PDA

View Full Version : Would you attend the MLS Cup in Toronto if TFC wasn't there?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
If the MLS Cup was played in BMO Field and TFC were not involved
but tickets were part of the season ticket package like Sundays game with the Galaxy fans would you still attend the match?

For me yes, attending a league championship match might be a one time thing, and i would be there , rain, snow, ice, whatever. Im sure Toronto
will host the event soon, lets get out and support it when it happens.

jabbronies
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I would go just so that I could boo the teams and players. Just like at the All Star Game!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
I would go just so that I could boo the teams and players. Just like at the All Star Game!

Exactly , this game would mean soething though...Too bad the Galaxy fans didn;t fill the place, although it was more tilled then i first thought it might be for Columbus and NY...Maybe a two leg final should be MLS aim for the future so both seats of fans could take part?

flatpicker
11-24-2008, 06:04 PM
^ two-leg final??? Lord no!

as for a Cup game in T.O.... I would probably go... or maybe sell my ticket to a visiting supporter for an inflated price.

Hitcho
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
NEW POLL - how many random polls will mighty torontofc 2008 post in the next 24 hours?

:D:D:D

trane
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
^ Selling tickets at an inflated price, is the way to go, unless TFC is in. However, I would not sell my tickets to a Yellow Turds supporter.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 06:13 PM

as for a Cup game in T.O.... I would probably go... or maybe sell my ticket to a visiting supporter for an inflated price.

Its something they have to look at... Say Columbus Hosts the final at say its its Dallas vs Toronto for the Cup you think Coumbus would fill the place? As opposed to a two leg final, TFC would sell out and Dallas would as well.

flatpicker
11-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry dude, but I would not want to see the final take place over two games.
One game, one cup... winner take all!!!

MUFC_Niagara
11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
If TFC is not involved I have no interest in watching this league....

Bluenose13
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
NEW POLL - how many random polls will mighty torontofc 2008 post in the next 24 hours?

:D:D:DThe over/under is 8 :p

Wagner
11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
what makes you think we'll get a MLS cup?
it's f'ing cold.

Buffalo doesn't get the superbowl.

trane
11-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Amen to that.

Parkdale
11-24-2008, 08:16 PM

that's your deal then.

watching the beautiful game > not watching

tfc_4_ever
11-24-2008, 08:34 PM

So fucking true!!!!!!!!

Beach_Red
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM
it's f'ing cold.

And that's one of the many problems with the NFL. The Grey Cup has been great in Regina and Hamilton and Edmonton. Buffalo does get outdoor hockey games.

Let's hope as long as the MLS has a championship game it never becomes the corporate wank-fest that is the Super Bowl. :)

Goodfellas FC
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
i thought toronto was getting the 2012 cup?

SoccMan
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Of course I would go, I'm a soccer fan I love this game why would I not go. I'm a TFC season ticket holder and will be for life. I work hard for my money, but think my hard earned dollars spent on TFC and MLS is money well spent. I want the MLS to become popular here in North America, and that's one of the reasons that I still have an interest in MLS even when TFC is not involved, I'm a soccer fan who wants pro soccer to grow here in North America and that's why I watch MLS games even when TFC is not involved. I have been to two MLS Cup finals and would love to see one here in my home town.

OneLoveOneEric
11-24-2008, 09:39 PM

+1

Sell my seats to some douche from Salt Lake for as much as I can, and hope there's a better game on Setanta.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
it's f'ing cold.

MLSE was "promised a MLS CUP hosting before 2012 as part of the agreement with MLS. So it will happen its just a matter of when!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 10:10 PM

thats pretty sad...its attitude like that , that will keep the league down..

it it were not for MLS Toronto would have no football, and a Canadian league will never happen again ..so support MLS>

OneLoveOneEric
11-24-2008, 10:12 PM
^^I view it the opposite. The league has a responsibility to entertain me, the customer. Not the other way around. When the league is better, I'll watch neutral games. Until then, I only root, root root for the home team.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
^^I view it the opposite. The league has a responsibility to entertain me, the customer. Not the other way around. When the league is better, I'll watch neutral games. Until then, I only root, root root for the home team.

its a vicious circle, the fans want to be entertained with a good product,
but the clubs need the fans coming in /watching to be able to afford better players. This is not a major problem with TFC with sell outs for the first two seasons.

SoccMan
11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I'll tell you what "OneLoveOneEric" I will bet that in about 5 years give or take guys with your attitude will no longer be TFC fans. If you think MLS will one day become the premier league or something then you might aswell stop following the team and league now, because this is as good as it will get. You either accept the league for what it is, or give up your tix and just watch soccer on TV from over the pond.

SilverSamurai
11-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Echo's my sentiment too

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I'll tell you what "OneLoveOneEric" I will bet that in about 5 years give or take guys with your attitude will no longer be TFC fans. If you think MLS will one day become the premier league or something then you might aswell stop following the team and league now, because this is as good as it will get. You either accept the league for what it is, or give up your tix and just watch soccer on TV from over the pond.

great point except that MLS will improve even more in the next 5 years.
The SPL is not competitive with the EPL so do their fans stay away?
MLS is what he have...TFC is waht we have....support the team and League NO conditions.

OneLoveOneEric
11-24-2008, 11:04 PM

Bullshit. Not true at all. I love TFC in spite of the league, and I don't need to love the league to love TFC. It's very simple for me. I don't see it as a conflict at all. They're my team in my town, and no matter what league they play in, I'll support them. Just don't ask me to watch the rest.
And the fact that I continue to support TFC in spite of the league just shows what I'm willing to do for them. Every other league has the job to draw fans to them. MLS is no different.

MrHawk
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd go just to scalp my tickets to away fans.

Jack
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM

In Mexico they play a two-leg final.

nascarguy
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
i went to a non-tfc cup all ready in dc and would only go to a there non-tfc cup if it was in a city I wantin to go to.
I would only be the if tfc was playing & would sell back to tfc or someone here that i know wants to go.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
In Mexico they play a two-leg final.

Its done a lot over the world...and something MLS should really think about. It wopuld help the clubs with another home game, and im sure
you would see most seats filled at both venues.

TFC07
11-25-2008, 12:34 AM

Agreed.

Cashcleaner
11-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Exactly , this game would mean soething though...Too bad the Galaxy fans didn;t fill the place, although it was more tilled then i first thought it might be for Columbus and NY...Maybe a two leg final should be MLS aim for the future so both seats of fans could take part?

Yeah, cause that's exactly what we need - more playoffs games for people to not bother going to.

And I answered yes to the poll, but it would really depend on who is playing. I wouldn't watch NYRB and Columbus play, but perhaps two other teams with some quality players.

Why again do I have to love the league? Can someone tell me? Because the way I see it, we the more dedicated fans don't seem to matter much in the eyes of the commish and other officials. I mean, if I felt like my support to Toronto also meant more to the rest of the league, I'd have no problems watching the All-Star match or MLS Cup. Fans like us here with the RPB or U-Sector, NEE, etc. are all very knowledgeable supporters who know what we like and what we don't - yet more often than not, the policies of the league don't reflect our preferences - not a good thing when you figure we're the more dedicated demographic.

MUFC_Niagara
11-25-2008, 01:53 AM

it it were not for MLS Toronto would have no football, and a Canadian league will never happen again ..so support MLS>

It has nothing to do with the quality of the league. I support Altrincham FC in the Blue Square Premier League (my home club actually!). The reason why I choose not to support the league itself is because it's run like a mickey mouse league. Idiotic roster stipulations, penalizing teams for signing internationals or for developing players to then go on play for their country, not hold their referees accountable, playoffs, conferences, etc. For these reasons I will not support MLS, only TFC because they are my local club. Until Garber realizes that MLS can not compete with 'American' sport and he realizes that he needs to appeal to football fans in general. I will not support this league.

Oblio2
11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
If we had the Cup game and if TO wasn't involved, I would sell my tickets to the highest biddder

Hitcho
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
It has nothing to do with the quality of the league. I support Altrincham FC in the Blue Square Premier League (my home club actually!). The reason why I choose not to support the league itself is because it's run like a mickey mouse league. Idiotic roster stipulations, penalizing teams for signing internationals or for developing players to then go on play for their country, not hold their referees accountable, playoffs, conferences, etc. For these reasons I will not support MLS, only TFC because they are my local club. Until Garber realizes that MLS can not compete with 'American' sport and he realizes that he needs to appeal to football fans in general. I will not support this league.

then why have you got a manure badge welded to the TFC badge as your avatar? :rolleyes:

SLBuu
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
i wouldn't go, let the fans of the teams playing celebrate. I'd have no place there.

Fort York Redcoat
11-25-2008, 09:36 AM
If there were tix available gameday I'd buy one just so the city didn't look poorly.

But damn it would be hard to get up for it.

jabbronies
11-25-2008, 09:49 AM

No, it's attitudes like those of the Chivas, Columbus and KC that are keeping the league down. the bandwagon jumper who only show up when Beckham is in town or if thier team makes the playoffs.

having a good attendance record 3 games out of the 15-18 games played at home is a bad attitude.

We really don't have to do anything for the league except support our home town team, TFC. It's up to the other cities to step up and support their team.

As for the MLS finals, if TFC is not in the big show, and people don't wanna show up, well then that's their loss. Even if only half the stadium is full, aAs long as the tickets are sold and the $$$ is coming in, then the league will be happy and prosperous.

Parkdale
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
hahaha... it's funny how many people say they'd sell their tickets at an inflated price or to the highest bidder and yet will turn around an complain about scalpers ruining the atmosphere at BMO.

let me say it again...

watching a game live is better than not watching a game.

If you're truly a fan of the sport, and not just a supporter of the home team, you'll be at the game (provided the price of a ticket is fair - included with our seasons). Hell, I paid good money to go see Liverpool V. Porto a few years ago just because it was happening. Why not? What are else in happening on a Sunday afternoon that would be better than watching a quality match?

*edit - another point: even though the MLS final this year wasn't a great game, and it involved two teams I dislike, the quality of play was better than many of the TFC games I've watched in the past 2 years.

Chewy Unikronik
11-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Damn Skippy!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
[quote=Parkdale;275593]hahaha... it's funny how many people say they'd sell their tickets at an inflated price or to the highest bidder and yet will turn around an complain about scalpers ruining the atmosphere at BMO.

let me say it again...

If you're truly a fan of the sport, and not just a supporter of the home team, you'll be at the game (provided the price of a ticket is fair - included with our seasons). Hell, I paid good money to go see Liverpool V. Porto a few years ago just because it was happening. Why not? What are else in happening on a Sunday afternoon that would be better than watching a quality match?

was at the Liverpool Porto game at the Dome and a Celtic game there,
football is football of course we would love TFC to be in a MLS cup and it
will happen sooner then later...But When Torontos turn comes to hosting it, i will be there to support the league and see a championship final which
doesn't happen too often in TO, except for the Rocks's recent success.

TicTacTabarnack
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
If it's 2 teams that I don't like or care about - I'll go if it's at the Dome. Not worth freezing my ass off in late November to watch 2 wanker teams.
I'd go anywhere if it's TFC in the final! BMO Field, Dome or all the way in California at the Home Depot Center!

james
11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Garber was talking about the possibility of having the better of the 2 teams that qualify for the MLS Cup final will host the MLS Cup in there home city starting 2010!

Marc"2L"
11-25-2008, 05:46 PM
The US just needs to have some designated SSS's that can hold cup finals.
HDC is one for the south west, the shite bulls new park will be northeast.

I would much rather have a bunch of us go to the shite bulls new place for a final. Lets face it, ~3000 tfc fans + filled in corners in a new stadium + roof x road trip....

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Garber was talking about the possibility of having the better of the 2 teams that qualify for the MLS Cup final will host the MLS Cup in there home city starting 2010!

that would be good, but they would need a break of a least a week between the end of the conference finals so the home club could get tickets sold.

EastYork
11-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I would go, just like how I went to the All Star game this year.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
If it's 2 teams that I don't like or care about - I'll go if it's at the Dome. Not worth freezing my ass off in late November to watch 2 wanker teams.
I'd go anywhere if it's TFC in the final! BMO Field, Dome or all the way in California at the Home Depot Center!

NO to the Dome ever....BMO is Home....just dress warm

trane
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
hahaha... it's funny how many people say they'd sell their tickets at an inflated price or to the highest bidder and yet will turn around an complain about scalpers ruining the atmosphere at BMO.

let me say it again...

*edit - another point: even though the MLS final this year wasn't a great game, and it involved two teams I dislike, the quality of play was better than many of the TFC games I've watched in the past 2 years.

The difference is that while I would watch pretty well any footy, other MLS clubs are our rivals. I do not like them. I do not like Garber, I do not like this league. I love footy, I love Canada, I love Toronto and as a result I love TFC. I love the RPB. I hate the MLS, it is shite, and every other club int the MLS is equaly shite, shite footy, shite fans. I hate the marketing, I hate the style, I hate the uniforms, I hate the stadiums.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 06:34 PM
The difference is that while I would watch pretty well any footy, other MLS clubs are our rivals. I do not like them. I do not like Garber, I do not like this league. I love footy, I love Canada, I love Toronto and as a result I love TFC. I love the RPB. I hate the MLS, it is shite, and every other club int the MLS is equaly shite, shite footy, shite fans. I hate the marketing, I hate the style, I hate the uniforms, I hate the stadiums.

Canadians hate Garber...for what reason..he has brought respect to the league....Canadians hate Bettman....that one i can understand.
the MLS uniforms are from the main sponsor addidas, not known for quality designed shirts, but pour money into the League. The Marketing could be improved yes, but that takes cash. If you hate MLS the Lynx are always looking for Fans.

trane
11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
^ You have to explain that one to me, I love TFC, but because I hate the MLS, I should support another team? Why?

THA BUTCHA
11-25-2008, 08:42 PM
The league has a responsibility to entertain me..

this should echo in MLS fan head....

best sentence I've read on these forums.

AL-MO
11-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I would go. I went to the All Star game as well.

OneLoveOneEric
11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
All Star game was great. Best football BMO has ever seen.

AL-MO
11-25-2008, 09:03 PM
All Star game was great. Best football BMO has ever seen.

It was great. Up there with the U20 which if you saw the right game, was great football as well.

OneLoveOneEric
11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
^^Definitely. I wasn't able to go to any U20, but I hear there were some great games there too.
The skill on display at the All-Star game was fantastic from both teams. Some great moments that I remember really well. There was a 60 yard diagonal ball from Beckham that he sent forward while running the opposite way with pinpoint accuracy. The sheer skill of it was absurd.

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 09:05 PM
any chance of a thread title alteration if this thread is going to keep going? Makes me feel dumber every time i see it.;)

AL-MO
11-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Thread title altered.

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 09:32 PM
you're the best man......now I'm outta here.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 10:00 PM

maybe you watch too much foreign football to like MLS...If your going to compare the quality of MLS which has been around to say the top flight in England, that has been on the go for over 100 years thats Nuts the EPL is not as good as the Brazilian or Argentine leagues so should we hate the EPL?

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Premiership was founded in 1992!! :canada:

MLS is only 4 years older....I think this is a fair and unbiased comparison and MLS should be sad at how far behind they are :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Premiership was founded in 1992!! :canada:

MLS is only 4 years older....I think this is a fair and unbiased comparison and MLS should be sad at how far behind they are :D

yeah but the top flight english football has been around for a long time,
a name change thats all. MLS is the equal for the English championship , not bad after 13 years!!

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 10:20 PM
you're right...although it was more than a name change....they restructured...changed the number of teams...so on.....and while being pretty good for 13 years in...it'd be wrong to call the league "good"

OneLoveOneEric
11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
a name change thats all. MLS is the equal for the English championship , not bad after 13 years!!

Can we please put this tired misconception to bed? MLS teams would not compete for promotion to the premiership over a 38 game season. Not even a slight chance.
And Brazilian leagues are better than the EPL?
Strange indeed.

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Can we please put this tired misconception to bed? MLS teams would not compete for promotion to the premiership over a 38 game season. Not even a slight chance.
And Brazilian leagues are better than the EPL?
Strange indeed.

somebody said that? this place rocks

Sonny Cheeba
11-25-2008, 10:27 PM
no i wouldn't go. i'd like a cup game to be exciting with only the supporters of the teams involved attending. if you just want to watch live football go somewhere else. i'd be pretty pissed if TFC got to the cup and i couldn't get tickets because people in whatever city were going just for the purpose of being at the final game.

can't be compared to the All Star game.... two totally different things.

OneLoveOneEric
11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
somebody said that? this place rocks

Sure did -- I had to restart my computer to see if it was some kind of glitch :)

maybe you watch too much foreign football to like MLS...If your going to compare the quality of MLS which has been around to say the top flight in England, that has been on the go for over 100 years thats Nuts the EPL is not as good as the Brazilian or Argentine leagues so should we hate the EPL?

H Bomb
11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Oh shit, that's awesome.

celt-nick
11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
If TFC was out, I'd still go if one of the teams was the Impact. I'd go to heckle their the fans and their players....I guess for a few different reasons this scenario will not be happening anytime soon anyways...Too bad, I love to hate Montreal!

MUFC_Niagara
11-25-2008, 10:47 PM

I realize that the majority of the RPB is new to football but for the love of god can we keep the rediculous comments to a minimum! MLS is comparable to the First Division at best....nothing wrong with that, but thats the way it is....

MUFC_Niagara
11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh shit, that's awesome.

Here mate, we need on of these after that...:drinking:

BC101
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
OLOE is killing it LMAO.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I realize that the majority of the RPB is new to football but for the love of god can we keep the rediculous comments to a minimum! MLS is comparable to the First Division at best....nothing wrong with that, but thats the way it is....

the players coming over from the uK have equaled it to the championship, and they should know.. TFC might be League one, San Jose as well, but the rest could finish mid table championship, of course this is all guess work,.

james
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
you're right...although it was more than a name change....they restructured...changed the number of teams...so on.....and while being pretty good for 13 years in...it'd be wrong to call the league "good"

ya but all the teams in England had been around for 100+ years. Changing the format a bit on hte season and changing the name wouldnt really qualify as a new league. MLS is constantly changing, yet its still been the same league over changes!

james
11-25-2008, 11:18 PM

man i find the argentina league more entertainning then EPL. In the Argentina league every team has a chance to win and lose. Just look at Lanus last year winning there first ever tittle. And this year River Plate Giants are in LAST place. And Argentina fans are insame and got the best atmosphere in the world!

But with that said, there is no way the quality of the Argentina or Brazil leagues skill on the pitch are as good as in the EPL. And way more people world wide watch EPL and EPL generates alot more money. So no way EPL is not as good as in Brazil or Argentina leagues!

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-25-2008, 11:28 PM
man i find the argentina league more entertainning then EPL. In the Argentina league every team has a chance to win and lose. Just look at Lanus last year winning there first ever tittle. And this year River Plate Giants are in LAST place. And Argentina fans are insame and got the best atmosphere in the world!

But with that said, there is no way the quality of the Argentina or Brazil leagues skill on the pitch are as good as in the EPL. And way more people world wide watch EPL and EPL generates alot more money. So no way EPL is not as good as in Brazil or Argentina leagues!

the EPL is a four team league and will be for a while, like the SPL will always remain a two team league:( The english top four always seem to lose to the south american champions in what is now the fifa world club cup.

MUFC_Niagara
11-26-2008, 01:18 AM
the EPL is a four team league and will be for a while, like the SPL will always remain a two team league:( The english top four always seem to lose to the south american champions in what is now the fifa world club cup.

That's because the competition is a 'milk' cup and no one cares about it....

Cashcleaner
11-26-2008, 01:22 AM
If you're truly a fan of the sport, and not just a supporter of the home team, you'll be at the game (provided the price of a ticket is fair - included with our seasons). Hell, I paid good money to go see Liverpool V. Porto a few years ago just because it was happening. Why not? What are else in happening on a Sunday afternoon that would be better than watching a quality match?Again, this is such a bullshit argument. Did it ever occur to you that some people are perfectly happy to forgo watching an MLS game that doesn't feature Toronto FC in favour of...let's say a local youth match or perhaps a college/university game? I don't know if you guys noticed, but I was absent for a lot of the season. The reason, ass sex and lots of it!!

Or are you suggesting that people are only soccer fans if they only watch a top-flight match?

MUFC_Niagara
11-26-2008, 01:36 AM

I don't buy this for a second mostly because of the nature of football. Most of the clubs are imbedded in tradition. Do you think an Everton supporter would venture over to Anfield to watch Liverpool play, or a United supporter would wander over the wastelands and watch Citeh? Pick your derby, but most people care about their club and their club alone. In Canada things may be different. The infancy of this group, this team, this league, are what's driving this argument that we watch as a fan of the 'sport.' A lot of people just starting supporting TFC and started watching football just recently. Some people are in this group because it's cool to be here. The bottom line is, football is a culture as much as a sport. What people, that are new, don't understand is that for most people who have been following footie and a particular club their whole life it's not about the league, other teams, what events are happening midweek....it's about Saturday, a pint of lager, and your club. You're estactic when you win and gutted when you lose....it starts with TFC and ends with TFC.

twistedchinaman
11-26-2008, 02:49 AM
If TFC ain't there, Twisted ain't there. Simple as that. My record shows that I fly out to see MY team, not someone else's sadsack piece of shite.

SoccMan
11-26-2008, 06:42 AM
I keep seeing people say things like " I follow TFC because it's a cool thing to do right now" , hopefully we have more people that follow TFC because they are soccer fans, because if the ones that support TFC because it's cool are in the majority then we might in trouble in the future when it's not the cool thing to do anymore and instead of having to expand BMO we may be thinking at moving the team to Lamport because BMO might be too big.

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't buy this for a second mostly because of the nature of football...... You're estactic when you win and gutted when you lose....it starts with TFC and ends with TFC.

agreed that it's all about TFC, but I would still rather be watching a game between two quality sides (as it should be in any 'cup final') instead of not watching it.

let's step outside of the 'club mentality' for a moment and think about the World Cup, or Euro Cup, or even the U-20s. Canada was hosting the under-20's and even though our team was terrible, I still went to see games that didn't involve my personal allegiance. The Poland - Argentina was an amazing day down at BMO, and I'm so glad I got to see that.

as someone who watches the sport, why wouldn't you choose to watch a quality match? I just don't get that. No one is saying you have to pick a side to cheer for. Hell, during the MLS Final, everyone at Joe's was cheering for the 4th official and grass divots. You can choose to have a good time, or not.

oh, and I suppose that people only watch the ONE game on the weekend that matters to them?

Roogsy
11-26-2008, 09:37 AM
^ This is how I feel exactly.

OneLoveOneEric
11-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Well I think where many of us differ in opinion is on the definition of a "quality match". The U20 World Cup would have yielded far more quality than the MLS Cup final, and is an opportunity to see the future of football in your own backyard.
MLS games GENERALLY are not "quality", and as such if you take out my hometown loyalty, there's little else in it for me.

Roogsy
11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't understand this point of view, but to each his own I suppose.

If this is the way you think, why even go see TFC at all? If inferior soccer is ok but you will watch it because it's your hometown team, why didn't everyone go support the Lynx when they were in the USL?

OneLoveOneEric
11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I can't answer for everyone.
And I'm tired of defending my love for TFC in the face of a shit league.
We will leave it there.

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 09:50 AM
MLS games GENERALLY are not "quality", and as such if you take out my hometown loyalty, there's little else in it for me.

this year's final wasn't that bad. It started slow, but got better.
The last two Finals I've watched, which were both Houston V New England
were really entertaining games. Plus having DeRo on the field is always a perk.

Remember how many people said they didn't care about the all-star?
Well the all-star was probably the best quality football game ever played at BMO.
That isn't to say it's 1/100th as important as one of TFC's goals, but it was quality.
Added bonus: we got to sit there and watch a game with an objective eye.

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 09:55 AM

well TFC is going to be playing in this league from now until....
a very long time, so you're going to have to live with it.

or, you could choose to NOT celebrate when we win the MLS Cup because it's the top prize of a 'shit league'.

OneLoveOneEric
11-26-2008, 10:01 AM
this year's final wasn't that bad. It started slow, but got better.
The last two Finals I've watched, which were both Houston V New England
were really entertaining games. Plus having DeRo on the field is always a perk.

Remember how many people said they didn't care about the all-star?
Well the all-star was probably the best quality football game ever played at BMO.
That isn't to say it's 1/100th as important as one of TFC's goals, but it was quality.
Added bonus: we got to sit there and watch a game with an objective eye.

I never bitched about the ASG, and have already said in this thread that it was the best game I've seen at BMO. When you compress all of MLS into one team, and put them up against a European side of quality, it's a great game.

well TFC is going to be playing in this league from now until....
a very long time, so you're going to have to live with it.

or, you could choose to NOT celebrate when we win the MLS Cup because it's the top prize of a 'shit league'.

If this is what you believe I think, then either I've been very unclear or you're not listening.

flatpicker
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
my cat's breath smells like cat food!

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
well back to the top of the topic of the thread, would you go to watch the MLS Final even if TFC wasn't in it?

Roogsy
11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Yes.

Championship games are the best representation of that particular league. If I will watch a TFC game then I will watch the MLS Cup.

If I will watch the Brampton Battalion play, I will watch the Memorial Cup game.

If I will watch the Argos play, I would watch the Grey Cup.

Hitcho
11-26-2008, 10:10 AM
my cat's breath smells like cat food!

Yep, and your avatar looks like a photo of you just as you realised that mate!!! :D:D:D

pubboy
11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
the players coming over from the uK have equaled it to the championship, and they should know.. TFC might be League one, San Jose as well, but the rest could finish mid table championship, of course this is all guess work,.

At least have an educated guess mate. That is complete BS. I'd be surprised if more than a couple of MSL teams could survive in the Championsip.

trane
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
We will leave it there.

That is my feeling as well. I love TFC, it is our club, but I will not pretend to like a league that otherwise I hate. It is not only the quality of play, but the style the atmosphere the pretention. I just do not like it. If TFC announced tommorow it would join the CSL I would be happy and would follow it just the same.

Parkdale
11-26-2008, 12:31 PM
If TFC announced tommorow it would join the CSL I would be happy and would follow it just the same.

think of the awesome away trips: Miami, Puerto Rico, Montreal, Rochester, Charleston....

trane
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
^ That is USL, but fuck yes, I would not mind going to some of those palces. Believe it or not I have always wanted to visit Rochester, it is just accross the lake, and it looks kind of nice, so I have wanted to go for a day trip for some time.

CSL is not as awoseme, London, St. Catherines, North York and offcourse Damian favroutire Woodbrdge. ( I forgot the glorious Parkdale home of Portugal FC)

Parkdale
11-28-2008, 02:28 PM
there's a big Tibetan team in Parkdale too.

cementhead
11-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I,ve been to two MLS cup and both where great Washington and LA and I,m planning to go ever year way to much fun.If it in Toronto or on the moon all be there.The best is yet to come when TFC are there will blow the roof of any stadium.

Sonny Cheeba
11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Parky, the major problem i have with the "enjoy a quality game" and "if you're a real soccer supporter and love the game" argument is that i could NEVER imagine a stadium full of people with that mentality, and an indifference to the teams involved.

the reason a football match is so exciting live is because of the fans that attend and have a vested interest in the team. take that away, and you're basically seeing what you see on regular MLS coverage on television. you won't have an electric atmosphere of the crowd if more and more people are going to just sit back and enjoy the quality football on the pitch. i'm not saying these people wouldn't cheer. but unless they have a reason to pick one side, like a pricey bet, it's basically going to be like watching figureskating, where there is applause for every "trick" preformed.

Shakes McQueen
11-28-2008, 05:05 PM
If I could get cheap tickets? Sure. Aside from that though, let the supporters of either team go.

I stadium full of people indifferent to the result, would not make for a very good atmosphere.

- Scott

MartinUtd
11-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Its something they have to look at... Say Columbus Hosts the final at say its its Dallas vs Toronto for the Cup you think Coumbus would fill the place? As opposed to a two leg final, TFC would sell out and Dallas would as well.

Absolutely they would. If we brought down 2500 for the opener im sure we could push 6-7000 for the final. Add the 120000 Cbus fans plus a thousand from whatever other team is in and we have ourselves a full Crew stadium (without David Beckham's help to boot)

trane
12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I have changed my answer with time from no to........FUCK NO.