PDA

View Full Version : Tyrone Marshall says no grass! and yes to practice facility

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Hot off the press!

I had a great chat with Tyrone last night at the pub, Tyrone is a champ!! Funny guy, party's hard, Just a funny, nice guy to be around period.

Tyrone said he hates the fieldturf ....I pressed him on the situation of getting grass at BMO and this is what he told me...

He said that he was told "recently" that BMO field will NOT be getting grass(i was devastated), but will be getting a world class practice facility with grass!!! When i asked him how come no grass at BMO field he said "the city(toronto i guess) keeps fucking it up"

So there you have it, from Tyrone himself...NO Grass, but they boys will be getting a world class practice facility with grass!!

Shaughno
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Pretty much what I had expected.

billyfly
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Sounds like the compromise that I feared.

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Hot off the press!

I had a great chat with Tyrone last night at the pub, Tyrone is a champ!! Funny guy, party's hard, picking up ladies left right and centre! Just a funny, nice guy to be around period.

Tyrone said he hates the fieldturf ....I pressed him on the situation of getting grass at BMO and this is what he told me...

He said that he was told "recently" that BMO field will NOT be getting grass(i was devastated), but will be getting a world class practice facility with grass!!! When i asked him how come no grass at BMO field he said "the city(toronto i guess) keeps fucking it up"

So there you have it, from Tyrone himself...NO Grass, but they boys will be getting a world class practice facility with grass!!
I rather like Tyrone, he seems like a cool guy. And hey, a grass practice facility is already a massive step forward. I really hope he's right. Maybe within ten years we'll have grass at BMO as well.

Did he tell you if it was happening this year?

DOMIN8R
11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Pretty much what I had expected.

Exactly. No surprise here.

Stouffville_RPB
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm all for grass, but what good is practicing on grass 4 or 5 days then going and playing on much faster turf? Do they really think a practice facility is would've changed Huckerby's mind? I don't see how practicing on grass would change the minds of any potential signings when they still play on turf.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Hot off the press!

I had a great chat with Tyrone last night at the pub, Tyrone is a champ!! Funny guy, party's hard, picking up ladies left right and centre! Just a funny, nice guy to be around period.

That's really stupid. Granted the grass practice pitch will A) help reduce whatever injury risk there is to players on the turf and B) will help us adjust to playing on grass at other venues, but it also means that playing on the turf for home matches will become as alien to our players as it is to visiting teams, and we'll suffer for that.

If this is a stepping stone to getting a separate turf pitch for community use elsewhere and grass laid down at BMO Field (because let's face it, it;' hard to do all that in one go) then it's great news. If it designed to be a permanent solution, then it's a half-arsed cock up.

FluSH
11-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Guys... let's try to keep detailed information about the players private... don't want X player to get in shit by the club... or his wife/girlfriend in this case lol

P.S. What pub was this?

tfc
11-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm all for grass, but what good is practicing on grass 4 or 5 days then going and playing on much faster turf? Do they really think a practice facility is would've changed Huckerby's mind? I don't see how practicing on grass would change the minds of any potential signings when they still play on turf.

really?! REALLY? You don't see how practicing 4-5 days a week on grass would change a signing's mind over practicing 4-5 days a week on turf AND playing games on it as well? I'm sure it will take a few weeks to get used to the transition, but I think this is a huge step.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Guys... let's try to keep detailed information about the players private... don't want X player to get in shit by the club... or his wife/girlfriend in this case lol

P.S. What pub was this?

QFT

I assume it was the pub crawl in mississauga last night - jack astor's - since tyrone was supposed to be there...

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
That's really stupid. Granted the grass practice pitch will A) help reduce whatever injury risk there is to players on the turf and B) will help us adjust to playing on grass at other venues, but it also means that playing on the turf for home matches will become as alien to our players as it is to visiting teams, and we'll suffer for that.

If this is a stepping stone to getting a separate turf pitch for community use elsewhere and grass laid down at BMO Field (because let's face it, it;' hard to do all that in one go) then it's great news. If it designed to be a permanent solution, then it's a half-arsed cock up.

Tyrone thinks its a great step in the right direction, Last night he was telling me that, when the grass practice facility comes online it will help immensely because it will take away at least 50-60% of the wear and tear on your knees.. Now i personally think that the wear and tear on your knees is still up for discussion, but at least he thinks it will help a lot, i guess that's all that matters...

Mrs. Workie
11-14-2008, 12:37 PM
He also gave L-Wag permission to rush the field, and pants one of the opposing players when they were taking a corner.

Mrs. Workie tells no lies!!!

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 12:38 PM

P.S. What pub was this?

True..good point, sorry about that...MODS please feel free to adjust thread accordingly....

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM

P.S. What pub was this?

Jack Astors -- Mississauga --- 403/dundas

Stouffville_RPB
11-14-2008, 12:45 PM
really?! REALLY? You don't see how practicing 4-5 days a week on grass would change a signing's mind over practicing 4-5 days a week on turf AND playing games on it as well? I'm sure it will take a few weeks to get used to the transition, but I think this is a huge step.

I think the player who are anti-turf will always be anti-turf. If they don't want to play on it and they have other options I don't see how this changes it. I would hope that it does but I just don't think it will.

Like someone suggested previously, if this is a step to set up the trainning facility and then next year lay grass at BMO, and it is presented to the player like that then maybe.

In general I believe that players that don't want to play on it don't want to play on it at all.

flatpicker
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I think we are left with only one option now...
Get another location for city rentals and save BMO Turf for TFC.
If we are stuck with FieldTurf then at least make sure it is good FieldTurf!!!

FluSH
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Jack Astors -- Mississauga --- 403/dundas

aaaah that makes sense... this was one of the pub crawls correct?

Damien
11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
One of the main reasons they had a good home record is because most other teams didn't practice on turf.... so getting a practice facility solves nothing.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
One of the main reasons they had a good home record is because most other teams didn't practice on turf.... so getting a practice facility solves nothing.

Not sure i read you?? Please explain...How does it solve "nothing"??

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Cant say im surprised, the city isnt going to budge on this for whatever reasons for a long while, i guess its a short term solution although im sure MLSE isnt totally concerned (im not an MLSE hater/leafs fan btw, its just not that important to them in the grand scheme of things TFC)

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Getting grass at BMO would change many many things.. The whole feel of the place would change..
Too bad it will not happen anytime soon

shwade
11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Not sure i read you?? Please explain...How does it solve "nothing"??

We won't have the advantage of being used to fieldturf when we play anymore.

invictusTFC
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I hate the fact that BMO will not be getting grass, but I'm happy that the players will not have to practice on the fieldturf anymore. It will go a long way to preventing injuries.

MUFC_Niagara
11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
when you consider that turf was the main reason for players not coming here, a grass practise facility makes sense. they play 1 game a week and train 5-6 days a week....do the math and figure out where they spend the most time...

as far as practising on grass and playing on plastic....world class players can get away with that...we just need the grass to bring in the quality...

onemanbarmyarmy
11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate the fact that BMO will not be getting grass, but I'm happy that the players will not have to practice on the fieldturf anymore. It will go a long way to preventing injuries.

It might actually cause the opposite effect. Practicing on one surface and playing on another can lead to strains, muscle injuries and joint damage, especially to older players whose bodies aren't as flexible as they used to be.

Kickit09
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
what a disapointment. remember when edu was sold there was all that talk about grass from the transfer fee. what a joke that turned out to be, just like everything else with MLSE. Toronto FC will NEVER be world class as long as they play at a city owned community field. and BMO field will NEVER be world class as long as its rented out like a whore. infact, more like BUSH LEAGUE! just think about that. our "professional" soccer team cant sign the players they want or make changes to the stadium because they play at a city owned community field. and this is a team owned by a corporation worth almost 2 BILLION dollars. how sad is that. MLSE is the joke of the sports world.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 01:33 PM
what a disapointment. remember when edu was sold there was all that talk about grass from the transfer fee. what a joke that turned out to be, just like everything else with MLSE. Toronto FC will NEVER be world class as long as they play at a city owned community field. and BMO field will NEVER be world class as long as its rented out like a whore. infact, more like BUSH LEAGUE! just think about that. our "professional" soccer team cant sign the players they want or make changes to the stadium because they play at a city owned community field. and this is a team owned by a corporation worth almost 2 BILLION dollars. how sad is that. MLSE is the joke of the sports world.

Keep in mind that many european powerhouses are in severe DEBT!! We are talking like 500 million dollars in DEBT!! would you rather have that??

I_AM_CANADIAN
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
UEFA are talking about banning the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea until they can resolve their massive debts or at least reduce them to a reasonable level. Better to know you'll always be financially secure than to gamble hundreds of millions.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
we wouldnt have the team if it wasnt for the city, its not a priority for the city to switch to grass and its something we will have to deal with for a while.
im happier with the turf than if we were sharing it with the argos up north.
get over your hatred for mlse, its not all their fault, the city has a big say in this

Steve
11-14-2008, 01:59 PM
It's a step in the right direction. I'm sure it will help convince people to come. Especially if it is as "world class" as he says, which I actually don't doubt considering MLSE do the off the field sports team thing well. I mean, anyone who plays in this league has to play on turf sometimes, to it's really the practice on turf that is the main issue.

Of course, I know that will reduce some of our home field advantage at BMO, but I'm sure Carver and Paul will come up with a plan to get the players on BMO at least once a week doing targetted drills to ensure they are familiar with the speed of passing/etc without risking their bodies too much.

rocker
11-14-2008, 02:28 PM
i don't think the reason TFC did well at home is cuz other teams can't handle fieldturf.
they did well at home cuz just about every team in MLS does better at home than on the road.
and New England had a worse record at home than ours, and they play on fieldturf. so fieldturf does not scare opposing teams or something.

but if you believe surface matters then practicing and playing on both types should help, right? it's not like players will suddenly forget in 5 days what fieldturf is like.

at least with the training facility they can move ahead with the project as soon as they find a site. the whole "grass in BMO" thing is much more complicated. might as well start working on a training facility now, which does not depend on getting grass at BMO. it can't hurt. even if they get grass, they can't practice on it every day anyways or it'll wear out, so the practice facility will be need.

Damien
11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
We won't have the advantage of being used to fieldturf when we play anymore.

Exactly.

TFCREDNWHITE
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
i don't think the reason TFC did well at home is cuz other teams can't handle fieldturf.
they did well at home cuz just about every team in MLS does better at home than on the road.
and New England had a worse record at home than ours, and they play on fieldturf. so fieldturf does not scare opposing teams or something.

but if you believe surface matters then practicing and playing on both types should help, right? it's not like players will suddenly forget in 5 days what fieldturf is like.

at least with the training facility they can move ahead with the project as soon as they find a site. the whole "grass in BMO" thing is much more complicated. might as well start working on a training facility now, which does not depend on getting grass at BMO. it can't hurt. even if they get grass, they can't practice on it every day anyways or it'll wear out, so the practice facility will be need.

Exactly! Bravo! Great point! Get started now, the rest will fall into place at some point...:):)

SEXYGREEKMALE
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM

P.S. What pub was this?
Especially with Tyrone, since he has a wife and 4 kids.

jloome
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Unless they practise on both. They do, after all, play on both throughout the league.

C'mon people, logic.

Cashcleaner
11-14-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not surprised by this development, but still very disappointed. Remember, BMO Field was to be a national soccer stadium as well as TFC's home, but how often is it going to get used by them if the players are constantly criticizing the turf?

Fishnicker
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Great info TFCRN'W!! Keep it coming

Last year we played 22 games on turf (19 at home, nyrb x2 and ner 1) 15 on grass, including friendlies and voyaguers cup.. I know all turf and grass fields are different but let's assume that turf is sufficiently similar and grass is sufficiently similar to say there are 2 types of playing surfaces to worry about.

Practising on grass should help us on the grass/road, which are a big chunk of our games - I felt that our touches were worse on grass than turf. And you could always sub in a turf day or two if it's a home game.

Plus the wear and tear favours practising on grass over turf.

But really, I'd like to know the location of said practice facility because it might betray loftier ambitions. (And "World Class" piqued my interest, although they may not have been Ty's exact words)

Let's say a kick ass grass field is built in a kick ass location, how long will it be before a few stands are built, and then a full fledged stadium, owned by MLSE? BMO can twist in the wind if that happens, and I wouldn't care.

How long and what is our committment to the lease?

Laurignano
11-14-2008, 07:05 PM
There goes our dp guys! lol

BakaGaijin
11-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not surprised by this development, but still very disappointed. Remember, BMO Field was to be a national soccer stadium as well as TFC's home, but how often is it going to get used by them if the players are constantly criticizing the turf?

I do not believe we will see MLSE's true intentions for the stadium until the Argo's have locked into their next 5 year lease agreement with Roger's Centre. The Argo's can opt out at the end of this year. Once they do not exercise that option.........I believe MLSE will start talking expansion and grass, etc.....

TorCanSoc
11-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Ooooo.... Argos to BMO. MLSE new GRASS stadium. Dare to dream. Argos at (a TFC'less) BMO, I'd start going to a few games again.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Not surprised grass is not an option...the city of Toronto makes money from the winter use of BMO, maybe if this use all of a sudden disappeared it might change some minds. If you want real grass at BMO do NOT use the facility in the winter,

adam1001
11-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Not surprised by this either, but at the last home game of the season I bumped into the mayor and he said that grass IS coming, just not necessarily for next season.

Not surprised grass is not an option...the city of Toronto makes money from the winter use of BMO, maybe if this use all of a sudden disappeared it might change some minds. If you want real grass at BMO do NOT use the facility in the winter,