PDA

View Full Version : Huckerby wins MLS newcomer of the year award

MG42
11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081111&content_id=203019&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

MLS also announced today that San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Darren Huckerby was voted the 2008 MLS Newcomer of the Year. Huckerby scored six goals and assisted on four others in just 14 games after joining the Earthquakes in midseason.

Damien
11-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I think he deserved it.

Shaughno
11-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Can't think of a bigger impact player that came this season

Beach_Red
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Did this announcement come early enough for it to be mentioned at yesterday's board meeting?

The Kingpin
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
What a kick in the bottle... :)

Is this where I say, get some grass... :0

romburgundy
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Can't think of a bigger impact player that came this season

Did you say Impact?

That word should be banned from this board until we get our Canada cup back!

I know you were not referring to LesDochesbut still

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Has anyone put up numbers as to how much the city is making off of renting the stadium out?

Because that should be compared to whatever revenue/profit was lost by not being in the playoffs this year. Which I am sure we would have been had Huckerby signed with us.

You gotta talk plain numbers to these people. More money than renting = Grass.

Beach_Red
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Has anyone put up numbers as to how much the city is making off of renting the stadium out?

Because that should be compared to whatever revenue/profit was lost by not being in the playoffs this year. Which I am sure we would have been had Huckerby signed with us.

Except it was a condition of the federal government money, wasn't it, that the stadium be available year round? In that case a straight numbers argument wouldn't work, 'cause you know, it's the feds...

But certainly there's an argument for another year round facility and grass at BMO.

jabbronies
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
looks like Mo was right to try and sign this guy. Maybe he needs to be fired for not landing him??

C.Ronaldo
11-11-2008, 01:40 PM
was there a discovery claim on him?

yellowfellow
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Grass is one of the problems for him. Another reason for him going to SJ is he wants the California weather.

JonO
11-11-2008, 04:32 PM

This argument falls down because, if I recall correctly, the lost money from renting the field out. The point is that the government provided money so that the facility could be rented out. I really hope this changes soon, but until then...

Roogsy
11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I understand that. But during tough economic times, money is king. And if MLSE can make a case for more revenue by not renting out the field but bringing in a player who otherwise wouldn't because of grass, I think the city and province would listen. Especially if MLSE makes it clear they would contribute to establishing public soccer fields elsewhere.

Beach_Red
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I understand that. But during tough economic times, money is king. And if MLSE can make a case for more revenue by not renting out the field but bringing in a player who otherwise wouldn't because of grass, I think the city and province would listen. Especially if MLSE makes it clear they would contribute to establishing public soccer fields elsewhere.

Yes, if they would contribute to other public soccer fields.

As far as the government is concerned it's about access. If MLSE can make sure there is just as much access, it should be fine. This was mentioned when the Edu money came in.

Of course, it is tough to prove that the turf was the reason. Huckerby also said the California lifestyle and there are lots of other reasons players could give for going elsewhere - want to be in the USA, or a particular city, or whatever, but I agree, as many excuses as possibke should be eliminated.

Plus, it's fucking obvious when you watch guys run on it and see the weird bounces the ball takes (or doesn't) that the turf just isn't right!

TheRenter
11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
great news, for him and sj, now go suck a lemon:hump:

AL-MO
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
He's a pussy, he's an ass
He can't take Toronto's grass
Huckerby, Huckerbeeeeeeeee