PDA

View Full Version : MLS Cup

johnmolinaro
11-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey guys,

Just a reminder that if you want an alternative from watching ABC's telecast of the MLS Cup on Sunday, CBC will be showing the game, too.

The broadcast starts at 3pm with a preview game show before kickoff at 3:30 pm.

We're showing the Raptors game at 12:30 but that should be over by 3. if not, the pre-game show will still go at 3pm on Bold and CBCSports.ca (we're streaming the game live, too).

Nigel and Jason will be calling the game, and we have a bunch of other stuff on the broadcast, including a 1-on-1 interview with John Carver, Mitch Peacock's interview with Don Garber, a top five Toronto FC goals and MLS goals of the year feature, and Jim Brennan will be in studio as well.

Cheers,
John

JDG
11-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks John! Much rather watch CBC's coverage.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-22-2008, 02:30 PM
nice...hopefully nigel can get to the bottom of the carver rumors! :)

SoccMan
11-22-2008, 02:32 PM
It would have been nice to have shown some of the playoff games on Bold, or some of the other stations like FSW,GolTv or Setanta, but instead nothing and now you expect people to watch the final. Furthermore, what's the purpose of showing this game when it's already on ABC. To make matters worse I have seen zero advertisement of this game by CBC. How the hell do you expect anyone to watch when you don't even promote the game on CBC TV or CBC Radio.

JDG
11-22-2008, 02:48 PM
It would have been nice to have shown some of the playoff games on Bold, or some of the other stations like FSW,GolTv or Setanta, but instead nothing and now you expect people to watch the final. Furthermore, what's the purpose of showing this game when it's already on ABC. To make matters worse I have seen zero advertisement of this game by CBC. How the hell do you expect anyone to watch when you don't even promote the game on CBC TV or CBC Radio.

Maybe they just now secured the rights???
CBC does not get the viewership to justify spending more for more coverage. I'm sure they will be eager to purchase more games when the interst increases. Take a look at the viewership numbrs from this season and you'll see that there isn't much more than double what we fill the stadium with. I'm suprised but grateful to be able to watch it with Canadian commentary.

ensco
11-22-2008, 03:06 PM
CBC should be thanked for making any investment in this at all given (i) the abysmal ratings for TFC games - god only knows what the Crew and Pink Cows will draw, and (ii) they're going head-to-head against the NFL and the Grey Cup pre-game show.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-22-2008, 03:47 PM
im watching on ABC cant stomach cbcs lack of MLS coverage during the playoff run
cbc blows.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-22-2008, 03:50 PM

cbc would not allow fox soccer channel or Gol or Setanta in on the act.
I contaced fox and asked why the mls games stopped on fox soccer canada, and they said it was because of the canadian rights holder (CBC).

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-22-2008, 03:52 PM
CBC does not get the viewership to justify spending more for more coverage. I'm sure they will be eager to purchase more games when the interst increases. Take a look at the viewership numbrs from this season and you'll see that there isn't much more than double what we fill the stadium with. I'm suprised but grateful to be able to watch it with Canadian commentary.
MLSE is going after GOL TV, thats the only way more MLS games will get viewed here..

MEU
11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks John!

I would much rather support a canadian network. I'll be watching on CBC.

nascarguy
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I do not like cbc. i wish there was a better canadian network

Bobo
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM

Who watches anything on CBC besides news and Leafs on Saturdays?

Not a big CBC fan but I'll take it over a US network, especially for football.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I do not like cbc. i wish there was a better canadian network

dont we all....maybe a TFC channel..which looks like in the works may give the MLS coverage that CBC is too cheap too show. the should have put their money towards the MLS playoffs instead of covering the Impact in the CCL, like anyone cared about Montreal?

trane
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
^I care more about a Canadian team, then a bunch of American teams pretending to play footy.

Kickit09
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
CBC blows. i'll be wachting it on ABC.

TorCanSoc
11-22-2008, 11:50 PM
CBC does a good job. What makes ABC better? ABC used to cover at least one game a week. I watched a lot of those games for the sheer novelty of big league N.American soccer. I can't wait for MLSE to take over GolTV and get other market MLS games. That would be cool.

twistedchinaman
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
CBC blows. i'll be wachting it on ABC.

^ ABC blows, I'll be watching on the CBC.

If I have to hear Wynalda call another match, I'm throwing an ax at the TV.

JonO
11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Hopefully it is HD or else it's ABC for me...

The Pope
11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
I may try to stream the sound from CBC but will watch HD on ABC

Redpunkfiddle
11-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Anybody who actually cares about the quality of commentary for a match -who actually likes to listen, you know- will run very far away from ABC and back to Nigel on CBC.

I have never heard so many Buffalo Bill references as I did for last year's ABC broadcast. Enough.

Eastend
11-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Will Nigel and Jason be calling the match from the studios in Toronto or be at the actual game? It does make a difference.

CoachGT
11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
^ ABC blows, I'll be watching on the CBC.

If I have to hear Wynalda call another match, I'm throwing an ax at the TV.

Nigel is the best and he is one of us. When he's calling a game, Nigel gets my vote, no matter what channel he might be on. Nobody does damage to a match the way the US commentators do.

And I appreciate the support CBC has given TFC and MLS and hope that it continues for years to come.

nascarguy
11-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm going to watch both cbc & abc i will flip from cbc to abc just to listin to what both networks have to say. I only want to hear what team will be joining the mls and abc will have there commentators live from la.

cbc needed to send there commentators to la and this just show that cbc does not care about this sportand there just showing the game for the money

JDG
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm going to watch both cbc & abc i will flip from cbc to abc just to listin to what both networks have to say. I only want to hear what team will be joining the mls and abc will have there commentators live from la.

cbc needed to send there commentators to la and this just show that cbc does not care about this sportand there just showing the game for the money

If what you say is true, they wouldn't be showing this game at all. There's no money in showing this game.
I'll be shocked if viewership exceeds 40,000.
I'll say again : Thank You John for being there for us, and televising this game.

dag
11-23-2008, 11:57 AM
In Nigel I trust.

SoccMan
11-23-2008, 12:52 PM
If it's true that Nigel and Jason will be calling the game from a studio in Toronto then why would I watch a game called from a studio 3,000 miles away? I'd rather watch a telecast where the commentators are actualy at the game , the ABC people will be in LA, even if their comentating is not up to par as most people seem to think. However, the whole production of the telecast should be better on ABC, just for the fact that they are actualy in LA and not in a studio and also they have been doing MLS Cup finals on ABC every year since the first one in 1996.

Redpunkfiddle
11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
If it's true that Nigel and Jason will be calling the game from a studio in Toronto then why would I watch a game called from a studio 3,000 miles away? I'd rather watch a telecast where the commentators are actualy at the game , the ABC people will be in LA, even if their comentating is not up to par as most people seem to think. However, the whole production of the telecast should be better on ABC, just for the fact that they are actualy in LA and not in a studio and also they have been doing MLS Cup finals on ABC every year since the first one in 1996.

Because the ABC commentators could be sitting on the goalposts or strapped to the backs of the players and still call the game like shit compared to Nigel.

They talked about Lance Armstrong last time. Enough.

ilikemusic
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
HD?

:poke:

Redpunkfiddle
11-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Here is a bit more from last time- the 'stats' graphics covering the view during play, the constant close ups of players during play- we can talk about production values, I guarantee.