PDA

View Full Version : BMO Field Expansion

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Talking to the ticket rep who called me for the extra season ticket sales yesterday I asked if stadium expansion was in the pipeline and whether season ticket holders would be given priority if so. I was told it definitely was and we definitely would, although how it would work they had no idea (ie, first dibs on relcoation if you've already got the max no of season tickets, etc).

Now I know it was a ticket rep who A) may not know that much about it and B) have been known to spout shit, but I'm still encouraged that it's definitely being planned according to a source within the club, however thin the source may be.

JonO and I were discussing it and we reckon the beer garden and corporate glass fronted room will stay put because of the cost of moving the scoreboard and the loss of beer/corporate sales, plus the Carlsberg branding issues. So if it does happen, filling in the south end corners and/or a second tier on the south or east stands are the most likely options. I would hope for the corners to be filled and a second south end supporter tier to really maximise the fan noise.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had heard from within the club if expansion is seriously on the table?

MLSINTORONTO - FEEL FREE TO FILL US IN!!! :D:D:D

Stouffville_RPB
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Hope it happens...as long as real fans fill the extra seats. Not the people who go and sit on their ass for 90+ minutes.

Plus if they expand I might get off that damn waiting list. :D

flatpicker
11-11-2008, 01:57 PM
well, expansion is our best chance at getting the best supporters in more concentrated groups.
I hope it works out that way...

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Hope it happens...as long as real fans fill the extra seats. Not the people who go and sit on their ass for 90+ minutes.

Plus if they expand I might get off that damn waiting list. :D

I do hate this mentality ,... Real fans can go and enjoy the game in a seat ..
Its true:canada:

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
There is a place for everyone at BMO, and I think that eventually is what expansion will achieve. There are people who want to stand all game, and others who would rather sit and watch the game itself *cough* Parkdale *cough* :)

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
There is a place for everyone at BMO, and I think that eventually is what expansion will achieve.

Agreed. Once expansion has taken place the relocation process will become a more worthwhile exercise hopefully with the chance for some meaningful moving about of fans to where they'd like to be. At the moment the relocation thing is just too clogged up to be of any real use.

Anyone heard any inside info on when or how expansion might be achieved though?

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
This topic comes up every couple months on this message board because someone will post saying they have 'inside information' or something along those lines.

I file this away with all of the grass field talk. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I am not too worried about it.

Stouffville_RPB
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I do hate this mentality ,... Real fans can go and enjoy the game in a seat ..
Its true:canada:

I'm bitter because when I go to games I don't end up sitting in the south end (I haven't been able to get tickets there). When I do the chants the people around me at the games give me looks, like "what are you doing that for?", instead of joining in cuz they prefer a Blue Jays atmosphere.

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Expansion will happen but not for a couple of years yet...thats what TFC was saying anyways..

joel
11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
surrrrrrrre

spark
11-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I broke this story on my blog!!
rednationonline.blogspot.com

rocker
11-11-2008, 09:22 PM
i bet they'll wait to see what happens with the Pan Am games bid.. if Toronto gets it, they'll ask the gov for some $$$ to expand BMO.

arbogast
11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
i bet they'll wait to see what happens with the Pan Am games bid.. if Toronto gets it, they'll ask the gov for some $$$ to expand BMO.

Nice call.
I bet you are right since MLSE have mastered the disgusting art of corporate welfare.

Technorgasm
11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Gimme ROOF
Gimme GRASS
Gimme FANS SITTING ON THEIR ASS!

spark
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't know if anyone here goes by the stadium on a regular basis, but on Sunday I walked by and fenced in at the north end was about 2,500 stadium seats. No idea if that's for something else (ricoh?) but thought it was kinda weird. Sorry my last post seemed like shameless self promo but I have pics on my blog - rednationonline.blogspot.com

Hitcho
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't know if anyone here goes by the stadium on a regular basis, but on Sunday I walked by and fenced in at the north end was about 2,500 stadium seats. No idea if that's for something else (ricoh?) but thought it was kinda weird. Sorry my last post seemed like shameless self promo but I have pics on my blog - rednationonline.blogspot.com

Were they red?

Can't see stadium expansion going ahead without a big public annoucnement first, especially since BMO Field is half owned by the City of TO. Doubt there's anything in it.

stretchthetruth
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
maybe they were replacements for damaged/broken seats in the stadium?...

Suds
11-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Interesting. I just checked Ticketmaster to see if there are any planned events for BMO. Nothing listed at this stage.

JonO
11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Maybe they have to remove some seats for the bubble?

spark
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
They were grey seats which was weird and made no sense. But they were locked up in fences on the north end. If it was for ricoh why keep them there? unless it's a quick band-aid section? They looked like easy to assemble sections in groups of around 20 seats (3 rows, 6-8 long).

OneLoveOneEric
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
To soon for expansion.
Stadium has lots of empties for many games as it is.
Expansion too soon could herald the death of TFC enthusiasm as it is.

olegunnar
11-12-2008, 11:05 AM
They were grey seats which was weird and made no sense. But they were locked up in fences on the north end. If it was for ricoh why keep them there? unless it's a quick band-aid section? They looked like easy to assemble sections in groups of around 20 seats (3 rows, 6-8 long).

Royal winter fair shows.
Super dogs and horse shows etc.

Canary Canuck
11-12-2008, 11:09 AM
They're seats from the Ricoh that are temporarily taken out for the Royal Winter Fair. When they renovated the Ricoh they dug down to bring fans right to the boards for hockey games. This created a temporary botton bowl around the boards of about 5 extra rows. This bottom bowl however is removed for the Royal to create extra space for the show jumping competitions. So there's your answer. No BMO expansion.

spark
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Never been in ricoh - so that makes perfect sense!!
Should've bought the 5 tfc 5 marlies package! haha

Hitcho
11-12-2008, 11:32 AM
They're seats from the Ricoh that are temporarily taken out for the Royal Winter Fair. When they renovated the Ricoh they dug down to bring fans right to the boards for hockey games. This created a temporary botton bowl around the boards of about 5 extra rows. This bottom bowl however is removed for the Royal to create extra space for the show jumping competitions. So there's your answer. No BMO expansion.

Yet...

Suds
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM

does look like those seats ...

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/picweek/oct2206.jpg

giambac
11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Talking to the ticket rep who called me for the extra season ticket sales yesterday I asked if stadium expansion was in the pipeline and whether season ticket holders would be given priority if so. I was told it definitely was and we definitely would, although how it would work they had no idea (ie, first dibs on relcoation if you've already got the max no of season tickets, etc).

Now I know it was a ticket rep who A) may not know that much about it and B) have been known to spout shit, but I'm still encouraged that it's definitely being planned according to a source within the club, however thin the source may be.

JonO and I were discussing it and we reckon the beer garden and corporate glass fronted room will stay put because of the cost of moving the scoreboard and the loss of beer/corporate sales, plus the Carlsberg branding issues. So if it does happen, filling in the south end corners and/or a second tier on the south or east stands are the most likely options. I would hope for the corners to be filled and a second south end supporter tier to really maximise the fan noise.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had heard from within the club if expansion is seriously on the table?

MLSINTORONTO - FEEL FREE TO FILL US IN!!! :D:D:D

The city people are telling me that if expansion does happen they are looking at the 2011 season.

Hitcho
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM
The city people are telling me that if expansion does happen they are looking at the 2011 season.

And who are these "city people"? Difficult to give credence to a statement like that!

red_polka_dots
11-12-2008, 08:54 PM

You would probably see construction before the arrival of seats...

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
And who are these "city people"? Difficult to give credence to a statement like that!

I'm city people and I don't talk to him.:D

Hitcho
11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm city people and I don't talk to him.:D

:rofl:

greatwhitenorf
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Would the word of David Miller suffice? Told a group of us during August meeting that 5,000 seats are going in above the current east side stands. Wouldn't discuss grass.

Ergo. Hello Argos.

Hitcho
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Would the word of David Miller suffice? Told a group of us during August meeting that 5,000 seats are going in above the current east side stands. Wouldn't discuss grass.

Ergo. Hello Argos.

WTF??!! The most obvious place to put a second tier is the south end - there are people desperate to get into the supporter sections and some desperate to get out, so add a second tier, fill in the corners, centralise the noisy fans for maximum effect and let the soccer moms filter out in the next round of relocations.

They're going above the east stand BECAUSE MLSE CAN CHARGE MORE FUCKING MONEY FOR THE SEATS. Wankers.

I hope this isn't true, and I hope your conclusion about the Argos is wrong too. Don't MLS rules now require SSS? If so, isn't the Argo's thing dead and buried?

Cambridge_Red
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
East stand is bigger and can charge more than southend = more revenue, case closed.

Hitcho
11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
East stand is bigger and can charge more than southend = more revenue, case closed.

Agreed, and the south stand consists exclusively of the cheapest ticket bracket.

But that's exactly my point - they've put revenue streams before building the fan base and securing the stadium atmosphere to sustain fan attendance. What good is a second tier of expensive seats on the east side if it's half empty? Answer - not as good a full second tier on the south end which would ensure sufficient atmosphere to fill up an east stand expansion at a later date.

Put it this way - how many people on the waiting list are genuinely interested in dark grey seats (always last to sell out) and how many are interested in getting supporter section seats (always the first to sell out)?

If this Miller comment is right, then it's an utterly blinkered and short sighted approach. The seats won't sell out, the atmosphere will be more subdued taking the shine off the game day experience and it will haunt MLSE and the City for years to come. Avaristic pricks.

Cashcleaner
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm willing to bet that TFC is waiting for the marketing contract with Carlsberg to expire.

You see, once that contract is up, I think the beer garden will be a thing of the past and the new seats will spring up at the North End. They'll built seating up towards the video screen and that will be it for our first round of expansion.

At least, that's the scenario I would put money on.

Don't MLS rules now require SSS?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no. A thousand times NO! Sorry Hitcho, it's not you. Everyone seems to be under the impression its a league rule for SSS but it's not. Look at Seattle.

AL-MO
11-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Put it this way - how many people on the waiting list are genuinely interested in dark grey seats (always last to sell out) and how many are interested in getting supporter section seats (always the first to sell out)?

And how many people are going to the game to stand and watch the circus?

redcard
11-13-2008, 10:05 PM
the reason that everyone refers to the east stand for expansion is that in the original plans it allowed for the stadium to be expanded in the east...i believe in a previous thread someone stated that the footings were in place for a second tier only on the east...

Hitcho
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
the reason that everyone refers to the east stand for expansion is that in the original plans it allowed for the stadium to be expanded in the east...i believe in a previous thread someone stated that the footings were in place for a second tier only on the east...

Interesting, although annoying! :D

rocker
11-14-2008, 09:14 AM

i have never heard that.. where are these footings?

from looking at the aerial view of BMO, I think the east stand looks finished and that's that. it it flush with the outside boundaries of the stadium.
it seems that the most likely place for expansion would be the south end -- notice how the stand is set back from the fence and leaves room for another deck there... or they could add stands above the two uncovered private boxes, not to mention the north end to complete the lower bowl.
East stand seems unlikely to me... if they had planned expansion there, they wouldn't have made the low-angle larger east stand the way they did...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmofield1zv6.png

Hitcho
11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
i have never heard that.. where are these footings?

from looking at the aerial view of BMO, I think the east stand looks finished and that's that. it it flush with the outside boundaries of the stadium.
it seems that the most likely place for expansion would be the south end -- notice how the stand is set back from the fence and leaves room for another deck there... or they could add stands above the two uncovered private boxes, not to mention the north end to complete the lower bowl.
East stand seems unlikely to me... if they had planned expansion there, they wouldn't have made the low-angle larger east stand the way they did...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmofield1zv6.png

God bless you sir. This has really brigthened up my Friday morning, because looking at it, it's hard to see how you can be wrong on that.

Get that man a beer!