PDA

View Full Version : No interest in MLS playoffs.

SoccMan
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I find it puzzling that here in Toronto with the kind of attendance that TFC gets to their games that no MLS playoff games are televised on tv. We have three soccer specific tv stations, Gol TV, Setenta Sports, and Fox Sports World and not any of these stations is showing any of the MLS playoff games. This shows that apart from TFC, there is no onterest in MLS in general. However, i would argue that in order to sustain the interest that there is for TFC we need to grow the interest in the MLS in general. What better way to do this than by showing some MLS games on tv here in the Toronto area, exspecialy MLS playoff games. Could you imagine in the NBA once the Raptors were out of the playoffs not having any NBA playoff games on Toronto area tv. Well this is what is happening now here in the Toronto area with no playoff games shown on tv.

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Once TFC starts to make the play-offs on a reasonably consistent basis I think the MLS play-offs will become a fixture on tv here. But until then, it's a bit of a punt for the TV networks to show what might well be completely dead air in a primte time slot. Plus they probably have to pay for the rights in the first place with no expected return on that, which explains why there's not even a "re-live" or highlights package available.

Sonny Cheeba
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
the NY v RSL game coming up is supposed to be on FSC.

ESPN2 is showing the Chicago v Columbus game.... if you want this in canada you'd have to get a lot of people to email TSN.

MG42
11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm more concerned with getting every TFC game on a big network

Don Julio
11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
They should be on GolTV or something at least.

Hitcho
11-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm more concerned with getting every TFC game on a big network

Amen to that, and ideally in HD to boot. This CBC Bold thing is a load of wank.

celt-nick
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't know what the latest on this is but......

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081029.wspt_truths29/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment is pondering the expansion of its television holdings to include a soccer channel and perhaps a general-interest sports service modelled after MSG in New York.
Sources say MLSE has gone further than pondering the acquisition of a soccer channel. The company, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors as well as Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV, is in negotiations to acquire GolTV, a digital service that airs European and South American soccer programming.
Larry Tanenbaum, the chairman and 13-per-cent owner of MLSE, could not be reached for comment yesterday.
However, sources said the deal is close to completion.

RedsYNWA
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
HD NET showed the games in HD :)

Canadian Blue
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Even if the games were on TV I wouldn't watch them......I know this is odd but I honestly have no interest in the league as a whole.

OneLoveOneEric
11-12-2008, 09:54 AM
^^^^ 100% agreed with you there. Unbearable to watch as a neutral.
And I for one won't be too pleased if all TFC games wind up on GolTV. I do NOT want to have to pay for that channel and Ray Hudson's commentary-with-a-thesaurus whenever I want to see a TFC away game.

Shaughno
11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Sign me under that list as well. When TFC isn't involved, I don't particularily care what goes on.

C.Ronaldo
11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
its sad to say.......but when I watch some of these teams, they look like they could destroy Toronto.

Yet, Toronto wins some games.

Which bring me to think, that the league isnt that bad, it just doesn't have consistency.

At least the highlight goals are a major improvement from the usual bounce ins of this league.

tfc
11-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I wonder how much of it is stations not having an interest in the playoffs because TFC isn't playing, and how much is nobody caring because playoffs aren't usually done in soccer? Stupid playoffs, what a waste of time. They could add another 5-10 games at the end of the schedule and book more time off for international dates if they didn't have them.

Kenny/Boozemaster/Lenny/togetherness/Roc le Roc
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I am guessing that even the hardcore TFC fans could really give a shit about the MLS playoffs ..

Its just not that interesting, no hype no fun no nuttin

Bobo
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I think I speak for most people when I say I don't watch MLS because I want to be enthralled by skill. There are other leagues for that. I watch for TFC, so when they aren't playing, then fuck the MLS, its bush. I curse the league enough when TFC IS playing.

Fort York Redcoat
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I wonder how much of it is stations not having an interest in the playoffs because TFC isn't playing, and how much is nobody caring because playoffs aren't usually done in soccer? Stupid playoffs, what a waste of time. They could add another 5-10 games at the end of the schedule and book more time off for international dates if they didn't have them.

QFT brother...

Afra
11-12-2008, 06:02 PM
Without TFC, I will watch EPL or Ss A for entertainment. However, I try to keep track just to see what TFC is up against and going to have to look like in order to compete for the MLS cup. For pure soccer value, no. Simply for a gauge. . .

Bloor West FC
11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
I watch other games without TFC playing, but only very minimum. It is just not exciting especially when you have 5000 fans for a playoff game in the stands. I like to see good quality footy as much as anybody else here. But also the singing from the fans makes it so much more better and EPL games are very exciting to watch.

I dont think TFC games bring in a lot of viewers, and I can't imagine other teams will excite the media to bring in playoff games. It wont happen!!

BC101
11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Even if the games were on TV I wouldn't watch them......I know this is odd but I honestly have no interest in the league as a whole.

^^^^ 100% agreed with you there. Unbearable to watch as a neutral.
And I for one won't be too pleased if all TFC games wind up on GolTV. I do NOT want to have to pay for that channel and Ray Hudson's commentary-with-a-thesaurus whenever I want to see a TFC away game.

Sign me under that list as well. When TFC isn't involved, I don't particularily care what goes on.
:hump: co signed.

Blazer
11-12-2008, 06:27 PM

Well that’s because it’s a shit league. We love TFC but let’s be honest, there’s more inspiring football on TV right now and until the lads are a part of the MLS playoffs – the bulk of us are not watching.

TFC_Toon
11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree with much of what is being said about the quality of the football, but I think the original post is valid. It boggles the mind that MLS matches, playoffs or regular season just don't seem to be available locally. I have GOL, Setanta, FSW and of course Sportsnet and TSN, yet no coverage. Can't see me spending anymore on the likes of CBC Bold and such, just doesn't make sense to me.

eustacchio
11-12-2008, 06:53 PM
I was in Mexico last week and I know that I could have watched at least three of the games...

...if I was really that interested
...and if I wasn't in Mexico

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I find it puzzling that here in Toronto with the kind of attendance that TFC gets to their games that no MLS playoff games are televised on tv. We have three soccer specific tv stations, Gol TV, Setenta Sports, and Fox Sports World and not any of these stations is showing any of the MLS playoff games. This shows that apart from TFC, there is no onterest in MLS in general. However, i would argue that in order to sustain the interest that there is for TFC we need to grow the interest in the MLS in general. What better way to do this than by showing some MLS games on tv here in the Toronto area, exspecialy MLS playoff games. Could you imagine in the NBA once the Raptors were out of the playoffs not having any NBA playoff games on Toronto area tv. Well this is what is happening now here in the Toronto area with no playoff games shown on tv.

CBC has the MLS rights here in Canada, and they don't want to share it other then with sportsnet or the score..Write to CBC why they are not showing any playoffs cause im tired of writing the idiots. the say they will show the final...big deal ABC is also showing it.

TFC Cityboy
11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah...bollocks to it...no TFC no interest. Never watched a MLS game pre TFC and with the NY Fizzy drinks, the Fake Lake, KK Krew and Shitcago in the last 4, who gives a shit?

mighty_torontofc_2008
11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
you need the league to have a TFC!!!

Keyman
11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
The sad thing is...

If there's never any interest, there will never be any growth. People may have to deal with a shit product for a while in order for there to be any sort of development.

Pachuco
11-12-2008, 11:33 PM
The MLS playoffs already started?

Nestease
11-13-2008, 12:21 AM
It's unbearable watching TFC away games as is, let alone replace them with another city.

Roogsy
11-13-2008, 12:32 AM
The sad thing is...

If there's never any interest, there will never be any growth. People may have to deal with a shit product for a while in order for there to be any sort of development.

Agreed. The comments in this thread sadden me.

If the games were on TV, I'd watch, if only to familiarize myself with teams Toronto face...not to mention...I thought we were fans of the game? Yeah, I'd rather watch a higher level of soccer, so I do watch the EPL and La Liga. But how does watching those leagues inhibit me from watching my own? We aren't even in the same timezone?

The attitude in this thread is no better than the friends I have that refuse to watch TFC itself because of their eliteist European attitude. "I will only watch Serie A, it's the only real soccer being played". I see no difference between that attitude and what I have just read here.

The only games I have managed to catch here are the two KC/Columbus games on HDNet and I watched them. If the league doesn't get our support, supporters of one of the teams IN that league, it will never grow beyond a secondary, never-was league. There will BE no development. And people will never see better soccer in their own backyard, and it will be their own fault. Not the leagues. Not the ownerships. It will all fan on the North American soccer fan.

Cashcleaner
11-13-2008, 12:35 AM
I'll start watching other MLS teams play against each other when the league starts letting me take it seriously as a pro sports organisation. Right now, they aren't giving me a lot to care about - Toronto FC being the obvious exception. I actually find myself watching USL and some of the CONCACAF games now and then, but not usually MLS.

Roogsy
11-13-2008, 12:40 AM
^ Then why do you keep putting down Toronto "hockey fans"? What's different between choosing to ignore what you perceive to be a lower class league and Toronto fans that choose to concentrate on the NHL and ignore the other "Professional" leagues in Southern Ontario? You keep saying Toronto Leaf fans are not "hockey" fans. Does that not mean you aren't a "soccer" fan?

To me a fan of the sport is a fan of the sport.

tfc
11-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Toronto ML fans are the best fans in hockey, despite what everyone on the board says. Most people here get pissed because the Leafs have sucked, but love it when soccer teams have support teams even though they haven't won titles. It is ridiculous. And look at the Leafs now, they suck (its even self-proclaimed), and everyone still loves them. THAT is support.

I wish TFC has support like that for years to come, through shit times, and great times.

Brooker
11-13-2008, 04:42 AM
i'd love to watch the MLS Playoffs...but with basic cable I haven't even seen as much as it advertised.... even on the highlight shows they show nothing. i don't even know whats going on right now. i know Houston fucked up but thats about it.

if these games were on Sportsnet or TheScore i'd definatly watch a lot of them. Dunno why some people in this thread laugh at the idea of that.

oh well.

OneLoveOneEric
11-13-2008, 07:07 AM
^ Then why do you keep putting down Toronto "hockey fans"? What's different between choosing to ignore what you perceive to be a lower class league and Toronto fans that choose to concentrate on the NHL and ignore the other "Professional" leagues in Southern Ontario? You keep saying Toronto Leaf fans are not "hockey" fans. Does that not mean you aren't a "soccer" fan?

I disagree. I love baseball, but you won't find me tuning in to the Little League World Series.
It has nothing to do with what I love about baseball. Same goes for MLS playoffs and soccer.

Cashcleaner
11-13-2008, 07:47 AM

You obviously haven't been paying attention to a lot of my posts. I put down so many Toronto hockey fans because they are not fans of the sport - just their team. If they were all "hockey" fans, Toronto would at least have a functioning OHL team and more than 3000 showing up to watch the Marlies play. Ya see, I'm the sort of guy that likes to catch some up-and-comers playing with the Generals or over at the university with UOIT. Good times.

And that applies to soccer as well.

You see, it's far more enjoyable for me to watch the Ridgebacks play live in the CIS or catch a local indoor game than it is to get pumped up for Salt Lake City v. DC United or Columbus v. Chivas.

Like you said, its about being a fan of the sport.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-13-2008, 08:01 AM
last season...CBC CC...now BOLD! had the enitre MLS PLAYOFFS...i guess after the ratings..they decided not to show it this year!

BuSaPuNk
11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Looking at the results in the paper and watching the highlights on FOX SPORTS WORLD is good enough for me thanks. Couldn't care less if it isn't TFC.

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 09:07 AM

If the games were on TV, I'd watch, if only to familiarize myself with teams Toronto face...not to mention...I thought we were fans of the game? Yeah, I'd rather watch a higher level of soccer, so I do watch the EPL and La Liga. But how does watching those leagues inhibit me from watching my own? We aren't even in the same timezone?

The attitude in this thread is no better than the friends I have that refuse to watch TFC itself because of their eliteist European attitude. "I will only watch Serie A, it's the only real soccer being played". I see no difference between that attitude and what I have just read here.

The only games I have managed to catch here are the two KC/Columbus games on HDNet and I watched them. If the league doesn't get our support, supporters of one of the teams IN that league, it will never grow beyond a secondary, never-was league. There will BE no development. And people will never see better soccer in their own backyard, and it will be their own fault. Not the leagues. Not the ownerships. It will all fan on the North American soccer fan.

I'm glad you enjoy the league that much. I've enjoyed watching TFC compete but TFC comes first. I'm not going to tell you of all people how to support the sport but I support one club in this league. Once they're gone I move on. This isn't sport specific even. I personally can't invest any interest in playoffs between two teams i don't care about.

Back to the playoffs debate. As always default to hockey:

Leafs are out, who are you following? The Canadian teams. They're out? The team with the most Canadians on it. WTF? At this point you've watched close to 100 games already. How much do you care when they pass the cup to the ONE Canadian left?

I want the sport, the league to grow but my responsibility ends with the team I chose IMO.

brad
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
You also have to take into account that these are Canada wide stations, not Toronto specific ones.

Once you leave the GTA and surrounding areas, very few people care about TFC, let alone the MLS.

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
And heaven forbid some idiot chooses an American team as their own because they are closest to them.

Canadian Blue
11-13-2008, 09:30 AM

A little over dramatic here mate. A few fans of a team not in the playoffs not watching the playoffs will not destroy the MLS or doom it to eternal mediocrity. I am 100% certain that if TFC were in the playoffs MLS would have its highest ratings of all time. I see nothing wrong with fans not wanting to watch games that their team is not playing in, in fact I don't do this for any other sport. Anyway my point is that is is not the fans of Toronto FC responsibility to carry this league.

trane
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
For me it is simple, I am a TFC supporter, not an MLS fan. I think that many feel the same. Outside of TFC, and how the MLS affects TFC I have very little interest. I either hate the other clubs, or do not give a fuck.

vergilg
11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
It's pathetic how SportsNet shows RADIO programs (TAPED ones at that!) on their channel, and we still can't get soccer regularly on there except for Soccer Saturdays.

trane
11-13-2008, 10:02 AM

Roogsy,

I understand your sentiment. I love the game, and outside of TFC I mostly watch Serie A and EPL, however, I also watch anything else that I can see from Budesliga to the Impact. However, I have to be honest the level and style of play in the MLS I simply do not like. It bores me and frustrates me too watch. I would honeslty rather watch the SPL or CCC. THe MLS product simply does not interest me, it is not because I am elisits, I even watch CSL games when they are on, I like footy for its team apects and strategy and the MLS is severly lacking in both.

Stencils
11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
I watched plenty of non-TFC mls games this season (on the online web-stream subscription I paid for) for the same reason I'll watch non-Birmingham City premiership or CCC games. Because what happens to other teams affects my team, be they points, injuries, what have you.

I like watching soccer. I won't lie that I have less interest if the game doesn't directly affect a team I like (a bundesliga game for example), but even then you can watch with an eye like a pretend 'scout' for your team, sizing up players that might be possible acquisitions.

And teams don't have to be top-flight for the games themselves to be exciting. There's a lot to be said for watching two gritty teams throw their muscle at each other when neither one can accept losing. I've seen plenty of premiership games that were bore-fests.

ACSertL
11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I think I fall into the category that would watch it if it was televised but really wouldn't give a toss about the results mainly because footy is footy. Its not causing me any loss of sleep that I don't get to see the playoff matches but I might watch them if they were on.

Roogsy
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm glad you enjoy the league that much. I've enjoyed watching TFC compete but TFC comes first. I'm not going to tell you of all people how to support the sport but I support one club in this league. Once they're gone I move on. This isn't sport specific even. I personally can't invest any interest in playoffs between two teams i don't care about.

Back to the playoffs debate. As always default to hockey:

Leafs are out, who are you following? The Canadian teams. They're out? The team with the most Canadians on it. WTF? At this point you've watched close to 100 games already. How much do you care when they pass the cup to the ONE Canadian left?

I want the sport, the league to grow but my responsibility ends with the team I chose IMO.

I can understand this point of view, and to a degree I myself follow it.

It's not like I'd watch every single MLS playoff game if it was televised. But I sure would be interested in watching some of the intense rivalries or top-rated teams play. After all, I watch many EPL and Liga games that don't involve the teams that I root for. Why not then in MLS?

Surely as TFC fans we aren't going to fall on the "it's a subpar league" argument because the next must-have question is, "why then even follow TFC at all?"

trane
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
^ I follow because it is our team. It is our cities Football team, I want to see football in the city and hence I follow the team. I also follow CSL, as much as I can, for similar reasons. The reason that I do not watch the MLS is not becasue it is subpar, I do not expect top flight football, but because the play is mostly uninteresting to me, due to the type of play I like.

Oldtimer
11-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Surely as TFC fans we aren't going to fall on the "it's a subpar league" argument because the next must-have question is, "why then even follow TFC at all?"

because it's ours! :D

We deserve an EPL team, however MLS and TFC is what we got. So that's what we follow.

More seriously, I followed MLS for a couple of years before TFC was formed. DCU was the club I liked, and the Bara Brava were to me a good example of support in North America. I still follow some MLS games that TFC is not playing in. Some matches are awful, some are boring, but there are some very exciting games in there.

The MLS playoffs I'd compare to the CCC playoffs for third place (the teams for places 3-6 play off for promotion to the EPL, the top two get in automatically). MLS and 3-6 CCC have physical, athletic, and sometimes very exciting footie, and the 3-6 places in the CCC are about at the same level as the top 8 in MLS. :) (TFC this last year was more like League 1, unfortunately :( ).

Blazer
11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Humans by nature want to watch/ be a part of the best possible product available – sport or not, simple as that. While some have no choice but to settle for second or third best (perhaps because it is beyond their control to move up to the best) switching to EPL, Serie A, or La Liga is a mere click of the remote away and is well within everyone’s capability. It’s more about wanting to watch the best soccer than it is showing elitist attitudes or bashing MLS. If I were elitist, I would be watching MLS because I have no affiliation with European soccer. I just want to watch the best soccer available to me.

I also prefer watching women’s hockey versus pee-wee again for no other reason than it might be the only hockey on the tube and happens to be a better pace and brand of hockey. It’s really quite simple.

Toronto_Bhoy
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Watching the playoffs gives me an opportunity to learn a little more about a league I know relatively nothing about.

The MLS is what it is…personally, I don't think it's even close to the CCC but it's fun to watch live footy in this market with the environment we have created at BMO.

If Toronto didn't have a franchise in the MLS I probably wouldn't be as interested. But in order for me to become a more informative TFC supporter I make an honest attempt to watch the playoffs…no other reason.

tfcleeds
11-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Another person here who wouldn't necessarily watch the MLS playoffs even if they were made more accessible on TV. And it has nothing to do with MLS being inferior in quality, etc., I love soccer at any level - I just have no vested interest in the result, so I don't watch (having said that, I hope RSL win).

As a Leeds supporter, I'd honestly have to say I've lost a lot of interest in the EPL over the last couple of years. Do I still watch EPL? Yes, occasionally if there is a game which interests me. But the results just don't matter to me as much any more. I'm less inclined to head to my local footy bar at 7:00 in the morning when my team isn't involved, and the results of the teams that are playing don't affect my team. I'm more concerned with how Scunthorpe are doing at the moment than Arsenal. Doesn't mean I'm not a soccer fan, though.

trane
11-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Watching the playoffs gives me an opportunity to learn a little more about a league I know relatively nothing about.

The MLS is what it is…personally, I don't think it's even close to the CCC but it's fun to watch live footy in this market with the environment we have created at BMO.

If Toronto didn't have a franchise in the MLS I probably wouldn't be as interested. But in order for me to become a more informative TFC supporter I make an honest attempt to watch the playoffs…no other reason.

I am with you there. You are probably right. If it was on I would probably end up watching for the same reason, as someone said as a scouting exercise

olegunnar
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
If they can barely get 40,000 Canadians to watch a TFC game, how many people do you think they'd get to watch KC vs Columbus?
Enough to be economically viable? Don't think so.

Fort York Redcoat
11-13-2008, 01:28 PM

It's not like I'd watch every single MLS playoff game if it was televised. But I sure would be interested in watching some of the intense rivalries or top-rated teams play. After all, I watch many EPL and Liga games that don't involve the teams that I root for. Why not then in MLS?

Hear hear! If Toronto's place were traded with Montreal or Vancouver I would only watch the USL until they went out or won it all. And bless you for calling matchups in the MLS rivalries. They are but it looks funny next to older leagues and their derbys.

MUFC_Niagara
11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll start watching other MLS teams play against each other when the league starts letting me take it seriously as a pro sports organisation. Right now, they aren't giving me a lot to care about - Toronto FC being the obvious exception. I actually find myself watching USL and some of the CONCACAF games now and then, but not usually MLS.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate ;) Apart from TFC, this league is the most useless "pro" sports league in the world!

MUFC_Niagara
11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Fort York Redcoat, I can handle the quality not being the greatest.....i think why we label it a 'subpar' league is that they haven't gotten it inline with the fifa calender for starters....i know everyone has there other reasons i.e. playoffs as opposed to a single table, the rediculous roster restrictions, plastic pitches, etc....

Benficachop20
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't know where else to put this, but anybody watching the pregame today? Lalas is on and i want to make sure i heard it right. Did he just say that Brian Mcbride is the best header of the ball in the sport?

trane
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
^ That is just the kind of shit, that the Yanks say that drives me fucking nuts, and turns me of the fucking MLS. They overate their fucking tallent like fucking crazy. It is iritating as hell.

DinamoTFC
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Are you watching from a stream - which one? Im watching on TVU but the quality is horrible.

Benficachop20
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
im watching it on my satellite, but try this site for streams http://rojadirecta.org/

DinamoTFC
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks, found a much better stream.

Pachuco
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Well you can put me down as one of those fans that watches MLS ONLY because TFC is in it. The MLS as a league is quite sad to watch when there is European football, hockey, american football and basketball on. And so what? does that mean I shouldn't follow TFC at all? simply because when they aren't playing my priorities are other professional sports leagues?

I don't follow the NHL when the Leafs aren't playing, does that mean I should stop following the Leafs?

Fort York Redcoat
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Don't know where else to put this, but anybody watching the pregame today? Lalas is on and i want to make sure i heard it right. Did he just say that Brian Mcbride is the best header of the ball in the sport?

^ That is just the kind of shit, that the Yanks say that drives me fucking nuts, and turns me of the fucking MLS. They overate their fucking tallent like fucking crazy. It is iritating as hell.

Cannot agree more. I know there are Americans on the board but I'm sure they've noticed it's the American way to be TOLD how good something is and irritating how difficult it is to find balanced analysis. It's sad it seems they would rather lie to their people then see their limitations and be proud of their true standing.