PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - Carver and Winsper to join Shearer at Newcastle

canadian_bhoy
11-21-2008, 09:26 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/content/toronto-fc-boss-carver-linked-newcastle-return

21.11.08 | tribalfootball.com
Toronto FC coach John Carver is being linked with a return to Newcastle United.
The Daily Express says Toon legend Alan Shearer wants Carver to join his backroom staff as he prepares to return to St James' Park.
Carver's fitness coach at MLS outfit Toronto, Paul Winsper, is also wanted by Shearer.

Also reported in the Express
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/72164/Shearer-has-picked-his-Toon-staff-already

Let the friday craziness begin!

Former Newcastle coach John Carver, who served under Sir Bobby Robson among others, would also be part of any new Shearer set-up. He is currently working in Canada.

Nodoubtguy
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Like I said in the news thread....this would be the biggest blow we could possibly suffer this offseason.

Billy the kid
11-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Are managers not under contract, similiar to players, or are they just a regular hire that can quit at any time.

trane
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I just heard it on 590 AM. If he goes I just hope that we do no waite until just before the season to select a new mansger.

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Are managers not under contract, similiar to players, or are they just a regular hire that can quit at any time.

Would you want to keep a coach who wants to leave?

BuSaPuNk
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
This would be a huge blow to the building of TFC. If Carver leaves we will be right back where we started when we broke into the leauge.

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
This is shit.

I guess I couldn't blame him...I think I would be bitter though.

One year? C'mon John! promises were made.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Somewhere, Giambac and his crew are planning a party.

Toronto Gunner
11-21-2008, 09:40 AM
This was also posted on BBC Football's Gossip page:

Alan Shearer has already selected his backroom staff, should he be offered the Newcastle job on a permanent basis. Former Newcastle midfielder Rob Lee would become Shearer's assistant, with former coach John Carver rejoining the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 09:40 AM
You know what would make Carver happy? Dropping Mo.
It's been clear that they've been at odds for some time.

The ONLY possible upside is that Steve Nichol could come in (long shot, but I'm an optimist)

koryo
11-21-2008, 09:44 AM
You know what would make Carver happy? Dropping Mo.
It's been clear that they've been at odds for some time.

The ONLY possible upside is that Steve Nichol could come in (long shot, but I'm an optimist)

That is wishful thinking. Doesn't matter who the next manager, should this rumour come to pass, will be. This organization will not move forward until Johnston is removed from it.

trane
11-21-2008, 09:45 AM

I got to confess that I would not be as upset as I would have been say three to six months ago, my feeling is, as I had expressed on the board, is that while I like Carver we just do not seem to be going in the right direction. I do not like that this is happening, but in crisis there may be opportunity to find a new and hopefully better direction. I think that if Carver goes Mo should follow, make it a clean sweep, instead of waiting for another year to evalute Mo, and then again looking in the next off season. However, MLSe may chose to keep Mo to have some continuity.

Damien
11-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Mo better give his left nut to keep Carver!!

If we start over with a new coach next season there's a better chance of finishing lower on the table, and you know what that could mean for MoJo!

trane
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
That is wishful thinking. Doesn't matter who the next manager, should this rumour come to pass, will be. This organization will not move forward until Johnston is removed from it.

I have to agree, I may be wrong, but that is 100% my feeling.

canadian_bhoy
11-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't think this is a case of anything Toronto is doing that would make Carver unhappy - Newcastle is his home, his team, his no. 1 passion. If he is offered the job, you can't blame him for leaving.

If he does go - I'll wish him all the best. For me, he was the class of the league for managers and really brought TFC to another level. He inspired his players and brought passion and fire to the team. It'll be a huge loss if he goes.

Not to be unnoticed here is also the potential loss of Paul Winsper. He dramatically changed the fitness level of the players this season and it really helped with injuries and endurance. Another huge loss.

The only logical replacement that I can see is Steve Nicol. Mo has wanted him for ages and with the 1st round exit in the playoffs, maybe it's time for Nicol to take on a new challenge.

We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

tfc
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
are you guys freaking CRAZY? Not having Carver would be the biggest hit to our offseason EVER. Winsper as well. We are basically back to square one with those guys gone. I bet you they stick around for one more year though.

king dave
11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Will be interesteing to watch this evolve.
NUFC have some new found wealth and appear to be in a 'shopping' mood. Losing JC and his sidekick isn't the end of the world, what is the end of the world is Moe trying to find a new coaching/training team as well as some qualitiy players.
I will be on this developing story like stink on a skunk!
KD.

Brooker
11-21-2008, 09:52 AM
for fucks sake.... say it aint so.

this team is such a god damn revolving door, the last thing we need is Carver to leave. ESPECIALLY Winsper!

just pound my balls flat with a wooden hammer while you're at it.

trane
11-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Will be interesteing to watch this evolve.
NUFC have some new found wealth and appear to be in a 'shopping' mood. Losing JC and his sidekick isn't the end of the world, what is the end of the world is Moe trying to find a new coaching/training team as well as some qualitiy players.
I will be on this developing story like stink on a skunk!
KD.

Agreed. Again I do not think lossing Carver is not a problem, but how much of a problem depends on who replaces him.

Gobi
11-21-2008, 09:56 AM
We are basically back to square one with those guys gone.

QFT.

But I wonder... if that would be such a bad thing, in theory. :noidea:

Of course, I really, really, really hope JC and Winsper stay, though.
I thought JC said publicly that he would?

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Losing a capable and experienced coach is not a problem?

Losing the fitness coach that produced better results than the entire league is not a problem?

The world has truly gone mad.

Yes...Carver is not Ferguson. But he is better than 90% of the coaches in MLS and now we are back to trying to get someone in who will have to start from scratch. Regardless of how good the new guy is (and gawd let's hope he is good at least) it will be another year of "evaluation". Are any of you prepared for that?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Party of 1

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 09:59 AM
^I dunno about that...sadly.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
really hope this is just a rumor.
Fuck.
it really would be the worst lost of the new/old season and we would be back to our first season.
i think id hate Carver then.
I truly do.
This is akin to leaving your wife and kids.

flatpicker
11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
couldn't we just replace him with Dale Mitchell??

:hide:

OneLoveOneEric
11-21-2008, 10:02 AM
This would be bad. Like him or not, stability is pretty key right now, and getting ANOTHER new coach can't help things.
I thought this might happen after seeing Carver on TV at a NUFC game sitting with Shearer. And to the poster saying Mo had better give his left nut to keep him -- Mo doesn't have enough left nuts. If Carver wants that job, he'l go, and there's nothing we can offer him to make him stay. It's totally up to John.
Our only hope right now is that Shearer continues in his gutless history of going "look at me! Look at me!" whenever the Newcastle job opens up, and then deciding to stick to the safety of taking pot-shots from the press box....
But I fear this time he will take the job.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:04 AM

:hide:

LOL!

Oh Flats, that is evil.

Let's just get that out of the way. NOBODY at MLSE is that stupid and if they were...I think that would be the one thing that would make me give up my seasons.

Damien
11-21-2008, 10:04 AM

He's not been fired.... YET :rolleyes:

trane
11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Losing a capable and experienced coach is not a problem?

Losing the fitness coach that produced better results than the entire league is not a problem?

The world has truly gone mad.

Yes...Carver is not Ferguson. But he is better than 90% of the coaches in MLS and now we are back to trying to get someone in who will have to start from scratch. Regardless of how good the new guy is (and gawd let's hope he is good at least) it will be another year of "evaluation". Are any of you prepared for that?

Losing Carver is a problem. I agree. That I think that he is better that 99% of coaches in the MLS. I agree. But after the season, my feeling was that we needed big changes. I think that this may present such an opportunity. It could also be an opportunity for Carver to take full control wich also may not be a bad thing.

But I agree with CB, I think it is not so much about what is happening here, but his opportunity with New Castle is probably to good for a lot of rerasons.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Do we think that carver really wants the job?
I wouldnt be surprised to see Winsper go (still a big loss)

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
whoa...

I did a google image search for this guy:
http://img.fannation.com/upload/truth_rumor/photo_upload/427/91/full/stevenicolVictor_Decolongon.jpg

and this image was on the first page of results:

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/09/rumors.jpg

felipe
11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Wouldn't it show a distinct lack of ambition if he left a head coaches position to become a member of a backroom staff? I mean its only ewcastle...

Of course he and Whinsper would get paid a lot more, get to work with top quality footballers everyday, not have to put up with the MLS refs, or Mo...

God, I hope he stays

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:11 AM
this is fucked too cuz its not like Shearer is gonna do well at newcastle... dudes got no experience as a coach

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't it show a distinct lack of ambition if he left a head coaches position to become a member of a backroom staff? I mean its only ewcastle...

Of course he and Whinsper would get paid a lot more, get to work with top quality footballers everyday, not have to put up with the MLS refs, or Mo...

was thinking that too

Also i think people are blowing the relationship between Mo and Carver out of proportion/making something out of nothing

jabbronies
11-21-2008, 10:12 AM
If JC leaves, say good bye to Rohan Ricketts

OneLoveOneEric
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Anyone who thinks that job would be a step down for Carver should give their head a shake. I enjoy the Newcastle Circus as much as anyone else, but they're a club with history, in the biggest league in the world, and a club Carver has old ties to.
I wouldn't blame hime for a second if he took that job. Think of it this way -- which job is most likely to advance his career -- head coach of TFC, or asst. at Newcastle?
That's a no-brainer.

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM

and he may not be the only one.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Losing Carver is a problem. I agree. That I think that he is better that 99% of coaches in the MLS. I agree. But after the season, my feeling was that we needed big changes. I think that this may present such an opportunity. It could also be an opportunity for Carver to take full control wich also may not be a bad thing.

But I agree with CB, I think it is not so much about what is happening here, but his opportunity with New Castle is probably to good for a lot of rerasons.

Changes yes. But THIS change? I think it's probably the worst of the possible changes we could have used.

Change for changes sake is not good.

trane
Anyone who thinks that job would be a step down for Carver should give their head a shake. I enjoy the Newcastle Circus as much as anyone else, but they're a club with history, in the biggest league in the world, and a club Carver has old ties to.
I wouldn't blame hime for a second if he took that job. Think of it this way -- which job is most likely to advance his career -- head coach of TFC, or asst. at Newcastle?
That's a no-brainer.

Agreed.

Pigfynn
That's a no-brainer.

He wouldn't be the asst. The article says Rob Lee will be number 2. Which means he'd be a coach or advisor or something.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I hope that is the deterring factor.

Being assistant would have been a dream. Being anything lower than that, then I would have to question his ambition.

I guess it's a matter of whether you want to be a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in a big sea.

OneLoveOneEric
11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
^^^Doesn't matter. Any face time in a big league is worth something to a guy like Carver. People don't even know where the little pond of MLS is, so it doesn't matter how big a fish you are. If your ambition is to move up the coaching ladder, you won't achieve that here. It's no different than it is for players.

Brooker
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM

why?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Judging by the turnover of coaches at the magpies he might find himself unemployed in a year

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
If you were Rohan would you want to see the coach you feel gave you another chance leave and have to prove yourself all over again to a new guy who may not appreciate you? If I had to do that all over again, I'd do it in a bigger league. I agree...RR would be gone as well.

trane
11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Changes yes. But THIS change? I think it's probably the worst of the possible changes we could have used.

Change for changes sake is not good.

I will waite to see if this is confirmed. Right now it sounds like a very credible rumour. But no confirmation. If it is confirmed then I will judge them on the decisions the make. If the decisions are good, in my opinion, then they will have my continued support. At the end of the day it will be Carvers choie not TFCs.

On the other hand if there hire is shite, like lets say Dale Mitchell, then my support will be tested.

OneLoveOneEric
11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
^^(to OMY) All managers find themselves unemployed. But then he puts being fired by Newcastle on his resume.
To those who think this would be a small job, look At Mike Phelan at Manchester United. Spends years virtually unknown as first team coach. Wakes up one morning with Quieroz gone and he's asst. manager at Manchester United. It's called paying your dues, and it can't be done here.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
There is only one possible upside to Carver leaving and that is if not just a good coach comes in but an extensively superior coach comes in. That is the only way that this could be a good thing. What are the chances of that happening do you think? We can't even attract decent players dude...

OneLoveOneEric
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
^^I agree with that for sure, Roogsy.
Don't get me wrong -- I won't blame Carver for moving on to bigger things. But I'll be choked that we need a new coach again.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
^^(to OMY) All managers find themselves unemployed. But then he puts being fired by Newcastle on his resume.
To those who think this would be a small job, look At Mike Phelan at Manchester United. Spends years virtually unknown as first team coach. Wakes up one morning with Quieroz gone and he's asst. manager at Manchester United. It's called paying your dues, and it can't be done here.

absolutely, im just saying dude may be tired of paying his dues

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I think that if Carver goes Mo should follow, make it a clean sweep, instead of waiting for another year to evalute Mo, and then again looking in the next off season. However, MLSe may chose to keep Mo to have some continuity.

Yeah, that would make it easy to hire another manager, "We'll give you the job, but if the coach you hire stiffs you and quits halfway through his contract, you're fired, too." All the best managers will be lining up for that job.

And I understand everyone loves Steve Nicol but I can't imagine people here would be so happy with an 0-4 record in Championship games and then a first round exit from the playoffs.

Maybe it's the turf in New England, though. ;)

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
^^I agree with that for sure, Roogsy.
Don't get me wrong -- I won't blame Carver for moving on to bigger things. But I'll be choked that we need a new coach again.

I agree with you too...I was actually referring to Trane's post.

It's funny with these active thread, you have to remember to quote the post you are actually referring to otherwise people get the wrong idea with what you say! LOL!

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, that would make it easy to hire another manager, "We'll give you the job, but if the coach you hire stiffs you and quits halfway through his contract, you're fired, too." All the best managers will be lining up for that job.

And I understand everyone loves Steve Nicol but I can't imagine people here would be so happy with an 0-4 record in Championship games and then a first round exit from the playoffs.

Maybe it's the turf in New England, though. ;)

I think most people realize Nicol's problem was NE's refusal to open up the coffers. Nicol made huge moves forward with probably the stingiest franchise in the league.

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey! One of you Toronto boys go down to the Convention centre and ask him! He's there right now.

Friday November 21, 2008Rona Spring ShowMetro Toronto Convention Centre10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.Greg Sutton and John Carver

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Damn! I was thinking of going to that thing today and wound up coming in to work!

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
There is only one possible upside to Carver leaving and that is if not just a good coach comes in but an extensively superior coach comes in. That is the only way that this could be a good thing. What are the chances of that happening do you think? We can't even attract decent players dude...

there's no salary cap for coaching staff right?

hell.... if the Mo Edu Grass Money isn't actually going towards getting grass, then put it towards some high end coaching.

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Seriously...someone go. I would if I didn't live in KW.

One of you must be self employed right? He'll tell ya if you ask..I'm sure.

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I think most people realize Nicol's problem was NE's refusal to open up the coffers. Nicol made huge moves forward with probably the stingiest franchise in the league.

So they don't even spend up to that low salary cap?

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:37 AM

hell.... if the Mo Edu Grass Money isn't actually going towards getting grass, then put it towards some high end coaching.

I agree. Since they can't spend money on the roster, spend it elsewhere to improve results anyways, including coaches.

The problem here isn't the money, it's the relationship. Anyone brought in can't have ambitions for Mo's job otherwise Mo will pass on him. That cuts out some pretty decent talent doesn't it?

And anyone brought in has to accept Mo's limitations in bringing in players. Who'd be crazy enough to want that after the experience of the last couple of years?

A job search for a new coach would have severe obstacles from the get-go.

trane
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM

That is my hope, because I think that more then players this is what this team , and this league, needs too trully advance. I must also agree with you that it will be difficult to do. But I keep hope alive. This manager does not have to be a name, just a tallent.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
So they don't even spend up to that low salary cap?

Yes, but not beyond that. The salary cap is just one area where a franchise develops it's roster.

trane
11-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Agreed Parky that would be the best use for the money, more usefull in my opinion then a DP.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Agreed Parky that would be the best use for the money, more usefull in my opinion then a DP.

I didn't weigh one over the other because it's really two different pools of money to draw from.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Listen guys...there is a plethora of talent out there when it comes to players and we can't bring any in. With an extremely limited resource like a talented coach, how good do you guys think the odds are of bringing one in? I would say it is exponentially more difficult than bringing in a DP. I would be wary of looking at this from such a simplistic angle.

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree. Since they can't spend money on the roster, spend it elsewhere to improve results anyways, including coaches.

The problem here isn't the money, it's the relationship. Anyone brought in can't have ambitions for Mo's job otherwise Mo will pass on him. That cuts out some pretty decent talent doesn't it?

And anyone brought in has to accept Mo's limitations in bringing in players. Who'd be crazy enough to want that after the experience of the last couple of years?

A job search for a new coach would have severe obstacles from the get-go.

All the reports were that Mo gave complete autonomy to Carver to run the team and to name the players he wanted - if they agree to come to TFC is a different matter (it's unlikely to be "Mo's limitations" as it is all the other factors - mostly the small salary cap), but for all his complaining about the league and the refs and everything else, Carver never once complained about Mo.

How many coaches would really want to run the team and to deal with MLSE?

trane
11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I didn't weigh one over the other because it's really two different pools of money to draw from.

I did mean that. I am just pointing out that I thik that this is more important for the club in terms of its long term success. A coach can put in a sytle and system that can win for us for years, while the type of DPs we can get are more likely to have more short term impact.

I have to go, and I do not mean to cause heart attacks, but a low cost possiblity, if we have to replace Carver , for my money would be John Limniatis. Remeber I have to run, so I will not be around to argue. He has done more with less then any MLS coach, and he would not be big money. Still I know most of you will hate this.

trane
11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Roogsy, what you are saying is not wrong, I just think that the problem with this league, after two years of observing, is deeper then just tallent. That is why I liked Carver he brought in a real tested football approach. But if he is gone he is gone. [ IF]

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
^^Trane, off to the convention centre? lol

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, but not beyond that. The salary cap is just one area where a franchise develops it's roster.

In that case a Steve Nicol-Mo combination would be good. It's probably tough to squeeze any money out of MLSE and Mo has managed to get them to spend on a few things - we'd like more, of course, but he got them to upgrade the training facilities and hire Winspear and all kinds of other things. It seems MLSE like him so far so he has the best chance of getting them to continue on this road.

Hey, like Homer says, the Chinese have one word for crisis and opportunity - crisitoonity!

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 10:52 AM
, but for all his complaining about the league and the refs and everything else, Carver never once complained about Mo.

wrong dude. very wrong.

Remember those press conferences during our slide near the end of the season? Carver was practically begging for a DP Striker. He said it a number of times, to anyone who would listen, that they needed to bring in a goal scorer. Who do you think he was directing that to? There's only one guy who could do it, and that's Mo the Manager. Even the newspapers played up the angle that Carver was frustrated with Mo for not getting him a striker. It's not just my interpretation of the events.

Keyman
11-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Just read the thread, and I'm rather disappointed. This is the worst news I've heard all offseason. If we lose Carver we would be losing an excellent coach, and also, any sense of stability. It's as simply as that. We have a gem in Carver, who is only going to improve as a coach. I'm trying not to imagine what exactly would occur if he were to leave, but it's pretty hard not to. Show me the line of coaches waiting to enter this league, and pick me out a better one than Carver. My guess is, you can't.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
In that case a Steve Nicol-Mo combination would be good.

then when people called our team The Reds they could be referring to the twin headed Gingers running the club.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:53 AM
All the reports were that Mo gave complete autonomy to Carver to run the team and to name the players he wanted - if they agree to come to TFC is a different matter (it's unlikely to be "Mo's limitations" as it is all the other factors - mostly the small salary cap), but for all his complaining about the league and the refs and everything else, Carver never once complained about Mo.

How many coaches would really want to run the team and to deal with MLSE?

Carver was a humble, passionate man. I think that is why the fans loved him so much. If he goes back to NUFC, it will be for love of his team, not for ambition.

Sadly, can we say we will get a person of the same character as next coach? In this sport, they aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

reggie
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
i like the guy alot,no big deal for me if he goes.
1 win in 3 mths this summer, boring long ball soccer,too many last min losses,putting his players under the bus all season....

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 10:55 AM
1 win in 3 mths this summer, boring long ball soccer,too many last min losses,putting his players under the bus all season....

When we had our first choice starting 11 fit, we did not play boring long ball soccer.

Roogsy
11-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Doesn't sound like you like him a lot. LOL!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Giambac, party of two

reggie
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
i like him to sit with him in a bar for a drink,but has a coach i think he his a dime a doz

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
wrong dude. very wrong.

Remember those press conferences during our slide near the end of the season? Carver was practically begging for a DP Striker. He said it a number of times, to anyone who would listen, that they needed to bring in a goal scorer. Who do you think he was directing that to? There's only one guy who could do it, and that's Mo the Manager. Even the newspapers played up the angle that Carver was frustrated with Mo for not getting him a striker. It's not just my interpretation of the events.

Maybe. It's possible it was actually directed at the guys with the money. It's usually not a good move for a coach to try an end run around (sorry for the pointyball term) the guy who hired him. It wouldn't really jive with all the talk about what a 'character guy' he is.

It's possible Carver became the public face of the demand for a DP striker and Mo made the same demands in the backroom. I'm not sure why you think MLSE gave so much authority to Mo?

Yozzarian
11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
What is Stephen Hart doing these days?

Oldtimer
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
If Carver left, we wouldn't see Nichol, we'd see this guy behind the bench:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/johnston-mo070115cp.jpg

Goodbye progress, hello another season of futility.
Mo may be okay as a GM (I'm not sure one way or another about that, yet), but I'm sure most of us wouldn't want to see him behind the bench again.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe. It's possible it was actually directed at the guys with the money. It's usually not a good move for a coach to try an end run around (sorry for the pointyball term) the guy who hired him. It wouldn't really jive with all the talk about what a 'character guy' he is.

It's possible Carver became the public face of the demand for a DP striker and Mo made the same demands in the backroom. I'm not sure why you think MLSE gave so much authority to Mo?

either way, the papers all played it up as Carver putting the request for a striker directly at Mo's feet.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 11:30 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/johnston-mo070115cp.jpg

Mo may be okay as a GM (I'm not sure one way or another about that, yet), but I'm sure most of us wouldn't want to see him behind the bench again.

FAWK -- might as well bring back Andy Welsh.

personally, I think Mo would quit before being demoted.

Boris
11-21-2008, 11:31 AM
7-1 odds itll be to 12 pages by 4pm.....

that is all

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM

that is all

I'll take those odds. This one won't pass 7 pages.
We'll all be out of steam. There's no real argument to have.

that is, unless Giambic shows up and starts gloating

Boris
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM

......lets bet a beer on sunday....
on?

Oldtimer
11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
FAWK -- might as well bring back Andy Welsh.

personally, I think Mo would quit before being demoted.

He'd take it on an "interim" basis at least, who knows how long that would last?

Velvet Elvis
11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Is Shearer really likely to step into the manager role before the club has been sold and the new ownership sorted out?

ACSertL
11-21-2008, 11:44 AM
For me the huge loss would be Winsper. I like Carver a lot but it seems as though Paul Winsper had a huge impact on this squad. I can't think of too many long term injuries this season (Dunivant and perhaps Dichio aside) that really put the team behind the eight ball.

ilikemusic
11-21-2008, 11:49 AM
lol

'In Carver We Trust' :rolleyes:

Sorry but I had to say it.

Hitcho
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't understand the people saying we need big changes after last season. We've had nothing but big changes since the club was born. What we need is stability, and that means holding on to a great coach and fitness coach as well as all of our good players, then adding two or three key players in positions that need filling. That's all the changes I want to see this off-season, other than maybe adding a couple of decent young players through the draft.

If Carver goes, the squad will be "re-built" (again) and we can kiss the play-offs goodbye for another couple of seasons. We can also probably kiss goodbye to players like Robbo and Dichio who are having doubts anyway, and then we're REALLY fucked.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM

It'll be closed within 2 pages of his arrival.

And even more reasons to put the club in our bad books. (More Edgar, please.)

scooter
11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
i am with boris -- going on all day
what a load of shite has anyone confirmed any of this
John Carver is happy in toronto - he is making plans for preseason and just got back from a scouting trip with Mo (must be winter he's getting bashed again) checking out
US college players pre draft and this weekend he is making personal appearances on
behalf of tfc
he is reportedly over the moon that the mlse authorized a dp
also none of the newcastle news has been confirmed either

we can still " IN CARVER WE TRUST "

dont start bashing our coach based on rumours

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Not a chance - the guy spent a whole year getting MLSE to open up the purse and hire a coach, he's not going backwards now. The same is true for the conditioning stuff Winspear brought in, now that it's part of the budget it stays. And that fancy computer analysis program.

They are actually trying to build a real organization here that willoutlive the personel of the moment.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Great points Beachred

Yohan
11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
you know what they say

'i was given an offer that i couldn't refuse...'

Carver loves Newcastle. It's just a coaching job, and he'd be a small fish in a big pond, but working with a legend like Shearer...

Or he is happy being the head fish in a small pond... I dunno Carver, but eh.

I'd be frustrated the heck out of MLS and just go back to UK where footy makes a bit more sense

Bluenose13
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
lol

'In Carver We Trust' :rolleyes:

Sorry but I had to say it.Once a dick, always a dick I guess.

Sorry but it had to be said.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Or he is happy being the head fish in a small pond... I dunno Carver, but eh.
I'd be frustrated the heck out of MLS and just go back to UK where footy makes a bit more sense

I could be totally wrong here, but I think Carver like a challenge.
If he didn't like a challenge, he never would have ended up here.
I think he understands that if he takes this team to new heights,
and possible even to the level of winning a championship, then
he'll have cemented his reputation and his status at this club.

In a way, Danny Dichio doesn't ever need to score another goal.
He could open a used car dealership of a furniture store and live
a very comfortable life here in Toronto with his 'hero' status.

I'd like to see Carver earn a similar status, and you'll never get there by quitting.

Oldtimer
11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Shearer is not guaranteed as coach, however...

Newcastle (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/teampages/newcastle-united.html)striker Obafemi Martins has called for Joe Kinnear to be handed the managerial reins at St James' Park on a full-time basis.
Kinnear has presided over just two defeats in seven games since being brought in by club owner Mike Ashley on an interim basis at the end of September.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1088186/Give-Newcastle-job-Kinnear-says-Magpies-striker-Martins.html

Boris
11-21-2008, 12:26 PM
keep the replies coming....

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 12:26 PM
There are talks that Kinnear will be offered fulltime job...

ua-kozak_TFC
11-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I don't understand the people saying we need big changes after last season. We've had nothing but big changes since the club was born. What we need is stability, and that means holding on to a great coach and fitness coach as well as all of our good players, then adding two or three key players in positions that need filling. That's all the changes I want to see this off-season, other than maybe adding a couple of decent young players through the draft.

If Carver goes, the squad will be "re-built" (again) and we can kiss the play-offs goodbye for another couple of seasons. We can also probably kiss goodbye to players like Robbo and Dichio who are having doubts anyway, and then we're REALLY fucked.

i Think you are wrong because although we had plenty of changes most of the changes were not for the better, just to change something doesn;t mean you are helping.... I give you a good example RUIZ.... he was brought by mo to settle down the crowd and so he looks like he is doing soemthing to push the team to play offs... We all know that ruiz didn;t want to come here, is grossly over weight, has no desire to play, nor the skill to do so at this stage of his career...

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM

that is all

keep the replies coming....

not even close dude.

looks like I'll be enjoying a nice cold beer, from Mr.Boris

Boris
11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
not even close dude.

bah....i bet youre deleting them... :D

canadian_bhoy
Can we please not use the word Ruiz on this board anymore. Please use terms like "the grand douche" or "the useless one" or something to that effect. Everytime I see his real name used on the boards, it makes me want to puke.

Stouffville_RPB
I would hate to see JC and PW leave. Maybe they came here for the challenge but now that they have been here and know what it is about maybe they want out.

JC and PW leaving would devastate our team.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Who settled down when "the useless one";) arrived?

Pigfynn
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I would hate to see JC and PW leave. Maybe they came here for the challenge but now that they have been here and know what it is about maybe they want out.

JC and PW leaving would devastate our team.

It's not that, it can't be.

Bottom line here is Premiership team and in this case home town premiership team may be calling and most if not all coaches in the MLS would answer that call.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 12:45 PM
you can see Garber leave then cuz theres rumors about Arsenal hollering at him too

canadian_bhoy
11-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Anyone watch Carver's interview?

Apparently NCAA (which he was scouting last week with Mo) allows for players to be subbed out and subbed back in - plus there are more subs allocated that normal.

How are people supposed to come over here and take US football seriously?

If Carver left to be a coach (not manager) at any other club than Newcastle, I think I'd be upset about this (well, I'd love it if he went to Celtic) But you can't fault the guy for wanting to be a part of the club he grew up worshiping.

I really hope he stays though!

TOBOR !
11-21-2008, 12:53 PM
I'd think that the interview process would have included a discussion about what may happen should a big club come calling to see what Carver's level of commitment would be to TFC. I imagine that whatever his response was it was enough to secure him the job. Now let's see what that level of commitment is... unless, of course, Mo begged him to come over and agreed to many concessions - but that doesn't sound like Mo.

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 12:56 PM
i Think you are wrong because although we had plenty of changes most of the changes were not for the better, just to change something doesn;t mean you are helping.... I give you a good example RUIZ.... he was brought by mo to settle down the crowd and so he looks like he is doing soemthing to push the team to play offs... We all know that ruiz didn;t want to come here, is grossly over weight, has no desire to play, nor the skill to do so at this stage of his career...

Is that why he was brought in? I thought there was a chance to try him out for nothing so the team took it. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.

Now, how many of those changes for change sake were forced on the team and how many did they decide to make themselves? It was really a whole season of putting out fires, everytime one was out another one started - well, that's life in the MLS, better to be able to deal with it than pretend it's not like that.

Hitcho
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM

I still think we need stability rather than big changes. We have a good nucleus now in terms of players and staff and fine tuning through a couple of key additions will be far more beneficial than a season of turmoil where the squad cannot settle, the players don't the know the coach or each other, the coach doesn't know the players well enough to get the best out of them etc etc. We showed in patches, especially at the end of the season, that we have a good foundation and we need to build on that, not toss it into the air and start from scratch. How can you possibly argue in favour of that?!

As for the fat sloppy one we got from LA, that's the worst possible example you could have given. He was brought in as a desperate stop gap because JC was crying out for strikers but Mo didn't want to waste allocation money or draft picks on a crap fill in player (no-one good was available). Besides which he was only ever brought in until the end of the season.

Instead, try looking at the positive changes from last season, of which there were many: Carver, Winsper, Guevara, Ricketts, Barrett in terms of acquisitions and the likes of Cunny in terms of disposals.

Bottom line is, we've had major changes for two years, acquired a good basis and it now needs stability and fine tuning. A major overhaul will put us right back to where we started.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Sounds like a pile of sh*t to be honest, I don't think Carver would want to go back to being an assistant manager when he has a chance to build his reputation here.

Lucky Strike
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I still think we need stability rather than big changes. We have a good nucleus now in terms of players and staff and fine tuning through a couple of key additions will be far more beneficial than a season of turmoil where the squad cannot settle, the players don't the know the coach or each other, the coach doesn't know the players well enough to get the best out of them etc etc. We showed in patches, especially at the end of the season, that we have a good foundation and we need to build on that, not toss it into the air and start from scratch. How can you possibly argue in favour of that?!

As for the fat sloppy one we got from LA, that's the worst possible example you could have given. He was brought in as a desperate stop gap because JC was crying out for strikers but Mo didn't want to waste allocation money or draft picks on a crap fill in player (no-one good was available). Besides which he was only ever brought in until the end of the season.

Instead, try looking at the positive changes from last season, of which there were many: Carver, Winsper, Guevara, Ricketts, Barrett in terms of acquisitions and the likes of Cunny in terms of disposals.

Bottom line is, we've had major changes for two years, acquired a good basis and it now needs stability and fine tuning. A major overhaul will put us right back to where we started.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well... maybe, but it's a long paragraph and my lunch hour is almost up. :D

Hitcho
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
what a load of shite has anyone confirmed any of this
John Carver is happy in toronto - he is making plans for preseason and just got back from a scouting trip with Mo (must be winter he's getting bashed again) checking out
US college players pre draft and this weekend he is making personal appearances on
behalf of tfc
he is reportedly over the moon that the mlse authorized a dp
also none of the newcastle news has been confirmed either

we can still " IN CARVER WE TRUST "

dont start bashing our coach based on rumours

QFT. Besides which, Shearer isn't going to sign up with the barcodes until a sale has been completed, and with the money the fat bloke is asking for and the alarming drop in attendances there, plus the international credit crunch, any kind of deal being done is far from a reality. Even if a deal does get done, then you're assuming the buyer(s), having just shelled out hundreds of millions of pounds on the club and its debts, will immediately move to appoint a TV pundit with zero coaching or managerial experience. Both of those things are pretty unlikely, and they both need to come to fruition before Carver "joining Shearer" can even be mooted as a possibility. And even then, it will still be a question of whether the home town call will outweigh Carver's professional ambition as a manager before he's really proved himself.

In the meantime, we carry on prepping for 2009. :canada::canada::canada:

Yohan
11-21-2008, 01:34 PM
I could be totally wrong here, but I think Carver like a challenge.
If he didn't like a challenge, he never would have ended up here.
I think he understands that if he takes this team to new heights,
and possible even to the level of winning a championship, then
he'll have cemented his reputation and his status at this club.

I'd like to see Carver earn a similar status, and you'll never get there by quitting.
still. big fish in small pond or small fish in big pond, with chance to make into big fish later on...

if i was offered a job at my home club and that position actually means something, i'd be really tempted too...

Damien
11-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe Carver's just showing interest to boost his salary at TFC?

Just a thought.

SLBuu
11-21-2008, 01:41 PM
good riddance to all of them!!!!!!!!

*joke*

trane
11-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Apparently NCAA (which he was scouting last week with Mo) allows for players to be subbed out and subbed back in - plus there are more subs allocated that normal.

If Carver left to be a coach (not manager) at any other club than Newcastle, I think I'd be upset about this (well, I'd love it if he went to Celtic) But you can't fault the guy for wanting to be a part of the club he grew up worshiping.

When I heard this a couple of days ago, I had exaclty the same thought. Sometimes I realy feel like a different game is played here from the rest of the world.

trane
11-21-2008, 01:47 PM
not even close dude.

Parky, I am back in. I am ready to make some outrageous comments about TFC need for an ITALIAN Manager, to help Boris out. :hump:

trane
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
If Carver does not stay. We should consider an Italian Manager. Donadoni is out of a job, sure he did not do so well in the 2008, but he did well in the qualification stage, and when he used a more defensive system he took the Spanish to penalties. I do not like him but he would be a monster in the MLS.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
3 coaches in three years....will we ever get out of expantion status...

New coach means new systems..new players..new faces... back to square one!

Dont expect alot next year if this happens!

IN MO WE TRUST!

olegunnar
11-21-2008, 01:50 PM

I watched the ND women's and men's teams play in the Big East tournament and couldn't believe it.

Not only can you sub in and out (if you sub out you can't come back in that half) but they also have a tv time out at the first stoppage around 22:30 in each half.

They also have a countdown at the end of each half, where the announcer counts down from 10...9...8...7...6...5 etc. etc.

trane
11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
^ Get the fuck out. I cannot believe it.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I watched the ND women's and men's teams play in the Big East tournament and couldn't believe it.

Not only can you sub in and out (if you sub out you can't come back in that half) but they also have a tv time out at the first stoppage around 22:30 in each half.

They also have a countdown at the end of each half, where the announcer counts down from 10...9...8...7...6...5 etc. etc.

wow..LOL...

happy trails JC!....See you in the CCC!!!:D

olegunnar
11-21-2008, 01:55 PM
When I heard this a couple of days ago, I had exaclty the same thought. Sometimes I realy feel like a different game is played here from the rest of the world.

It is different.

It's soccer moms and money that drive the game here. As opposed to love and passion through the rest of the world.

What the world calls the beautiful game, here is a quaint way for rich kids to be active and not have to put up with Rah Rah football and baseball coaches that are big meanies.

Lets have subbing in and subbing out so more people get to participate and everyone can be included. Yay!

Lets have in effect 4 quarters so there's more opportunity to sell ads.

olegunnar
11-21-2008, 01:56 PM
^ Get the fuck out. I cannot believe it.

If you have digital cable, CBS College Sports TV is free until January on channel 416. They have US college sports non stop, and have had a lot of college soccer.

billyfly
11-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I feel about Carver the way I felt about Paul Maurice (Leafs). Everyone told me he was a good coach/manager but his teams don't win.

If Carver goes I understand the implications but really, do any of us really know what he (and his systems etc) did for this team. If players dont execute then you either get rid of players or the Manager.

TorontoBlades
11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
if JC goes - you could probably add a linup of players that would soon follow (not to NUFC, but out the door)...starting with Ricketts

trane
11-21-2008, 02:02 PM
If you have digital cable, CBS College Sports TV is free until January on channel 416. They have US college sports non stop, and have had a lot of college soccer.

I got to check this out. But I have to confess this second season, has realy strained my belief in the North American game.

Technorgasm
11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
CARVER & WINSPER MADNESS!!!

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/sunshine_LRG430.gif

olegunnar
11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I got to check this out. But I have to confess this second season, has realy strained my belief in the North American game.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB2i0_OTUr8

That's a perfect link to show you some of the things they do.

1) They countdown....so the half starts at 45 minutes and it counts down to zero
2) They stop the clock when there's a stoppage (the guy that gets hurt and the clock stops at 18 seconds)
and
3) you can hear it only faintly because the announcers are yelling, but you can hear the stadium announcer counting down from 10...9...8 etc.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
!..I just was informed!

Newcastle United have formed a partnership with TFC of MLS....John Carver will remain the Coach of TFC....All Newcaslte Reserves will report to TFC march 1st for Training camp!...MLSE also announced...the team will no longer be called the REDS!....They will now be called TORONTO TOONIES FC!

All beers sales this year will be a TOONIE!..

More to come in the following days!...

Bluenose13
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Kinnear says he will be happy to have Shearer join his team.......

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/11/21/SOCCER_Newcastle_Kinnear.html&TEAMHD=soccer

VPjr
11-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Yes...Carver is not Ferguson. But he is better than 90% of the coaches in MLS and now we are back to trying to get someone in who will have to start from scratch.

how exactly did you come to that conclusion? so you are saying only 2 coaches are better than JC in the whole league? well, I resepectfully disagree.

as I stated in the news thread:

Losing Carver and Winsper would only be unfortunate because it creates a lack of stability. Otherwise, they can be replaced. Winsper may be a bit tougher to replace but there are other very high quality fitness and conditioning coaches that can be found.

However, replacing Carver would not be overly difficult, in my opinion, not at all. There would be more than adequate replacements to be found on either side of the Atlantic....the real issue is whether there are any coaches who would want to work for a club with Mo as their boss. I know I wouldn't want the TFC job if it means reporting to that douche.

There are two coaches in the CSL that have more professional HEAD coaching experiencing in Europe than Carver did before he joined TFC (Carbajal of North York Astros and Costa of Brampton). Not knowing anything about MLS didn't hurt Carver's ability to get the job (although I will admit that the knowledge he has gained last year is valuable and would be a setback of some degree).

to sum it up, I would not shed a single tear if either guy left but it would be preferable if they don't, if only for stability reasons.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
how exactly did you come to that conclusion? so you are saying only 2 coaches are better than JC in the whole league? well, I resepectfully disagree.

as I stated in the news thread:

Losing Carver and Winsper would only be unfortunate because it creates a lack of stability. Otherwise, they can be replaced. Winsper may be a bit tougher to replace but there are other very high quality fitness and conditioning coaches that can be found.

However, replacing Carver would not be overly difficult, in my opinion, not at all. There would be more than adequate replacements to be found on either side of the Atlantic....the real issue is whether there are any coaches who would want to work for a club with Mo as their boss. I know I wouldn't want the TFC job if it means reporting to that douche.

There are two coaches in the CSL that have more professional HEAD coaching experiencing in Europe than Carver did before he joined TFC (Carbajal of North York Astros and Costa of Brampton). Not knowing anything about MLS didn't hurt Carver's ability to get the job (although I will admit that the knowledge he has gained last year is valuable and would be a setback of some degree).

to sum it up, I would not shed a single tear if either guy left but it would be preferable if they don't, if only for stability reasons.

Dale Mitchell:canada:??

:drinking:http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5998/30457228lf6.gif (http://www.imagehosting.com/)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5998/30457228lf6.gif (http://www.imagehosting.com/)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5998/30457228lf6.gif (http://www.imagehosting.com/):drinking:

trane
11-21-2008, 02:22 PM
John Limniatis from the Impact.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Donadoni would be great but this is TFC, hes not coming here and im certain that he'd consider it an insult.

tfcmanu
11-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Now, there is a good coach for TFC John Limniatis (Mtl) making name for him self.

Yohan
11-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Donadoni would be great but this is TFC, hes not coming here and im certain that he'd consider it an insult.
then again, some great coaches like Trappatoni took on job for Salzburg now Ireland, Hiddink with S Korea, Pareira with South Africa...

Hitcho
11-21-2008, 02:36 PM
This is all still just possible rumour based on speculation about something that could happen if certain other things come to pass which still seem a bit unlikely.

The rest of it is people trying to get the thread to 7 pages by 4pm, hence the ludicrously "long" posts with exploding smilies a foot deep, etc. :rolleyes:

flatpicker
11-21-2008, 02:42 PM
BUMP!

because this thread is not getting enough attention!

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Parky, I am back in. I am ready to make some outrageous comments about TFC need for an ITALIAN Manager, to help Boris out. :hump:

If Carver does not stay. We should consider an Italian Manager....

hahaha... you used two posts to do that.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Donadoni? Did you or did you not watch the European Championships? Having a big name doesn't make you a great manager. Donadoni was a great player, but he can't manage for beans.

gmacpheetfc
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM

one problem
http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1027&Focus=0

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 02:59 PM
then again, some great coaches like Trappatoni took on job for Salzburg now Ireland, Hiddink with S Korea, Pareira with South Africa...

Good point (mostly with the Salzburg bit, most of the other teams are national with great systems that have potential)

Donadoni? Did you or did you not watch the European Championships? Having a big name doesn't make you a great manager. Donadoni was a great player, but he can't manage for beans.

Oh i saw, it wasnt me that suggested him btw, lets be honest here tho, Donadoni for all his mistakes, has a better background then Dennis Hamlett or whoever is currently coaching Kansas City and is more than likely to contribute to the team than take away

Pistachio Disguisey
11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Oh a my, I am a not too sad if Carver go. He a is a good man a with the passion, but he play the shit of the football. Kicking the a ball from the back a to the front. It is the way all englander coaches like, same as Mo.

I a dream of a the day when TFC bring in the Italian coach. Then you see a how a the real game is a played. The game will look like a the sex.

This a past a season I meet Carver once. I a drink a too much at a the game that day. I a say I only have one Smirnoff Ice, but I have a six, then a some a guy in the Carlsberg place say to me, "hey mister, puff puff pass", I did a not know what he mean, but he pass me cigarette and I a smoke the rest. It a make me go crazy. I meet some a girl in a pink a jersey and I think that she a was a Palermo fan. She did a not want to a have sex but she touched a me outside the stadium in the building beside.

I come a out from behind a the building and a Carver is a walking out of a BMO. I say hello, it a was an amazing feeling to a meet the manager, but the touching was a good too.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 03:07 PM
HAHAHAHA
Pistachio, you are my new bestfriend

Nodoubtguy
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh a my, I am a not too sad if Carver go. He a is a good man a with the passion, but he play the shit of the football. Kicking the a ball from the back a to the front. It is the way all englander coaches like, same as Mo.

I a dream of a the day when TFC bring in the Italian coach. Then you see a how a the real game is a played. The game will look like a the sex.

This a past a season I meet Carver once. I a drink a too much at a the game that day. I a say I only have one Smirnoff Ice, but I have a six, then a some a guy in the Carlsberg place say to me, "hey mister, puff puff pass", I did a not know what he mean, but he pass me cigarette and I a smoke the rest. It a make me go crazy. I meet some a girl in a pink a jersey and I think that she a was a Palermo fan. She did a not want to a have sex but she touched a me outside the stadium in the building beside.

I come a out from behind a the building and a Carver is a walking out of a BMO. I say hello, it a was an amazing feeling to a meet the manager, but the touching was a good too.

....:rofl:

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM

you are the Italian Borat. Wait... isn't that Bruno?

Nodoubtguy
11-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Bruno is Austrian.....I think

Chevy
11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
The "Stach" strikes again.

SLBuu
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
http://content.imagesocket.com/images/sunshine_LRG430.gif

You are my Hero!

tfcmanu
11-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Pistachio,
Carver a touch you oha my god..."I say hello, it a was an amazing feeling to a meet the manager, but the touching was a good too."

Pistachio ua so funny! :drinking::D

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-21-2008, 03:21 PM
hahahahahaha! what the fook was that dribble.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2008, 03:37 PM

Look who's back...it's Boratio!

ensco
11-21-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm OK with his departure, in fact I'm hoping this is true.

I've never understood why Carver's so popular on these boards. It's sure not because of the results.

I think it's because of his English pedigree, his blunt-spoken style, and because he publicly called Cunny out.

I disliked Carver's "bigger than the players" demeanour, his post-game act was offensive...we played 4-5-1 for weeks when it wasn't working, and late in games we were trailing...and, for all this talk of conditioning, we blew the season because we were badly outplayed (and outcoached) late in games.

I give him credit for the spark we showed on set pieces early. But once teams took that away from us, we had very little.

It it weren't for Carver, it could be us playing on Sunday in LA.

scooter
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
QFT. Besides which, Shearer isn't going to sign up with the barcodes until a sale has been completed, and with the money the fat bloke is asking for and the alarming drop in attendances there, plus the international credit crunch, any kind of deal being done is far from a reality. Even if a deal does get done, then you're assuming the buyer(s), having just shelled out hundreds of millions of pounds on the club and its debts, will immediately move to appoint a TV pundit with zero coaching or managerial experience. Both of those things are pretty unlikely, and they both need to come to fruition before Carver "joining Shearer" can even be mooted as a possibility. And even then, it will still be a question of whether the home town call will outweigh Carver's professional ambition as a manager before he's really proved himself.

In the meantime, we carry on prepping for 2009. :canada::canada::canada:

spot on

canadian_bhoy
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

I've never understood why Carver's so popular on these boards. It's sure not because of the results.

I think it's because of his English pedigree, his blunt-spoken style, and because he publicly called Cunny out.

I disliked Carver's "bigger than the players" demeanour, his post-game act was offensive...we played 4-5-1 for weeks when it wasn't working, and late in games we were trailing...and, for all this talk of conditioning, we blew the season because we were badly outplayed (and outcoached) late in games.

I give him credit for the spark we showed on set pieces early. But once teams took that away from us, we had very little.

Are you trying to compete with that Pistachio guy to see who can post the most rediculous comment in the thread? :D

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Replacement please...

ensco
11-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Are you trying to compete with that Pistachio guy to see who can post the most rediculous comment in the thread? :D

Tell me we couldn't have been there instead of the Red Bulls.

ensco
11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Replacement please...

C'mon, you're kidding right? Try using your imagination. Do you not believe there are existing MLS assistants or USL head coaches who could do this job?

Just among MLS assistants....what about Mike Matkovich, the respected Chivas assistant who was here in 2007? Paul Mariner in NE? Mark Sampson at DCU? Then there's Limniatis at Montreal, plus a whole lot of others in the USL.

Or you could try to hire a Soehn or a Nicol from their existing clubs. Or you could bring someone else from League 1 a la Carver

There are lots of good coaches out there.

Parkdale
11-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Boris 0 - Parkdale 1

scooter
11-21-2008, 04:17 PM
well done parky

billyfly
11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
As I've mentioned before on the Portuguese Liga Thread - Let's get Nelo Vingada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelo_Vingada) & (family thru marriage) to coach TFC next year. Sorry Carver I need the access to the dressing room to impress the ladies (don't tell my wife).

kelzag
11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.joelogon.com/images_temp/successoryinternet400.jpg

jloome
11-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I seem to remember Carver addressing this very issue earlier in the year and saying it would be hard to turn such a move down, but not definitevly saying he'd take it.

You have to remember, Newcastle is in a terrible mess. Even if they hire Shearer, new owners (it's up for sale) might -- if he's underperforming -- simply clear house. Carver is aware of that, and might look at the stability of this gig as something to draw on.

Also, Steve Nicol has no reason to come here. The guy they'd be looking at would be his assistant, Paul Mariner, the former Ipswich and Arsenal striker who is Nicol's assistant.

Stouffville_RPB
11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
!..I just was informed!

Newcastle United have formed a partnership with TFC of MLS....John Carver will remain the Coach of TFC....All Newcaslte Reserves will report to TFC march 1st for Training camp!...MLSE also announced...the team will no longer be called the REDS!....They will now be called TORONTO TOONIES FC!

All beers sales this year will be a TOONIE!..

More to come in the following days!...

I wish.:drinking:

jloome
11-21-2008, 04:31 PM
It is different.

It's soccer moms and money that drive the game here. As opposed to love and passion through the rest of the world.

What the world calls the beautiful game, here is a quaint way for rich kids to be active and not have to put up with Rah Rah football and baseball coaches that are big meanies.

Lets have subbing in and subbing out so more people get to participate and everyone can be included. Yay!

Lets have in effect 4 quarters so there's more opportunity to sell ads.

It actually used to BE 4 quarters. My high school team from Quebec used to play against teams from Vermont, adn they played four quarters with multiple subs (kicked our butts, too. They act just as rabidly about h.s. soccer as every other sport.)

Mind you, we spent so much time laughing at their version of 'soccer' that it was hard to take the game seriously.

jloome
11-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Dude, normally I think you're one of the most informed people on here, and I think he had plenty of wacky moments, but you have nothing to support this.

For one, it was Mo Johnston who admitted he could've brought us in late season help to alleviate the international absences but chose not to because he didn't want to give away draft picks. For another, Mo assembled a team made up mostly of internationals which, while good on paper, doesn't do much to support the contention that he knows MLS inside and out.

It's a hell of a stretch to say that, because he didn't turn a turd into gold, Carver is responsible for us missing the playoffs. Hell, I'd give cuntingham that credit -- for deliberately tanking here to get out of town -- before I'd necessarily blame Carver.

Beach_Red
11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
It's a hell of a stretch to say that, because he didn't turn a turd into gold, Carver is responsible for us missing the playoffs. Hell, I'd give cuntingham that credit -- for deliberately tanking here to get out of town -- before I'd necessarily blame Carver.

Okay, but you gotta admit opinions of Carver on here are usually too extreme - he certainly hasn't done anything as bad as some say but it's also too soon for the kind of adulation he's getting (really, that last game in San Jose was such a disgrace and it looked like things were getting turned around).

And next year it will be us in the final.

trane
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Boris 0 - Parkdale 1

I tried with that Donadoni comment, some went for it but not enough. Had Giambiac jumped in you would have been toast.

trane
11-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I would like to see Liamniatis, if Carver was to go.

I hate Donadoni, and there is about the same chance of me coaching AC Milan as him comming to the MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I would like to see Liamniatis, if Carver was to go.

I hate Donadoni, and there is about the same chance of me coaching AC Milan as him comming to the MLS.

thought it was a bit out of form for you, but christ, ive read some incredible things on here

trane
11-21-2008, 07:23 PM
^ I was just trying to get the thread going, in light of the Parky-Boris bet.

ensco
11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Dude, normally I think you're one of the most informed people on here, and I think he had plenty of wacky moments, but you have nothing to support this.

For one, it was Mo Johnston who admitted he could've brought us in late season help to alleviate the international absences but chose not to because he didn't want to give away draft picks. For another, Mo assembled a team made up mostly of internationals which, while good on paper, doesn't do much to support the contention that he knows MLS inside and out.

I appreciate what you're saying.

I think we were right in the mix with NY and about 7 other teams. Perhaps it's unfair to say "that should have been us" and you're right that Mo should wear the blame for the international makeup of the team, but god, we left a lot of points out there on the field, even with the roster we had.

jloome
11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I appreciate what you're saying.

I think we were right in the mix with NY and about 7 other teams. Perhaps it's unfair to say "that should have been us" and you're right that Mo should wear the blame for the international makeup of the team, but god, we left a lot of points out there on the field, even with the roster we had.

Yeah, and there you definitely have a point; I think the fact that it was Carver's first real (not a caretaker for four games) coaching job had a lot to do with that. He seemed to be far too much the "players' coach" the first half, and maybe riding the guys a little more would've got us an extra few points.

Tough to say. Tough because we know so little of what goes on at the club day-to-day.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
In today's Sunday Express…

SHEARER HAS PICKED HIS TOON STAFF ALREADY

Former Newcastle coach John Carver, who served under Sir Bobby Robson among others, would also be part of any new Shearer set-up. He is currently working in Canada.

Carver was once caretaker boss of the Toon for a spell and Shearer wants him back with fitness coach Paul Winsper, who is also currently working in Toronto.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/72164

Where there's smoke…

Damien
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I talked to Carver today... he's flying out to Newcastle on Monday.

jloome
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Seemed to make it pretty clear in the CBC interview (linked in the news section) that he's definitely coming back next year, regardless of what happens at Newcastle. Can't see him going back to just being a field coach.