PDA

View Full Version : The black mat around the edge of the field

S_D
05-22-2008, 07:53 AM
The black mat that goes around the field in front of the advertising boards needs to go. On at least two occasions I saw players wipe out on them after they had been chasing a ball and were trying to slow down after crossing the touch line. Way too dangerous.

It may only happen when it is raining, but still it has to go. The last thing we need is to see a player get seriously injured.:eek:

sulfur
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
It's worse on the bare concrete.

Trust me on that one. Cleats have no grip on the bare concrete, but on the rubber mat, when it's bone dry, it's decent grip. As soon as the rubber gets wet, it's all over though.

111_DrummerBoy
05-22-2008, 07:58 AM
There was a guy last year, on DC I think, that went hard across the conrete. Next week there was the black mat.

S_D
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Well then they need a better solution that works in all weather. It is almost like they need some shag carpet or something :D

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Much rather wipe out on rubber than concrete thanks.

FluSH
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
The black mat that goes around the field in front of the advertising boards needs to go. On at least two occasions I saw players wipe out on them after they had been chasing a ball and were trying to slow down after crossing the touch line. Way too dangerous.

It may only happen when it is raining, but still it has to go. The last thing we need is to see a player get seriously injured.:eek:

Good thing you brought this up. I was thinking the same thing... how long before a player gets seriously injured?! Guevara almost went over backwards with his back hitting the signage!

and Gallardo took a serious hit... if you watch the close up... I'm surprised he even got up lol

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Flush, what would you rather wipe out on? Rubber or bare concrete where your cleats get absolutely no traction?

Like seriously FFS. In Manchester at Old Trafford there is 1.5 yards from the sidelines to the edge of the BRICK after which there is a 12-14" DROP!

Carts
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I think its a little bush league that the turf doesn't extend further...

I hear what people are saying (better rubber than concrete) but even better would be to extend the turf to end under the advertising signage...

That way, players never leave the turf in regular cases and this problem doesn't exist...

Yes, rubber is better, but there shouldn't be any change in what the player is running on really...

Carts...

FluSH
05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Somebody Is Gonna Get Hurt!

James17930
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM

I hear what people are saying (better rubber than concrete) but even better would be to extend the turf to end under the advertising signage...

That way, players never leave the turf in regular cases and this problem doesn't exist...

Yes, rubber is better, but there shouldn't be any change in what the player is running on really...

Carts...

That's what I've always wanted, and frankly, expected when BMO was being built. I remember when it was finished we were looking at the pictures and thinking 'concrete? WTF????'

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
That's what I've always wanted, and frankly, expected when BMO was being built. I remember when it was finished we were looking at the pictures and thinking 'concrete? WTF????'

Again, pretty standard practice around the world and you don't hear about players getting injured elsewhere from 'falling' off the pitch.

Would you rather have this, with a 12" drop at the edge of the brick?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/kaush.gchat/RmZzS_ii-lI/AAAAAAAAASA/gVo-lfLhoEY/IMG_1603.JPG?imgmax=640

111_DrummerBoy
05-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Flush, what would you rather wipe out on? Rubber or bare concrete where your cleats get absolutely no traction?

Like seriously FFS. In Manchester at Old Trafford there is 1.5 yards from the sidelines to the edge of the BRICK after which there is a 12-14" DROP!

Actually, Old Trafford has a downward slope onto ashphalt at the sides. But yes, grass at the side none the less. All the European stadiums are like that. Still better than BMO's setup.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Actually, it's brick as you can see in that picture and I probably overstated the distance from the sideline to the drop, 5 yards max.

111_DrummerBoy
05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=241

That's what I was talking about. I see what you mean by the brick though. I thought you were talking about the wall. :P

Either way we both agree that it's safer than BMO.

Shaughno
05-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I played at BMO a few times, including in the rain and had no problems with the rubber surround. :p In fact, I'm glad it's there because the bare concrete would be tretcherous.

ensco
05-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Gallardo earned some respect there by bouncing back up when he actually had cause to stay down for a bit

Boris
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
bare concrete is slippery beyond belief. Id much rather have rubber surrounding it. Also, the fall, id much rather fall on rubber. We are so spoiled here and no one knows it.

Parkdale
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Last year Marvell Wynne tackled someone into the bare concrete and the guy must have got a serious case of road rash. He looked furious too, and charged at Wynne, but Wynne has super powers, so he made clean get-a-way.

is there anything that won't be complained about on the internet? The rubber mats are there to protect the players from very serious injuries, and you know what.... IT WAS RAINING last night, so everything is going to be a bit more slippery.

Oblio2
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Maybe we should have these around the edge:

http://i27.tinypic.com/15zfc3q.jpg

Jamaicanadian
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Carts...

I totally agree!
Running outta room is one thing but running and sliding on "ice" into boards while outta control is madness.

Roogsy
05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I've played at BMO in the rain and that rubber mat is insanely slippery when wet. So yeah, thankfully it's better than slipping on concrete...but surely there is SOMETHING that can be done...especially for a professional soccer match.

VPjr
05-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe we should have these around the edge:

http://i27.tinypic.com/15zfc3q.jpg

Brilliant idea.

seriously though, while its dangerous, its no worse than the situation in a lot of English stadiums where the stands are insanely close to the pitch. Look at Craven Cottage. Guys are very careful about staying under control around the touch lines because there is some sort of gulley behind the nets that can eat a player up.

Corpand
05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Gallardo took a mega hit on it, big wipeout but he seemed just shook up.

Boschmeister
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
We are pretty lucky considering a player from NK Zadar in the Croatian league was killed a month ago after running into a concrete wall on the sidelines (it was only a few feet from the touch line).

Fort York Redcoat
05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
A layer of foam underneath? Not much they can do.