PDA

View Full Version : Blanco to Santos Laguna

Azerban
11-20-2008, 08:13 AM
No, not for permanent, put down that 8am beer you cracked to celebrate. It's just for their playoffs. All I have in English is an MLSRumors post to collaborate it so I won't even post it, but it's backed up by a Santos fan on another board I post on.

I hope all these bastards who get loaned out get broke, that'll teach these dumb clubs some risk analysis.

Lucky Strike
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Anyone else think all this off-season, self-imposed exile for a few months is not good for the credibility of the league?

Fort York Redcoat
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Anyone else think all this off-season, self-imposed exile for a few months is not good for the credibility of the league?

Bingo. The "saving face" angle of keeping themselves in top playing condition doesn't cut it for me.

Play here for the paycheck (or paycheque) and somewhere else for the glory.

Shaughno
11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Glory may be the case for Blanco, I can't say for sure but how can you say so for Beckham? He's confirmed he won't be signing with AC Milan after the loan is finished, so what's the big deal?

Jack
11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Hmm...

I guess he's not getting enough money from the Fire.

He gets to spend some time in Coahuila, which is always nice now that the cold weather is kicking in.

Flipityflu
11-20-2008, 08:40 AM
i don't know...if i was able to play footy for a living, i would want to play all the time. you know, it is fun :)

Fort York Redcoat
11-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Glory may be the case for Blanco, I can't say for sure but how can you say so for Beckham? He's confirmed he won't be signing with AC Milan after the loan is finished, so what's the big deal?

True Becks doesn't get the glory of winning in Milan but taking of an MLS shirt for the black and red IS something large to even golden balls.

TFC OZZ
11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
You know what, I'm actually going to say no, it doesn't affect the "face of the league" because the season is over. Blanco's career is almost over, and I won't fault a guy for trying to get as much playing time as possible before he's done. The same goes for Beckham.

What makes the league look like shit is the terrible schedule that it runs around.

Shaughno
11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
You know what, I'm actually going to say no, it doesn't affect the "face of the league" because the season is over. Blanco's career is almost over, and I won't fault a guy for trying to get as much playing time as possible before he's done. The same goes for Beckham.

What makes the league look like shit is the terrible schedule that it runs around.

There are plenty more things that make the league look shit and IMO top players trying to stay fit as they get older is hardly a concern. When you're at the age they are, it's much tougher to take an offseason off and come back the next season in great shape. You have to continually keep your conditioning up and what's the easiest way to do that? Continually play.

Lucky Strike
11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
There are plenty more things that make the league look shit and IMO top players trying to stay fit as they get older is hardly a concern. When you're at the age they are, it's much tougher to take an offseason off and come back the next season in great shape. You have to continually keep your conditioning up and what's the easiest way to do that? Continually play.

I should have pointed out in my earlier post that personally, I believe players when they say they want to keep fit or they just love the game so much they want to keep playing.

Rather, it's that people may not believe them (which is not uncommon) which in turn gives the wrong impression of the league. Perception is everything.

This is especially crucial when Euro-snobs are involved. When they already dismiss the MLS, it's easy to get the hate on and them dismiss it even further (rightly or wrongly) when something like this comes up.

Of course it sounds like I'm saying that we should try to impress them like a good little boy would want to impress his father, but that's not it at all. MLS wants to earn a good reputation across the world and if you can convince the Euro-snobs, you can convince anyone.

Shaughno
11-20-2008, 10:16 AM
And now Donovan is supposedly on loan at Bayern for the offseason.

Jack
11-20-2008, 10:17 AM
You make a good point Shag.

Especially when the guys are getting older and realize they don't have that much time left.

Shaughno
11-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Well I think about how much a few days off affects my play, and I'm still young. Imagine a couple months off, then trying to get back into tip top shape within a few weeks. Tough as fuck.

Technorgasm
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
YAY! BLANCO FOR BIGGEST MLS DOUCHEBAG!

http://content.imagesocket.com/images/sunshine_LRG430.gif