PDA

View Full Version : Let's Help Nigel Reed

Wagner
11-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I was chatting with Nigel at the big Party at Joe's 2 weeks ago.

Nigel, who is super friendly and accessible, mentioned that he could use our help again with CBC.

Last year, we wrote a bunch of emails stating that Nigel is the best Play-by-Play option for CBC.

He said his contract is very much "year to year."
so if we want him around, we should send in some emails.

I found this link:

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

CretanBull
11-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Without question Nigel is the best footy play-by-play announcer in the league. I have no problem with sharing my appreciation of him with his bosses :)

SQUIRREL
11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I've sent my comments to CBC, lets keep Nigel around for awhile. Maybe he can be our don Cherry of futbol. Just better dressed.

Huginho
11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
I've sent my comments to CBC, lets keep Nigel around for awhile. Maybe he can be our don Cherry of futbol. Just better dressed.

and not as senile.

Roogsy
11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Truly enthusiastic for the team.

Loves the sport, has been reporting it for years.

And has been identified as the voice of TFC during our initial seasons.

How the CBC could even think of dropping him is a mystery to me.

koryo
11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
message sent.

James17930
11-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Truly enthusiastic for the team.

Loves the sport, has been reporting it for years.

And has been identified as the voice of TFC during our initial seasons.

How the CBC could even think of dropping him is a mystery to me.

Q-F-T

denime
11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Done!

Blazer
11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I just gave HUGE props...

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Nigel is the best in North America without a doubt. Love him, definitely sending emails with all my accounts. :D

Pigfynn
11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
mee too

Gobi
11-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Lavish praise sent.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Done and Done!

DOMIN8R
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Done.

Eastend
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I guess no one wants to poste here ^^ so I'll bite.

Here's what I sent:

Hi,
I would just like to express my appreciation to the CBC for it's ongoing dedication to sports broadcasting. With that said, I would like to commend you in your choice of commentator for TFC coverage. I believe that Nigel Reed is the real deal and the perfect choice to bring football to Canadian fans.
Cheers.

bee dubya
11-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I like Nigel and think he's one of the better soccer announcers this side of the pond but I also think he needs to improve. It seems like he often confuses players on TFC and calls out the incorrect name. I'd let it slide if it only happened occasionally but it happens far too often and it's something he really needs to work on. If he could correct that, he'd be a much better announcer.

Mark in Ottawa
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
My submission to CBC:

As the Major League Soccer (MLS) season comes to a close for 2008 I would like to voice my appreciation and support for the continuation of CBC carrying the games of the Toronto Football Club (TFC). Hopefully the addition of any other Canadian team that may be added to MLS in the near future as well as the continuation of the CONCCAF Champions league will provide more opportunities to feature Canadian soccer.

In particular your choice of Nigel Reed as the voice of soccer on CBC was a "master stroke". Nigels obvious love of the beautiful game without the cheerleading mentality we are so often exposed to in other sports broadcasting (hockey comes to mind) is truly refreshing. His knowledge of the game worldwide and at all levels makes him the perfect choice for bringing the game to a Canadian audience of experienced soccer fans as well as those just coming to appreciate the sport.

Mark in Ottawa
11-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I like Nigel and think he's one of the better soccer announcers this side of the pond but I also think he needs to improve. It seems like he often confuses players on TFC and calls out the incorrect name. I'd let it slide if it only happened occasionally but it happens far too often and it's something he really needs to work on. If he could correct that, he'd be a much better announcer.

And a better choice would be... ?

Oblio2
11-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Done

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey, it happens to the best of them... As he's here longer, knowing which player wears which number will become easier.

T_Mizz
11-17-2008, 12:48 PM
To be completely fair TFC has been somewhat of a revolving door franchise and it's tough for anyone.

TFC_Toon
11-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Good deed of the day or should I say good reed of the day.....done.

Keep up the good work Nigel!

SilverSamurai
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Sent

Oldtimer
11-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I couldn't name a better play-by-play announcer (in English) in North America, and I've heard both Canadian and American ones.

Azerban
11-17-2008, 02:37 PM
i sent them an email saying they should hire Max Bretos and Alexi Lalas, for colour and play-by-play respectively, only lock them in the booth in between home games with only a helium tank, ramen noodles and amyl nitrites for substinence, and broadcast the whole thing 24/7 over webcam

hopefully you will all see that this approach is the superior one, and assist me in my email campaign

nascarguy
11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
who is Max Bretos and Alexi Lalas

Azerban
11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
who is Max Bretos and Alexi Lalas

thanks nascar, i was writing a philosophy paper and needed an example of 'ignorance is bliss'

nascarguy
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
i fround out who max is

Max Bretos is a soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer) and professional wrestling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling) broadcaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presenter) working for World Wrestling Entertainment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wrestling_Entertainment) (WWE). As one of the newest announcers for WWE,

sorry I stoping the wwe becuse it was full of bullshit and was boring I now only watch UFC

and as for Alexi Lalas was fired as Galaxy GM and why would that loser

greatwhitenorf
11-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Nigel in, Craig Forrest Gump out.

The Sublime and the ridiculous.

Nigel has the quintesstial knack for calling a game. Draws you in, makes you feel like you learned something. Indispensable.

Forrest, on your bike. Would rather have Gerry Dobson working with Thundering Dale Barnes.

J .
11-18-2008, 12:46 AM
I liked both Reed and Forrest last season for the most part.

It would also be fantastic if they would air the Charleston Cup matches!

David_Oliveira
11-18-2008, 01:01 AM
i fround out who max is

Max Bretos is a soccer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer) and professional wrestling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling) broadcaster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presenter) working for World Wrestling Entertainment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wrestling_Entertainment) (WWE). As one of the newest announcers for WWE,

sorry I stoping the wwe becuse it was full of bullshit and was boring I now only watch UFC

and as for Alexi Lalas was fired as Galaxy GM and why would that loser

they actually do the broadcast for FSC...I think or is it ESPN? I forget right now

scooter
11-18-2008, 08:26 AM
done

Daveisonfire
11-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Comment sent :)

kelzag
11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Done.

dannyd
11-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry to spoil the party, but I'm not not a huge Nigel Reed fan. Two years commentating on TFC and he still doesn't know a whole lot about TFC and seems to be oblivious about other teams/players in MLS.

I agree he's an ok commentator, but come on, do a little homework and make it seem like this league interests you a little...

VoxPopuliCosmicum
11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Sorry to spoil the party, but I'm not not a huge Nigel Reed fan. Two years commentating on TFC and he still doesn't know a whole lot about TFC and seems to be oblivious about other teams/players in MLS.

I agree he's an ok commentator, but come on, do a little homework and make it seem like this league interests you a little...

I don't disagree that Nigel appears not to know much about the rest of MLS. Even so, I'll take his relatively sparse commentary over any other I've seen/heard. Maybe CBC needs new colour commentary, but Nigel's class.

Comment sent.

AL-MO
11-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Fine, but please provide a name of a better commentator. Nigel is by far the best in NA. Waaaaaaay better than those annoying american guys.

bee dubya
11-18-2008, 02:34 PM
It has nothing to do with providing a name of someone better, Nigel does a good job but there's always room for improvement. It's constructive criticism. I think Vox's points are valid.

EastYork
11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Done

rocker
11-18-2008, 03:20 PM

i can understand criticism about him not knowing a lot about MLS.... but "doesn't know a whole lot about TFC?" why do you say that? I read his blogs and he knows more about TFC than most people on this board.

alexintoronto
11-18-2008, 03:24 PM
i fround out who max is

Scooby-Doo is that you?

Stencils
11-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Message sent.

I had a chance to talk with Nigel Reed for a bit at the RPB party and he's just a genuine guy. We talked about how we can't get the games with our teams over here and how sometimes you think "why am I paying so much for Setanta sports on my cable" and then suddenly your team is playing and you could care less if it cost $100 a month.

He's a Spurs supporter btw.

greatwhitenorf
11-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Message sent.

He's a Spurs supporter btw.

Quality AND character. Second letter to CBC en route.

e_mcarthur89
11-18-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gJ9HCzbJfI

No Bruce Arena love? haha sooo bad

greatwhitenorf
11-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Can't wait to hear what Chawrly Pah-lill-oh will do with those seafood restaurant ads on next year's Houston telecasts. Not much dignity left after doing those games.

TFC USA
11-19-2008, 10:23 PM
If you say Steve Armitage is better I will come to your house and chop off your balls. :D

Nigel rules!

greatwhitenorf
11-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Steeeve Arrghmitage. King of the heavyweights in Canada's sports media dining rooms. Eats the cutlery for dessert.