PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Thursday , Nov. 13

denime
11-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Positive 2008 lends TFC bright future
Encouraging progress sign that success may lay in Reds' future

TORONTO -- The goal for Toronto FC's sophomore season was, simply, progress. The team had no illusions of leaping from bottom-of-the-league expansion club to MLS Cup contender in the span of a year, but the plan was to keep adding roster depth, score more goals and be a more consistent threat game in and game out. By these standards, the 2008 season was a success for TFC, though that progress came with a price. The club looked so good at certain points of the season that the fact that the Reds didn't end up in the playoffs put a disappointing sheen on what was, on paper, a positive year.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081112&content_id=203378&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Five big questions for Toronto FC

TORONTO -- With the 2008 season in the rearview mirror, here are the answers to some of the biggest questions surrounding Toronto FC as the club prepares for 2009.

1) What does the team need to do to reach the playoffs next year?

TFC's best stretches (in the first two months and last month of the season) came when they had almost their full roster fit and available for selection. Toronto knows their Starting XI can compete with anyone, so now the challenge is to add the depth necessary to withstand the inevitable personnel losses to injuries and international competition. More consistency is also needed in road games --- TFC were just 3-11-1 away from BMO Field --- and on the scoresheet, as the Reds' 34 goals scored were the second-lowest total in the league.

2) What was the team's best moment?

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20081112&content_id=203374&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/) :noidea:

BuSaPuNk
11-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Morning D! Reading that year in review was quite depressing. :( Reliving all that was bad. Oh well they seem to play well down the strech and the begining of the year, they just need to get that game play to be more consistent. :drinking:

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Since a recent Sports Illustrated report – not denied by the league – that Beckham has an opt-out in his contract after next season, the exit clock has begun ticking.
That amounts to a public relations disaster for MLS. It was always clear that Beckham probably wouldn't play all five years of his (make believe) $250 million (all figures U.S.) deal. But it was assumed that he'd leave the Galaxy to get in on L.A.'s real business – the entertainment industry.
However, his wife's Hollywood ambitions have failed and his seem to be fizzling. That leaves him soccer to fall back on. And there is no good way to spin losing Beckham to a better league. It's a repudiation of the idea that MLS matters.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/534391

Poor Alan Rothenberg.
In the race to please the money men who commendably pump their millions of dollars into Major League Soccer, the league has seen fit to abandon its history and, at the same time, snub its founder.

Comments
You found the league only once, but it might need to be saved several times. Deep inside each fan that follows the league, there is an immense gratitude. Come to think of it, the policy initially hurt more than help, when they try to americanized the game. That was a step back at it foundation. They try to reinvent the game, with shootouts, clock issue, shirts colors and teams names, etc. Real fans got frustrated. The fundamentals of the game got changed. "Uncle Phil" saved it, and the league as a whole still needs to evolve.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/11/mls-trophy-snub.html

Taken aback by a bit of criticism directed its way in the Fabulous Forum (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/11/mls-trophy-snub.html), Major League Soccer has hastily pointed out that Alan Rothenberg in fact gave his blessing to the new trophy. "The first person we contacted was Alan," Commissioner Don Garber said at the time of the unveiling.* "Alan was very gracious and agreed with this concept."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/11/mls-says-rothen.html

The Kingpin
11-13-2008, 08:27 AM
(Office Alert)

The Cloudy Girl needs some support...

Now here is some sunshine: http://www.page3.com/index2.shtml#main-image

Stouffville_RPB
11-13-2008, 08:35 AM
poor sunshine girl didn't have a chance after yesterday.

Cashcleaner
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, I always assumed Beckham had an opt-out clause with his contract, so I'm not totally surprised if he does go back to Europe (perhaps Italy permanently - not just on loan). Would it really look that bad if he got up and packed his bags for overseas? Heck yeah.

But I don't think it would be a problem that the league wouldn't be able to find a solution to. There have to be contingency plans in place if this scenario were to play out.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Glad to see people are starting to address the fact that the moove may have had to do with Posh trying to go hollywood

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 08:46 AM
I will still be pissed if he goes to Milan. If he had done so before he came here (what was the rush?) We could have got a Beckham commited to ending his career here and someone to truly build the sport. With that said, I appreciate the buzz he created that had a part to play in Toronto's success wether we want to admit it or not.

The Kingpin
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I can't believe more people aren't incensed by the naming of the MLS Trophy. I'm not up on the niggly bits of MLS history, but I find this just another in a long line of appalling decisions by the league. Why not just create a Anschutz Player of the Year Shield or something of that ilk. Wow. Just wow.

I head Jack say in the Playstation video that he would be a TFC fan for life. Each day I'm wondering if that will actually be a reality...

JDG
11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
poor sunshine girl didn't have a chance after yesterday.

I think today's girl is fine. Not a jaw dropping, tent pitching stripperesque type, but a realistic representation of the sort of girl I'd smile at in the coffe shop.
I'm reall not a fan of the surgically enhanced, and having worked in film, I know what hair & makeup can accomplish.
Yesterday's Sunshine Girl would probably turn my head at the bar, but after taking a good look, I'd likely look away in disgust, and approach someone a little less desperate to get my attention.

Stouffville_RPB
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I think today's girl is fine. Not a jaw dropping, tent pitching stripperesque type, but a realistic representation of the sort of girl I'd smile at in the coffe shop.
I'm reall not a fan of the surgically enhanced, and having worked in film, I know what hair & makeup can accomplish.
Yesterday's Sunshine Girl would probably turn my head at the bar, but after taking a good look, I'd likely look away in disgust, and approach someone a little less desperate to get my attention.

touche

JDG
11-13-2008, 09:14 AM
touche

That wasn't meant as a criticism of your taste in particular. I'm just a bit tired of the comicbook superhero type bodies getting everyone worked up, and everyone that doesn't meet the comicbook standard is dissed.
You just happened to be that most convenient to quote. Lot's of guys say much the same thing.

Beach_Red
11-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I will still be pissed if he goes to Milan. If he had done so before he came here (what was the rush?) We could have got a Beckham commited to ending his career here and someone to truly build the sport. With that said, I appreciate the buzz he created that had a part to play in Toronto's success wether we want to admit it or not.

NASL had plenty of guys finish their careers here, it didn't help, it didn't build a thing.

Is losing Beckham really such a big deal? He was a sideshow at best, playing rarely on a team no one cares about. Sure, he got a lot of non-fans out to see some games and maybe some of them turned into fans. Maybe.

The league is still too young. It may have been around for a dozen years, but it's really only turning the first corner now. When there are 20 teams playing in proper stadiums, each with its own ownership, each signing contracts with its own players, each with solid ownership and good sponsors, then the league can compete for more players at a higher level.

If we can hang in there for 5 more years, this league will be great. It jumped on Beckham too soon, that's all. There was an opportunity and it took a chance, can't blame anybody for that. It's not a disaster and no one needs to 'spin' it.

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I think that the league's general direction of slow, cautious growth has been the correct one, although it may be getting to be time to be a little less cautious and make some moves to increase the salary cap, ease roster restrictions, etc.

Beckham's signing did increase interest in the league, and that has been all positive.

If he goes, the question could be raised of "should we scrap the DP rule?"

I think MLS should keep the rule. While it doesn't really greatly improve the on-the-pitch play (raising the cap would do that), it adds excitement to enable each team to add a "star" player. Anyone who doubts that should count the number of "DP" threads on this board.

However, I would make DP slots non-tradeable.

The Kingpin
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
That wasn't meant as a criticism of your taste in particular. I'm just a bit tired of the comicbook superhero type bodies getting everyone worked up, and everyone that doesn't meet the comicbook standard is dissed.
You just happened to be that most convenient to quote. Lot's of guys say much the same thing.

Aren't you the main contributor in the "Hot Chick" thread??? :D

flatpicker
11-13-2008, 10:19 AM
I can't believe more people aren't incensed by the naming of the MLS Trophy. I'm not up on the niggly bits of MLS history, but I find this just another in a long line of appalling decisions by the league. Why not just create a Anschutz Player of the Year Shield or something of that ilk. Wow. Just wow.

agreed...
I knew little about MLS history, but after reading the above articles, it really seems a shame that they would remove the Rothenberg name from the trophy. The league said they wanted to instill a sense of tradition. Well shaking things up like this is not the way to go about it. Shall we now change the name of the Stanley Cup to the Gretzky Cup because Lord Stanley is no longer as modernly attractive as Wayne is?

Beach_Red
11-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I think that the league's general direction of slow, cautious growth has been the correct one, although it may be getting to be time to be a little less cautious and make some moves to increase the salary cap, ease roster restrictions, etc.

Beckham's signing did increase interest in the league, and that has been all positive.

If he goes, the question could be raised of "should we scrap the DP rule?"

I think MLS should keep the rule. While it doesn't really greatly improve the on-the-pitch play (raising the cap would do that), it adds excitement to enable each team to add a "star" player. Anyone who doubts that should count the number of "DP" threads on this board.

However, I would make DP slots non-tradeable.

I think you're right, the cautious approach has been good but it's time to make some moves.

If you still want the DP, I'd like to see a time limit on it. Say, five years.

There should be an increase in the salary cap as soon as possible and then another one in five years and an elimination of the DP. Give everyone enough notice for contracts and so on and clearly show the direction the league wants to take.

Then we could have endless threads on the many players we're chasing with our $10 million cap.

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 10:32 AM
NASL had plenty of guys finish their careers here, it didn't help, it didn't build a thing.

Is losing Beckham really such a big deal? He was a sideshow at best, playing rarely on a team no one cares about. Sure, he got a lot of non-fans out to see some games and maybe some of them turned into fans. Maybe.

The league is still too young. It may have been around for a dozen years, but it's really only turning the first corner now. When there are 20 teams playing in proper stadiums, each with its own ownership, each signing contracts with its own players, each with solid ownership and good sponsors, then the league can compete for more players at a higher level.

If we can hang in there for 5 more years, this league will be great. It jumped on Beckham too soon, that's all. There was an opportunity and it took a chance, can't blame anybody for that. It's not a disaster and no one needs to 'spin' it.

Did I make that disaster impression? I think we're basically on the same page here. The DP rule should stay now that it's here. They shouldn't add another DP to the rules yet. They've made the league sparkly for newbs and that has it's upside too because there are new fans and they will stay. Not all of them but those weren't fans to begin with.

And please, the NASL comparison? I doubt with the benifit of watching him the last 2 seasons you'd say that getting Becks when he was done with Milan would've been that detrimental to his effort here.

JDG
11-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Aren't you the main contributor in the "Hot Chick" thread??? :D

I am, and you don't see me posting nameless caricatures of a woman. I post well known celebs with varying looks.
Sometimes, if someone replies with a positive comment about a woman, I'll look for more of her photos to share.
I don't just post what I think is hot. I post what I know others will think is hot as well.

Bluenose13
11-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I am, and you don't see me posting nameless caricatures of a woman. I post well known celebs with varying looks.
Sometimes, if someone replies with a positive comment about a woman, I'll look for more of her photos to share.
I don't just post what I think is hot. I post what I know others will think is hot as well.I love them all, I may love them in different ways but I love them all :D

Redcoe15
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I thought today's Sunshine girl is cute. She wasn't the knockout that yesterday's was, but waaaaay better than some of the dogs that have been presented recently.

bee dubya
11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought these lines from that "5 Questions" article were telling about TFC's plans for the offseason.

" The Reds would love to solve their CB problem from within, especially with a Canadian domestic player."
&
"Defensive breakdowns at crucial moments cost Toronto several games during the season, so some attention will have to be paid to the back line, particularly at center-back."

Looks like Harmse might be slotted into that CB role after all.

And is this the sort of player that TFC should take a risk at signing?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7726780.stm

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 12:13 PM

We don't need someone to disrupt our locker-room... so I'd pass.

I'd agree that Harmse looks slotted for CB. While disappointing as a MF, he seems fairly solid in back, so I feel good about starting him there. We'd still need to add someone in back to organize things. Velez, ideally should be cut.

flatpicker
11-13-2008, 12:17 PM

If TFC has some doctors that can perform brain surgery and remove the ultra-violent part, then sure... go for it!

Or perhaps some hypnosis will work?

Brainwashing?

Sonny Cheeba
11-13-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah man today's sunshine girl is cute. and just like JDG said about the coffee shop smiling at her deal.... i thought the same thing. she's the type of girl i'd say hi to somewhere.

don't get me wrong, yesterday's girl was slammin.

jloome
11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
We don't need someone to disrupt our locker-room... so I'd pass.

I'd agree that Harmse looks slotted for CB. While disappointing as a MF, he seems fairly solid in back, so I feel good about starting him there. We'd still need to add someone in back to organize things. Velez, ideally should be cut.

In five games, Harmse was directly responsible for three goals (one screen, one horrendous tackle, being undressed by Dane Richards). His positioning was great; his marking and tackling sucked big donkey ass. He is not the answer at the back, he's a backup defensive player who still seems too big a liability to start.

Roogsy
11-13-2008, 02:20 PM
In five games, Harmse was directly responsible for three goals (one screen, one horrendous tackle, being undressed by Dane Richards). His positioning was great; his marking and tackling sucked big donkey ass. He is not the answer at the back, he's a backup defensive player who still seems too big a liability to start.

I'd love to see you put that in an article! :rofl:

Cambridge_Red
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
SSG is decent, I would ;)

Harmse is a shit defender, sorry but he is. If you can't tackle, which he can't you shouldn't be playing in a defensive role.

Stouffville_RPB
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I thought today's Sunshine girl is cute. She wasn't the knockout that yesterday's was, but waaaaay better than some of the dogs that have been presented recently.

That is what I was thinking when I wrote my original comment. I didn't mean she was not good looking she just followed up a tough act.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-13-2008, 04:12 PM
At least "their" hers and not a set of airbags!!!

"Shoooooot NAKAAAA!!!"

jloome
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd love to see you put that in an article! :rofl:

Heheh, unemployment would follow shortly thereafter.