PDA

View Full Version : Should TFC make a pitch for Christian Gomez

VPjr
11-21-2008, 05:16 PM
From Steve Goff's blog

"Colorado is trying to move Christian Gomez and dump his 2009 guaranteed contract of around $400,000. Gomez barely played the final few months of the season under then-interim coach Gary Smith, who clearly doesn't think much of the 2006 MVP. My hunch is that, if they find a suitor, the Rapids will have to continue paying a portion of his salary next year. Colorado already re-signed Pablo Mastroeni to a new deal that approaches designated player range"

can Guevara and Gomez co-exist?

is it one or the other?

which one is better?

jloome
11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes, no and no. Guevara is better, Gomez is a good player who seems to have lost the drive this year and was perma-benched. But he'll be 36 next season, and his second gear is gone as well. We don't need two guys playing the same role.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
How much does he cost and what do they want for him?
Also is he an Attacking mid or deep lying striker?
DUnno if hes worth his contract at this age, especially after this last season... granted it was for colorado

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 05:26 PM
tend to agree with jloome tho, Guevara is pretty much better overall

Lucky Strike
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
If we pick him up, for it to be worth it (at least in my view), Colorado would have to pick up 300K of his 400K salary and he'd have to serve as Guevara's backup. Intersting idea though: I hadn't thought of it.

arsenal
11-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, no and no. Guevara is better, Gomez is a good player who seems to have lost the drive this year and was perma-benched. But he'll be 36 next season, and his second gear is gone as well. We don't need two guys playing the same role.

Correction ... he just turned 34 and won't turn 35 until the playoffs next season (Nov 7).

Yohan
11-21-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't think Gomez would want to play second fiddle to Guevara

RealG-TFC
11-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Yessss~!!!

rocker
11-21-2008, 06:46 PM
I'd take Gomez if Colorado wants to get him out and is willing to pay a significant portion of his salary.
Guevara is gonna be gone a lot next year I think, given that Honduras qualified for the next WC CONCACAF round. We need a guy who's good in the midfield and won't be disappearing.

James Oliphant
11-21-2008, 06:57 PM
We should have made a stronger pitch for him last year when DC was trying to move him...but then we got Guevara, so...

jloome
11-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd much rather we make a pitch for Kenny Cooper.

Seriously, he apparently told Dallas he'd stay for DP money, but they only want to offer $ 375,000 per season.

So fuck it, let's trade for him if he's willing to stay in MLS and give him the same $1.7 mil a season Angel is getting. He's a 15-goal plus scorer, which is what we're looking for in a DP anyway, and it would send a hell of a signal from the league owners to the players on what you can accomplish (see also: Luciano Emilio) if you stay.

Jack
11-21-2008, 08:09 PM
My take on it:

FUCK Christian Gomez.

Arrogant has-been little prick.

He's a little cowardly piece of shit.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Seriously, he apparently told Dallas he'd stay for DP money, but they only want to offer $ 375,000 per season.

So fuck it, let's trade for him if he's willing to stay in MLS and give him the same $1.7 mil a season Angel is getting. He's a 15-goal plus scorer, which is what we're looking for in a DP anyway, and it would send a hell of a signal from the league owners to the players on what you can accomplish (see also: Luciano Emilio) if you stay.

Interesting.
Id like to see what our other options are but im not opposed to paying him that much. Hes certainly worth it and itd be like having a new generation of homegrown dp players

Jack
11-21-2008, 08:17 PM
jloome's idea definitlely sounds like an interesting one.

It would certainly bolster the league's rep, as well.

rocker
11-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Ives basically says Cooper will be gone in January because next season is his last on his current deal.. so they gotta move him out of MLS and get that big transfer fee or get nothing.

Cooper is preparing to head into the final year of his current contract and negotations over a new deal with FC Dallas have stalled, sources with knowledge of the talks told SBI on Thursday. With Cooper seeking designated player money, and FC Dallas offering in the $325K to $375K range, look for MLS to do it's best to sell Cooper in January in order to avoid losing him for nothing after the 2009 season.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/evening-ticker-arenas-jamaican-journey-and-a-new-suitor-for-cooper.html

and dallas sure doesn't want to give TFC Cooper so TFC can get the transfer fee portion.

James Oliphant
11-21-2008, 08:46 PM

http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/tully.jpg

jloome
11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Ives basically says Cooper will be gone in January because next season is his last on his current deal.. so they gotta move him out of MLS and get that big transfer fee or get nothing.

Cooper is preparing to head into the final year of his current contract and negotations over a new deal with FC Dallas have stalled, sources with knowledge of the talks told SBI on Thursday. With Cooper seeking designated player money, and FC Dallas offering in the $325K to $375K range, look for MLS to do it's best to sell Cooper in January in order to avoid losing him for nothing after the 2009 season.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/evening-ticker-arenas-jamaican-journey-and-a-new-suitor-for-cooper.html

and dallas sure doesn't want to give TFC Cooper so TFC can get the transfer fee portion.

You've kind of missed the point, dude. He asked for DP money from Dallas on a new contract, which means he would be staying in the league. Since all the contracts are owned by the league, TFC would only get transfer money from selling him several years down the road. Even then, it would go to the league and be pro-rated to the teams he played for.

If he's willing to stay for DP money, I'd sure sign him if MLS would allow it. Just because one set of owners is stupid and shortsighted doesn't mean they all need to be.

ensco
11-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I love this idea but I think the league will never do it. The whole point of the "single entity" system is to prevent this scenario from happening.

They'd rather bring in Gallardos and Blancos as DPs, because that doesn't lead to inflation in salaries for the North American-grown player in the same way this would.

It's no wonder Cooper and Twellman are crazed over this. They're put over a barrel by the standard MLS players contract, which essentially commits successful players to low salaries during their maximum income earning years. It works out fine for the journeymen but screws the stars. This supposedly was why Lapira went to Lappland.

AL-MO
11-23-2008, 12:36 PM
My take on it:

FUCK Christian Gomez.

Arrogant has-been little prick.

He's a little cowardly piece of shit.

Is there a story to this Jack? :p

DigzTFC!
11-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Its a big NO to Christian Gomez. The guy makes 385K, plays a similar position to Guevara, is 34 , and has lost a step. That move would restrict us to no end.

If Donovan is sold to Bayern Munich, look for the Galaxy to step up and trade for him in some sort of split salary package and utilize the allocation from the sale.

As for Kenny Cooper, sign the damn deal Dallas! A young, big, mobile target forward that puts in 15 goals a year.....hard to come by in MLS.

rocker
11-23-2008, 12:52 PM
You've kind of missed the point, dude. He asked for DP money from Dallas on a new contract, which means he would be staying in the league. Since all the contracts are owned by the league,

I know the fantasy of getting Kenny Cooper turns you on, and seems really simple and easy, but the reality is it would never happen.

Why?

1) He requests DP money because he knows he can go to Europe and get it; I've heard him say he wants to go to Europe. His request for DP money is not necessarily an indication he wants to stay -- just that he wants to force their hand. And a DP can still be transferred overseas. I think he's saying "I have 1 year left on my contract at shit rates. I want DP money as long as I'm in this league." Or else move me. And he wants to move anyways. Great negotiation ploy.

2) There's no reason if he's traded to TFC that he'll subsequently sign a DP contract with TFC so he'd be gone probably by next summer... no point in that, and we'd get roasted by Dallas in a trade anyways; if Dallas is unwilling to offer him DP money (as Ives says) then there's no way they can do a sign and trade with TFC

3) "Since all the contracts are owned by the league" is the reason he won't get DP money and instead will be transferred in January. He's worth more to MLS as a transfer than he is as a regular roster player, whether DP or not. That's why he's gone in January in my estimation... big strong goal scorer, wants to go abroad, wants to make big $$$, and teams willing to give MLS millions.

ensco
11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Bayern should have signed Cooper, not Landycakes.