed if Jarrod had the potential, but maybe not.

In other words, they could've done worse.

Beach_Red
11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
His runs were largely effective, he held the ball up well. He doesn't look abundantly skilled, but he may turn out to be a key role player type, or a monstrous scorer of headers. Given that that was Mo's stock in trade (despite his height) you'd think he'd have noticed if Jarrod had the potential, but maybe not.

In other words, they could've done worse.

Yes, I suspect you're right and they got who they wanted. I seem to remember another time a player with a similar name was drafted by mstake - I think was also the NHL - but I can't find anything about it.

We did suffer a lot last year from guys missing for international games, so maybe that was a factor in leaving Jarrod unprotected. Jarrod is probably happy, Seattle's a lot closer to home and he may see more playing time.

Unlikely that was a factor in leaving him unprotected, though ;).

jloome
11-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes, I suspect you're right and they got who they wanted. I seem to remember another time a player with a similar name was drafted by mstake - I think was also the NHL - but I can't find anything about it.

We did suffer a lot last year from guys missing for international games, so maybe that was a factor in leaving Jarrod unprotected. Jarrod is probably happy, Seattle's a lot closer to home and he may see more playing time.

Unlikely that was a factor in leaving him unprotected, though ;).

That hockey thing is on another thread here somewhere....

wzhxvy
11-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Jarrod Smith is a hamster...comes in...put his head down and runs around aimlessly...I can not believe they picked him. I do not get it...surely a mistake...just must be.

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:02 AM
The funny thing is quite a few of the players had no idea about who was protected and who was not lol

Spoke to my cuz and he had no idea till i told him and i spoke to Johann last night and he had no idea what it was all about till i broke it down lol

James17930
11-28-2008, 12:04 AM
The funny thing is quite a few of the players had no idea about who was protected and who was not lol

Spoke to my cuz and he had no idea till i told him and i spoke to Johann last night and he had no idea what it was all about till i broke it down lol

Were they pissed off?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-28-2008, 12:17 AM
prob not, prob realized they more or less didnt have a choice in the matter and that it wasnt personal

rocker
11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
maybe they feel sad knowing they were unwanted ;)

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Were they pissed off?

Nah they seemed fine, Ro was asking questions and Johann didn't seem to mind but maybe coz he asked who left and i told him so he obviously knew it was not him

Big Bruva
11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
maybe they feel sad knowing they were unwanted ;)

Nah not at all

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
11-28-2008, 01:15 AM
all i gotta say is all the best to Jarrod Smith !!! class guy all the best!!!!!!

ensco
11-28-2008, 07:55 AM

I guess these guys have other things going on in their lives....unlike the rest of us!