PDA

View Full Version : More Inside information from Pub Night

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Alright, so this time around i'll keep the names nameless...in this case i think i should try to protect identities...:)

I was also informed last night of BIG BIG rumblings concerning TFC TV.

As we all might of figured so already... MLSE has a big hard on for GOLtv, which basically was reported to me last night that the deal is basically a slam dunk already in terms of being bought. And they are already working on programming.

So then i asked where are they going to go with it?? and they said that they were going to crank up the production of TFC TV and including other programming and then package that and sell it to us as a subscription service... that means truck loads of $$$$$$$ for MLSE. I personally don't mind paying a reasonable fee for such a TV channel...It is gonna be a SUPER KICK ASS TFC TV Channel, which is pretty sweet...

Another thing that was mentioned was that the new jersey will be unveiled in the first week of december, which is awesome! BUT will not be available to be purchased until MARCH!!!( Which is CRAP! I want my jersey before christmas!!!)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:32 PM
better keep bundesliga for fuck sake

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
also better get more mls coverage in general
i wonder what this means as far as national coverage is concerned, whether other stations will still get games or whether they are going to limit it to goltv

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Ya that would be great Scrap the free internet show and put it on Cable where I have to fucking pay for it .. Great Idea !!! where do I sing up to pay more

Damien
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Just another channel to get free on the Dish Network :D

Kickit09
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
have you seen LeafsTV or RaptorsTV? its garbage, other than a couple live games a year its nothing but waste of time filler. I have GolTV, its good the way it is now, and i hope MLSE leaves it alone. infact i'll probably cancel it if they take over and its anything like the TFC TV thats on their website now.

11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
have you seen LeafsTV or RaptorsTV? its garbage, other than a couple live games a year its nothing but waste of time filler. I have GolTV, its good the way it is now, and i hope MLSE leaves it alone. infact i'll probably cancel it if they take over and its anything like the TFC TV thats on their website now.

hahaah Ya I want to hear that Marbled mouth kid talk on my TV screen and be billed for it ..
Maybe even through in On the Spot with the Ugly haircutted Lissel
..please let me pay for this honor

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm sure they'll keep what is already getting good ratings on GolTV...and then just add to it or enhance it...

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Yup good point!! I'll just score it for free also! :D

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM
if its a mix of current programming + TFC games and MLS games its a great idea, if they rid of everything else and ONLY put TFC games, its a massive mistake.
I think they will try and incorporate the two as it will make TFC/MLS more legitimate in some soccer snobs eyes when its shown along side La liga, Bundesliga and south american games.

AL-MO
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I get Gol on my my FTA satiliette anyways.

But I wouldn't pay for this channel normally.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 02:05 PM
i think they will keep it relatively the same as they dont want to risk alienating old viewers

olegunnar
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
if its a mix of current programming + TFC games and MLS games its a great idea, if they rid of everything else and ONLY put TFC games, its a massive mistake.
I think they will try and incorporate the two as it will make TFC/MLS more legitimate in some soccer snobs eyes when its shown along side La liga, Bundesliga and south american games.

I agree. If it's a place that shows games from all around the world, but gives TFC priority (ie TFC live followed by a post game followed by a taped Serie A game) then I think it's a great idea.

On your 2nd point GolTV already does that....for example they have awesome La Liga games followed by crappy Colombian league games.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree. If it's a place that shows games from all around the world, but gives TFC priority (ie TFC live followed by a post game followed by a taped Serie A game) then I think it's a great idea.

On your 2nd point GolTV already does that....for example they have awesome La Liga games followed by crappy Colombian league games.

totally
and its all great to watch

rocker
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
GolTV news is one of the worst news shows of any kind out there in terms of professionalism. the highschool students (??) doing voiceovers misname players, forget which highlights are coming up, fail to match their script to the action and on and on... pathetic.

Oldtimer
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
GolTV news is one of the worst news shows of any kind out there in terms of professionalism. the highschool students (??) doing voiceovers misname players, forget which highlights are coming up, fail to match their script to the action and on and on... pathetic.

So the *** new *** "CV2 show" should fit right in!!! (j/k)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11-14-2008, 02:33 PM
^^^^ yep should be smooth transition

Stouffville_RPB
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
How do the players know about what MLSE's is looking to purchase? What business is it of their anyway?

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 02:42 PM
How do the players know about what MLSE's is looking to purchase? What business is it of their anyway?

I NEVER said the protected person is a player in this case!! ;)

Wagner
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
going subscription for TFC games would be death.

look at the Raps....they only have like 2 games on raps TV this year.

look at boxing...it's dead...

you don't cultivate new young fans buy making it expensive and exclusive.
TFC is too new to pull this stunt.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
TFC games will not become a subscription package. even if every single peson who goes to home games bought a subscription, that's still only 20,000 subs, and add in the waiuting list and it's only 30,000 subs - those kind of figures get tv stations shut down. besides which, you can halve the number of households who will subscorbe from that figure anyway - so 10,000 max.

the wider appeal just isn't there yet, so they need to build it up by having the games free to air.

ACSertL
11-14-2008, 03:14 PM

+1 for sure.

We support different teams (if memory serves me correct) but there is no other place to get my Bundesliga games!

Ageroo
11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Another thing that was mentioned was that the new jersey will be unveiled in the first week of december, which is awesome! BUT will not be available to be purchased until MARCH!!!( Which is CRAP! I want my jersey before christmas!!!)

I heard the same thing as well, but I also thought that I heard they were going to make them available to season ticket holders before the big release to the public......and no, I don't have a source.

bee dubya
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
And I'm sure that the league would prefer to see MLS have exposure on CBC, Rogers Sportsnet and The Score instead of having TFC games aired on a digital specialty channel.

If MLSE does buy GOL TV and I suspect they will, I think what might end up happening is that they'll roll all the licenses together to create MLSE TV. You'll have LEAFS TV, RAPTORS TV and TFC TV all in one, similar to what happens in the US with the YES Network or MSG. The CRTC recently made a decision regarding sports channels which will allow for these digital channels to compete for national rights packages (Sportsnet, for example, used to only be able to buy regional rights for NHL but could now compete with TSN if they want for the national rights).

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 03:22 PM
+1 for sure.

We support different teams (if memory serves me correct) but there is no other place to get my Bundesliga games!

we do indeed but lord knows what life was like before innernets and goltv
absolutely terrible for us fans, christ it was awful reading it in the papers or having to listen to the games in german online (cuz there was no video streaming)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 03:24 PM
i was a big fan of TFC on CBC until they started shifting it to fucking BOLD for horse jumping. Now i understand that they dont always get the ratings they need but i can totally understand shifting it to a channel that would prioritize the games so they are shown live.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
prob is, as others have mentioned, theres no room for growth in new fans as access to live games will be only given to paying viewers.

Kayed
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
They better not fuck around with La Liga schedule, that's all I gotta say.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 08:28 PM
leafs tv sucks becuse the leafs suck

and this is not new news I know about the take over for about a month or less.

TorCanSoc
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Call me cheesy I liked TFC TV. I figure with a bigger audience they'll put a bit more into it. I must say I'm not a CV2 fan. But for the kids I think they relate to him. I've posted before about this concept for all the HNIC specialty segments they've put on over the years I still remember "Howie Meeker Hockey Schools" segments.... and that was 30+ years ago no? I would imagine kids will remember CV2 more than any game recaps.

In any case. I would love to see more MLS games. I subscribed to MLSLive.com last year. It was hit and miss, not all games were on it as you are led to believe.

Cashcleaner
11-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Fuck this scheme. TFC should be shown more (if not exclusively) on CBC Ontario-wide. Anyone who thinks this plan is a great idea must either be an idiot or working for MLSE.

As a fan, I hate the idea of having to pay even more to watch my team play. If MLSE wants to buy GolTV that's cool by me, but Toronto FC has to remain a free broadcast for fans.

MG42
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Fuck this scheme. TFC should be shown more (if not exclusively) on CBC Ontario-wide. Anyone who thinks this plan is a great idea must either be an idiot or working for MLSE.

As a fan, I hate the idea of having to pay even more to watch my team play. If MLSE wants to buy GolTV that's cool by me, but Toronto FC has to remain a free broadcast for fans.

Damn straight.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 10:38 PM

free suck right now I'm not happy with the way cbc broadcast it the people that they have calling the game sometime sound haft a sleep & mlse is telling cbc to get there act togethere and broadcast all tfc game live the right way or get lost.

mlse is only after one thing they want is money.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 11:05 PM
look at this info I fround on Wikipedia

In March 2007, SCP Worldwide announced that it had offered to buy 80% of GolTV for $200 million but the deal fell through, but SCP Worldwide and GolTV agreed to produce and distribute the first four rounds of South American FIFA World Cup 2010 qualifying (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)) games.

so mlse wants a part of that money

so I would love to know how much mlse is putting up if goltv turn down $200 millon

rocker
11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
that's not goltv canada, nascar.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 11:09 PM
As of August 1,08 GolTV - the 24/7 soccer network - has been removed from DISH Network due to a contract dispute.
http://www.epltalk.com/goltv-removed-from-dish-network/2792

it looks like they put it back on

Toronto_Bhoy
11-14-2008, 11:10 PM
This is not new...MLSE have been interested in GolTV for sometime. Their market research BEFORE purchasing the expansion franchise included the prospect of media buys.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 11:12 PM
that's not goltv canada, nascar.ok but i still would like to know how much there putting up

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Horrible idea. I won't pay for this ever.
TFC as a subscription service would be another sign that the end is nigh.
Just who do they think we are?
Buy a channel to see 1 game a week + God knows how many hours of reruns and shit commentary shows?

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 11:17 PM
And can't MLSE just focus on getting us a winning team for now?
How long til they want us to buy TFC condos?

Red CB Toronto
11-14-2008, 11:24 PM
MLSE owner and chairman Larry Tanenbaum is already the owner the GolTV as the company Insight Sports which he has a majority interest in owns it, If I were MLSE I would merge Leafs TV and Raptors TV into one, as it would knock out some of the lesser programming, I would keep GolTV on its own and would just add TFC and MLS programing to compliment the existing programing.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 11:25 PM
And can't MLSE just focus on getting us a winning team for now?
How long til they want us to buy TFC condos?

$500 million CAD for Maple Leaf Square (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_Leaf_Square) It is expected to be completed by 2010.

nascarguy
11-14-2008, 11:27 PM
MLSE owner and chairman Larry Tanenbaum is already the owner the GolTV as the company Insight Sports which he has a majority interest in owns it, If I were MLSE I would merge Leafs TV and Raptors TV into one, as it would knock out some of the lesser programming, I would keep GolTV on its own and would just add TFC and MLS programing to compliment the existing programing.
I think that is what he is trying to do

Cashcleaner
11-14-2008, 11:48 PM
free suck right now I'm not happy with the way cbc broadcast it the people that they have calling the game sometime sound haft a sleep & mlse is telling cbc to get there act togethere and broadcast all tfc game live the right way or get lost.

mlse is only after one thing they want is money.

Nascar, give your head a shake. Free sucks right now? TFC on CBC ia solid gold and you don't have to subscribe to anything.

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Nascar, give your head a shake. Free sucks right now? TFC on CBC ia solid gold and you don't have to subscribe to anything.
cbc needs get there act togethere and broadcast all tfc games live so no cbc is not soild gold. Now if i would have paid for this years game I would have cancel it

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 12:30 AM

wasnt that gold, when they were aired live they were great, too many shows were switched to bold for hockey, horse jumping, reruns of air farce etc
If they could guarantee that theyd air them (especially nationally), which they cant, it would be an obvious choice

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 12:32 AM
for the record, a pay channel for all TFC games is a bad idea, the support just isnt there yet, i dunno how they will pull this off and keep it appealing at a price

ThunderTundra
11-15-2008, 12:38 AM
If they make TFC games a pay service (which they sort of do by switching many games to Bold) I won't be able to watch any TFC games, I'm a recent graduate with a huge desire to order things like digital cable and special channel packs, but I have other things to think about (groceries, bills, rent, trying to keep a good job in the economic hell storm etc...) the LAST thing I need is for them to take TFC away from me and make me pay. I will walk to Toronto to kick their asses, each and every one of them until they broadcast every fricking TFC game live to me on CBC or what have you including MLS playoff games and show more respect to the fans that love this team. I'll be damned if they make this a suit club, its a peoples club through and through.

Watching the games on TV and this website and all of you guys is all I've been able to have as far as TFC goes since before the stadium was complete. This move makes me nervous.

There's my two cents

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
come next year everyone going to be made to switch over to digital cable.

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 01:39 AM
for TFC to work they would have to give everyone 3 months free and air all the stuff that goes on after the game with the press and show all Canada mans and womans games and TFC friendly

and what would you say if it was add to the season ticket pack for a price say for 25 to 50% off . if the price was 20 to 30$ a year. For ticket holders would pay 10 to 15$

just because mlse is buying goltv does not mean that CBC will not live TFC game it just means that the game will be show on TV or maybe even online for the supporter over sea mlse love money and take it anyway they can.

goltv is what about 15$ a month now

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 03:22 AM
nope goltv is 2$ a month, setanta is 15

Cashcleaner
11-15-2008, 04:35 AM
wasnt that gold, when they were aired live they were great, too many shows were switched to bold for hockey, horse jumping, reruns of air farce etc
If they could guarantee that theyd air them (especially nationally), which they cant, it would be an obvious choice

That's a good point about the games played on Bold or tape delay, but lets admit that the more demand there is for TFC the more likely CBC will be showing games live, on the regular channels, and possibly in HD.

Oldtimer
11-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I would be surprised if MLSE doesn't keep Bundesliga, etc. Adding TFC to GOLTV is a great idea from MLSE's perspective:

(1) Enables them to cut out the poorer-quality broadcasts on Sportsnet and especially on the Score. They may, in fact, keep CBC to broadly market the team, but CBC doesn't broadcast all games.

(2) Gives further "legitimacy" to the MLS "product." If it's shown on TV along with the overseas leagues, it makes it seem more in the same category than if it's played on Bold at midnight.

(3) GOLTV is losing money. MLSE knows how to make money from just about anything, so they can buy GOLTV cheap, then make lots of money from it.

(4) Gives TFC more exposure than the Score or Sportsnet would give, to the "right" market -- not the general sports fan market, which would only have limited success --- but to those who already love the "beautiful game."

ensco
11-15-2008, 08:05 AM
For those of you who are all up in arms about this this.....I think it's time to pull down the Star Wars posters in your bedroom, maybe get rid of the Jedi Warrior lunch box too, and have a look around.

There isn't a sports team in the world that doesn't have, or isn't exploring, its own majority-owned TV affiliate.

MG42
11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
For those of you who are all up in arms about this this.....I think it's time to pull down the Star Wars posters in your bedroom, maybe get rid of the Jedi Warrior lunch box too, and have a look around.

There isn't a sports team in the world that doesn't have, or isn't exploring, its own majority-owned TV affiliate.

WTF is that even supposed to mean? I didn't see anyone arguing that there isn't a sports team in the world that isn't exploring it's own TV affiliate, just that some will be unhappy having to pay for it.:bigear:

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 09:08 AM
nope goltv is 2$ a month, setanta is 15
I have both and I want to order the setanta online so I get to watch the games from holland

zacRWE
11-15-2008, 11:53 AM

If MLSE buys GolTV and gets rid of Bundesliga (and Bundesliga shows like Goal Magazine/Hallo Bundesliga) I will go mental. That is the sole purpose I bought GolTV, and I already get a hefty TFC related fix (and do think that adding more MLS related programming is good), taking away my only Bundesliga fix would drive me crazy!

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 12:01 PM
if goltv is losing money then maybe they need to put the price up from 2$ to 10$

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 01:08 PM
That's a good point about the games played on Bold or tape delay, but lets admit that the more demand there is for TFC the more likely CBC will be showing games live, on the regular channels, and possibly in HD.

absolutely, at this point its a matter of catering to the existing demand and creating new demand

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 01:11 PM
If MLSE buys GolTV and gets rid of Bundesliga (and Bundesliga shows like Goal Magazine/Hallo Bundesliga) I will go mental. That is the sole purpose I bought GolTV, and I already get a hefty TFC related fix (and do think that adding more MLS related programming is good), taking away my only Bundesliga fix would drive me crazy!

you and me both, im certain they will keep it, although the Bundesliga is one of the top leagues in the world (top 5), its not plagued with high prices and money issues like other leagues, im sure that they arent getting fucked financially to air the games. it really would be a massive mistake to rid of it or any of the other stuff (la liga or even the colombian games etc)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I have both and I want to order the setanta online so I get to watch the games from holland

me too, also foxsportsworld, which is pretty much crap but they show the odd usl/mls games on there to make up for it

Blizzard
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Exactly. People are going way overboard here.

MLSE isn't going to destroy Gol TV. They will augment current programming with some current TFC programming. They want to keep their current subscribers and add to them, not drive the true soccer fan away.

I for one have no problem paying an extra $2 a month (if that is in fact what it might be) to be able to see repeats of TFC matches and other TFC programming along with all the other. Subscribe from April to October and you are paying a whole $14 (at the current price)!!! How much is one beer at BMO????

Also, MLSE isn't going to take TFC off of free television. Why would they even dream of cutting off their audience. CBC is the best thing that could have happened to TFC and they know it.

Take a deep breath guys. Let's see what happens but there really is no point in going off the deep end like some of these posts have done.

RicoSuave44
11-17-2008, 07:36 AM
well said Bliz

Mark in Ottawa
11-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Saw an ad yesterday for the Mo Johnston show to be shown on GolTV!

Wagner
11-17-2008, 09:39 AM

Where do they sell these money trees in the Hammer??

Oldtimer
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I for one have no problem paying an extra $2 a month (if that is in fact what it might be) to be able to see repeats of TFC matches and other TFC programming along with all the other. Subscribe from April to October and you are paying a whole $14 (at the current price)!!! How much is one beer at BMO????

More to the point, it cheaper than MLSNET's own online pay-for-view program.

Parkdale
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM

dude.... you are arguing with nascar. step away from the computer.

Personally, I would love to see this done right, but I have a feeling it would take a few years to really gear up to a watchable level. Lot of people will balk in those early days. As for the content of this new channel, they really need to get away from the format set by LeafsTV and go for something more like Real Madrid TV used to do. I'm not sure if it's still on the air, but I was in central America a few years ago and it was the only channel I'd bother to watch.