PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pablo Angel, master of timing and tact

Azerban
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Juan Pablo Angel says he is "really happy in New York but that the idea of going back to Argentina is very attractive"... "Playing in Argentina was a dream come true. When I went to Europe I knew it was not going to compare with playing for River, and I was right. I would like to play for River Plate again because that team means a lot to me." So, what about the Red Bulls? "I know I have a responsibility here with the Red Bulls, but I have always said that a contract doesn't mean much when you have the desire to play somewhere else". MLS en Espanol thinks there is a big chance he goes back to River because Angel wants to play for the Colombian National team again (the head coach has publicly say he wants him back, too) and playing in Argentina gives him more and better exposure than the MLS.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/77932

They quote MLS Rumors, but it's actually an interview he did with an Argentinian website. How often does a teams star player announce he wants to leave a week before the championship game?

rocker
11-17-2008, 10:23 PM
they are screwed when he leaves.

Keyman
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Ah the comedy that is the MLS

flatpicker
11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I am shaking my head right now in disbelief...

That was a very stupid and arrogant comment by Angel.
It was disrespectful to the league that employs him.
...regardless of whether or not the MLS is a comedy show...

Kevvv
11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
Is it that much different than Ronaldo saying he wants to play in Spain? But I agree the timing couldn't be worse.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Curious to see how much truth thereis to that, i seem to remember Ives posting something saying the opposite (Angel wanted to stay another year)

MUFC_Niagara
11-18-2008, 12:50 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/77932

They quote MLS Rumors, but it's actually an interview he did with an Argentinian website. How often does a teams star player announce he wants to leave a week before the championship game?

Can you blame the guy? He's probably come to the realization that the league is a disgrace. If he wants international football again it is going to come at the expense of his club because the stupid league doesn't honour the FIFA calender!

Toronto Ruffrider
11-18-2008, 12:51 AM

Agreed. A contract is a binding agreement between two bodies. If Angel wants out of New York, he should've signed a shorter-term deal. New York is paying Angel good money; the least he could do is honour his end of the contract.

Yohan
11-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Agreed. A contract is a binding agreement between two bodies. If Angel wants out of New York, he should've signed a shorter-term deal. New York is paying Angel good money; the least he could do is honour his end of the contract.
the meaning of contracts between a player and team has been useless for years now

most players are freaking mercs. the lot of them

Toronto Ruffrider
11-18-2008, 02:21 AM
the meaning of contracts between a player and team has been useless for years now

most players are freaking mercs. the lot of them

It's a shame, because the relationship between players and teams goes both ways. It's not as though Angel is at the bottom of the rung and making only $30k a year. If I was making $1.5 million, as per Angel's salary listed by the MLS players' union, I would feel obligated to honour my contract.

twistedchinaman
11-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Duuuuuuuuuude, what a Chingus Dingdong.

TK88
11-18-2008, 08:24 AM
The interview was done near the beginning of the season, it wasn't done recently. Someone is just releasing it to try to cause problems.

Fort York Redcoat
11-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Is it that much different than Ronaldo saying he wants to play in Spain? But I agree the timing couldn't be worse.

No Ronaldo wasn't saying outright his contract meant nothing. He was just acting that way- like most players.

The interview was done near the beginning of the season, it wasn't done recently. Someone is just releasing it to try to cause problems.

Still idiotic if in fact the translation is accurate.

TK88
11-18-2008, 08:33 AM
^ I agree its idiotic, the interview was on Goltv news around the beginning of the season.

JonO
11-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Ah the comedy that is the MLS
at least they're in good company. he also said "When I went to Europe I knew it was not going to compare with playing for River, and I was right."

Hitcho
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Good, then fack orf Angel. I can't wait to see the back of you. You were a whining tosser at Villa and you're the same here. And to anyone who claims the league will be poorer without him, so will the shite bulls, so who cares? :D:D:D

Fort York Redcoat
11-18-2008, 10:25 AM
No worries. Here comes Freddie.:lol:

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I think sometimes we getmore excited about the MLS then it deserves ..

The league is a Joke around the world ..People laugh at it bottom line ..
TFC is our game so we like it but on the whole the League is Bush

Hitcho
11-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I think sometimes we getmore excited about the MLS then it deserves ..

The league is a Joke around the world ..People laugh at it bottom line ..
TFC is our game so we like it but on the whole the League is Bush

I think everyone recognises the standing of MLS within the international game, and it's not that high. But the fact is that our team plays in the MLS league so from a footballig point of view, TFC and the league we play in is the centre of our universe and it's to be expected that developments within the league generate a significant reaction.

The alternative is that we only focus on TFC and ignore the league because it's "bush", but that would be myopic in the extreme. And if MLS cannot grow in standing in the eyes of the fans of the teams who play in it, then what chance does it have of gaining more exposure and significance around the world as time goes on? None.

So yeah, Angel or any DP causing a stir by coming to or leaving the league is a big deal, because it's OUR LEAGUE. The same is true for any fans of any league anywhere in the world, no?

canadian_bhoy
11-18-2008, 11:12 AM

C'mon Flats. First of all - the interview was with an Argentine reporter. Do you know it was a loaded question and do you really think he's going to insult his home by saying he has no desire to play there?

Its like when they ask a band what they think of the fans in Toronto and they always say "oh yeah, Toronto has the best fans"...no they don't. You telling me that 14k at the ampitheatre is better than your 200,000 person show at Glastonbury?

On top of that, players are always jockying for contracts and more money. This article will get him noticed in Argentina - now especially if he scores in the final. On top of that - NYRB won't just sit back and think they've got him locked up.

This is all politics.

Roogsy
11-18-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree with everything you said Mike except for "his home" part.

Angel is Colombian not Argentinian. But he played for River.

canadian_bhoy
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with everything you said Mike except for "his home" part.

Angel is Colombian not Argentinian. But he played for River.

bah - same thing. :p:hide:

Roogsy
11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
LOL!

:banghead:

Ladies Love Julius James
11-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Ronaldo pulled this shit as well so it's not uncommon to be a dick for a new contract.

nobodybeatsthewiz
11-18-2008, 11:28 AM
not surprising. what's he supposed to say when asked - "leaving to another (better) league maybe for altidore, but it's not for me"???