PDA

View Full Version : G. Dobson -Dropped the ball?

denime
11-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Dropped the ball?

LOS ANGELES -- For Canadian soccer people here in Southern California this weekend, the focus was not on the MLS Cup final (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/11/23/MLS-Cup-0/), but rather on expansion, and more specifically the Montreal implosion (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/11/21/mls_bid/).

Vancouver front man Jeff Mallett was at the game while Cyril Leeder of the Ottawa group toured the stadium earlier in the day, with his stadium design notebook in hand hoping to pick up a few ideas. By all accounts both the Vancouver and Ottawa delegations blew away the expansion committee with the quality of their applications.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2008/11/24/dobson_mls_expansion/)

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I would imagine this year was one of hte best for growth in Montreal soccer history. Missing out on extortion is still a bit of a disappointment but Montreal fans must be looking forward to next years V cup already.

flatpicker
11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
hmmmm.... Possibly 4 new teams eh? Perhaps both Ottawa and Vancouver will get in... but spaced out over a couple of years?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 11:16 AM
hmmmm.... Possibly 4 new teams eh? Perhaps both Ottawa and Vancouver will get in... but spaced out over a couple of years?

thats what im hoping for..maybe they will both get in for 2011?
Miamia is not a gimme even with Barcas conection, Portland has No SSS
planned yet, Atlanta..pass on that one for now...St Louis...No plan, no mega rich owners no hope...so Vancouver and Ottawa are sitting pretty right now.

rocker
11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
if they are gonna pick 4 now, Vanny is a lock. I think Ottawa and Atlanta would be left out.

Portland/Seattle/Vanny would be a nice threesome for the league.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I think Vancouver looks good but isnt a lock.
Ottawa is never going to happen, not with those other US potential teams

bee dubya
11-25-2008, 02:26 PM
^ if the league is pissed enough with Montreal, they might decide to go ahead with Ottawa and then Montreal's chances of ever getting a team will be near zero.

I think the 4 teams would be Vancouver, Miami, St. Louis and either Ottawa or Atlanta. I'd like to see Portland in there too because from what I've seen of their fans, that's exactly the type of market MLS should be after but I think the stadium issues might hold them back.

rocker
11-25-2008, 02:42 PM
I think Vancouver looks good but isnt a lock.

Like I said, if they pick 4 of 6 now, Vanny is a lock. If they only pick 2 now and pick 2 in a few years, I change my opinion.

Ottawa to me is still the worst bid in most factors, particularly market size and being in Canada.
So that means you really have only 5 teams fighting for 4 spots -- if they pick the 4 now. I don't see both Atlanta and St. Louis getting in at this point. Given St. Louis track record on wanting to be in the league and the stadium plan ready to roll, I think they'd be ahead of Atlanta.

Garber would be smarter tho to just pick 2 now. Then let the rest retool for the next expansion period, when NY2 may be ready to go and economics might be better.

scooter
11-25-2008, 03:30 PM
ottawa is also a hell of a lot closer for road trips for us

Redcoe15
11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Garber would be smarter tho to just pick 2 now. Then let the rest retool for the next expansion period, when NY2 may be ready to go and economics might be better.
That's why I don't see MLS expanding beyond the two slots they've already allocated, contrary to what Gerry Dobson says. They badly want a second team in New York and were obviously dissapointed when New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon said he wasn't ready yet. When he does, you can bet dollars to doughnuts that's when MLS announces its next expansion plans.