PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Cooper

J .
11-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Rumours are that FC Dallas will be looking to move Cooper. Word is he wants out of Dallas and is eying Europe, but another season in MLS is not out of the question. Perhaps he could stay for DP type money.

Would anyone else out there consider picking this guy up?

I'd trade two first round picks for this proven scorer and I would pay him DP money until 2010. Cooper and Barrett would tear up the league. Cooper would create a lot of space and Barrett would thrive. Guevara would get more time on the ball and I think rack up assists setting up Cooper and Barrett.

It is not a sexy choice of some foreign international, but the guy can play in the league, he is a proven commodity, is not ancient, not injury prone and has years of scoring left in him. He would to hold up the ball for Guevara but can also finish. If we improved our wing play and with Guevara and Barrett supporting him, he could win a Golden Boot.

Heck, if we took our current starting XI and added Cooper I say we make the playoffs and win a round.

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 02:17 AM
I've hated cooper since the beginning for a reason. Hes really good and doesnt play for TFC. I think he would be a very good first DP for TFC

Yohan
11-25-2008, 02:30 AM
i'd bet dallas would want an arm and a leg for cooper. 2 first rounders will not cut it.

probably would have to throw in guevara and wynne plus draft picks

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 02:34 AM
allocation money?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Dunno how we would sign him but id take him as a DP in a second and think he'd be really really effective

ensco
11-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Oh man what a player.

I think the whole single entity system is structured to discourage guys from moving around to increase salaries, especially for home grown talent. It does happen (Gomez to Colorado) but the fundamental idea is that, when the player is worth more, MLS sells him on.

Can't see anything like this for a younger player, as it would lead to rapid salary inflation for younger home-grown stars.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 08:12 AM
i'd bet dallas would want an arm and a leg for cooper. 2 first rounders will not cut it.

As much as Cooper is a fantastic player, that would be way too much, IMO.

woolly
11-25-2008, 09:27 AM

If he wants out then Dallas would not be in such a great position. Yeah, I'd pay DP money for Cooper; He's as good or better than some of the other candidates we've floated on this board.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I'd take him but he should go to Europe.

Hitcho
11-25-2008, 09:36 AM
:cuss::mad5: he scored that penalty which basically put us out the play offs :mad5::cuss:

I'd take him, but I wouldn't give up any of our players for him because he'll probably want out soon and then we're worse off. We need to add to the squad, not dismantle it.

Having said that, Guevara out and DeRo and Cooper in could be interesting... :D

SLBuu
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
i think he'd be a great signing for us but thats not saying i think it would happen. He will most likely go to europe, there has already been interest coming from england but Dallas blocked the move.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Cooper is a solid striker. He was apart of the Manchester United reserves for 3 years but didn't really get much time, even when he was out on loan. At 24 he's only going to get better and he's already one of the best strikers in the league. If we could keep him from going to Europe for a few years he would be well worth whatever we could exchange for him.

TFC OZZ
11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I have been saying for a long time that we have to sign Cooper. Even if we get him for a season, I believe that we could sell him and make a profit, especially because of Mo's connections in the UK.

I think he's a wonderfully magnificent player, great work ethic, and from all reports a good player to play with. I would be willing to part with 2 first rounders, and a major allocation/Ibrahim for him; as well as pay him DP money. I think that's more than a fair deal if he wants out of dallas.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 09:45 AM
It doesn't take Mo to sell Cooper to the UK, they already know what he can and can't do. ;)

Canadian Blue
11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Cooper is a solid striker. He was apart of the Manchester United reserves for 3 years but didn't really get much time, even when he was out on loan. At 24 he's only going to get better and he's already one of the best strikers in the league. If we could keep him from going to Europe for a few years he would be well worth whatever we could exchange for him.

Agreed.......except I would be careful how much we gave away

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I have been saying for a long time that we have to sign Cooper. Even if we get him for a season, I believe that we could sell him and make a profit, especially because of Mo's connections in the UK.

I think he's a wonderfully magnificent player, great work ethic, and from all reports a good player to play with. I would be willing to part with 2 first rounders, and a major allocation/Ibrahim for him; as well as pay him DP money. I think that's more than a fair deal if he wants out of dallas.

woah woah woah.... Ibby? not. Allocation money, sure, but ibby's got way too good a future comming to trade him off for one really good player for a single season.

trane
11-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Cooper is one of the few MLS players whose quality I realy like. I would be excited about this.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 11:25 AM
woah woah woah.... Ibby? not. Allocation money, sure, but ibby's got way too good a future comming to trade him off for one really good player for a single season.

Ibby asked to be traded FROM Dallas to be closer to his family. That would just be back to square 1 for Ibby.

EastYork
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't settle for Cooper for our DP. We were promised a world class DP!

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM

He may not be world class, but its hard to argue with his MLS numbers. Throw him up front with barrett and geuvara.... top notch attacking

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Agreed.......except I would be careful how much we gave away

Oh for sure, I'm just saying that basically anyone on our team is expendable and for a player of Cooper's calibre, I wouldn't be opposed to almost any trade within reason.

The guy is 24, he played for Man United reserves, he scored 11 goals in his first MLS season, 18 last season. Much like Barrett, he has the potential to be better than he is except Cooper is lightyears ahead of Barrett in terms of skill and knowledge of the game.

I can't see him staying in the MLS much longer than 2 years to be honest.

Would I break the bank for Cooper as a DP? Depends really on what we would have to give up to get him.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
also i gotta say i like the idea of having a North American DP, obviously a canadian one wouldbe amazing but prob not possible at this time

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
^^ It keeps your options open on the International front that's for sure. Also, I bet MLSE would love to only pay a small amount to a DP compared to $1M+ for a DP from abroad.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 12:17 PM
especially at that age with that much success/promise

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Exactly. A DP salary would keep him in the MLS for at least a few years anyway. I'm positive by the time Cooper hits 27, he'll be in Europe.

Keyman
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I would love to have Cooper, but I don't know whether he would be the best candidate for our DP. Now I'm just guessing here, but we will most likely be able to acquire someone of Coooper's calibre from overseas without giving up anything. In order to add Cooper to our team, we will be forced to part with far too much. Basically, we can either add a Cooper-like player without giving up anything, or add Cooper himself and give up a hell of a lot. I would personally pick that scenario where we give up nothing.

However, this is all assuming that we can bring in an 18 goal scorer from overseas, which I believe we can.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Dunno that we can find one at his age that can do what he does from Europe at a reasonable price to come play in Toronto in the MLS.
Hopefully im wrong.
I dont think we will be signing cooper anyways (which is unfortunate) but he would be a great signing

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I really don't think there's much of a chance will you find a player for the same salary, same age and skill set that will come over from Europe IMO.

trane
11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
^ Agree 100%, he has real quality, there are many lower level first division teams in Europe in wich Cooper would see serious playing time if not start. It is highly unlikely that a striker of his quality and age, would make his way to the MLS.

Yohan
11-25-2008, 05:55 PM
As much as Cooper is a fantastic player, that would be way too much, IMO.
personally i'd like to see who the DP signing before going after Cooper, but a guy who can put in the ball in the net like Cooper in MLS doesn't come that often.

I'd trade something like Barrett, Guevara plus draft picks for Cooper

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Nah, Barrett, Guevara and Draft picks is too much, youd gut the team for one player.
Thats what theyd ask for tho and thas why we wont sign him

King Tut
11-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Thank you...Well Said :)

No to Kenny Cooper. He's off to Europe soon. We want the World Class DP that we were promised. I'd like to see a huge star (Champions League, World Cup experience) that still has something to offer....Cooper just doesn't cut it for DP..

Yohan
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Nah, Barrett, Guevara and Draft picks is too much, youd gut the team for one player.
Thats what theyd ask for tho and thas why we wont sign him
I think draft picks really dont mean anything, considering the dynamic of the league is changing IMO.
I think, at least for TFC, we will be hunting for unsigned prospects, esp Cdn ones. Lots of Yanks in the drafts. not enough notable Canadians.
Plus draft picks are more of a miss than a hit.

Cooper replaces Barrett. Guevara, I also think is replaceable. Plus Guevara is getting up there age wise

Marco2K
11-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Thank you...Well Said :)

No to Kenny Cooper. He's off to Europe soon. We want the World Class DP that we were promised. I'd like to see a huge star (Champions League, World Cup experience) that still has something to offer....Cooper just doesn't cut it for DP..

Are you kidding buddy?

Champions league caliber player??

Cooper would be a great pick up. Imagine him and barett.

King Tut
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Are you kidding buddy?

Champions league caliber player??

Cooper would be a great pick up. Imagine him and barett.

I said Champions League experience. Basically if they said they'll bring us a once World XI player as a DP, then it should be someone who represented their country in a world cup, played in the champions league at one point in time, or both. What's fucking hard to believe about that? Didn't Seattle just sign a fucking guy who played for Arsenal (CL) and Sweden (WC), before their inaugural season? Didn't Chicago get Blanco? I don't recall any of these teams settling for peanuts. If we weren't promised a World XI player, then I wouldn't have such high expectations. Getting a player in his early thirties that was World class at one point isn't impossible or madness as you make it out to be. With the suitable and respectable offer, everything is possible. If MLSE weren't serious about this "World XI" DP, then they shouldn't have made these statements...

Cooper would be a great pick up, but not for the "World XI" DP we were promised. You might have lower expectations and settle for less, but when we are promised a "World XI" player that we have had to keep waiting for, then I expect him to be someone huge.

If they can bring cooper for less than DP, then I wouldn't say no. I am fully against Kenny Cooper coming in as a DP and I sure am glad that this thread is just speculation and none of this madness will happen.

Keyman
11-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I really don't think there's much of a chance will you find a player for the same salary, same age and skill set that will come over from Europe IMO.
Salary should not matter. An extra million on a European based DP isn't going to break a deal. Money should not be an issue. His age does not really matter, considering the fact that he is most likely off to Europe in two years. Plus, I'm 100% sure that we can find a player who is more skilled than Cooper as our DP.

trane
11-25-2008, 07:46 PM
I said Champions League experience. Basically if they said they'll bring us a once World XI player as a DP, then it should be someone who represented their country in a world cup, played in the champions league at one point in time, or both. What's fucking hard to believe about that? Didn't Seattle just sign a fucking guy who played for Arsenal (CL) and Sweden (WC), before their inaugural season? Didn't Chicago get Blanco? I don't recall any of these teams settling for peanuts. If we weren't promised a World XI player, then I wouldn't have such high expectations. Getting a player in his early thirties that was World class at one point isn't impossible or madness as you make it out to be. With the suitable and respectable offer, everything is possible. If MLSE weren't serious about this "World XI" DP, then they shouldn't have made these statements...

Cooper would be a great pick up, but not for the "World XI" DP we were promised. You might have lower expectations and settle for less, but when we are promised a "World XI" player that we have had to keep waiting for, then I expect him to be someone huge.

If they can bring cooper for less than DP, then I wouldn't say no. I am fully against Kenny Cooper coming in as a DP and I sure am glad that this thread is just speculation and none of this madness will happen.

The difference is the age. You cannot get a 24 year old player of that caliber to come here the opportunities in Europe are just too good.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry, id rather have an effective DP than someone like Lopez or Gallardo, both of which are World class dps or whatever. More often then not the dps have been washed up and the no names have prevailed.

egoodwin
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
remember that success in the league doesn't equal success in Toronto... Cunny. Ruiz.

King Tut
11-25-2008, 08:19 PM
The difference is the age. You cannot get a 24 year old player of that caliber to come here the opportunities in Europe are just too good.

Yah you're definitely right. But who said we're getting a 24 year old DP? DP is always a player that's late 20s, early 30s or even mid 30s..That's always been the standard. We can go about and try to change it for our case, but it's not what many of us would liek to see and thankfully it probably wont ever happen.

Give me Hernan Crespo or a 30 year old of that quality over a 24 year American prodigy any day of the week....

A world XI DP = someone who has played at the highest level (league, club, international competitions) and has made a huge name for himself, contributes on and off the pitch...

Maybe MLSE will not get us the world XI DP they promised us, but the fact that they actually told us that this is the kind of player they are making us wait for, should make us eager to hold them accountable for their words. Why should we settle for anything less than what they've been making us dream of? Anything less than a former World XI DP (or a name like Riquelme lets say) would be a disappointment by all measure of what MLSE has been promising...

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
remember that success in the league doesn't equal success in Toronto... Cunny. Ruiz.

Good argument.
Dunno what happened with Cunny, he was more or less coming from a decent season. Same cant be said for Ruiz. We sorta got them just as they were falling off.

Yah you're definitely right. But who said we're getting a 24 year old DP? DP is always a player that's late 20s, early 30s or even mid 30s..That's always been the standard. We can go about and try to change it for our case, but it's not what many of us would liek to see and thankfully it probably wont ever happen.

Give me Hernan Crespo or a 30 year old of that quality over a 24 year American prodigy any day of the week....

A world XI DP = someone who has played at the highest level (league, club, international competitions) and has made a huge name for himself, contributes on and off the pitch...

Maybe MLSE will not get us the world XI DP they promised us, but the fact that they actually told us that this is the kind of player they are making us wait for, should make us eager to hold them accountable for their words. Why should we settle for anything less than what they've been making us dream of? Anything less than a former World XI DP (or a name like Riquelme lets say) would be a disappointment by all measure of what MLSE has been promising...

Call me pessimistic but i just dont see one of those players coming here.
God id love it but i dont see it.
As a result i feel like im playing it safe/realistic backing the likes of Cooper (who in all fairness is pretty fucking good)

Captain Croatia
11-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Very true, and Copper fits all the things we wanted in a DP, young, talented, and a striker. He's not Canadian, but what Canadian wants to come right now?

I dont know if hes worth using the DP slot on, but if we have to use it then so be it.

Marco2K
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Sounds like you want an old guy that is past his years.

A guy like COOPer would really help this team.

jloome
11-26-2008, 08:00 PM
The only reason to get a fading Euro star is for ego and draw, neither of which means fuck all in the grand scheme.

Anyone who wouldn't take the top scorer (ok, second to landsy, but look at who's surrounding each) in the league as our DP is, frankly, an idiot. The whole point of getting a DP striker is to guarantee goals. Kenny Cooper would be a guarantee of goals.

Derko
11-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I honestly think getting Cooper, even for DP money would only improve TFC. I don't think we can attract a so called world class DP at the age of Cooper from Europe or anywhere for that matter.

Marco2K
11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I heard a german team is looking to get COOPER now.

Also the league wants 8 million for dero.

Brooker
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
signing Cooper would be unbelievable.

im getting my hopes up, fuck.

watch us sign Martin Brittain instead.

Cambridge_Red
11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Senior COOOOOOOOPEEERRRRR

J .
11-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Id give up allocation money, two first round draft picks, dunivant and edwards for him.

Give him 3 years of DP money and he would be worth it.

Yohan
11-27-2008, 01:57 AM
Id give up allocation money, two first round draft picks, dunivant and edwards for him.

Give him 3 years of DP money and he would be worth it.
lol. only moron of a GM would take that deal

King Tut
11-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Sounds like you want an old guy that is past his years.

A guy like COOPer would really help this team.

Actually I want an experienced World XI player (A.k.a old guy) that can still give to this team...Old doesn't mean he is over the hill..If you haven't noticed, this league is a bush league. It's garbage, and players who were once upon a time World XI, could still come here and rip this league a new one!

For example, by Inter's standards and most world class teams, Crespo is past his years. Do you dare to say that if we managed to make a big splash and bring someone like Crespo over, you'd ask for Cooper instead? :D :eek:

I'm surprised about all this funny talk from some of us who actually thought at one point that TFC are going to attempt or even think of signing a young DP from overseas who is a World XI. Yah right!!! What are you smoking folks? Hook me up with some of that. You think we're using our DP spot on C.Ronaldo? Or will it be Messi? Oh no, wait if we don't use it on Sergio Agüero, then no other older DP would do..lol..Obviously a world class DP means someone who is in their early 30s, but if they were really World XI at any point in time, they'd do wonders in a league like MLS...If guys like Blanco and Juan Pablo Angel are doing this stuff, I can't picture what someone like Crespo, Recoba, Riquelme, Rivaldo, Ronaldo and etc would do...It's amazing that TFC supporters now think that TFC is too good for some of the early 30s world class players. Get a grip on yourself. As of our first two years, we're a shitty team, in a shitty league and any World XI player (even if he was an amputee) would rip this league apart...FACT!

brad
11-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Curious thing. When people talk about bringing in experienced, old European based players, the never seem to bring up Denilson or Robert...

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Curious thing. When people talk about bringing in experienced, old European based players, the never seem to bring up Denilson or Robert...

Or Gallardo, an Argie World Cup player who, played alright for DC. Though, with older players you take on that added risk of injury like what happened to Gallardo, two injuries in one season.

Or Lopez, again an Argie World Cup player who was FANTASTIC in his day but has failed to really light the league on fire.

Basically, what I'm trying to get across is. No matter how experienced the player is, if we continue to focus on older players you'll always chance the risk of them either being past it in terms of quality play, or injury prone.

Would I say no to a player like Crespo? Obviously not, but if we could somehow get Cooper why not? I don't see a downside to it at all. He plays for us, DP salary or not, then a couple years down the road he goes back to Europe to ply his trade and we get an Edu like transfer fee. I see no downside to Cooper really.

trane
11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
^ Agreed. I am not against DP's, but I just do not know if they are the long term solution. I would rather build a guality team from front to back, and then if necessary bring in a DP, to push a notch above. Cooper, if he plays even for two years or so, would likely ensure progress as he would get those extra and consistent scoring that we need, as long as we get organized at the back, it would be sufficient to push us a level up.

It is not like I would not sign, lets say a Crespo but what are the realistic chances to get him here, or any player of his caliber at this time.

Shaughno
11-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Here's a thought... posting the article shortly but, Cooper or Morientes, choose your weapon.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-27-2008, 10:59 AM
well said boys

Steve
11-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Too much hate is placed on older players. Frankly, it really depends on the attitude of the player coming in. If he wants one last payday, fuck him. If he's coming to play, I'd welcome him.

Sure, older players don't have the speed they used to, but they bring something crucial. Experience. If they are really committed to helping their team, that experience is crucial. They will be able to help train the next generation of players on your team. They will be able to give tips to our young Canadians. They could bring so much more to the pitch than their game day play. If we want to grow the game, we need our team to be a mixture of experience and youth. Something I think we've been balancing rather well recently (Dichio and Robinson have already made huge contributions to our younger players).

Essentially: I would be very happy with a 33 yeah old DP with world class experience in it for love of the game. Will we find him? Unlikely, but you never know.

J .
11-28-2008, 11:54 PM
lol. only moron of a GM would take that deal

It would be better than getting nothing which is what concerns Dallas greatly. Two or three first round picks for someone they risk losing for nothing seems like a good idea. Dunivant is rated highly for an MLS player. Maybe add something else. But your right, it would be a tough deal for fans in Dallas to accept.

Would love to see Cooper in TFC red, but he is likely Europe bound. Too bad we cannot keep guys like him here in North America to entertain us.

King Tut
11-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Or Gallardo, an Argie World Cup player who, played alright for DC. Though, with older players you take on that added risk of injury like what happened to Gallardo, two injuries in one season.

Or Lopez, again an Argie World Cup player who was FANTASTIC in his day but has failed to really light the league on fire.

Basically, what I'm trying to get across is. No matter how experienced the player is, if we continue to focus on older players you'll always chance the risk of them either being past it in terms of quality play, or injury prone.

Would I say no to a player like Crespo? Obviously not, but if we could somehow get Cooper why not? I don't see a downside to it at all. He plays for us, DP salary or not, then a couple years down the road he goes back to Europe to ply his trade and we get an Edu like transfer fee. I see no downside to Cooper really.

I see what you're saying for sure. Many players came in and flopped. I totally agree with you. The thing with the Robert signing though is that everybody knew way in advance that Robert's record with his previous teams showed a common pattern where he always started off well, got lazy and grumpy, had attitude problems, wasa virus in the locker room and just wasn't the same player he came in to be. I read so much shit about this guy before he showed up, that I almost felt like we're signing the Cassano (attitude-wise) of France. There was so much negativity and worry around this guy way before we signed him. Yest we chose to take the risk and bite the bullet. Didn't everybody know that Robert had a well-documented temperament and was a huge huge risk? We had it coming. I never implied in anyway that I want TFC to snatch some random geezer who was a star in 80s, bring him as a DP to cash cheques, does jack shit and pull off a "Denilson". I brought up huge players (and I knew it would be mind boggling to many people), who I know would take some serious money to bring over to TFC. I was talking about big signings like that, assuming that since MLSE spends huge money on their other franchises, they wouldn't be too stingy about getting us ONE player who wont even cost a 1/2 of the Raptors highest paid player. All I want is to take them up on their word that we'd be getting a former World XI, and keep up these expectations. If we were told that we're egtting a former world XI type player, then lets not ask for anything less. We should somewhat be disappointed if we actually get less than what we were told. MLSE shoud live upto their word and prove that they are willing to put some big cash towards this DP and sign someone who is expected to be a hit in this league. So $3 million a season guy for example should not be too much to ask for, considering MLSE spending on other teams. I would like to believe that they're really willing to spend money on this "World Class DP" by making a nice hefty offer at some of these guys (who have proven to be amazing up at the top level until 2 seasons ago) and see what happens. There's no harm in trying. There are many players out there. I'd like to see offers thrown at some actually big name players that you are all doubting would ever set foot in Toronto. Drop a respectable offer and see how it goes. If we know the players that would 100% tear this league apart and some are not getting playing time anymore (Crespo), why not test his waters? Hopefully, we're not worried about "rejection". We can't be shy about making offers. :p

Cooper is amazing. Trust me, I would love to have Cooper on TFC myself. But I don't see why Cooper should be the first priority right now for a DP. I'd happily take Cooper (as a player who's just earning below the DP category) on the team. However, anything more, no thanks. My humble expectation is the DP player (once world XI) that we were told we'd be in the search for. How about we make an offer for one of the guys we're sure would destroy this league? Pick a guy who's in his early 30s, that you know is losing the spot light (playing time, position, released), but would still tear this league apart and getting close the end of his footballing career in 2-3 years. I think Crespo could fit that category. He's 33, hasn't seen much playing time recently with the much younger, yet lethal Inter strike force. Inter's a stacked team all around really. Crespo definitely has about 2-3 years left in him. If he ever thought of going to Europe or even had a glimpse of what it would be like, now would be the time to decide. This would be the same for many guys who are in their early 30s and have a choice to make of whether they join MLS or forget it forever. Crespo might be up for a new challenge. Everything is possible. Even though everybody says no big namers would come to Canada, and that MLS to them is just NYC and LA, I'm dead sure with a nice offer, things could change considerably. Money talks and that's a fact!

Obviously if Kenny Cooper was the last choice, I'd use the DP spot on him. I just don't believe we have run out of possible choices yet for this "World XI" DP, to have to resort on using the spot on Cooper. There are many "former World-XI" players or are those who are close to being considered "world XI", deserve an attempt at making offers for.

King Tut
11-30-2008, 06:18 PM
????

jloome
11-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Dude, I couldn't disagree more. Your expectations aside, the only people who have suggested we would be getting a "world IX" type player have been on chat boards, not n TFC's dressing room. Carver has said he needs a quality player who can score, and Mo has promised a DP.

But there's nothing -- nothing -- to suggest a DP has to be a former world-class player. In fact, I'm utterly missing the logic of why you would choose a former world-class player who's likely to score 15-20 goals....over a 24-year-old Kenny Cooper, who's likely to score 15-20 goals.

Not only is Cooper likely going to cost the team less in above-the-cap allocation, he would possibly be here for five years or more, and if we did get his rights, would eventually reap his substantial Euro transfer fee. Cardiff just offered $3.5M for him and was turned down; do you really think anyone's going to cough up that kind of transfer fee on the relative risk of an aging star, no matter how talented they are?

Similarly, Fernando Morientes would be an insanely good DP to get. He's a top European target striker whose strength is finishing well with both his head and feet (which would make him the perfect foil and teacher for Barrett.) He has led the champions league in scoring and scored nearly 75 goals for Real Madrid. What more could you want? Hell, I'm not sure there'd be much difference between Morientes or Crespo playing at this level anyway; either one would tear MLS a new one.

TFC OZZ
11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
I would take Cooper as my DP in a fucking heartbeat. I think he will eventually blossom into a fully world-class player. He's fast, big, has quick feet, a good shot, and a good football brain.

Dallas wanted experience, so they got Denilson. He was shit. Then they got Davino, and he was shit.

DC wanted experience so they got Gallardo, who's had moments of brilliance, and days of shit.

Kansas wanted experience so they got Lopez, who has been a disappointment for the most part.

Why not pick a guy who has a consistent record of doing well in this league, who is young, and has a very bright future in Kenny Cooper?

I have a question... Would you be happy to take Hernan Crespo and have him score lets say 15 goals in a season? I just want an honest answer as to whether you think that would be acceptable or not.

TFC OZZ
11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Dude, I couldn't disagree more. Your expectations aside, the only people who have suggested we would be getting a "world IX" type player have been on chat boards, not n TFC's dressing room. Carver has said he needs a quality player who can score, and Mo has promised a DP.

But there's nothing -- nothing -- to suggest a DP has to be a former world-class player. In fact, I'm utterly missing the logic of why you would choose a former world-class player who's likely to score 15-20 goals....over a 24-year-old Kenny Cooper, who's likely to score 15-20 goals.

Not only is Cooper likely going to cost the team less in above-the-cap allocation, he would possibly be here for five years or more, and if we did get his rights, would eventually reap his substantial Euro transfer fee. Cardiff just offered $3.5M for him and was turned down; do you really think anyone's going to cough up that kind of transfer fee on the relative risk of an aging star, no matter how talented they are?

Similarly, Fernando Morientes would be an insanely good DP to get. He's a top European target striker whose strength is finishing well with both his head and feet (which would make him the perfect foil and teacher for Barrett.) He has led the champions league in scoring and scored nearly 75 goals for Real Madrid. What more could you want? Hell, I'm not sure there'd be much difference between Morientes or Crespo playing at this level anyway; either one would tear MLS a new one.

Couldn't agree more.

King Tut
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM

Check out Canadian_Bhoy's interview with mlsintoronto on the second deck of BMO last season...

King Tut
11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a question... Would you be happy to take Hernan Crespo and have him score lets say 15 goals in a season? I just want an honest answer as to whether you think that would be acceptable or not.

No I wouldn't be happy with 15 goals a season from Crespo. But, I don't think Crespo would score 15 goals a season. I'd say more like 20-25 a season at the very least!

King Tut
11-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Either way, it's clear we're not going to agree on this. I can see where everyone is coming from and understand why many would take Cooper as a DP. However, I disgaree and will never be convinced with Cooper as a designated player. So my time in this thread has come to an end.

Yohan
11-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Either way, it's clear we're not going to agree on this. I can see where everyone is coming from and understand why many would take Cooper as a DP. However, I disgaree and will never be convinced with Cooper as a designated player. So my time in this thread has come to an end.
Until he puts in 15-20 goals for TFC? :p

profit89
11-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Kenny Cooper stinks.

Fiin
12-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Kenny "Goal" isnt World Xi.... World Xi is someone who can still play on a top class team and not look out of place, or shine on a mid tear team in a top league (say, Ashton or Owen when they are healthy).

Cooper is a good player in the MLS, but he would be Coca-Cola Champions League material at best imo.

As for a DP, I wouldnt take him no... I would take him as a highly paid player (say in the Robert-Guevara range).. but not more then that.

Yohan
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Kenny "Goal" isnt World Xi.... World Xi is someone who can still play on a top class team and not look out of place, or shine on a mid tear team in a top league (say, Ashton or Owen when they are healthy).

Cooper is a good player in the MLS, but he would be Coca-Cola Champions League material at best imo.

As for a DP, I wouldnt take him no... I would take him as a highly paid player (say in the Robert-Guevara range).. but not more then that.
Because you think TFC will somehow get someone who'd be able to play in an EPL, Serie A or la Liga team?

Even some DPs like Lopez, Gallardo, Schelotto wouldn't make it on bottom placed top tier teams right now.

Fiin
12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Because you think TFC will somehow get someone who'd be able to play in an EPL, Serie A or la Liga team?

Even some DPs like Lopez, Gallardo, Schelotto wouldn't make it on bottom placed top tier teams right now.

And some others like Beckham.. Angel.. would make it in... why should we settle for mediocrity? I know its the Toronto sportsfans way.. but come on..

And hey, I didnt promise you a World Xi player... Mo did, so dont harp me about it ;)

Fiin
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM

You seriously think any of those 3 are World Xi players your standards are pretty low mate.

J .
12-03-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't think World XI translates into wins.

Need someone who wants to play in a league that needs either highly technical skills or physical skills mixed with strong work ethic.

brad
12-03-2008, 09:29 AM
And some others like Beckham.. Angel.. would make it in... why should we settle for mediocrity? I know its the Toronto sportsfans way.. but come on..

How is bringing in a 15-20 goal per season striker settling for mediocrity? I care about results on the pitch, not the name on the jersey.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
How is bringing in a 15-20 goal per season striker settling for mediocrity? I care about results on the pitch, not the name on the jersey.

exactly too many people focused on the name

King Tut
12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Matt don't bother man. This discussion is going nowhere...But I fully agree with everything you said Fiin.