PDA

View Full Version : Protected Lists

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I figure we are all interested in TFC's protected lists, but if anyone else has other's post them here.

Goff reports DC's list:

D.C. United Protects.....

Marc Burch
Luciano Emilio
Fred
Ivan Guerrero
Greg Janicki
Thabiso Khumalo
Devon McTavish
Jaime Moreno
Bryan Namoff
Santino Quaranta
Clyde Simms

Which leaves the following players available for selection by Seattle in Wednesday's expansion draft: Crayton, Martinez, Peralta, Vide, Gallardo, Doe, J. Carroll, P. Carroll, Cordeiro, Dyachenko, Kirk, Coroma, Mediate, Miller, Olsen, Thompson, Thorpe, Wells, Zaher

ensco
11-24-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm amazed they protected Quaranta and left Vide off the list. Quaranta is a reclamation project who had a nice season, but really, he could easily slip back next year.

Vide is a terrific midfielder. And he's cheap (I think he makes less than $50K). I know this will inflame people, but I think he could do Robinson's job at a fraction of the price.

EDIT: He makes less than $20K! He's a very serviceable player. He's gone.
http://www.mlsplayers.org/salary_info.html

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
from Ives:

(Some) MLS Expansion protected lists (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-expansion-protected-lists.html)

As we wait for MLS to officially release the expansion draft protection lists, here are four lists that have been passed on to SBI (I will add lists to this broup until we get the official release from MLS on all 14 lists):

D.C. United

Marc Burch, Luciano Emilio, Fred, Ivan Guerrero, Greg Janicki, Thabiso Khumalo, Devon McTavish, Jaime Moreno, Bryan Namoff, Santino Quaranta, Clyde Simms
FC Dallas

Dario Sala, Drew Moor, Adrian Serioux, Blake Wagner, Andre Rocha, Dax McCarty, Pablo Ricchetti, Marcelo Saragosa, Kenny Cooper, Jeff Cunningham, Dominic Oduro

Kansas City Wizards

Davy Arnaud, Adam Cristman, Jimmy Conrad, Herculez Gomez, Michael Harrington, Jack Jewsbury, Jonathan Leathers, Claudio Lopez, Carlos Marinelli, Kevin Souter, Josh Wolff

Real Salt Lake

Javier Morales, Jamison Olave, Fabian Espindola, Nat Borchers, Kyle Beckerman, Will Johnson, Robbie Russell, Chris Wingert, Robbie Findley, Yura Movsisyan, Nick Rimando
---------------
In other news, San Jose has traded Jovan Kirovski to the Los Angeles Galaxy for a conditional draft pick in the 2010 Supplemental Draft (which is MLS speak for 'Bag of Balls').

ensco
11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Cunningham gets protected!!!! You've got to be kidding me.

RedRum
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Why would Dallas protect Cunny? At his age and salary no one would touch him.

ensco
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Ricketts, Johann Smith and Sutton unprotected!

Toronto FC Unprotected List
Attakora-Gyan, Nana
Elkinson, Kilian
Freeman, Hunter
Gala, Gabe
Gaudet, Derek
Melo, Joey
Ricketts, Rohan
Rosenlund, Tyler
Ruiz, Carlos
Smith, Jarrod
Smith, Johann
Sutton, Greg
Velez, Marco

Moe911
11-24-2008, 06:00 PM
was in rohan ricketts in the list..i really hope we dont lose him.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:00 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-expansion-protected-lists.html

The entire list of players not protected.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Ricketts was left unprotected.

Kevvv
11-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Why would Dallas protect Cunny? At his age and salary no one would touch him.

5 goals in 11 games.

Hitcho
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Sutton and Ricketts - I'd hate to lose either of those players. Although if RR is anxious to head back to the UK then it might be a tactical decision (NOT SAYING HE IS, JUST MUSING).

Sutton worries me though. I know SS have Keller, but still, Greg's Canadian and our first choice keeper... *gulp*

Stouffville_RPB
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Sutton won't get scooped. Rohan might but we have to remember that he is making quite abit of money and that might deter someone from taking him.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
SS would be interested in Velez or Johann Smith I think.

MG42
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Hmmm maybe leaving Sutton open leaves room for TFC to get Seitz from RSL as was reported earlier?

jabbronies
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Sutton won't get scooped. Rohan might but we have to remember that he is making quite abit of money and that might deter someone from taking him.

When does his contract expire???

Hitcho
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
SS would be interested in Velez or Johann Smith I think.

Oh man i hope they take Velez, I really do! Then Mo really will have to prioritise a top new CB in the off season.

I'd like to keep both J Smiths for now though, see how they do next season.

ensco
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Here's some names that jump out at me on the unprotected list:
Ante Razov (Chivas)
Thomas Frankowski (Chicago)
Mike Petke (Colorado)
Eddie Gaven (Columbus) (wow, talk about a surprise!)
Richard Mulrooney (Houston)
Craig Waibel (Houston)
Kevin Hartmann (KC)
Khano Smith (NE)
Jeff Parke(NY)
Joe Vide (DCU)

I think Gaven and Vide are the most obvious picks on the list.

Bizarre goings on with ex TFC stiffs:
Osorio protected Boyens and Goldthwaite but exposed Parke and Magee.
Dallas protects Cunny instead of...anybody else.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh man i hope they take Velez, I really do! Then Mo really will have to prioritise a top new CB in the off season.

I'd like to keep both J Smiths for now though, see how they do next season.

Velez did play for the Seattle before.

Stouffville_RPB
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
barrett, brennan, dichio, dunivant, edwards, guevara, harmse, james, marshall, robinson, wynne were protected then.

y protect dichio over ricketts when dichio has concussion issues and is 33? i think tfc will regret this move.

Stouffville_RPB
11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
When does his contract expire???

not sure how long he is signed for.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I do think Mo has already talked to the Seattle GM, and they have agreed on a player or no player they will select from Toronto.

flatpicker
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I do think Mo has already talked to the Seattle GM, and they have agreed on a player or no player they will select from Toronto.

did you put a glass up to the door and listen in on a conversation?

Hitcho
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
barrett, brennan, dichio, dunivant, edwards, guevara, harmse, james, marshall, robinson, wynne were protected then.

y protect dichio over ricketts when dichio has concussion issues and is 33? i think tfc will regret this move.

because DD is part of the heart and soul of this club, a very useful player and very hard to replace, even with his age and injury record. plus he's likely to play one more season and then go into a coaching role with the club. I'm glad he was protected. Given the high player turnaround TFC has had since inception it's important to kepp holdof some of the original season players, imho. We may be a new club, but we still have soul.

Stouffville_RPB
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM
because DD is part of the heart and soul of this club, a very useful player and very hard to replace, even with his age and injury record. plus he's likely to play one more season and then go into a coaching role with the club. I'm glad he was protected. Given the high player turnaround TFC has had since inception it's important to kepp holdof some of the original season players, imho. We may be a new club, but we still have soul.

we should pick up a brain while we're at it. no way seattle would've picked up dichio. we could've used that spot on someone else.

ensco
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
we should pick up a brain while we're at it. no way seattle would've picked up dichio. we could've used that spot on someone else.

Maybe. Couldn't risk it, though.

Keyman
11-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Rohan Ricketts is unprotected. What the fuck.

Salary is high, yes, but his salary is justified.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM

This is puzzling, but I know Ljungberg plays on the right side, same side as RR. Would Seattle want a high priced guy on the bench.

mlsintoronto
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
O'Brien unprotected. Frankie gave up $125k and a first rounder for him!

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
O'Brien unprotected. Frankie gave up $125k and a first rounder for him!

Steal for TFC!!! But isn't it the norm that he play for every expansion team

Keyman
11-24-2008, 06:32 PM
This is puzzling, but I know Ljungberg plays on the right side, same side as RR. Would Seattle want a high priced guy on the bench.
Both players are versatile, either Ricketts or Ljungberg could play somewhere else in the midfield if need be. IMO

neuf
11-24-2008, 06:35 PM

It's possible that Mo is preventing Seattle from scooping him up and then holding him ransom for a protected player that they really want.. Sort of like how we acquired O'Brien.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Both players are versatile, either Ricketts or Ljungberg could play somewhere else in the midfield if need be. IMO

I hope tho, that Seattle take someone else.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
mental, surprised at Ricketts and Jo Smith

Keyman
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I hope tho, that Seattle take someone else.
I hope that this is the opinion of the majority on here. Losing Ricketts, or Jo Smith, would be a huge loss for us. I'm very scared that we will lose one, and really, Smith looks more attractive to Seattle. He's got the potential to become a great player, and he's American. Hard to resist him.

kshep
11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Why protect an International keeper(Edwards) who will never be a lock at starting?? Second of all why is Monsalve not our second keeper.. I know he's young and a tad on the small side, but he was trump in the match against Villa last year.

Give the Canadian kid the shot Mo, Edwards has never not looked shaky in goal and frankly scares the crap out of me when we call upon him.

ensco
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
I think Jo Smith, he's American, with his upside, at $36K, is absolutely, 100% gone.

I really am very very surprised we exposed him, and not any of Edwards, James or Harmse. (EDIT: I think we had to protect a goalie, so we couldn't have left him out for Jo Smith)

O'Brien, if he gets picked and goes there, then we'll know the turf isn't why he wanted out of here....

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
JoSmith, although we know hes good, didnt really show too much with except for speed, might not want to develop him, which they will have to do

BuSaPuNk
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Very suprising that Ricketts wasn't protected. I hope we don't lose Ricketts, but whoelse could we have left off the list?? I don't think the SS will take anyone from us anyways....the only player I would be concerned about losing is Jo Smith...even then...wouldn't really be a big loss.

ensco
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
JoSmith, although we know hes good, didnt really show too much with except for speed, might not want to develop him, which they will have to do

Did you forget that cross to Barrett at NY? Guys who show that they can outrun defenders over distance, and then cross a ball 30 yards with accuracy are very rare. (It's something Ricketts didn't ever do, and he played over 2100 minutes, vs Jo Smith's 371).

Ricketts is not a stiff. But Smith costs much less than Ricketts. And he's a domestic player. It's not even close in terms of who is at risk here.

Nice knowing you, Johann. (God, I think we're going to regret this one day soon....)

TFC OZZ
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Protecting Dichio and not Ricketts or Johann Smith? Dichio's like 33, he's been badly injured, and he makes 150K a year. Let Seattle sign him, and we'll use allocation to buy him back just like we did with Jason Kreis in our first year. THis is utterly rediculous.

Do I need to remind you that we used our high allocation last year to sign Johann Smith? If we lose him, that means we wasted a very, very important allocation spot last season that could have gone A LONG WAY in the transfer market at the time.

Ricketts is definatly a good player, and I'd expect him to show even more improvement next season.

I'd also hate to lose Attakora or Rosenlund.

Honestly, Mo and Carver, what the fuck are you thinking?

kshep
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm sure Harmse was protected because he's domestic.. I sure hope we're not protecting him to be our solution at center back.

JJ should have been left unprotected.. he's to much of a project to be worth the trouble, his ability in the air is his only upside.

I would hate to lose any of our young Canadian players.. though most of them are probably not on the team come the start of pre-season training next year anyways due to the new roster regs.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Did you forget that cross to Barrett at NY? Guys who show that they can outrun defenders over distance, and then cross a ball 30 yards with accuracy are very rare. (It's something Ricketts didn't ever do, and he played over 2100 minutes, vs Jo Smith's 371).

Ricketts is not a stiff. But Smith costs much less than Ricketts. And he's a domestic player. It's not even close in terms of who is at risk here.

Nice knowing you, Johann.

Oh dont get me wrong, hes showed promise and im a fan (that was an incredible cross btw) but Seattle might wanna go the same route as San Jose and get some vets to make an immeditea impact as opposed to building up future stock.

Im sad because i was quite excited to see the young players of ours squad gel together

Broadview
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
At least you can only lose one guy.

There's still a chance TFC won't lose anybody in the draft.

Exposing Ricketts seems risky, but he'd be a risky guy for Seattle to take as well what with his large salary and possible intentions of heading home for some real money.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
fingers crossed they see other teams as being more attractive (DC, Columbus).
How many picks do they get again?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
with 13 teams, i imagine we are going to lose at least 1 player
i might be wrong.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 07:06 PM
10 rounds.

kshep
11-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Why in all the hells on earth would we protect Marshall instead of anyone else too..

For me James and Marshall go on the list and Jo Smith and Ricketts get a spot on the protected list if I'm making the call..

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Why in all the hells on earth would we protect Marshall instead of anyone else too..

For me James and Marshall go on the list and Jo Smith and Ricketts get a spot on the protected list if I'm making the call..

I think i agree with you on this.
We definitely need a shored up backline and these dudes arent doing it.
I dont mind holding on to them but i also dont mind ridding of them.
I do mind losing JoSmith and Ricketts...

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 07:17 PM
James you can't rush, he played out of position most times, and of course is a rookie. A year ago everyone was talking him about the best defender in the SuperDraft.

Marshall was kept, because he does have trade value.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:19 PM
yeah, i guess im going with relatively proven attacking talent and potential attacking talent vs the same thing defensively.

Hey, i just prefer attacking football, HA

joesoccerfan
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
The only guy I wouldn't want to lose is Attakora, but he probably won't go unless Seattle thinks he can start for them. No use using a international spot for a bench player.

Ricketts is way overpaid at $200k+

Seattle won't pay $150k and an international spot for Sutton when they have signed Kasey Keller.

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Guys chill. :lol:

At most we can lose one player. I'm pretty sure it goes as follows;

Seattle gets to select up to 10 players and they get 10 rounds where they are only allowed to select one unprotected player per round. They are only able to pick one player from any given team throughout all the rounds.

At least that's my understanding from when we were going through the process.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I would be very surprised if either J. Smith or Ricketts don’t get picked. Maybe this is a statement about Ricketts future plans or the team has another wide man on their radar - Jamie Peters perhaps?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Id be ok trading Jamie Peters for JoSmith

ensco
11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Guys chill. :lol: At most we can lose one player.

Problem is we're going to lose a good one (Johann Smith) who is cheap, showed real promise, and for whom we used a valuable allocation.

Brewer-NL
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
When is the expansion draft?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
weds

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Remember to consider their current roster:

Sebastien Le Toux - Midfield/Striker - International
Sanna Nyassi - Midfield - International
Fredrik Ljungberg- Midfield (Right/Versatile) - International
Kasey Keller - Keeper - Domestic

So they have almost half their International slots filled up going INTO the draft. They also have potentially 3 midfielders that will want a starting spot and require International slots.

I honestly think Ricketts is out of their reach. Between his salary, International status and the fact that they have two solid wide midfielders I think they would look past him. Johann on the other hand, fits their bill perfectly. Speedy, cheap, domestic winger who like Le Toux, can also play as a striker.

I haven't had a chance to look through the eligible players yet, but once I do I'll weigh in on who I think is gone if anyone.

Lucky Strike
11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Of the unprotected players, only four I would be upset at losing. Those are:

Group A:

- Rohan Ricketts
- Greg Sutton
- Johann Smith
- Nana Attakora

Group B (players that would be unfortunate to lose, but I could deal):

- Gabe Gala
- Tyler Rosenlund

As it's been said, there are 10 rounds and Seattle can only pick one player per team. I've looked at all the teams' unprotected lists and I think only Dallas and LA have no attractive players (this is based on my own personal views, it's a gut feeling).

This means that there are 12 teams with worthwhile players available. The chances of TFC being one of the 10 teams out of the 12 is 83.3%. Thus, I'm predicting, we will lose a player.

Further, out of the 4 I mentioned that I would consider a big loss:

- Sutton will not be picked. Seattle already has Kasey Keller and crucially, Hartman from KC is out there.
- Attakora will not be picked as he would be an international for any team other than TFC.

We will either lose Ricketts or Johann Smith. Ricketts could play the left wing (he has before) with Ljungberg on the right. However, he isn't cheap and is an international for Seattle. Johann Smith is on the cheap, counts as domestic for Seattle and I personally think he has potential. However, there are many better players out there.

Gala and Rosenlund will not be picked as there are: a) better players and; b) those better players are American.

End result: We lose Johann Smith unless Seattle gets suckered into picking Ruiz.

kshep
11-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Seattle has the right to renegotiate contracts up or down with all the players they select keep in mind, so while they may not want to take Ricketts b/c of his international status they could take him and reduce his pay to fit their cap I believe.

I personally think if Rohan's selected by Seattle he takes a walk from MLS though, when you factor in Carver to the Ricketts equation I just don't see him wanting to play for anyone other than our gaffer.

Yohan
11-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Some interesting names in the mix. I originally did a doubletake when I saw Gallardo's name on the list, but remembered that Seattle has a DP and will have to trade Gallardo if they did pick him. (which still might happen)

Bear in mind I don't keep track of MLS that often... I may be taking out of my ass :p

Some names that stand out
-Ante Razov: thought the guy got hurt a lot, but still serviceable striker?
-Raphael Wicky: Going from Hertha Berlin, now unprotected on Chivas roster... Injury also hurt him a lot. Could be interesting pick up for DM.
-Tomasz Frankowski: another serviceable guy up front
-Jose Burciaga: seems he's left unprotected in every expansion draft. What is up with this guy?
-Terrry Cooke: pretty decent ex Man U winger with lots of MLS experience. Might be a calculated risk on Colorado's part with Ljungberg also playing wing.
-Eddie Gaven: I'd be very surprised if Seattle doesn't pick him up.
-Pat Noonan: didn't he just come back from Europe?
-Duillo Davino: highly touted by Dallas as CB signed from Mexico, now unprotected. Funny how that works.
-Viktor Sikora: was surprised to find him signed with Dallas. One last kick at the can with Seattle maybe?
-Ben Olsen: how far is he from his recovery? Talisman leader for DC... now unprotected. Man this league is funny.
-Zach Wells and Louis Clayton: both keepers left unprotected? WTF?
-Nate Jaqua: I thought Houston rated this guy.
-Kevin Hartmann: good keeper, but probably not going to get picked up with Keller on board for Seattle
-Mike Magee: inconsistent as hell, but good for few goals up front
-Jeff Parke: What the hell is Red Cows smoking?
-Kenneth Deuchar: I guess he just didn't cut it with RSL. New chance with Seattle?
-Clint Mathis: interesting...
-Andy Williams: another serviceable midfielder
-Ronnie O'Brien: lulz. did he complain about the pitch in SJ too?
-Rohan Ricketts: I think calculated risk on Mo's part. Even if Seattle picks him up, I think Mo would just get a trade for him back. Of course, we dunno about the rumours about RR wanting to go back to England.
-Tyler Rosenlund: might have just done enough to get picked up by Seattle as back up mid?
-Carlos Ruiz: if his contract is up now, and Seattle can't find anyone better to support that French striker they picked up (Le Tour or something), Seattle might take a chance on Ruiz
-Greg Sutton: calculated risk by Mo that Seattle wont pick up a goalkeeper with Keller on board, plus waste an Int slot.
-Johann Smith: Might complement Ljungberg on the other wing. I think almost a sure pick up for Seattle.

rocker
11-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I haven't seen enough of Johann Smith to care if we lose him or not. He's very rough. Ya, he crossed that ball to Ibby, but it's not like he was doing that all the time. I can only remember a few good situations he got himself into.
He's got speed, a bit of skill, but I'm not sure about the soccer IQ and all those stepovers. His big trick is to kick the ball forward and chase it, hoping he can outrun the other guy. But he does it so often you know what's coming.

I also don't think he showed enough in limited opportunities to be on Seattle's radar. Looking at the lists, I see way more Americans who aren't gonna break the bank but who will contribute more than Smith.
If Johann gets picked it's totally on potential and not on what he actually did. Do expansion teams want the risk tho?

Sutton -- costly backup to Keller, taking up an INT spot.
Attakora -- dev player who must be given a senior INT contract by Seattle if chosen... no way will they take a guy like that.
Rosenlund -- another dev player like Attakora and Gala... will not be chosen. If Montreal was the expansion team picking, then maybe...
Ricketts -- most likely to be chosen I would think... but costly (and they have a DP taking up 400K+ so at some point you have to watch the $$$$). I'm also not sure what Ricketts is contracted to make next year. It could be higher than his season #1 unless Mojo hasn't made an offer. Seattle can reneg contracts, but I don't think that's necessarily a great idea (grab a player and then fuck him over by lowering his salary...)

Lucky Strike
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Some interesting names in the mix. I originally did a doubletake when I saw Gallardo's name on the list, but remembered that Seattle has a DP and will have to trade Gallardo if they did pick him. (which still might happen)

Bear in mind I don't keep track of MLS that often... I may be taking out of my ass :p

Some names that stand out
-Ante Razov: thought the guy got hurt a lot, but still serviceable striker?
-Raphael Wicky: Going from Hertha Berlin, now unprotected on Chivas roster... Injury also hurt him a lot. Could be interesting pick up for DM.
-Tomasz Frankowski: another serviceable guy up front
-Jose Burciaga: seems he's left unprotected in every expansion draft. What is up with this guy?
-Terrry Cooke: pretty decent ex Man U winger with lots of MLS experience. Might be a calculated risk on Colorado's part with Ljungberg also playing wing.
-Eddie Gaven: I'd be very surprised if Seattle doesn't pick him up.
-Pat Noonan: didn't he just come back from Europe?
-Duillo Davino: highly touted by Dallas as CB signed from Mexico, now unprotected. Funny how that works.
-Viktor Sikora: was surprised to find him signed with Dallas. One last kick at the can with Seattle maybe?
-Ben Olsen: how far is he from his recovery? Talisman leader for DC... now unprotected. Man this league is funny.
-Zach Wells and Louis Clayton: both keepers left unprotected? WTF?
-Nate Jaqua: I thought Houston rated this guy.
-Kevin Hartmann: good keeper, but probably not going to get picked up with Keller on board for Seattle
-Mike Magee: inconsistent as hell, but good for few goals up front
-Jeff Parke: What the hell is Red Cows smoking?
-Kenneth Deuchar: I guess he just didn't cut it with RSL. New chance with Seattle?
-Clint Mathis: interesting...
-Andy Williams: another serviceable midfielder
-Ronnie O'Brien: lulz. did he complain about the pitch in SJ too?
-Rohan Ricketts: I think calculated risk on Mo's part. Even if Seattle picks him up, I think Mo would just get a trade for him back. Of course, we dunno about the rumours about RR wanting to go back to England.
-Tyler Rosenlund: might have just done enough to get picked up by Seattle as back up mid?
-Carlos Ruiz: if his contract is up now, and Seattle can't find anyone better to support that French striker they picked up (Le Tour or something), Seattle might take a chance on Ruiz
-Greg Sutton: calculated risk by Mo that Seattle wont pick up a goalkeeper with Keller on board, plus waste an Int slot.
-Johann Smith: Might complement Ljungberg on the other wing. I think almost a sure pick up for Seattle.

The bolded players from your list are the biggest standouts. And of those, Terry Cooke is the mega-surprise. He's had a goal and 12 assists this past season on a mediocre team!!! Hell, we could use him!

Lucky Strike
11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
P.S. Yohan: The French guy on Seattle is Sebastien LeToux who won the Golden boot in the USL in 2007 with 10 goals. He was their first player "promoted" from the USL-1.

Damien
11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Here's our protected list...

http://tfcnews.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/expansion-draft-protection-tfcs-11/

Brennan, Jim
Barrett, Chad
Dichio, Danny
Dunivant, Todd
Edwards, Brian
Guevara, Amado
Ibrahim, Abdus
James, Julius
Marshall, Tyrone
Robinson, Carl
Wynne, Marvel

Yohan
11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
hmmm... Ibby over Ricketts?

Big Bruva
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Yeah both players can play both sides

Wooster_TFC
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
hmmm... Ibby over Ricketts?

Ibby is auto-protected since he's G/A, and isn't supposed to count on the list. They missed Harmse somewhere, though I'd assume that means he's on the protected list.

Big Bruva
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
mental, surprised at Ricketts and Jo Smith

I was shocked too and only found out about an hour ago.

Really shocked at Johann, like i have said before he will be a very good player in this league once he finds his game and has most of the tools.

Blizzard
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Guys chill. :lol:

At most we can lose one player. I'm pretty sure it goes as follows;

Seattle gets to select up to 10 players and they get 10 rounds where they are only allowed to select one unprotected player per round. They are only able to pick one player from any given team throughout all the rounds.

At least that's my understanding from when we were going through the process.

Absolutely right. There is a lot of freaking out going on here for little reason.

ensco
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I was shocked too and only found out about an hour ago.

Really shocked at Johann, like i have said before he will be a very good player in this league once he finds his game and has most of the tools.

Hey BB, if you can say anything about what Rohan knew about this, or feels about this, we'd love to hear it....

rocker
11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Absolutely right. There is a lot of freaking out going on here for little reason.

yep.. when draft time arrives there's always this freak-out as people overvalue our own players and undervalue all the other guys available. I guess it's a product of the fact that we mostly only watch TFC and not the rest of the league.

Anyhow, I see some good players with wayyyy more MLS experience and at much cheaper prices on other teams.

Dirk Diggler
11-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen enough of Johann Smith to care if we lose him or not. He's very rough. Ya, he crossed that ball to Ibby, but it's not like he was doing that all the time. I can only remember a few good situations he got himself into.
He's got speed, a bit of skill, but I'm not sure about the soccer IQ and all those stepovers. His big trick is to kick the ball forward and chase it, hoping he can outrun the other guy. But he does it so often you know what's coming.

I also don't think he showed enough in limited opportunities to be on Seattle's radar. Looking at the lists, I see way more Americans who aren't gonna break the bank but who will contribute more than Smith.
If Johann gets picked it's totally on potential and not on what he actually did. Do expansion teams want the risk tho?

Sutton -- costly backup to Keller, taking up an INT spot.
Attakora -- dev player who must be given a senior INT contract by Seattle if chosen... no way will they take a guy like that.
Rosenlund -- another dev player like Attakora and Gala... will not be chosen. If Montreal was the expansion team picking, then maybe...
Ricketts -- most likely to be chosen I would think... but costly (and they have a DP taking up 400K+ so at some point you have to watch the $$$$). I'm also not sure what Ricketts is contracted to make next year. It could be higher than his season #1 unless Mojo hasn't made an offer. Seattle can reneg contracts, but I don't think that's necessarily a great idea (grab a player and then fuck him over by lowering his salary...)

I completely agree with everything on that post. Especially regarding Johann Smith. People seem to have this immense hard on for him just because he can do the fancy stuff on the field. In terms of substance, he has hardly been impressive.

Also agree with the assessment on the people left out of the protected list. Mo didn't do a bad job.

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 09:09 PM
At a glance of our eligible players, I'd say Ricketts and Johann Smith are really the only players worth looking at for Seattle. As has been mentioned Attakora should be out of the question being an International.

Burciaga Jr. was left unprotected and as a domestic defender under $100k I think that should negate any of our defenders leaving. Unless they stock up on midfielders from everyone else and pick up Velez, which is possible with Vide, Victorine, Gaven (99% picked), Noonan, Gallardo (DP),

Vide is left unprotected, I can see them taking Vide (under $20k) and/or Johann Smith (under $40k) for their midfield utility type player. Victorine at Chivas would be a similar pickup to Ricketts in value and bonus being he's also a domestic for them, but he's 30 now and a veteran of the league where Ricketts still has a career ahead of him. Noonan is also a comparable pick to Ricketts. Ben Olsen is available, but getting on in age considering his $200k+ salary same with O'Brien.

Andy Herron would be a much better pick than Dichio as they are both International forwards in a similar price range, but Herron is only 30 and slightly cheaper. Jaqua would be the domestic equivalent. Actually, I think Andy Williams from RSL would be a steak for under $100k even at 31.

My feeling is that the majority of the teams have left their starting keepers unprotected in favour of the backups, because that is exactly what Seattle needs. They probably don't want an overpaid, under-used, high profile bench player taking up a roster spot.

KC doesn't really have much to offer IMO unless you take a gamble on Ivan Trujillo up front...

Chicago and Chivas have a couple cheap grabs.

Dallas has some young gambles.

DC has plenty to pick from, Columbus as well.

Not really digging what LA has to offer.

Revs and Redbulls have some nice picks available.

RSL have a few decent aging players worth grabbing.

Earthquakes have a couple in Grabavoy and O'Brien.

My conclusion,

Johann Smith - 90%
Ricketts - 9%
Velez - 1%

LucaGol
11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Let's play mock expansion draft:

Seattle selects from ....

Chivas: Ante Razov
Chicago: Brandon Prideaux
Colorado: Facundo Erpen
Columbus: Brad Evans
Dallas: Michael Dello Russo
DC United: Joe Vide
Houston: Craig Waibel
Kansas City: Ryan Pore
Los Angeles: Chris Klein
New England: Khano Smith
New York: Carlos Mendes
Real Salt Lake: Dema Kovalenko
San Jose: Ronnie O'Brien
Toronto: Rohann Ricketts

Wow, I think Seattle is already better than us.

I picked too many attacking players, but remember ... side deals will be made. The idea for the Sounders is to get the best players possible.

Brad Evans and Eddie Gaven unprotected ... the f is Columbus thinking. They must be Europe bound ... otherwise they're crazy.

Mock Seattle team assuming no deals:

-------------- Keller
--- Waibel --- Erpen --- Prideaux
-------------Vide
------ Evans ------ Le Toux
O'Brien ------------------- Ljungberg
---------------Ricketts
----------- Razov

Big Bruva
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I would be very surprised if either J. Smith or Ricketts don’t get picked. Maybe this is a statement about Ricketts future plans or the team has another wide man on their radar - Jamie Peters perhaps?

Forget the talk about Jaime coming here and for sure not now

rocker
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Was the GM of Seattle in his position when Marco Velez was on the Sounders?
I could see Velez being taken.. relatively cheap guy that Seattle would know well.
It would be like when Yallop chose what he knew from TFC: Pozniak.

ensco
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Let's play mock expansion draft:

Seattle selects from ....

Chivas: Ante Razov
Chicago: Brandon Prideaux
Colorado: Facundo Erpen
Columbus: Brad Evans
Dallas: Michael Dello Russo
DC United: Joe Vide
Houston: Craig Waibel
Kansas City: Ryan Pore
Los Angeles: Chris Klein
New England: Khano Smith
New York: Carlos Mendes
Real Salt Lake: Dema Kovalenko
San Jose: Ronnie O'Brien
Toronto: Rohann Ricketts

Wow, I think Seattle is already better than us.

Hey LucaGol your team is going to be over the cap.

Ljungberg $400K, Razov $255K, O'Brien $240K, Ricketts $200K, Kovalenko $200K, Klein $150K, Erpen $125K, plus Keller (salary unknown but it's got to be at least $150K, that's about $2 million for the first 9 players.

ensco
11-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Was the GM of Seattle in his position when Marco Velez was on the Sounders?
I could see Velez being taken.. relatively cheap guy that Seattle would know well.
It would be like when Yallop chose what he knew from TFC: Pozniak.

It works both ways - maybe he won't take him because he knows him. :D

OneLoveOneEric
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Am I the only person that isn't awestruck by Sutton? Not that impressive a keeper to me. He looks unreal most of the time because he has to stop about 20 shots a game, but his handling of crosses etc isn't anything special....

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 09:57 PM

Ljungberg $400K, Razov $255K, O'Brien $240K, Ricketts $200K, Kovalenko $200K, Klein $150K, Erpen $125K, plus Keller (salary unknown but it's got to be at least $150K, that's about $2 million for the first 9 players.

Yeah, when I first saw his list, I was wondering if he owned a calculator...haha!!!

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 10:00 PM

Exactly. If the draft was that easy, Mo would have picked completely differently when we were in the same position.

Am I the only person that isn't awestruck by Sutton? Not that impressive a keeper to me. He looks unreal most of the time because he has to stop about 20 shots a game, but his handling of crosses etc isn't anything special....

I've been saying that since the beginning. He's lanky and blocks a lot of shots because of that. He hesitates too much, he can't distribute worth shit and too many of the shots he does block, go straight out in front of the net again rather than parrying them away. His positioning isn't that great either.

GabrielHurl
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, when I first saw his list, I was wondering if he owned a calculator...haha!!!

Not to mention Seattle only get 10 picks

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Not to mention the amount of players being played out of position.
Letoux as a defending mid?
Dude is striker

kshep
11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
You all keep forgetting that Seattle has the right to renegotiate any contracts up or down of the players they select in the expansion draft as per expansion draft rules.

Right to Renegotiate
• Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.

So they might be able to take a few more higher paid guys than people are assuming.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Forget the talk about Jaime coming here and for sure not now

Really? BB do you have any info. on his current situation? I was under the impression that Ipswich are having a hard time getting him loaned out. Also, I thought his visa could be in jeopardy as he’s not playing

arsenal
11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I can see them taking Vide (under $20k) and/or Johann Smith (under $40k) for their midfield utility type player.

My conclusion,

Johann Smith - 90%
Ricketts - 9%
Velez - 1%

Johann was at 47k in the salary list .... but was that full salary or only the prorated portion since he came late in the season?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-24-2008, 10:30 PM

and Danny Dichio is protected?? strange move by TFC:eek:

kshep
11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
No, Dichio being protected makes total sense.. he the face of the franchise.

Nuvinho
11-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Guys SS may take (realistic):

Chi - Pappa (D) - $33,000
Chv - Curtin (D) - $104,000 (unsure about this)
Clb - Moffat (M) - $17,700 or Garey (F) - $60,625
Col - Erpen (F) - $125,000 (unsure about this)
Dal - Della-Russo (D) - $33,000
DC - Vide (M) - $19,200
Hou - Ashe (M) - $33,000
KC - Pore (F) - $67,310
LA - Allen (F) - $12,900 (just b/c he is cheap)
NE - Thompson (M) - $33,000 (over Smith who is an Int'l)
NY - Parke (D) - $58,800 (susp but worth a risk)
RSL - Kovalenko (M) - $208,000
SJ - O'Brien (M) - $258,750
TFC - Jo.Smith (M) - $48,000

----------------------------------------------------------

10 players total - $849,750

---------------------------------------------------------

Current squad:

Keller (GK) - $200,000 (assuming)
Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000
----------------------------------------------------------------

14 players total $1,578,750

Seattle can now use Demo and ROB as trade bait for picks or allocation, etc.

I guess I was a little bored, hence I did this.

Big Bruva
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Really? BB do you have any info. on his current situation? I was under the impression that Ipswich are having a hard time getting him loaned out. Also, I thought his visa could be in jeopardy as he’s not playing

I know JP is not interested in playing in the MLS but hey if it came down to not having much choice you never know.

I think JP would prefer to play in League 1 rather than the MLS so i cant see him coming here for now.

Big Bruva
11-24-2008, 11:52 PM
No, Dichio being protected makes total sense.. he the face of the franchise.

lol makes me laugh when people say this.

You can be the face of the franchise all you want but if you are a certain age, injury prone and unsure if you even want to play again there will always be questions as to why you protect DD over RR as an international player BUT like it has been said would Seattle really take RR considering he is one of the higher earners and is an inernational player?

Nodoubtguy
11-25-2008, 12:16 AM
lol makes me laugh when people say this.

You can be the face of the franchise all you want but if you are a certain age, injury prone and unsure if you even want to play again there will always be questions as to why you protect DD over RR as an international player BUT like it has been said would Seattle really take RR considering he is one of the higher earners and is an inernational player?

I don't get the protecting DD thing either. If the objective is to keep them both...they should have protected RR because honestly, I don't see to many teams looking to pick up 33 year olds with a history of head injuries....

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 12:41 AM
well, we still havent heard whether or not RIcketts is signed on for another year, so what might happen is the following:

He doesnt accept any offers until after the draft
He doesnt get picked, he accepts an offer from TFC and stays
He does get picked, he decides to go back to the UK make more money, possibly play at a higher level

Ive noticed a ton of speculation (just about everywhere) thinking JoSmith will be going to Seattle. Sigh. Pretty sad about that, had alot of promise. I just hope Mo has a better replacement...

J .
11-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Not too shocked by the moves, in fact I like what Mo has done. There is alot of high priced talent for Seattle to look at. Razov, Gaven...Id take Razov over Ricketts. Heck trade Ricketts for Razov. Anyway, here is my take on the guys who make get picked.

Sutton wont be going anywhere. A) Keller B) International and if the rumours about us getting in the RSL keeper come true, then Sutton would likely be a backup to him and Edwards shipped out. Fine by me.

Ricketts and JoSmith never really showed they are everyday guys. Don't hate fellas, but Ricketts was a magician sometimes - great then next game*poof* he's gone. Too many *poofs* this season. Crazylegs Smith needs to put braces on his lower body or a shock collar when he tries to do too much.

I love they goes at guys but defenders get up on Smith, close him down quick before his speed is an asset in the open field. One cross in NY doesn't make up for countless giveaways and try too hard mistakes. Ricketts just doesn't get it done to justify his pay and in a physical league gets pushed around. Seattle won't spend on him and I think taking JoSmith when he isn't ready while there are other options at that position.

Jarrod Smith counts as an American as he lived there for a few years. I would not count him out either. He has played the wing and could be a back up striker. Cheap addition. He could fit in with them quite well. He would definitely be a depth player, something they need and in more control over himself than JoSmith.

Hunter Freeman would be an attractive asset to bring in. While he is looking to Europe, maybe Seattle talks him into playing for them. He is versatile and would be an asset Seattle could use.

Ruiz showed, occasionally, he can play. Personally, I hate Guatemala so I would not miss him. He did hustle sometimes and while people hate him there were times I thought he showed glimpses of what he did. Seattle would be a touch foolish to not see if they could bring Ruiz in at a cheaper price.

Velez is also a choice. They need defenders and he is not that old. He had the same disappearing problems Ricketts had. Still as a backup he is not a bad selection to fill a roster while paying more for other available talent.

Nana I see as a future CMNT starter and could be an all-star CB in MLS. He is young, talented and with some more experience will start for TFC one day. If I was Seattle I would take a long look at him. He would be a steal for someone who can play minutes now with great future upside.

The rest of the guys I don't see even getting a sniff from Seattle.

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Hunter Freeman would be an attractive asset to bring in. While he is looking to Europe, maybe Seattle talks him into playing for them. He is versatile and would be an asset Seattle could use.

He has already signed a contract in Europe.

J .
11-25-2008, 02:02 AM
He has already signed a contract in Europe.

Well thats too bad, he was a good MLS player. Where did he head off to?

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Sutton wouldnt be picked as per reasons stated above
1 - Would count as International
2 - They have Keller
3 - Hartmann is available

Ricketts would probably only be picked as trade bait, however at the risk of losing him to europe, Seattle probably wouldn't push any buttons

Johan Smith is most likely to be chosen. Young, American, good potential, fast

Attakora is also attractive, young, fairly solid and can only improve, could be used as trade bait but more likely as starter.

Protecting DD is nice and all, and yes hes the "face" of the club and a TFC legend, blah blah blah (no disrespect to DD) but why couldn't DD exercise the right to end his career with the 08 season if he is picked by seattle and just stay on board with TFC in some coaching role? (just a thought)

I know people have qualms about protecting ricketts or jo smith due to their inconsistency, but in all reality, they are the best we currently have. I mean sure we could bring in someone else, but whose to say they aren't as inconsistent or worse? I think losing Jo smith is a big loss. Given 2 more years he could be huge on the left side (who else has a decent left footed cross?)

Protecting Harmse? Really? Seriously? The same Harmse I yell at everytime hes on the pitch? The same Harmse that infuriates me wit his presence on the field? The same Harmse that (i think people get the picture). Maybe I'm not giving him a chance, but I haven't seen much positive to consider.

ensco
11-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Guys SS may take (realistic):

Chi - Pappa (D) - $33,000
Chv - Curtin (D) - $104,000 (unsure about this)
Clb - Moffat (M) - $17,700 or Garey (F) - $60,625
Col - Erpen (F) - $125,000 (unsure about this)
Dal - Della-Russo (D) - $33,000
DC - Vide (M) - $19,200
Hou - Ashe (M) - $33,000
KC - Pore (F) - $67,310
LA - Allen (F) - $12,900 (just b/c he is cheap)
NE - Thompson (M) - $33,000 (over Smith who is an Int'l)
NY - Parke (D) - $58,800 (susp but worth a risk)
RSL - Kovalenko (M) - $208,000
SJ - O'Brien (M) - $258,750
TFC - Jo.Smith (M) - $48,000

10 players total - $849,750

Current squad:

Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000

14 players total $1,578,750

Seattle can now use Demo and ROB as trade bait for picks or allocation, etc.

I guess I was a little bored, hence I did this.

Nuvinho this is almost exactly what I think they'll do.

My only different picks are from Columbus and Houston - I think they'll take Gaven, could be Evans also....and I think Waibel has to be taken, he'd be their Brennan in the back.

You have to take ROB if he's available. Weird that he is, though. Huckerby won't be happy if he goes - ROB gave him most of his good service.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Agree with ensco there, Gaven and Waibel should be taken. My other change might be Williams instead of Kovalenko on RSL.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Well thats too bad, he was a good MLS player. Where did he head off to?

The club is IK Start and it's in Finland I believe...

ensco
11-25-2008, 08:13 AM
The club is IK Start and it's in Finland I believe...

Norway. Same league as Lapira.

denime
11-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Why protect an International keeper(Edwards) who will never be a lock at starting?? Second of all why is Monsalve not our second keeper.. I know he's young and a tad on the small side, but he was trump in the match against Villa last year.

Give the Canadian kid the shot Mo, Edwards has never not looked shaky in goal and frankly scares the crap out of me when we call upon him.

Sutton is International player for Seattle,so it does make sense .Seattle is not going to use international spot for a goalie.Sutton unprotected is smart move.Leave Edwards unprotected and he is gone,since Seattle has older starter a young American backup goalie would be good for them.
As for RR,we should look who else is unprotected on his position and how much are they making and if certain players are internationals or not.They are so many things to look into it.

Oldtimer
11-25-2008, 08:35 AM
No way Sutton would be picked. He'd be an expensive international, which would make a poor #2 GK.

I'd say there is a good chance they'd pick Johann over Ricketts. Similar player, much less expensive.

Ricketts is here to play under JC, if they selected him, he'd be back to England, so I really can't see it, unless they pick him just to hold TFC hostage.

I'd say there is a reasonable chance that TFC won't lose any players given the depth of what is available. If we do, it will be Johann that will go.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 08:53 AM
The more I look at it, the more I come to the conclusion that Velez may be a solid pickup for Seattle. He's played there previously, he's cheap, and they need backline players that can slot into the starting XI.

There is a risk in taking Parke due to his suspension (not sure how long?) that Seattle may not want to deal with and kind of negates him as trade bait as well.

Della-Russo is a third year MLS player with only 8 games played last season, 9 total career MLS games. Potential is there, but definitely not someone to rely on for a starting XI defense.

Pappa is an International defender who's relatively cheap, a may be worth a shot.

Jim Curtin is a decent starting defender, but is he worth $40k+ more than Velez who would count as a domestic as well? I'm not so sure.

Despite the hate for Velez on this board, I think he's an average starting MLS defender and Seattle may very well take him over Johann who is still a work in progress compared to Velez who is a WYSIWYG defender.

Steve
11-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Protecting DD is nice and all, and yes hes the "face" of the club and a TFC legend, blah blah blah (no disrespect to DD) but why couldn't DD exercise the right to end his career with the 08 season if he is picked by seattle and just stay on board with TFC in some coaching role? (just a thought)

I understand that thought, and believe me, it's one I've had as well, but there must be a rule we aren't seeing. Think about it, who did we select when we were in the same situation? Mr. Jason Kreis who, after RSL traded him back from us, immediately retired and went on to coach for them. So, if it were as easy as laughing in the face of your new club, retiring, and going back to work for your old club, wouldn't Kreis have done that? No, there must be some sort of regulation that prevents that.

And, in that light, it makes sense to protect Danny. Other teams wouldn't necessarily want him to play for them, but they know he wants to be in Toronto, and they know we want him here (in some capacity). So, if they are smart, they would pull the same move we pulled against RSL.

Hitcho
11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Too much focus on what Seattle might do in this thread. It's not about them, it's about us (from our point of view at least). Mo knows that whoever is left unprotected might go so you have to assume he has a contingency plan in place. It might be that we're lining up someone to play LM next season, so Mo left JS unprotected because he'd be replaced immediately if he was taken.

Same goes for Velez - maybe there's a CB being lined up and Mo wants Velez off the books.

Mo's not stupid, he's quite canny actually. I expect there's a logic to his decisions which we won't know about, and he's shown before he's quite good at fleecing people and getting TFC a good deal. Don't forget he's openly said he was planning a deal with SS for their first round draft pick, so maybe he's left open players he thinks he can package up in a trade with their draft pick for whatever he was planning on giving them. There are lots of possibilities.

PS - Dichio, Brennan and Robbo would have been the first three names on my protected list...

Hitcho
11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
You all keep forgetting that Seattle has the right to renegotiate any contracts up or down of the players they select in the expansion draft as per expansion draft rules.

Right to Renegotiate
• Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.

So they might be able to take a few more higher paid guys than people are assuming.

What happens if they pick someone with a high salary and try to negotiate it lower, but the player doesn't agree? Are they stuck with the player's current salary, or do they have to "unpick" them from the expansion draft and leave that player at their current club? If not, what happens if their expansion picks put them over the cap limit and none of the players will negotiate down? Are they allowed to stay over? This seems like a bit of a messy rule to me... :noidea:

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Too much focus on what Seattle might do in this thread. It's not about them, it's about us (from our point of view at least). Mo knows that whoever is left unprotected might go so you have to assume he has a contingency plan in place. It might be that we're lining up someone to play LM next season, so Mo left JS unprotected because he'd be replaced immediately if he was taken.

Same goes for Velez - maybe there's a CB being lined up and Mo wants Velez off the books.

Mo's not stupid, he's quite canny actually. I expect there's a logic to his decisions which we won't know about, and he's shown before he's quite good at fleecing people and getting TFC a good deal. Don't forget he's openly said he was planning a deal with SS for their first round draft pick, so maybe he's left open players he thinks he can package up in a trade with their draft pick for whatever he was planning on giving them. There are lots of possibilities.

PS - Dichio, Brennan and Robbo would have been the first three names on my protected list...

I'm not so sure that focusing just on our side is the right thing to do. I think you have to shift a lot of the focus on what Seattle is going to be looking at picking from around the league. Otherwise you're basing judgement without actually having a frame of reference. What if Seattle picks mostly seasoned veterens, or mostly young kids with potential. It completely changes who they could be going after in the draft.

I'm sure Mo has his thoughts about who Seattle will pick, in fact he may already have been in contact and know exactly who they plan to pick. He knows where he wants to improve the squad and the players he is looking at already. In that sense, I agree.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
What happens if they pick someone with a high salary and try to negotiate it lower, but the player doesn't agree? Are they stuck with the player's current salary, or do they have to "unpick" them from the expansion draft and leave that player at their current club? If not, what happens if their expansion picks put them over the cap limit and none of the players will negotiate down? Are they allowed to stay over? This seems like a bit of a messy rule to me... :noidea:

Then the player goes on Waivers.

Damien
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Despite the hate for Velez on this board, I think he's an average starting MLS defender and Seattle may very well take him over Johann who is still a work in progress compared to Velez who is a WYSIWYG defender.

Please please please take him!!!

Actually I'm a lil surprise we're dangling Velez, I thought Carver has a hard-on for him. He continuously started games and wore the armband the one he got red carded.

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. The rumour going around is that Seattle is going to pick players (defenders) for LA (as per twitter on MLSrumors). Maybe Mo wants someone on the unprotected list as well.

Hitcho
11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Then the player goes on Waivers.

What's waivers? :(

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
What's waivers? :(

Well if you can't afford their salary come the start of the season, they get placed on Waivers.

From MLSNET.COM

(G.) WAIVERS
A team may place a player on waivers at any time during the regular season at which point he is made available to all other teams. The waiver claiming period shall commence on the first business day after the League delivers notice to teams and shall expire at 5:00 p.m. EST on the second business day after the Waiver Period Commencement Date. The claiming period is 48 hours.
Clubs each have the opportunity of claiming a player off waivers in reverse order based on points-per-game total during a given season. If the waivers occur before every team has played three regular season games, the point totals of the previous year are instead taken into consideration with the team with the worst point total having the first option.
Once a team selects a player off waivers, that club is automatically moved to the bottom of the priority list for subsequent waiver selections in a given season, regardless of its points-per-game total. Players who may be placed on the MLS waiver wire are as follows:

A player waived by an MLS team in the current season
A player who completed his college eligibility within the past season that was not made available in either the SuperDraft or Supplemental Draft; or
a player who has played in MLS previously where his last MLS team does not wish to exercise their right of first refusal or no longer has the right of first refusal since 12 months have passed since the player's date of release, except in the case of returning U.S. National Team players as stated above.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Please please please take him!!!

Actually I'm a lil surprise we're dangling Velez, I thought Carver has a hard-on for him. He continuously started games and wore the armband the one he got red carded.

Yes, but that was until our captain-of-the-day got himself stupidly redcarded by retaliating against Eskandarian who was also sent-off. In other words, Carver has placed his trust in him and he betrayed him. He's been in the doghouse ever since and I think ever since that moment, he was always going to be gone. If he's not picked, you can be sure he'll be traded, waived or something.

Parkdale
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
In other words, Carver has placed his trust in him and he betrayed him. He's been in the doghouse ever since and I think ever since that moment, he was always going to be gone. If he's not picked, you can be sure he'll be traded, waived or something.

hard to say. I've always seen Brennan, Dichio, Marshal and Velez being really buddy-buddy in practices. Maybe Velez is doing that old 'Tie Domi' angle of become friends with the Captains and respected leaders of the team to get a little security.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
hard to say. I've always seen Brennan, Dichio, Marshal and Velez being really buddy-buddy in practices. Maybe Velez is doing that old 'Tie Domi' angle of become friends with the Captains and respected leaders of the team to get a little security.

Or... maybe he's actually a nice guy who gets along with his team mates? :rolleyes:

Chemistry is one of the biggest factors in a teams performance. Having your backline in sync is key.

Many teams have player room together on trips to help build those relationships and improve team moral.

But... no, it couldn't be that. :noidea:

ensco
11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Face it, both Marshall and Velez had strong games, and weak games, last year. They're not that bad, and not that great. Classic middle of the pack players.

If we spend dollars in midfield and at striker, then they'll be back.

Personally, I'd like to see Jimmy B back playing 2700 minutes at CB.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Face it, both Marshall and Velez had strong games, and weak games, last year. They're not that bad, and not that great. Classic middle of the pack players.

If we spend dollars in midfield and at striker, then they'll be back.

Personally, I'd like to see Jimmy B back playing 2700 minutes at CB.

Technically true, but his weak games far outnumbered his strong games. And the weak games, were tremendously weaker than his strong games were strong. Tough explaining that...

Either way, you need to know you can count on a player and know which one is going to show up: The hard-working, solid player or the douche who plays without a brain and works hard to find a way to conjure up a penalty from nothing (e.g. in LA at the start of the season).

Reg_Sims
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Here is who I think Seattle could take and why..

Current squad:

Keller (GK) - $200,000 (assumed)
Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000

1. (From Colorado) To have a decent backup goalie in case Keller gets hurt, I would choose Preston Burpo from Colorado. Decent goalie and cheap at 55K
2. (From Chicago) Every good team needs a solid centerback, and they can get one in Brandon Prideaux. The team doesnt need youth, and they can get a solid back for only 72K
3. (From Columbus) Solid midfielder in Brad Evans, and he's young and cheap for 33K. Will be around for years in Seattle learning frrom Ljunberg next year.
4. (From New England) Forward Khano Smith, good speed, cheap at 46K, and will offset LeToux wonderfully next year. Salary = 46K
5. (From Shite Bulls) Jeff Parke, Cheap and will fill in fine on the back line for the Sounders in 08. Salary 57K
6. (From Toronto FC) Marco Velez, used to have connections with Seattle and the fans will welcome him back. Salary 60K
7. (From Houston) Team continues to pick speedy players, and they will grab Nate Jaqua for only 130K. (Local Boy...)
8. (From D.C United) Good young midfielder that wont see starting minutes but will in 2010 in Joe Vide. Salary = 17K
9. (From Dallas FC) Filler pick for Defence in Aaron Pitchklan. Young and cheap at 33K
10. (From Kansas City) The Team will pick up Hartman, and Trade him for a 1st round pick..

Roster
COL - P.Burpo - 55,000
CHI - B.Prideaux - 72,000
NYSB - J.Parke - 57,000
DAL - A.Pitchkolan - 33,000
TOR - M.Velez - 60,000
CLB - B.Evans - 33,000
HOU - N.Jaqua - 130,000
DC - J.Vide - 17,000
NE - K.Smith - 46,000
KC - K.Hartman - (Will be traded for picks)

9 players total - $917,000 (Raises will make it around 1,000,000)

Current squad:

Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000

They will be way under the cap, and in the draft, they will select two Defenders in the draft to patch up the back line in hopes that 1 of them will become a starter.

Starting Lineup:
------(2009 Seattle Sounders)----------
----------------Keller------------------
-Velez----Parke---Prideaux---Draft Pick-
---------------------------------------
-K.Smith---Nyassi--Evans---Ljundberg--
--------Jaqua--------Le Toux----------

stretchthetruth
with all the back room deals that can happen, i think i'm going to wait until tomorrow to cry over RR or JoSmith... like Shaughno said, its possible (probable) Mo has already been in contact with Seattle and has a good idea of what they want... these things seem to go one of 2 ways, the first being straightforward (almost never, actually) and the 2nd being tons of side deals and wheeling and dealing on the day of... should be interesting, but i get a feeling RR will be with us next year.

Hitcho
I'd like to see Jimmy playing 2700 minutes anywgere except in goal or up front.

We all dream of a team of Jimmy B's (etc)

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Here is who I think Seattle could take and why..

Current squad:

Keller (GK) - $200,000 (assumed)
Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000

1. (From Colorado) To have a decent backup goalie in case Keller gets hurt, I would choose Preston Burpo from Colorado. Decent goalie and cheap at 55K
2. (From Chicago) Every good team needs a solid centerback, and they can get one in Brandon Prideaux. The team doesnt need youth, and they can get a solid back for only 72K
3. (From Columbus) Solid midfielder in Brad Evans, and he's young and cheap for 33K. Will be around for years in Seattle learning frrom Ljunberg next year.
4. (From New England) Forward Khano Smith, good speed, cheap at 46K, and will offset LeToux wonderfully next year. Salary = 46K
5. (From Shite Bulls) Jeff Parke, Cheap and will fill in fine on the back line for the Sounders in 08. Salary 57K
6. (From Toronto FC) Marco Velez, used to have connections with Seattle and the fans will welcome him back. Salary 60K
7. (From Real Salt Lake) Team continues to pick speedy players, and they will grab Andy Williams for only 80K.
8. (From D.C United) Good young midfielder that wont see starting minutes but will in 2010 in Joe Vide. Salary = 17K
9. (From Dallas FC) Filler pick for Defence in Aaron Pitchklan. Young and cheap at 33K
10. (From Kansas City) The Team will pick up Hartman, and Trade him for a 1st round pick..

Roster
COL - P.Burpo - 55,000
NYSB - J.Parke - 57,000
TOR - M.Velez - 60,000
CLB - B.Evans - 33,000
RSL - A.Williams - 80,000
DC - J.Vide - 17,000
NE - K.Smith - 46,000

9 players total - $867,000 (Raises will make it around 1,000,000)

Current squad:

Nyassi (M) - $33,000
Le Toux (F) - $96,000
Ljunberg (W) - $400,000

They will be way under the cap, and in the draft, they will select two Defenders in the draft to patch up the back line in hopes that 1 of them will become a starter.

Starting Lineup:
------(2009 Seattle Sounders)----------
----------------Keller------------------
-Velez----Parke---Prideaux---Draft Pick-
-A.Williams-Nyassi--Evans---Ljundberg--
--------K.Smith------Le Toux----------

Best breakdown I've seen so far. Kinda what I was getting at last night, but was too tired to put it all together properly. :lol:

EastYork
11-25-2008, 11:13 AM
They will most likely pick Smith or Velez, due to them being domestics who don't cost much.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Technically true, but his weak games far outnumbered his strong games. And the weak games, were tremendously weaker than his strong games were strong. Tough explaining that...

Either way, you need to know you can count on a player and know which one is going to show up: The hard-working, solid player or the douche who plays without a brain and works hard to find a way to conjure up a penalty from nothing (e.g. in LA at the start of the season).

Look at the 'mistakes' that Velez had made throughout the season. Many of those mistakes happened because he was in no man's land. Big mistake for a defender, but at the same time it was because he was trying to pick up an extra man. I don't know how many times Wynne would get caught up field, Marshall would push across to cover and bam! Velez has two men to cover. Or Marshall would lose his man and Velez is in the same situation.

There is only so much you can do as a defender, especially when your defensive partners aren't getting their job done. Sorry to say, but Marvell was hardly the best defender in the squad and routinely left holes in our backline because of his advances up field. Robbo tried to help cover those holes, but Sutton's lack of communication at times definitely didn't help either.

It really amazes me that so many people who have such a strong opinion on the game, really miss the most important aspects.

Yes Velez is an average defender at best, but when his partners were performing, he was typically performing quite well.

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Best breakdown I've seen so far. Kinda what I was getting at last night, but was too tired to put it all together properly. :lol:

I agree.

This is keeping me occupied during the offseason, trying to figure out the expansion draft selections, after tomorrow, we'll start on the superdraft.......haha!!!

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Velez was good at putting his hand up and looking at the linesman.

ensco
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Very different from what I think will happen. We should have a pool of some sort.

ACSertL
11-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Isn't Velez a natural Right Back as well?

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Isn't Velez a natural Right Back as well?

Well, he started as a striker. Then moved to Right Back, where I believe he plays for his country. We are the only ones that I know of, who have played him in the center.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Velez was good at putting his hand up and looking at the linesman.

Not as good as Guevara. ;)

GhostPK
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I understand that thought, and believe me, it's one I've had as well, but there must be a rule we aren't seeing. Think about it, who did we select when we were in the same situation? Mr. Jason Kreis who, after RSL traded him back from us, immediately retired and went on to coach for them. So, if it were as easy as laughing in the face of your new club, retiring, and going back to work for your old club, wouldn't Kreis have done that? No, there must be some sort of regulation that prevents that.

And, in that light, it makes sense to protect Danny. Other teams wouldn't necessarily want him to play for them, but they know he wants to be in Toronto, and they know we want him here (in some capacity). So, if they are smart, they would pull the same move we pulled against RSL.

Yea, that was the only thing I could see... unless DD REALLY REALLY wants to play next year.

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/clarifying-the-pappa-and-parke-situations.html?cid=140385268#comments

Ives has some info on Pappa and Parke

I hope he does a mock draft.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Interesting info on Pappa and Parke. Further upping the value of Velez.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 11:43 AM
It really amazes me that so many people who have such a strong opinion on the game, really miss the most important aspects.

Well, that's like saying: My perspective is more objective that yours, therefore I’m right. :rolleyes: I could easily turn around and say that you’re the one missing the big picture, therefore I’m right. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that’s not the point. I see what you’re saying, but to me, the glaring errors I remember are the penalty he somehow managed gave in LA, getting turned inside out repeatedly on 1-on-1s (actually Donovan made him look like a fool in that same game), missing headers completely, and the red card he stupidly picked up against Chivas by retaliating. Those are the things that mark Velez as a horrible defender in my mind; that he did to himself.

P.S. This whole post was written in a non-confrontational tone. I don't know if it comes across but I'm just jostling you about the perspective thing.

ensco
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
I would trade Marshall plus something to Seattle for Parke.

He is a terrific CB, only 25 years old....

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, that's like saying: My perspective is more objective that yours, therefore I’m right. :rolleyes: I could easily turn around and say that you’re the one missing the big picture, therefore I’m right. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that’s not the point. I see what you’re saying, but to me, the glaring errors I remember are the penalty he somehow managed gave in LA, getting turned inside out repeatedly on 1-on-1s (actually Donovan made him look like a fool in that same game), missing headers completely, and the red card he stupidly picked up against Chivas by retaliating. Those are the things that mark Velez as a horrible defender in my mind; that he did to himself.

P.S. This whole post was written in a non-confrontational tone. I don't know if it comes across but I'm just jostling you about the perspective thing.

I wasn't aiming my post directly at you or your post, it was a general statement.

Remember though, Velez had never played CB until this past year... it's also the hardest role to adapt to on the pitch. Stick him at RB and Marvell into the midfield and you'll see both of them excel at levels we haven't seen. IMO of course, as it takes them both away from the weaker points of their games.

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I would trade Marshall plus something to Seattle for Parke.

He is a terrific CB, only 25 years old....

Fuckin' eh. In a heartbeat.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Parke is going to be missing something like 10 games or something for the drugs, no?

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
4 games next season, but as mentioned his contract is up and may not sign with the MLS again if he chooses so.

According to Ives anyway.

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Parke is going to be missing something like 10 games or something for the drugs, no?

4 more games I think.

Lucky Strike
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM

The suspension included any playoff matches. So the four that RBNY played plus 2 regular season matches that were left at the time. So he's got four to go. Because NY made it so far in the playoffs, he'd almost be worth it.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 12:21 PM
he'd be worth it if you have relatively decent depth and can risk the first 2 games

Shaughno
11-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I still think a team like ours, who needs a commanding CB, would view Parke as very 'worth it'.

tfcmanu
11-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Sounders FC executives are gearing up for Wednesday's MLS expansion draft, when Seattle will select 10 players. The 14 other MLS teams submitted their lists of 11 players protected from being selected by Seattle, but those not protected can be chosen.

"Former MLS Most Valuable Player Carlos Ruiz, a 30-year-old forward for Toronto FC, is available."

In 2009, MLS teams are allowed 24 players.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soun...sounders25.html (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2008431670_sounders25.html)

Damien
11-25-2008, 12:55 PM
"Former MLS Most Valuable Player Carlos Ruiz, a 30-year-old forward for Toronto FC, is available."

Haha, oh no, please dont take him! :lol:

tfcmanu
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Haha, oh no, please dont take him! :lol:

OOOOH Please take him... FISH Sounders FISH..Hook him in! :p

rocker
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
my only disagreement with Reg_Sims draft summary is the fact he has no picks from Houston.

Houston has lots of guys who would be obvious picks for me if I were Seattle. Jacqua, Mulroney, Barrett, the better Wondolowski brother, Waibel, even Corey Ashe -- young speedy midfielder.
Houston has got to lose somebody there.

if they want a guy to fit the "young speedy midfielder with potential" role I'd take Ashe over Johan Smith.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Ashe has more MLS experience too, pretty decent player that could make a relatively instant impact

Blizzard
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Look at the 'mistakes' that Velez had made throughout the season. Many of those mistakes happened because he was in no man's land. Big mistake for a defender, but at the same time it was because he was trying to pick up an extra man. I don't know how many times Wynne would get caught up field, Marshall would push across to cover and bam! Velez has two men to cover. Or Marshall would lose his man and Velez is in the same situation.

There is only so much you can do as a defender, especially when your defensive partners aren't getting their job done. Sorry to say, but Marvell was hardly the best defender in the squad and routinely left holes in our backline because of his advances up field. Robbo tried to help cover those holes, but Sutton's lack of communication at times definitely didn't help either.

Yes Velez is an average defender at best, but when his partners were performing, he was typically performing quite well.

.... and you haven't even got to Julius yet!

Beach_Red
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
he'd be worth it if you have relatively decent depth and can risk the first 2 games

As long as this league has playoffs, the first few games are pre-season and can be easily risked.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Its true, prefer to see wins myself and theres always concern that it sets pace for the rest of the season (obviously not the case, look at Houston)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
also doesnt help that i way more value in the supporters cup HA

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 02:36 PM
Sean Keays Mock Draft
http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/107

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Sean Keays Mock Draft
http://www.mlsdraft.net/?q=node/107

I agree with most of it.

I think picking Gaven, Parke, and if they pick up ROB, it will be to trade them back to their orginal team.

No way Yallop gave us a 1st round pick and allocation to lose him for nothing. SS will probably trade him back for more allocation.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 02:55 PM
should be interesting for certain.
still a bit bummed at potentially losing JoSmith

Nuvinho
11-25-2008, 03:02 PM
those sneaky farts!!

Red Bulls list of exposed players missing three

If you were wondering how it was that the New York Red Bulls protected 14 players ahead of Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft, the simple answer is they didn't.
The lists released by Major League Soccer for the exposed players in the draft was missing three Red Bulls who were left unprotected. Gabriel Cichero, Andrew Boyens and Terry Boss were left unprotected and are available to be taken by Seattle Sounders FC in the expansion draft.
I will keep you posted on any other changes or corrections to the master MLS expansion draft list.

Steve
11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
As long as this league has playoffs, the first few games are pre-season and can be easily risked.

Exactly! I mean, come on, if we had won our first two games, it would have meant absolutetly nothing to the overall... wait a minute....

ensco
11-25-2008, 04:29 PM
An interesting take from one of the main Seattle FC blogs, speculating on some names you don't hear very often...

http://mlsseattle.blogspot.com/2008/11/expansion-draft-pre-func.html

(I love how their tag line is "We're already better than the Galaxy")

btw, there is a clear consensus on the Seattle bs board that they should pick JoSmith, although Velez' name has been suggested a couple of times

Yohan
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Boyens might look tempting for seattle... though an int spot.

ensco
11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Boyens might look tempting for seattle... though an int spot.

If Seattle pick Boyens (over Parke), I will run naked down the center median of the 401

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Looks like the folks at the score agree with JoSmith as well.
ARG.

seankeay
11-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Like those yahoos at the score have any idea what there talking about ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
HAHAHA
yes, clueless the lot of em

Yohan
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
If Seattle pick Boyens (over Parke), I will run naked down the center median of the 401
Parke apparently is out of contract and might sign for Europe, or so Ives says

jloome
11-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't think they'll pick either Ricketts or Jo Smith. The former is an international, on an option year at relatively high bucks. The latter is tempting. but they've got better options both in the draft and among the players they've bought (Nyassi, Ljunberg and Le Toux can all technically play wide).

Mo's pretty cagey. If I were an expansion franchise, and therefore guaranteed to struggle for goals, I'd be tempted to go after Ruiz; he's only 18 months separated from a decent scoring run in Dallas, he's what, 29? That gives him an edge over Razov.

If Seattle has allocation money to match cap dollars, they wouldn't need a DP slot for him....

...and we may now all commence praying.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Hope youre right Jloome, cept i think i read they spent all the allocation moneys on Keller but thats not to say trades wont occur...

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Christ i hope youre right, dont ask why but ive been fretting over this over the last 48 hours although it doesnt effect me personally and in the greater scheme not make a huge difference on the team. STILL HE SHOWS SO MUCH PROMISE!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:35 AM
also i think Ruiz contract is up (not sure if he'd still be grandfathered either).
But that may allow them to discuss a diff wage with him. He can hardly claim to deserve his current wages

jloome
11-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Well, this is who I'd take in their position:

lider marmol - chicago - cd 109750

Jo Smith - Toronto - 47,600

Eddie Gaven - columbus 165,000

Jeff Parke - nyrb - 58737

Nate Jaqua - houston = 174 125

Wells Thompson - New England - 33,000

Joe Vide - DC United 19,128

Chris Klein - LA 150,000

NAthan Sturgis - RSL 108,000

Ronnie O'Brien - San Jose 258.750

Add in Ljunberg and Nyassi and you've got a decent first team:

---------Keller-----------
Klein -- Marmol -- Parke ---Sturgis

Nyassi --Ljunberg - Thompson --O'Brien

---------Gaven/Le Toux
--------------Jaqua

Plus, vide for toughness, likely another actual starting wingback isntead of Sturgis, who is a young utility guy; same may be true of Thompson; Jo Smith as a the logical next choice on wing, if only because he's $110,000 cheaper than Terry Cooke.

This also assumes they follow through on the early suggestion that Ljunberg will play on the inside.

ensco
11-26-2008, 08:32 AM
It's at 1pm today. here's the complete list of rules
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081124&content_id=206683&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Note the rule about how the protection of internationals works:

Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

TFC Internationals (exposed players in bold):
Guevara
Robinson
Dichio
James
Marshall
Ricketts
Ruiz
Jarrod Smith

You can't just expose all your internationals. This is why Mo exposed JoSmith, he had to pick somebody valuable. It's a hidden cost of loading up on internationals.

Wooster_TFC
11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
It's at 1pm today. here's the complete list of rules
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081124&content_id=206683&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Note the rule about how the protection of internationals works:

Teams may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus 3, provided that if a team has 3 or less international players it may make available not more than 1.

TFC Internationals (exposed players in bold):
Guevara
Robinson
Dichio
James
Marshall
Ricketts
Ruiz
Jarrod Smith

You can't just expose all your internationals. This is why Mo exposed JoSmith, he had to pick somebody valuable. It's a hidden cost of loading up on internationals.

Based on your numbers (which are wrong btw) we could have made available 5 of our internationals (8 - 3 = 5), whereas we made available 3. But, those numbers are wrong. Ruiz, James, Marshall, and Ja Smith all have green cards (or something equivalent) that makes them non-internationals by MLS' viewpoint.

That means:

Robinson
Dichio
Ricketts

Which means we could have protected all of them, or make 1 available. We decided to make Ricketts available.

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Based on your numbers (which are wrong btw) we could have made available 5 of our internationals (8 - 3 = 5), whereas we made available 3. But, those numbers are wrong. Ruiz, James, Marshall, and Ja Smith all have green cards (or something equivalent) that makes them non-internationals by MLS' viewpoint.

That means:

Robinson
Dichio
Ricketts

Which means we could have protected all of them, or make 1 available. We decided to make Ricketts available.

Actually I'm pretty sure to us, the team who is protecting the players, they are considered Internationals.

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Mock draft by Ives.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-expansion-mock-draft.html

JOHANN SMITH (Toronto FC)
You can't teach speed and Seattle could very well turn to arguably the fastest player in MLS by grabbing Smith, a left winger with plenty of promise. Even if Seattle wouldn't plan on keeping Smith, there is certainly interest in the former U.S. Under-20 player from other teams in MLS.

Shaughno
11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Interesting picks. I still would take Vide over Sturgis myself.

Stouffville_RPB
11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
^^ Interesting another former TFC player in Phalen is predicted to be a Sounder

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't mind if Mo got Phelan back in Toronto. Him and Dunivant become valuable to us during international duties, as they can play multiple positions.

tfcmanu
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Club to choose additions from other MLS teams:

Wednesday's expansion draft allows the Sounders to choose one player from 10 of the 14 teams. No team will lose more than one player, and four will not suffer any player losses. The Sounders already have signed four players, will nab 10 players Wednesday and fill out the rest of their roster with 10 players in the MLS Superdraft and free agency.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soccer/389485_sounders26.html (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soccer/389485_sounders26.html)

Reg_Sims
11-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, this is who I'd take in their position:

lider marmol - chicago - cd 109750

Jo Smith - Toronto - 47,600

Eddie Gaven - columbus 165,000

Jeff Parke - nyrb - 58737

Nate Jaqua - houston = 174 125

Wells Thompson - New England - 33,000

Joe Vide - DC United 19,128

Chris Klein - LA 150,000

NAthan Sturgis - RSL 108,000

Ronnie O'Brien - San Jose 258.750

Add in Ljunberg and Nyassi and you've got a decent first team:

---------Keller-----------
Klein -- Marmol -- Parke ---Sturgis

Nyassi --Ljunberg - Thompson --O'Brien

---------Gaven/Le Toux
--------------Jaqua

Plus, vide for toughness, likely another actual starting wingback isntead of Sturgis, who is a young utility guy; same may be true of Thompson; Jo Smith as a the logical next choice on wing, if only because he's $110,000 cheaper than Terry Cooke.

This also assumes they follow through on the early suggestion that Ljunberg will play on the inside.

----- You have way too much money in this list, plus alot of guys that wont play in Seattle on the turf. (O'Brien for sure)
A Ton of cheaper, younger players that are available. Remember if they are under the cap, they will have lots of room to sign players. How many of the TFC expansion players actually played with the team in the first year? (O'Brien?)

Get cheap players that are young, or if they do select the bigger names, get guys that other teams want and trade them for picks...

My list posted earlier with one adjustment for Jaqua (Local boy)
Roster
COL - P.Burpo - 55,000
NYSB - J.Parke - 57,000
TOR - M.Velez - 60,000
CLB - B.Evans - 33,000
HOU - N.Jaqua - 130,000
DC - J.Vide - 17,000
NE - K.Smith - 46,000

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
really dont see them grabbing Velez over JoSmith, ideally itll happen tho (nothing against Velez)

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 11:22 AM
really dont see them grabbing Velez over JoSmith, ideally itll happen tho (nothing against Velez)

Agreed. Although I have plenty against Velez. :rolleyes:

Nodoubtguy
11-26-2008, 11:50 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-expansion-mock-draft.html#more

Ives has his mock draft up.......thinks Johaan Smith will be selected from TFC

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Agreed. Although I have plenty against Velez. :rolleyes:

meh, i save my vitriol for the likes of Cunny, Ruiz, Columbus, Buddle

Damien
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll be incredibly surprised if they don't pick JoSmith. His trade value in the league is worth more than Velez at the very least.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I'll be incredibly surprised if they don't pick JoSmith. His trade value in the league is worth more than Velez at the very least.

for sure.
i gotta get over this.
i really do feel this is gonna bite us in the ass.
Feel like ive been dumped HA
its pretty ridiculous

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
If we want Johann Smith back, Mo could swing a deal with Seattle involving maybe even involving draft picks.

Johan Smith and 1st overall pick to Toronto for the 4th pick and 13th pick.

We'll see what happens, the roster freezes opens up after the draft today.

Damien
11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
We'll see what happens, the roster freezes opens up after the draft today.

I guess maybe we'll find out why Mo was protecting who he was... maybe a trade / signing is in the works?

REDJUVE
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know if today's draft is being televised?

deeznutz
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know if today's draft is being televised?

I was wondering the smae thing video/audio maybe?

anyone?

Damien
11-26-2008, 12:36 PM
According to reports there IS a high profile trade going down today in the MLS... dunno if TFC's involved.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I guess maybe we'll find out why Mo was protecting who he was... maybe a trade / signing is in the works?

it should be expected to be honest, dont see why we would leave a player with high potential that we traded for a high allocation (orwhatever) open for no reason at all

let the games begin.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
According to reports there IS a high profile trade going down today in the MLS... dunno if TFC's involved.

links?

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
I know people won't believe it.......but MSLR is reporting a big trade could go down as well.

Reg_Sims
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I heard Marshall to Seattle.
Just like Jaqua will not be selected, but Seattle will choose a Dyanmo player, then trade said player to Houston back for Jaqua and a draft pick.

Nuvinho
11-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I heard Marshall to Seattle.
Just like Jaqua will not be selected, but Seattle will choose a Dyanmo player, then trade said player to Houston back for Jaqua and a draft pick.

I was just thinking the same thing about Marshall.

Damien
11-26-2008, 12:53 PM
links?

You probably already go here, but... http://twitter.com/mlsrumors

Lucky Strike
11-26-2008, 01:00 PM
You probably already go here, but... http://twitter.com/mlsrumors

Grrr. I signed up for Twitter but am not getting any updates on my phone.

jloome
11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
----- You have way too much money in this list, plus alot of guys that wont play in Seattle on the turf. (O'Brien for sure)
A Ton of cheaper, younger players that are available. Remember if they are under the cap, they will have lots of room to sign players. How many of the TFC expansion players actually played with the team in the first year? (O'Brien?)

Get cheap players that are young, or if they do select the bigger names, get guys that other teams want and trade them for picks...

My list posted earlier with one adjustment for Jaqua (Local boy)
Roster
COL - P.Burpo - 55,000
NYSB - J.Parke - 57,000
TOR - M.Velez - 60,000
CLB - B.Evans - 33,000
HOU - N.Jaqua - 130,000
DC - J.Vide - 17,000
NE - K.Smith - 46,000

Actually, I did the math and that comes to less than half the cap. SO it's not "way too much money", given that it gives them their entire starting lineup and two bench spots as well.