PDA

View Full Version : TFC interested in Chris Seitz? - Ives

Damien
11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-cup-the-rumor-mill-recap.html

One of the hottest commodities in the MLS trade market is Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Chris Seitz. The U.S. youth national team standout is stuck as Nick Rimando's back-up and teams from Los Angeles to Toronto FC have expressed strong interest in his services.

I guess having Sutton & Edwards isn't enough?

David_Oliveira
11-24-2008, 11:50 AM
maybe to trade for allocation money?

Parkdale
11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
it would be a flip deal by Trader Mo. Clearly someone else out there needs a decent GK and might be willing to trade with us.

arbogast
11-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Expansion draft bait. maybe?

Frick
11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
it would be a flip deal by Trader Mo. Clearly someone else out there needs a decent GK and might be willing to trade with us.

Houston?

Pat's getting up there in years.

James Oliphant
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Expansion draft bait. maybe?

Nope. If I remember correctly, rosters are frozen from now 'til expansion draft time.

Superdraft bait, maybe. We still don't own that #1 slot.

Dirk Diggler
11-24-2008, 02:53 PM
If he really is so good that all the teams in the MLS seem to want him, why not acquire him and keep him for the future? I'm rapidly losing faith in Greg Sutton and don't believe he is first choice material anymore.

flatpicker
11-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I say keep the guy so we are still stuck with a player who will get called up for international games.
*sarcasm*

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Agreed there Dirk. Sutton is a good shot stopper, but he's a GOOD USL keeper. Average at best, MLS keeper. IMO anyway. He's hesitant too often, he can't distribute the ball worth shit (more important that many people seem to think) and he's slow to react when he does. I'm more inclined to say his best skill is his lanky arms and legs. Many times he was poorly positioned and only made stops because of his 99 foot wingspan.

VPjr
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Chris Seitz is an outstanding GK. When i watched him tend goal for the US at the U20's (before getting injured), he was extremely impressive.

He'd be an upgrade over Edwards and I think he would definitely be giving Sutton a run for his money to keep the starter's job.

However, i sincerely doubt Toronto has serious interest unless its a straight up trade for Edwards plus giving up a draft pick to even out the deal.

Wooster_TFC
11-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Maybe we don't intend to protect Edwards and are already looking for a replacement in case he gets chosen in the expansion draft?

Keyman
11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Seitz would be a fantastic addition. He's a very talented 'keeper, and a definite future number one. We have multiple assets which we could trade in order to acquire him, and I'm sure we could offer a very attractive package for him.

brad
11-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Agreed there Dirk. Sutton is a good shot stopper, but he's a GOOD USL keeper. Average at best, MLS keeper. IMO anyway. He's hesitant too often, he can't distribute the ball worth shit (more important that many people seem to think) and he's slow to react when he does. I'm more inclined to say his best skill is his lanky arms and legs. Many times he was poorly positioned and only made stops because of his 99 foot wingspan.

Agreed with all the above, but you missed his biggest shortcoming - when he stops shots, he often sends the ball right back down the center of the field. That's a cardinal sin for a goalkeeper, and resulted in a number of goals against us last year.

I'm also not sure that he commands the back line all that well.

Damien
11-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Who knows, maybe TFC traded for Seitz and left Sutton/Edwards unprotected.

Shaughno
11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Agreed with all the above, but you missed his biggest shortcoming - when he stops shots, he often sends the ball right back down the center of the field. That's a cardinal sin for a goalkeeper, and resulted in a number of goals against us last year.

I'm also not sure that he commands the back line all that well.

I'm used to hearing a keeper yell till his lungs are shot behind me when I play. Can't remember seeing Sutton yelling at his back line except when something's gone wrong.

Oh and completely right about the post save part as well.

Stouffville_RPB
11-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Who knows, maybe TFC traded for Seitz and left Sutton/Edwards unprotected.

I don't think TFC need to protect either of them. Seattle has put alot of $$$ is Kasey Keller. I doubt they'd go after another keeper.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
also signed the first string goalie from their USL team