PDA

View Full Version : Hume signing would've been a mistake

jloome
11-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I like the kid and everything -- and that cheap shot was truly horrific -- but we're talking about a 1-goal-in-four-games striker throughout his career in the Coca Cola Championship, a league that's roughly only marginally better than MLS.

I would expect we'd be looking more for a natural predator, an Angel or Blanco type who can create goals from nothing. Does this potential selection worry anyone else or was Mo onto something?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
as a DP yes, possibly only because of the striker he is, we need a poacher, even one thats past his "best years" (a la Angel)

ensco
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I like the kid and everything -- and that cheap shot was truly horrific -- but we're talking about a 1-goal-in-four-games striker throughout his career in the Coca Cola Championship, a league that's roughly only marginally better than MLS.

I would expect we'd be looking more for a natural predator, an Angel or Blanco type who can create goals from nothing. Does this potential selection worry anyone else or was Mo onto something?

Hume's not a pure striker. He moves around a lot. He's been used mostly in midfield by Canada. Looking at goal totals is a mistake. He's a ball-winning, intimidating presence, and a terrific distributor.

The Championship has a lot of players like Hume - younger guys who, if they catch a break (either by standing out, or via team promotion), can make it to the premiership, and see their salary go from GBP 300-500K to GBP 1 MM+. Players like Hume would normally not come to MLS (or any secondary league) at this stage of their careers, as they're not willing to give up the EPL dream forever by doing so (unlike Dichio or Robinson, who knew they were finished at that level when they came over).

Hume can play for my team any day. Don't get me wrong, I'd take an Angel too, but this guy is no slouch.

zeelaw
11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
The thing is I think they are looking at using their DP slots differently.
They have seen what the big money signing can do.

Hume would make more then 250,000 or whatever, but not ridiculous amounts of money. It wouldn't throw off the balance and I think it would help build up the core of the team better.

Keyman
11-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Hume would rip apart this league in my opinion. Obviously, there are better candidates out there for our designated player, but he is just the type of player we need. He gives it his all for 90 minutes, he causes havoc for defenders with his tenacity, he has quite a bit of pace, and he is a good finisher. Hume would be a top striker in the MLS.

Would I have been ecstatic if he had been our DP? No, however he would have made a significant impact on our team. He also only has the potential to improve, and he would give us numerous years of production. I think Hume seems to get a bad rep in Canada.

jloome
11-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Hume would rip apart this league in my opinion. Obviously, there are better candidates out there for our designated player, but he is just the type of player we need. He gives it his all for 90 minutes, he causes havoc for defenders with his tenacity, he has quite a bit of pace, and he is a good finisher. Hume would be a top striker in the MLS.

Would I have been ecstatic if he had been our DP? No, however he would have made a significant impact on our team. He also only has the potential to improve, and he would give us numerous years of production. I think Hume seems to get a bad rep in Canada.

I think you misunderstand me, dude. I think he's a great player. But he's a hole player, an attacking centre forward, not a striker. WE need goals, not another guevara.

Cashcleaner
11-12-2008, 12:59 AM
While I sorta agree with what you're saying about Hume, I think you must understand that the CCC is miles ahead of MLS in terms of talent.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 04:30 AM
There could be a titch of homerism going on here... Though Hume has energy and talent, I don't really believe he would be a world beater in the MLS. As I said in a post lost somewhere else, Hume was just transferred from a relegated club to a club which will be battling relegation all season. I do like Hume's diligence and drive, but is he really worth the venerable DP status.

I guess I think of it this way, if we are looking at an impact DP and are considering total expendature, would it not make sense to go far and beyond the $400,000 cap allowance. Why spend let's say (example) $600,000 when you could spend 3MM and possibly garner a better player who also fits the bill of youth and energy. Also as has been mentioned Hume is not an out-and-out scorer, and this is what TFC desperately needs. I think a DP would have the most impact at the AMC and FC positions, I know these are Hume's positions, but will he make that level of impact. I'm a nationalist at heart, but I would like the team to succeed at all cost... Not a limited one. Just my thoughts anyway.

onemanbarmyarmy
11-12-2008, 08:00 AM
People might just be hung up on the "Canadian DP" statement.

ensco
11-12-2008, 08:16 AM
OK maybe there's been too many "trade everyone for DeRo" posts on here, but now I think there's been an over-reaction and there's way, way too much "let's not get over excited about Canadian players, I don't care where they come from" on this board.

1) We have roster limitations that make quality Canadian content valuable.
2) Getting quality internationals to come to live in Toronto/Canada is a challenge. You seriously think Del Piero would choose Toronto over NY?
3) I connect more to Canadian players. Same as most people in Canada

Keyman
11-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I think you misunderstand me, dude. I think he's a great player. But he's a hole player, an attacking centre forward, not a striker. WE need goals, not another guevara.

Yes, Hume may not usually be used and a "striker" all the time, but he's shown that he can continually put the ball in the back of the net. The fact that he is not an all out striker, only gives more value to his goals. I fully believe that if Hume were to be used as our primary striker, then he would have a very good strike rate. Hume has a very good shot, he's good off the ball and he is a good finisher. At the club level Hume has been used as a striker and he has found a great deal of success when he has been placed directly up front.

Now, do I think Hume is our best option? No, obviously not. He isn't a clinical finisher like Angel. However, Hume would have had enough of an impact here to be a DP worthy player in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.:)

olegunnar
11-12-2008, 08:34 AM
3) I connect more to Canadian players. Same as most people in Canada

The way he works his tail off and takes on all comers Hume would be a mini Dichio, in terms of a cult following.

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I just thought Hume was to young to give up on Europe.

Keegan
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM

Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS
Look at Robinson, Dichio, RICKETTS if you don't believe me, guys who were bench players (Dichio, Ricketts) or below average (Robinson) there

AND HUME ISN'T a striker!! Hasn't been for years! He was a striker at the end of the last year when he lit it up, but usually plays winger or attacking mid. I don't think Barnsley just spent their record transfer fee on a 0.25 goal/game striker.

Ever seen Hume play even? He scores crazy goals! I think he might have won goal of the season already with his unreal volley vs. Derby. So yes he does create something from nothing, all his goals are basically cracking goals. Set pieces, 25 yard volleys or just screamers from outside the area.

There is a reason he is so highly rated in the CCC (he isnt a 0.25 goal a game striker) more like a winger/attacking mid who scores cracking goals and can take penalties and free kicks.

Hitcho
11-12-2008, 10:39 AM

I agree that I'd like to see us sign a poacher type player, but the CCC is WAY ahead of MLS, by a big distance. The top teams in the CCC go up to the Premiership and often do fairly well by getting to mid table (look at Hull now, for example, and the likes of reading when they first went up). Plus the likes of Huckerby were totally washed up in the CCC and he set SJ on fire when he joined MLS. Ricketts couldn't even get signed by a CCC team, nevermind play for one, and he looks quite good in MLS.

If you watch any CCC games then you'll see that as a league, and certainly the top end of that league, it is light years ahead of MLS. It's not even close.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS
Look at Robinson, Dichio, RICKETTS if you don't believe me, guys who were bench players (Dichio, Ricketts) or below average (Robinson) there

AND HUME ISN'T a striker!! Hasn't been for years! He was a striker at the end of the last year when he lit it up, but usually plays winger or attacking mid. I don't think Barnsley just spent their record transfer fee on a 0.25 goal/game striker.

Ever seen Hume play even? He scores crazy goals! I think he might have won goal of the season already with his unreal volley vs. Derby. So yes he does create something from nothing, all his goals are basically cracking goals. Set pieces, 25 yard volleys or just screamers from outside the area.

There is a reason he is so highly rated in the CCC (he isnt a 0.25 goal a game striker) more like a winger/attacking mid who scores cracking goals and can take penalties and free kicks.

Why do his teams only fight relegation, and if he is a "cracking" as you suggest, my assumption is that he would be a level up or at least on a competitive club. I've watched him play numerous times and like his hustle, but your rosy Canadian glasses mute your points. If he was a highly rated as you suggest, I think teams of greater circumstance than Bransley would have come shopping when Leicester were relegated... Just a thought, I'm not a scout... Are you?? ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
People might just be hung up on the "Canadian DP" statement.

totally.
I highly doubt our dp, if we sign one, will be canadian
Mo has said hed 'like' one, we'd all 'like' one

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I have seen Hume play many times.. I am very upset that he got injured that just plain sucks..
But the facts are he would be no better then Chad barret
and look at the money Iain makes overseas 2.2 million dollar contract..

Hitcho
11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
What difference does it make if our Canadian contingent includes the DP or not? NONE!!!! We need a certain amount of Canucks on the roster under MLS rules, and we'd all like to see as many Canadians doing well at TFC as possible, but to limit yourself to a Canadian player in the DP search is pointless and highly limiting.

Bring Canadian players in for sure, but when you're looking for a DP it just isn't a consideration. All the DP has to be is the best possible player we can get at the club, it's that simple.

Keegan
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Why do his teams only fight relegation, and if he is a "cracking" as you suggest, my assumption is that he would be a level up or at least on a competitive club. I've watched him play numerous times and like his hustle, but your rosy Canadian glasses mute your points. If he was a highly rated as you suggest, I think teams of greater circumstance than Bransley would have come shopping when Leicester were relegated... Just a thought, I'm not a scout... Are you?? ;)

Wait... Barnsley, you mean that lowly team that Ricketts couldn't even play on?

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Wait... Barnsley, you mean that lowly team that Ricketts couldn't even play on?

Yes, that team. And Rickett's isn't "tearing up" the MLS. The discussion is Hume as a DP, not whether he has some talent. It has been acknowledged that he has low level Championship talent, is that enough to take up the DP slot?? That is the key question. But good try though... ;)

jloome
11-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Durrrr....

CCC >>>>> MLS

He was playing as a striker last year AND this year. And he started as striker. That's why I refer to him as a striker -- and his strike rate is not good.

You'll also notice if you read the entire thread that I put that poor strike rate down to the fact that naturally, he's a hole player (as he was at Tranmere and most of the time at Leicester.)

It's also simplistic -- and wrong -- to say that the CCC is way better than the MLS. The upper end teams are, the lower end teams aren't. As for Rohan Ricketts not getting a game there, he joined them injured and came in with three players fighting over his position. Beyond that, there are dozens of decent players in all four top leagues in England that "can't get a game" for no better reason that the gaffer doesn't like their attitude or they don't fit his tactical approach. It's hardly a strong condemnation or indicator of overall quality.

Jack
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
venerable DP status

I didn't know DP status was commanding respect because of its age or impressive dictionary. Step away from the thesaurus...
ven⋅er⋅a⋅ble

  http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/V00/V0067600)  /ˈvɛnhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngərhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) [ven-er-uh-buhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngl] –adjective 1. commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity; worthy of veneration or reverence, as because of high office or noble character: a venerable member of Congress. 2. a title for someone proclaimed by the Roman Catholic Church to have attained the first degree of sanctity or of an Anglican archdeacon. 3. (of places, buildings, etc.) hallowed by religious, historic, or other lofty associations: the venerable halls of the abbey. 4. impressive or interesting because of age, antique appearance, etc.: a venerable oak tree. 5. extremely old or obsolete; ancient: a venerable automobile. –noun

6. a venerable person.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't know DP status was commanding respect because of its age or impressive dictionary. Step away from the thesaurus...
ven⋅er⋅a⋅ble

  http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/V00/V0067600)  /ˈvɛnhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngərhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngbəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) [ven-er-uh-buhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngl] –adjective 1. commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity; worthy of veneration or reverence, as because of high office or noble character: a venerable member of Congress. 2. a title for someone proclaimed by the Roman Catholic Church to have attained the first degree of sanctity or of an Anglican archdeacon. 3. (of places, buildings, etc.) hallowed by religious, historic, or other lofty associations: the venerable halls of the abbey. 4. impressive or interesting because of age, antique appearance, etc.: a venerable oak tree. 5. extremely old or obsolete; ancient: a venerable automobile. –noun

6. a venerable person.

Jack.... It's not that fancy a word. Step away from the dictionary until you can comprehend that words have multiple connotations.... :D

Take 2. :drinking:

Jack
11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Jack.... It's not that fancy a word. Step away from the dictionary until you can comprehend that words have multiple connotations.... :D

Take 2. :drinking:

I'm well aware of what the word means. I'm also well aware that you used it in a context which, while it could apply if you decide to take the meaning of one of the sentences out of the definition, is not the context in which the term is generally used and makes you sound like a bit of a douche ;)

It doesn't impress people when you use fancy words out of context. Hence the advice to step away from the thesaurus and speak like a normal person.:drinking:

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm well aware of what the word means. I'm also well aware that you used it in a context which, while it could apply if you decide to take the meaning of one of the sentences out of the definition, is not the context in which the term is generally used and makes you sound like a bit of a douche ;)

It doesn't impress people when you use fancy words out of context. Hence the advice to step away from the thesaurus and speak like a normal person.:drinking:

Jack don't take this the wrong way .. You are not Barack Obama , you don't need to sound soo smart all the time and soo witty with all your comebacks ..
Kingpin knows how to roll .. You seem to react a bit more then proact..
chill out everybody loves you don't try to out do Kingpin its not becoming..

just my thoughts

Jack
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Jack don't take this the wrong way .. You are not Barack Obama , you don't need to sound soo smart all the time and soo witty with all your comebacks ..

just my thoughts

Sorry, I'm just giving my friend Patrick some friendly advice.

We do bust each others balls on occasion, as friends do. Pat needs to have his head deflated sometimes, or he can't fit through the door.

Not sure what you mean by "react a bit more than proact", to be honest.

Cambridge_Red
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM

boom!

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
This thread has turned into TEH LOLZ.

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
There could be a titch of homerism going on here...

someone was miming a scene from one of Homer's classic Greek Epics?

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Whilst I enjoy the joviality of said conversation.
The conjecture causes me to remain obdurate that colloquail tête-à-tête is the prudent progression for further conversing and banter.

Rudi
11-12-2008, 02:58 PM

just my thoughts
WTF??? :noidea:

Boris
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
:rofl:
i was in such shitty mood..im really starting to feel better... :rofl:

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Well my friend, I know these things don't always translate well on e-mail or message boards. But if you know me, as I think you do, you may realise that I was being a touch tongue in cheek with reference to suggesting a DP is venerable... You see I find the DP to be a pseudo throw back to the NASL and it's another Don Garberism (I know this is not a real word) that is part of the overall MLS miscarriage of justice to the game of "Soccer".

Now in reference to my "ego", have you seen that pimpesque fellow at the year end party? Now, that guy needs a pin prick in the cranium! :poke:

PS - tfcnorth7: I appreciate the words, but no worries. Jack and I are (were based on the calls I've been getting recently: none) old mates from the "early" days. Actually, at his first "Joe's" adventure ever he had to endure a very late night of drinking with me whilst watching me swear at women... ;)

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Well my friend, I know these things don't always translate well on e-mail or message boards. But if you know me, as I think you do, you may realise that I was being a touch tongue in cheek with reference to suggesting a DP is venerable... You see I find the DP to be a pseudo throw back to the NASL and it's another Don Garberism (I know this is not a real word) that is part of the overall MLS miscarriage of justice to the game of "Soccer".

Now in reference to my "ego", have you seen that pimpesque fellow at the year end party? Now, that guy needs a pin prick in the cranium! :poke:

PS - tfcnorth7: I appreciate the words, but no worries. Jack and I are old mates from the "early" days. Actually, at his first "Joe's" adventure ever he had to endure a very late night of drinking with me whilst watching me swear at women... ;)

You guys were having sex with each other?

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
someone was miming a scene from one of Homer's classic Greek Epics?

A bard would be crucified here for being an individual with a flamboyant vocabulary!!

Homerism: (Urban Dictionary) 1. homerism

What sports announcers have nowadays. Hawk Harrelson, for example. Dude is just a cheerleader instead of an actual broadcaster.

Duane Kuiper, a broadcaster for the Giants, shows that he sucks at this job because of his homerism.

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM

http://www.supertouchart.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/banksyauction4.jpg

JonO
11-12-2008, 03:06 PM
^^^ Wow - I think I underestimated your hate-on for Garber...

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:06 PM

You're my mate too... How does that make you feel?? :yum:

Rudi
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
^^^ Wow - I think I underestimated your hate-on for Garber...
Clearly Garber is the Devil incarnate.

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 03:08 PM
You're my mate too... How does that make you feel?? :yum:

:eek: I thought you moved to York, not San Fransisco

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Homerism: (Urban Dictionary) 1. homerism

come on.... you're sourcing Urban Dictionary?

how about trying a real one?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/ - The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Neither is bedonkeydonk.... But you know what that is!!!

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Off to get a few pint from the shop... Be back to take some BIG SWINGS!!! :)

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
:eek: I thought you moved to York, not San Fransisco

There are gay people everywhere now... :eek: :D

H Bomb
11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
BeDonkeyDonk? That's a clown riding a donkey right?

Boris
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM

jealous much?:noidea:

H Bomb
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1001

H Bomb
11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
or better yet

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1002

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:18 PM
BeDonkeyDonk? That's a clown riding a donkey right?

please leave your personal kinks out of this.

H Bomb
11-12-2008, 03:21 PM
...i thought that's what this thread was about

Jack talking about pat's 'Big head' and Pat talking about Donkeys, I'm pretty sure you mentioned wolves somewhere

Rudi
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Well it's painfully apparent that you have a massive ego for dressing up at a party where the invitees were encouraged to dress up!

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
To be fair - Even I knew what homerism was (although I probably wouldn't have used it in a post).

That being said the wearisome temperament of the exchange brings distress to my psyche. the gnashing your teeth supposition hence forth is trite with superfluous derision and lacks buoyant repartee

trane
11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Getting back to what this was about. I have always liked what I saw on the field from Hume. I have often tried to ascertain for myself the level of play in the MLS compared to Europe's second divisions, ( CCC and Serie B in particular) and I have to say that while I think that the idividual tallents at the bottom of these two leagues may not be far off from that in the MLS, team play (i.e team defense ) is miles ahead, therefore, while a player like Hume may be scoring only at a .25 % striker rate I would expect that he would score well above that on the porous MLS defenses.

I would love to see him signed, I do not think that they would ever sign him as the DP, it is simply not enough bang for the buck. I would also say this that if he were not Canadian I would not think that there was a chance in hell of signing a player of his age to come here. As other peopel pointed out he still has a chance of playing in the EPL, and it is ulikely that he would give it up. The Canada factor would play a big role.

Jack, che cazzo?

Boris
11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Well it's painfully apparent that you have a massive ego for dressing up at a party where the invitees were encouraged to dress up!

shit rudi...thank you..THANK you for clearing that up for me....i was about to look in a mirror and question my very existence :o

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:30 PM
thank you trane!!!

:topic:

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
To be fair - Even I knew what homerism was (although I probably wouldn't have used it in a post).

oh, and I would disagree with that meaning of 'Homerism'.

a 'Homerism' is clearly a quote from Homer Simpson. Something like Doh would count. If we're referencing Urban Dictionary, then popular usage trumps the original context.

trane
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
thank you trane!!!

:topic:

Sorry, did not seem to work. I tried.

TorontoFC_Matt
11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
this will get something back on track about Hume

MTQb1yUsNhs

sorry I am bored

trane
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM
I'll try, to get it back on track.

The rest of the MLS is shite if Hume can score in 5 to 10 in the CCC in a season, he should be able to score 20-30 here.

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

a 'Homerism' is clearly a quote from Homer Simpson. Something like Doh would count. If we're referencing Urban Dictionary, then popular usage trumps the original context.

A homerism is much differnt from showing homerism - unless you're insinuating that pat meant that people were showing their doh.

growing up calling someone a homer meant 2 things: 1) they cheered with biase for the home team 2) they were an idiot

Of course no one can forget the joyful episode where homer saved the town by stopping a nuclear meltdown which was later found out to be pure luck or "pulling a homer"

Also I should note: Parky, I'm pretty sure you could find a way to get into an argument on a deserted island.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM

It's a battle of sports vernacular vs. tekkie vernacular!!
:boxing:

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 03:41 PM
THIS THREAD SUCKSSS!!!

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/pictures/nerds.jpg

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Now fine sir, I did recognise that you were "pimped out", but Jack was wearing some fine pimp wear himself...

"You're so vane, you thought that post was about you..." ;)

Sing along now... :D

trane
11-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Quick paste from the Urban Dictionary;

homerism 18 up (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#), 17 down (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)http://www.urbandictionary.com/images/thumbsup.gif (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)http://www.urbandictionary.com/images/thumbsdown.gif (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)What sports announcers have nowadays. Hawk Harrelson, for example. Dude is just a cheerleader instead of an actual broadcaster.

Duane Kuiper, a broadcaster for the Giants, shows that he sucks at this job because of his homerism.
homer (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=homer) giants (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=giants) white sox (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=white+sox) biased (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biased) sucks (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sucks)
by UnderPressure (http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=UnderPressure) Sep 20, 2006 share this (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#) add comment (http://www.urbandictionary.com/comments.php?defid=1983582)

2. Homerism 10 up (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#), 11 down (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)http://www.urbandictionary.com/images/thumbsup.gif (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)http://www.urbandictionary.com/images/thumbsdown.gif (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Homerism#)A mispronounced word or common phrase used by Homer Simpson, quickly becoming staples of Americana.
Channel-mu’changer = TV Remote

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
THIS THREAD SUCKSSS!!!

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/misc/pictures/nerds.jpg

AND YOU'VE CONTRIBUTED!!!!

I still don't know how to imbed images.... DAMN!!

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homerism

no mention of the sports version at all. thanks trane

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Wikipedia!!??

Check here for either.... http://www.merriam-webster.com/
:cool:

trane
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=5732

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow - an epic battle between two people who always always have to get the last word in.

Will it be Kingpin or will it be Parkdale.

place bets at www.bet365.com/nerdbets

Parkdale
11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
He can have it. I stopped caring a while back.

trane
11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
So what is the defenition of Humerism then?

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM

I knew it!

Parkdale Wins!

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM

Last word... :drinking:

canadian_bhoy
11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Last word... :drinking:

Wow - kingpin wins the petty competition, I pulled the trigger too early by declairing parky the winner!

trane
11-12-2008, 04:15 PM
This is going to be one long off-season.

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow - kingpin wins the petty competition, I pulled the trigger too early by declairing parky the winner!

You were being such a homer... :D

Boris
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
This is going to be one long off-season.

youre a long off season

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
youre a long off season

Can you start a thread please... A counter really... I've already read 20-30 times in various threads that "this is going to be a long off season" (no they were not necessarily threads I have contributed in); can we create a counter?? Can we track this? ;)

trane
11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
youre a long off season

Whatever you say, pall.

trane
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Can you start a thread please... A counter really... I've already read 20-30 times in various threads that "this is going to be a long off season" (no they were not necessarily threads I have contributed in); can we create a counter?? Can we track this? ;)

This thread was supposed to be about Hume. No about fucking definitions. It has been not even a month since the last game, and yes it is going to be a long fucking off season. We did not get into shit like this untill January last year, and now it is not even mid November, and here we go arguing about shit. What the fuck? "You are an off season"?????

The Kingpin
11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
This thread was supposed to be about Hume. No about fucking definitions. It has been not even a month since the last game, and yes it is going to be a long fucking off season. We did not get into shit like this untill January last year, and now it is not even mid November, and here we go arguing about shit. What the fuck? "You are an off season"?????

Whoa... We were all just having a laugh. No worries trane. This was not in any way shape or form an argument, just a few mates kicking it about. Cheers!!

trane
11-12-2008, 05:48 PM
^ Sorry. It has been a long day. I am tiered.

Jack
11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Ha ha...sorry guys. I derailed the thread to bust Pat's balls.

Anyway, I do think Hume would do well in MLS.

I'm not sure he would tear it up, but he would do very well.

Roogsy
11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
boom!

Goes the dynamite!

W45DRy7M1no

trane
11-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Ha ha...sorry guys. I derailed the thread to bust Pat's balls.

Anyway, I do think Hume would do well in MLS.

I'm not sure he would tear it up, but he would do very well.

Agreed. Capo dei Capi.

Beach_Red
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Goes the dynamite!

W45DRy7M1no

That was too painful to watch. I mean, my stomach actually hurt watching that.

Keyman
11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
No matter what people think of Hume, I don't think we should be focusing on whether or not he should be a DP. We should be focusing on whether or not he will ever play again, and wish him the best of luck in his recovery. I suggest that anyone who is a Canadian soccer fan should send a card to Hume.

Here is the address:
Barnsley Football Club
Oakwelll Stadium
Grove Street
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
S71 1ET

Also a stamp is $1.60 from canada

jloome
11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry, I'm just giving my friend Patrick some friendly advice.

We do bust each others balls on occasion, as friends do. Pat needs to have his head deflated sometimes, or he can't fit through the door.

Not sure what you mean by "react a bit more than proact", to be honest.

Someone who is venerated is venerable, so why is the context wrong, other than the fact that it's not common usage? Sorry Jack, I'm missing your point here.

Jack
11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Someone who is venerated is venerable, so why is the context wrong, other than the fact that it's not common usage? Sorry Jack, I'm missing your point here.
Because venerable or the verb to venerate are generally used in religious sense or when dealing with elderly respected figures.

The main point of it was to bust Patrick's balls :)

jloome
11-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Because venerable or the verb to venerate are generally used in religious sense or when dealing with elderly respected figures.

The main point of it was to bust Patrick's balls :)

Heh heh, ok, that's pretty valid.

koryo
11-14-2008, 08:24 PM
There could be a titch of homerism going on here... Though Hume has energy and talent, I don't really believe he would be a world beater in the MLS.

That's just it. I'd take him in a minute, but not as a DP. He's not an out and out striker anyway. More of an attacking mid.

The Kingpin
11-15-2008, 01:35 AM
That's just it. I'd take him in a minute, but not as a DP. He's not an out and out striker anyway. More of an attacking mid.

That's just it, that is all I've been saying. Hume is an excellent player, and the style of player we need to inject some moxie into a club that seemed to lack that killer instinct during the "tough times". I think players such as Hume could really bring a furor to opponents and fans alike. But in conjunction with this, we also need that major talent in the finishing department... This would give me hope that I have to make a major trip back to Canada to watch some playoffs!