Johnston will be the latest of the lame duck
GMs to make a living in Canada's most
demanding market.

Shaughno
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
So the search isn't on. Fantastic.

Roogsy
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
I can't stand how they call Toronto a demanding market. How about just a market that is dying for a winner at some point, any point?

Toronto fans in all sports loyally flock to support their teams and we get no reward for it. How is that demanding?

canadian_bhoy
11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
You have to question when this interview took place. I know the article is from today - but when did Anselmi bust out those quotes?

All the recent word coming from Mo and other people associated with the club indicate that they have a couple of players in sight and were looking for approval - now that they have approval, the DP should be signed by late Jan.

If these quotes are coming from Anselmi in the last day or two, then I think it's pretty dissapointing news.

Dave67
11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
He has the ability to make a recommendation? Every person with a ticket has the ability to make a recommendation. Does he have the green light to pull the trigger?

Fort York Redcoat
11-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Building a team takes years but they've had 2 and now should try building a team around someone.

rocker
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
anselmi is just telling agents -- through this journalist -- that TFC aren't desperate... and agents shouldn't expect TFC to just rubber stamp any agent's client.

Pigfynn
11-14-2008, 09:54 AM
anselmi is just telling agents -- through this journalist -- that TFC aren't desperate... and agents shouldn't expect TFC to just rubber stamp any agent's client.

Good point. I can see this as maybe just good business.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Doesnt build build great confidence from a supporters point of view tho.
That being said i dont have a hate on for MLSE and will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I think with all this DP speculation the only thing we can do is sit back and wait until there's a press conference unveiling one. Until that happens, and the player has signed a contract and is photographed in a TFC shirt with Carver grinning next to him, I'm going to take everything with a fistful of industrial salt.

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I can't stand how they call Toronto a demanding market. How about just a market that is dying for a winner at some point, any point?

Toronto fans in all sports loyally flock to support their teams and we get no reward for it. How is that demanding?

Toronto has to be the least demanding market in sports. Yes the spotlight is always on, but players and teams are always adored, and fans always show up for games in droves. You can suck for 40 years and still be everyone's favourite son, so don't tell me it's demanding.
Even when people start to hate guys like McCabe on radio shows, they still bend over for him in the streets.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Toronto has to be the least demanding market in sports. Yes the spotlight is always on, but players and teams are always adored, and fans always show up for games in droves. You can suck for 40 years and still be everyone's favourite son, so don't tell me it's demanding.
Even when people start to hate guys like McCabe on radio shows, they still bend over for him in the streets.

Well that may be true of puck bunnies and bouncy ball fans, but can you honestly see Cunny being given the love in the street by TFC fans before he left? I think not!

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
^^^Still, I think that people mistake being adored with being demanding.
First off, Cunny wouldn't be recognized by 95% of people on the street in Toronto.
If you compare TO to other markets where people don't know that a team exists, then sure, it's tough here. But compare it to other markets that have cared about their teams, and we're pussycats. Look at what Yankees fans do when they're pissed off with a player. Look at how Blackhawks fans left their building in droves. Ditto for teams in Boston. People vent about teams and athletes in Toronto, but then they still paint their faces and show up like idiots.
I'm telling you -- being an athlete in Toronto makes you a guaranteed celebrity, no mater how bad you are.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
^^ For hockey maybe, but you just pointed out yourself that TFC doesn't fall into that bracket, at least not yet.

Besides which, fans don't desert the team/stadium when things are going shit, plastic fuckers, soccer moms and corporate wankers do.

TORONTO TILL I DIE

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the TFC difference is what I mean to point out. Guys like Cunny don't get shit because people on the street don't even know who they are. How can TFC be considered demanding? You play in virtual anonymity except for the 15-20 thousand fans who show up at the games regardless of the outcome. Then, even if half or 3/4 of those fans hate you, what are the odds of hearing from them on the streets of a city of 4 million? Or on radio or TV, where the team gets next to no coverage? Easy place to play, IMO.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but the TFC difference is what I mean to point out. Guys like Cunny don't get shit because people on the street don't even know who they are. How can TFC be considered demanding? You play in virtual anonymity except for the 15-20 thousand fans who show up at the games regardless of the outcome. Then, even if half or 3/4 of those fans hate you, what are the odds of hearing from them on the streets of a city of 4 million? Or on radio or TV, where the team gets next to no coverage? Easy place to play, IMO.

BMO Field can be a right fucking cauldron. That's not an easy place to play. And if you play like crap, you get shpipped out, like Cunny was.

OneLoveOneEric
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
We'll agree to disagree on this one :)

trane
11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I get it, we will make a big deal that we approved the budged for a DP, as long as we do not go out and acctually look for one. Then when the season starts and we have no Striker we can, say we almost signed Del Piero, Henry and Drogba but things just did not work out. What can you do.

Beach_Red
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM

You could be right - agents are still going to use TFC (and other MLS clubs) as leverage to get better deals in Europe, just like Dickov did and how ever many other guys TFC "talked to" or even had for a trial. How many times were those trials just bullshit negotiating ploys by guys who never had any intention of signing here?

If you are right, I'm glad they're sending the message they're not desperate and don't want to be played for suckers all the time. At this point in the team's existence they've got to build the right reputation.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 11:44 AM
We'll agree to disagree on this one :)

Heh - I agree with you for other sports, but the TFC fan base, although much smaller, tends to follow the British model more than the namerican one, ie nomatter how bad things get the fans still turn up, but that doesn;t make playing for those sides an easy thing.

But yeah, if we disgaree on that, I agree about that too! :D

Shaughno
11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
It was visibly evident that the results were starting to take their toll on attendance last season. There were many times last season that the tickets were sold out, but the stadium had a max of 18k inside. It's still new, there's still that 'wow' factor because it's still new but if they continue to shit the bed, fans will drop off. They dont' have the same 40+ years of alliegence the Leafs do and if they don't produce, people will leave.

trane
11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
^ I have to honest it is a hard question for me as well. I want to be a loyal fan, and support the team no matter what but without relegation if we just keep on showing up there is no motivation for the MLSE to improve the product. So showing up blindly for ever can lead to little improvment on the pitch.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 12:15 PM
^ I have to honest it is a hard question for me as well. I want to be a loyal fan, and support the team no matter what but without relegation if we just keep on showing up there is no motivation for the MLSE to improve the product. So showing up blindly for ever can lead to little improvment on the pitch.

I think the answer to this lies more with people like Carver saying "get us what we need or I'm off" than the fans dropping off. TFC is only 2 years old. If the fans disappear now, then what incentive is there for MLSE to pump money into a sinking ship? None. Whereas if they know they have a solid and stable fan base no matter what, then they know that investment on improvement will not be wasted. Whereas if they lose top staff because of a lack of vision, then they know they're never going anywhere.

Besides which, protests during the game and outside the ground about changing the execs will be far more effective about getting something done on that front than just not turning up. If we keep the numbers up then as fans we maintain some kind of power. If we become scant in numbers, we lose all credibility and whatever influence we have.

So hang tight people. If we stick together we are a large voice, but apart we're nothing.

invictusTFC
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
I will wait it out until January or February before letting any DP related news affect my sleep...

ginkster88
11-14-2008, 03:33 PM
They dont' have the same 40+ years of alliegence the Leafs do and if they don't produce, people will leave.

... it's been 40+ years since our last cup, if that's what you mean. Many more years of alliegence.

If TFC can't get a DP under contract in time to promote him heavily for next season, I don't see attendance remaining consistenly high unless the team performs above their current ability. Hell, even with a DP if TFC can't get it together on the pitch I think we'll start to see more and more empty seats at the grounds. If we miss the playoffs for the next two years, I wouldn't be surprised to see average attendance drop to around 60-70 percent capacity, maybe even 50 percent, and stay there until they make a cup run.

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 03:41 PM
If TFC can't get a DP under contract in time to promote him heavily for next season, I don't see attendance remaining consistenly high unless the team performs above their current ability. Hell, even with a DP if TFC can't get it together on the pitch I think we'll start to see more and more empty seats at the grounds. If we miss the playoffs for the next two years, I wouldn't be surprised to see average attendance drop to around 60-70 percent capacity, maybe even 50 percent, and stay there until they make a cup run.

Season ticket renewals went at over 95% both last year and this year, and the waiting list is rumoured to be running towards 10,000 people now, despite the fact we've come bottom of the league and bottom of the Conference in our two season to date, broken the record for longest stretch of play without a goal and had huge barren spells in the middle of both seasons. If numbers were going to drop based on results alone then they would have done so after one of the two seasons to date. If anything, demand has gone up. If the fans aren't fickle now, there's no reason to assume they will be in the future either, snce they're essentially (at least 95%) exactly the same fans.

So with respect, I think you're way off the mark on that one.

Cashcleaner
11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
This article is not inspiring me in the slightest. Is MLSE going to give up on a DP search altogether and try to pass it off as sound financial judgement in the face of a global economic crisis? I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for that to happen - though we should be mindful that the club is still raking in the cash from 16,000+ season ticket holders who either renewed or bought their seats for the first time.

I would seriously hate to see that excuse getting used when Toronto is still the second highest-valued club in the league. The big question on my mind is when will we reach our breaking point as fans.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I would seriously hate to see that excuse getting used when Toronto is still the second highest-valued club in the league. The big question on my mind is when will we reach our breaking point as fans.

I agree with you, i dont think the 3rd year is that breaking point, however theyd better be looking and we'd better see an improvement from this past year on the field.
Gotta remember this is Mos last year of a 3 year contract, hes gonna wanna make an impact to get resigned and have the backing of the supporters

jloome
11-14-2008, 05:32 PM
For cryin' out loud people, context please!

He said "I wouldn't say the search is on...." and everyone flips out. But Mo and Carver have both already said they've already identified their three priority targets, so there's no reason to assume they're searching for anyone.

That, in all likelihood, is what he meant.

TorCanSoc
11-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I think there is some key information not being given out. They approved a DP for this year. But what's the budget? I'm pretty sure MLSE being MLSE is not going break the bank.

A DP can be $400,001 or $3.5million a year. Guess which one MLSE is going to lean toward.

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I think there is some key information not being given out. They approved a DP for this year. But what's the budget? I'm pretty sure MLSE being MLSE is not going break the bank.

A DP can be $400,001 or $3.5million a year. Guess which one MLSE is going to lean toward.

MLSE is going to lean toward the DP who gives them the greatest return on investment. That means winning hardware, and selling merchandise.

A $400,001 DP, in all likelihood, doesn't accomplish either of those goals.

I'm also confused by your "MLSE being MLSE" comment. MLSE isn't known as a cheap sports franchise owner. The Leafs routinely spend to the cap max (the exception being this season), and they have also spent a ton of money on Toronto FC.

There's a difference between incompetent and cheap - while MLSE is often regarded as an incompetent franchise owner, they certainly don't mind forking out cash for their clubs.

People need some perspective here. MLSE *WANTS* TFC to be successful, because that makes them more money. They get to charge premium prices for playoff tickets, and they get the increased fanbase that comes from league success. Same with the Leafs.

- Scott

bignickel
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM

you my friend, know very little about major sports in this city.

what's really going to happen is that mlse is going to spend 10 million on a d.p. and the guy is not going to produce to standards and then guys like you are going to bitch about it for the whole off-season complaining that mlse wastes their money.

begin the countdown....

Kickit09
11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
People need some perspective here. MLSE *WANTS* TFC to be successful, because that makes them more money. They get to charge premium prices for playoff tickets, and they get the increased fanbase that comes from league success. Same with the Leafs.

But the leafs havent won anything for over 40 years now and they still have the highest ticket prices in the NHL by far. so MLSE doesn't need TFC to be successful on the field in orded to charge us premium ticket prices. infact its only a matter of time before we have the highest ticket prices in MLS, and thats a guarentee no matter the performance on the field.

EDIT: i just looked it up and we already have the 2nd highest ticket prices in MLS, only LA has a higher average ticket price.

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
watch this http://www.goltv.ca/video/?channel=10
Mojo Unplugged Ep. 18

mo knows who the team needs

Ossington Mental Youth
11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
But the leafs havent won anything for over 40 years now and they still have the highest ticket prices in the NHL by far. so MLSE doesn't need TFC to be successful on the field in orded to charge us premium ticket prices. infact its only a matter of time before we have the highest ticket prices in MLS, and thats a guarentee no matter the performance on the field.

EDIT: i just looked it up and we already have the 2nd highest ticket prices in MLS, only LA has a higher average ticket price.

how long has MLSE owned the leafs?
for all of those 40 years?
The leafs have been mismanaged by a number of people
TFC is not the leafs.
It has not been 40 years.
Please get over that boring boring shit.

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2008, 02:05 PM

If a team doesn't make the playoffs, then they can't make revenue from playoff games. If a team isn't successful, then they aren't maximizing their merchandise sales either.

I will guarantee you that, if the Leafs or TFC win a championship, you will see a marked spike in merchandise sales, demand for tickets, and so on.

Bandwagon jumpers are a bigger segment of the sports-watching population than you may think.

- Scott

Kickit09
11-15-2008, 05:20 PM
TFC is not the leafs.

MLSE has owned the leafs since 1931 when it was MLGL. in 1998 MLGL was renamed MLSE. though there have been many dif owners/partners/share holders its been the same company since 1931... nothing boring about history, so please get over yourself.

Cambridge_Red
11-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Carver already stated they will do their best not to make many comments about possible players coming in.. I don't blame him it must have screwed with team morale..I'm hoping that they are pursuing some players though but I wont mind if its kept hush hush.

Shakes McQueen
11-15-2008, 05:53 PM
MLSE has owned the leafs since 1931 when it was MLGL. in 1998 MLGL was renamed MLSE. though there have been many dif owners/partners/share holders its been the same company since 1931... nothing boring about history, so please get over yourself.

Ballard was the majority owner of the Leafs from 1972, until his death in 1990. So yeah, while MLGL existed at the time, it was basically a synonym for "Harold Ballard".

You're being disingenuous at best.

The pension fund owned, incompetent bureaucracy we know as MLSE, didn't exist until 2003, when they purchased the Raptors and ACC. Larry Tanenbaum didn't become involved with MLGL, until 1996.

- Scott

nascarguy
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
TFC is not the leafs.
your right tfc is not the leafs because I'm giving the mls and the mlse a time line to smart up before I move on and so far both are doing good 3 years ago I only got tickets so that when the big name team were here I would have a ticket knowing that every game would be sold out. I did not know I would be spending over 3000$ a season on trips & banners and I say this if it was not for the rpb & all the supporter groups I would have supported the team as much as I do now.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2008, 12:40 AM

nice try.

Kickit09
11-16-2008, 10:01 AM
nice try.

yeah just like im wrong about leafs not winning anything for over 40 years and still having the highest ticket prices in the NHL, right. :rolleyes:

here, your gonna need these in april......every april

http://www.nerdata.com/images/collection/Tissues.jpg

Shakes McQueen
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
yeah just like im wrong about leafs not winning anything for over 40 years and still having the highest ticket prices in the NHL, right. :rolleyes:

here, your gonna need these in april......every april

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/955193b.jpg

Completely irrelevant.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Completely irrelevant.

- Scott

yep agreed, one thing does not lead to the other.
it might be added, Kickit09, that you seem to be the one thats crying about the situation

Cambridge_Red
11-16-2008, 12:56 PM
WTF get back on topic..

tfc
11-16-2008, 01:02 PM
re: kickit and nascar.

This argument gets brought up literally every week, and every week there is a discussion about how stupid of an argument it is. MLSE wants to make money, when you own a sports franchise, making money is connected to how your team performs. THEREFORE mlse wants their teams to perform.

Part of making money is managing a brand, and no owner wants their brand to be 'the team that makes money but sucks'. hence the leafs reorganization this year.

Further, I don't think mlse has ever shown they are cheap, so that comment doesn't make sense either.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
WTF get back on topic..

thank you, its been long overdue.
theres a billion other threads that this can be discussed in