PDA

View Full Version : Supporter's Shield?

Stencils
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Can someone explain to me what the Supporter's Shield award is? Is it an award for the best team support from fans?

If so, why does Columbus win it this year?

Also if so, why does the little video accompanying the award to Columbus have less than 5 seconds of footage of the actual fans in it?

Stouffville_RPB
11-13-2008, 11:00 AM
it goes the team with the most points at the end of the regular season. the winners of the league in any other league in the world.

Stencils
11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
it goes the team with the most points at the end of the regular season. the winners of the league in any other league in the world.

Thank you :)

ACSertL
11-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah, to my understanding it is called the Supporter's Cup as it was a way for the fans to recognize the "best team" in MLS. The trophy is donated by MLS fans if I am also not mistaken.

canadian_bhoy
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Also - the presentation is made at the supporters summit leading up to the MLS cup (which I think is dumb). The league recognized the trophy but does not adminster it. It is the duty of the supporters to transport the trophy from the previous champion to the new MLS cup site (to be presented to the new winner).

The trophy was a fan initiative and was paid for through fan donations.

ACSertL
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Also - the presentation is made at the supporters summit leading up to the MLS cup (which I think is dumb). The league recognized the trophy but does not adminster it. It is the duty of the supporters to transport the trophy from the previous champion to the new MLS cup site (to be presented to the new winner).

The trophy was a fan initiative and was paid for through fan donations.

Yeah, what CB said :)

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Just a point - stuff like this is not "news," so it should be posted in the "Toronto FC" section.

Wagner
11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
it's kind of ugly:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/Supporters_shield.jpg

we should lead the way in getting a new one...

http://www.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/community-shield.jpg

Stencils
11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Just a point - stuff like this is not "news," so it should be posted in the "Toronto FC" section.

I pondered which section actually. Since it wasn't exactly TFC related I just picked it for that reason. I didn't parse the descriptions properly though. You're right.

Admins please move the thread :)

Nazzer
11-13-2008, 11:19 AM

Just off of the top of my head I can think of countries such as Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras that determine their chamions though a playoff system, just like MLS. So unless you mean Europe by "the world" you are wrong.

Hitcho
11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Just off of the top of my head I can think of countries such as Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, El Salvador and Honduras that determine their chamions though a playoff system, just like MLS. So unless you mean Europe by "the world" you are wrong.

What he meant was any league worth recognising in the rest of the world :D:D:D

TFCREDNWHITE
11-13-2008, 11:46 AM

^^^^^^^^^AGREED!! :)

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Mexico's league is well respected.

C.Ronaldo
11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
i prefer the playoff system.

but i recognize the best team of the year should get something to, and that thing is FUGLY!