PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Fire owe Section 8 Supporters Group $25,000

GabrielHurl
11-19-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.section8chicago.com/jm3/content/view/239/1/

The bulk of the $25,000 owed to us by the club, about $15,000, comes from unpaid commissions on ticket sales in Section 118. This money was earned through Section 8 Chicago's efforts to promote the section to supporters in a deal with years of precedence, which was reinforced in a written document agreed upon by the Fire and Section 8 Chicago during the offseason.

The remainder of that $25,000 comes from the loss of Section 8's megabandera by the Fire at Toyota Park earlier this year, the $10,000 cost of which the club promised to reimburse. Section 8 leadership kept quiet about the loss for months after being privately told the Fire would provide funds for a new megabandera to be made. Yet this is a promise that has been broken by the club, even though the Fire continue to use the image of the megabandera -- paid for entirely by supporters -- on their website.

Shaughno
11-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Ouch...

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/191/502940131_074e04f596.jpg

Roogsy
11-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow...the Fire are dicks! Who'd a thunk?

Those supporters are getting the shaft from every angle. Even the star of the team doesn't back them up. I'd hate to be a Fire fan.

JDG
11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
So in effect, they get paid to support their team?:eek:

GabrielHurl
11-19-2008, 11:25 AM
No - that's not it at all

Shaughno
11-19-2008, 11:26 AM
So in effect, they get paid to support their team?:eek:

In effect, they're FO is just as fucked as ours when it comes to banners.

Roogsy
11-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Both have promised to pay back for the lost banners. My guess is TFC will at least come through where it seems the Fire refuse. It remains to be seen but I am not particularly concerned.

SLBuu
11-19-2008, 11:32 AM
That Blows Big Balls......... always nice to see an FO screwing over their own fans. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it!

JDG
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
No - that's not it at all

In effect, they're FO is just as fucked as ours when it comes to banners.

I understand the point that was being made, but I'm more bothered by the fact that they are getting comission for filling their section.

The bulk of the $25,000 owed to us by the club, about $15,000, comes from unpaid commissions on ticket sales in Section 118. This money was earned through Section 8 Chicago's efforts to promote the section to supporters in a deal with years of precedence, which was reinforced in a written document agreed upon by the Fire and Section 8 Chicago during the offseason.

The remainder of that $25,000 comes from the loss of Section 8's megabandera by the Fire at Toyota Park earlier this year, the $10,000 cost of which the club promised to reimburse. Section 8 leadership kept quiet about the loss for months after being privately told the Fire would provide funds for a new megabandera to be made. Yet this is a promise that has been broken by the club, even though the Fire continue to use the image of the megabandera -- paid for entirely by supporters -- on their website.

Parkdale
11-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I was going to ask what a 'megabandera' was. They could have said 'giant banner' in the article.

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:35 AM
I understand the point that was being made, but I'm more bothered by the fact that they are getting comission for filling their section.
Why are you bothered?

They need more ticket sales. The supporters work to help get more ticket sales. Why shouldn't they be rewarded with money for flags, banners, tifos.

I would be bothered if they were pocketing it.

GabrielHurl
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I was going to ask what a 'megabandera' was. They could have said 'giant banner' in the article.

You got to be bi these days Parky

Bi-lingual :cool:

canadian_bhoy
11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Fine line between working with the club and signing big agreements with them.

Personally, I think its great to work with the club especially if you want to do big tifo's etc. But if you want a cut of the ticket money in the supporters section - go apply for a job at ticketmaster.

JDG
11-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Why are you bothered?

They need more ticket sales. The supporters work to help get more ticket sales. Why shouldn't they be rewarded with money for flags, banners, tifos.

Everyone was up in arms over TRN when the common perception was that they were employed by MLSE. How is this any different?

blackandwhite
11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
speaking of megabranda or giant banners.

http://www.torontofans.ca (http://www.torontofans.ca/)

Is the TFC guy who lost the RPB banners same as the shitcago guy who lost their banner? And is he going to be hired by NY next?

olegunnar
11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Instead of paying section 8 commission what the Fire should do is sell them tickets at discounted rates, then section 8 can sell them at "face" and make a profit.

Blazer
11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
3rd degree fire burns...

Shaughno
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Pretty sure DC has a similar agreement.

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Instead of paying section 8 commission what the Fire should do is sell them tickets at discounted rates, then section 8 can sell them at "face" and make a profit.
It seems like the same thing in the end - except The Fire have proven they can't be trusted.

Blazer
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
That's a fucking ridiculous banner B&W. Just a little taste of awesomeness. ~giggling like a school girl~

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:43 AM
speaking of megabranda or giant banners.

http://www.torontofans.ca (http://www.torontofans.ca/)

Is the TFC guy who lost the RPB banners same as the shitcago guy who lost their banner? And is he going to be hired by NY next?
I've reported your post as spam.

Please be ready for the consequences.

adamdz
11-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Wait that giant banner cost 10gs, holy shit.

blackandwhite
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I've reported your post as spam.

Please be ready for the consequences.

I've called the ACC security.. Please be ready for the consequences.

hahahaha

olegunnar
11-19-2008, 11:46 AM
It seems like the same thing in the end - except The Fire have proven they can't be trusted.

I was poking fun and don't really think any individual or supporters group should be allowed to scalp tickets like that.

My personal opinion is that there should be no profit making on people that want be supporters.

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
That's what I was thinking.

We could buy a small South Korean imported car for that price - and pass it around in the stands.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2006/12/21/21HyundaiM_m.jpg

Parkdale
I've called the ACC security..

you have them on speed dail.

ring ring

hello, this is ACC security

FUCK YOU! <click>

how did that guy get this number?

blackandwhite

Yea guess how much ours will end up costing! Want to buy a scarf?

adamdz
11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Yea guess how much ours will end up costing! Want to buy a scarf?

Yes I do, and I will eventually :P.

Boris
11-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Both have promised to pay back for the lost banners. My guess is TFC will at least come through where it seems the Fire refuse. It remains to be seen but I am not particularly concerned.

regardless...dont you think it sucks another supporters group is treated like that...i dunno...i dont care where they are form but it sucks to see

Roogsy
11-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Read my first post.

blackandwhite
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
you have them on speed dail.

ring ring

hello, this is ACC security

FUCK YOU! <click>

how did that guy get this number?

I don't have their number... it's now even listed here

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/eventpromoterguide/staffdirectory.pdf

nevermind.. maybe this guy
Manager, Facility Services Dave Burchill 815.5578 / 359.9332 dburchill@mapleleafsports.com Event Security

alexintoronto
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I was poking fun and don't really think any individual or supporters group should be allowed to scalp tickets like that.

My personal opinion is that there should be no profit making on people that want be supporters.
I think if done right - it's a win-win-win - as long as no one is personally profiting off of it.

If the supporters group can get the tickets at a discount and pass on most of the discount to it's members (i.e. still below face value) while using some to support the team (banners, flags, tifos) it ends up being good for the club, the supporter's group and the members (who also have the option of buying tickets elsewhere for face value + service fees).

Shaughno
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
^^ Agreed, it's tough to 'do it right' without anyone getting fucked, so to speak.

pepher
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
They lost that!? How on earth...

C.Ronaldo
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM
how do yo loose a banner that big?

someone must have tossed it in the garbage, theres no way you loose that.

BBBulldog
11-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Pretty sure DC has a similar agreement.

kinda, get tickets cheaper, sell for price between regular and our discount. Except there's no money owning and whatnot, we get tickets, DC gets money after, game by game. Ours is more of a barra brava arrangement in that regard, gotta live up to name with all the ultras shit I push :D

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I lol'ed at a supporters group having to promote a club, but then I remembered what we have to do to get people to Canadian national team matches...

And wow. How the fuck do you lose a banner that big anyway? Really a lack of class here from the Fire. I hope this story gets around.

RedRum
11-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Funny how FO's excuse for not paying is the broken benches. I remember thinking when we were there that the benches were flimsy and felt like they were ready to break

King Tut
11-20-2008, 05:13 AM
http://www.soccerpubs.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=30792&st=0

RedRum
11-20-2008, 06:07 AM
^ Great quote in that link from one of the Fire Supporters:

"The NEE folks were cool but the Red Snatch Boys are wannabe thugs."

LMAO!!

King Tut
11-20-2008, 06:44 AM
I ran into that Section 8 thread today. What happened? Did something happen pre/post game between you guys and the visiting Chicago supporters? why are they accusing the group of being wannabe thugs? a certain story behind that?

GhostPK
11-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow...the Fire are dicks! Who'd a thunk?

Those supporters are getting the shaft from every angle. Even the star of the team doesn't back them up. I'd hate to be a Fire fan.
I'd hate it too... Could you imagine being one of the 15 fans trying to hold up that banner?:hump:

FluSH
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I love the name "Megabandera"... The next big one from now on should be a megabandera too lol

FluSH
11-21-2008, 03:36 PM
^ Great quote in that link from one of the Fire Supporters:

"The NEE folks were cool but the Red Snatch Boys are wannabe thugs."

LMAO!!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat... and here I thought we were the carebears of all the supporter groups?! lawl

FluSH
11-21-2008, 03:48 PM

actually bandera = flag

Trapo more or less = Footy Banner

sulfur
11-21-2008, 04:09 PM
It's still a giant banner.

AL-MO
11-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks.

FluSH
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM

It actually looks more like a Flag.... is not a message or some icon figure... it's their symbol with a flag style horizontal lines... yup it qualifies as a flag :D

james
11-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Why are you bothered?

it reminds me of how things are done in Argentina, Barra Bravas are often given thousands of tickets to sell from the clubs. All tho in Argentina they got many,many other issues with Barra Bravas with fighting, match fixing, intimiadation threats and all then just selling tickets!

james
11-24-2008, 12:41 AM
i dont get how they lose these massive banners tho...jsut doesnt make sense to me!

Cashcleaner
11-24-2008, 01:26 AM
What if the money raised as a commission for helping promote the team is in turn used to create banners or flags, or perhaps buy instruments?

When you think about it like that, I don't think it's such a bad thing. Basically you're helping promote the team and getting some cash through your efforts to make the experience just a little bit better. Of course, if guys are just pocketing the cash and running, it's not so cool.

Besides all that, the fact that the club is refusing to reimburse them on their lost banner is in itself a bad sign for any Chicago soccer fan.

Technorgasm
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM
wow.

that is Shite.

I watched KICKING AND SCREAMING last night.

in the scene where Will Ferrel has to tell his kid that he has been traded from the Gladiators to the Tigers, in the kids bedroom, his bedspread has a CHICAGO FIRE logo on it.

one of these days TFC willbe on the Silver Screen.

TorCanSoc
11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
What does one do with a "found" MegaBandera?